• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
That scene where he creates a smile with his blood in the end will go down in movie history as one of the iconic moments . I felt it immediately when I saw the first screening and again when I saw it the second time. The color, the background, the music it fit more perfectly than almost anything in the movie

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really didn't like it very much. It just felt miserable and paced kind of poorly. It also felt like half of a film and wouldn't be able to stand on its own. I immediately compared it to Rogue One on exiting the cinema.

But it had some technical excellence. Some shots were great and JP was really strong here.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
This movie has some of the best cinematography in recent memory for me, it was honestly breathtaking at times. The use of empty space, sense of isolation, obtuse composition - it all works so amazingly well.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I really really don't understand the critics on this one, it's an instant classic with some of the best moments and acting I have ever seen. All the deaths that happened in the movie had an actual impact in my opinion and I was constantly blown away by Phoenix's performance. If that man doesn't win an Oscar next year they should cancel the Oscar's in general.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
this was fine. an OK King of Comedy/Taxi Driver homage propped up by a generational actor.

Totally did not expect the choice of music for the stairway dancing scene, kinda killed the mood for me. Expected more classy old timey songs, not something you'd hear in a sports stadium. Thought the movie was okay, kind of left with a "so that was it?" feeling. Not worth the outrage but also the feels bland compared to the praise I see of it.
yep, that scene fell flat.

it's shame too because the music selection and original score was super on-point otherwise.

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't believe how many young kids were at my screening last night. Like 12 year olds with their parents. WTF is wrong with some people?

Oct 28, 2017
That scene where he creates a smile with his blood in the end will go down in movie history as one of the iconic moments . I felt it immediately when I saw the first screening and again when I saw it the second time. The color, the background, the music it fit more perfectly than almost anything in the movie
The music in that scene is SERRRRIOOUUUSSS

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Movie was OK, fell flat and felt slow at certain points. Story was all over the place.
Some great cinematography and Joaquin Phoenix was in great form.
I'd say 3/5, worth a rent not really movie theatre material.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeeeeeah, that scene is seared into my mind right now. Chills ran down my spine both times I saw it in the theater.

Hoping to experience it a third time on the big screen if possible.

Abraxas

Feb 16, 2018
Dallas
I was almost expecting some sort of mouth scarring from the car crash, though guess that would remove some of the "it was all a dream" ambiguity from the ending in the asylum...

Oct 28, 2017
I almost cried at this part. Poor Arthur. And that laugh as he's reading the truth. The laugh was such a brilliant way to show his pain.

That shot of Arthur in the background looking in closer at his mom. Woof

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
Easily the best scene in the movie, it is going to be a classic.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back.... and well, that was certainly something.

Haven't had an emotional response to a film like that in a while. Most of it had to do with the crowd I watched it with I think. Let's just say me and my brother just looked at each other during the final act and felt a bit weird with the amount of people laughing and cheering.

Some shots are going to stay with me for a bit, Phoenix looked creepy as hell at times, and the story of a man diving into madness was directed well enough, but judging by the reaction of the crowd it's got me wondering what reaction Phillips was going for. For a story about Joker I guess the emotional chaos fits.

I know it makes me sound like a straight up prude, and I know it's just a movie, but man I still can't get over the vibe in the theater. Haven't felt that uncomfortable in a movie ever, and in a sense I suppose that's what a character like Joker should make you feel.

Would like to see at again and see how the experience changes.

I felt the exact same way at the end of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Now *that's* a movie that expects you to howl and cheer at brutal, gratuitous violence.

My audience was perfect: the guy in front of me laughed a little *too* hard at something early on, which had me edgy af, but there was almost no laughter in the theater throughout. You could hear a pin drop most of the time, but every time The Gun showed up there'd be these collective gasps.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That scene where the Wall Street Bros know all the words to Send in the Clowns was pretty terrible.

If people can excuse Laura for having memorized an entire speech she saw one time on tv at the end of Logan, rich douches knowing maybe a third to half of Send In The Clowns is fine.

I'm really surprised more people aren't upset at the dwarfism bigotry. I guess we aren't there as a society yet, but that was honestly the thing I was most bothered by when leaving the theater.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a part of me that wants more movies in this world, with this tone, but I'm also glad that this is mostly a one and done. I wouldn't want Batman running around doing superhero shit in this version of that world.
Also a billionaire running around beating people and defending status quo would feel strange after watching this movie.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I got three theories.

1. He's thinking what he will do when he gets out.
  2. He's thinking of what he has done.
  3. He's thinking of what he'd like to do.

4. His mind turns to Bruce at that moment because he knows he's passed on his miserable fatherless childhood on to another boy who'll grow up to be as fucked up as he was.

"You wouldn't get it."

Also HOLD UP -- was that guy at the Wayne Manor gates supposed to be Alfred?!

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4. His mind turns to Bruce at that moment because he knows he's passed on his miserable fatherless childhood on to another boy who'll grow up to be as fucked up as he was.

"You wouldn't get it."

Also HOLD UP -- was that guy at the Wayne Manor gates supposed to be Alfred?!

Look at the OP 😉

That was underwhelming for me honestly. He didn't seem fitting for that role.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
This film was poorly constructed and plotted. Phoenix did better work in YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE.

I didn't expect much from Phillips, so I did not leave disappointed. The film was not deserving of the chatter surrounding it. Lousy work.

EDIT: At the risk of sounding extremely self-righteous (shit, maybe I am) this is the kind of film where when I'm confronted by people who like it, I question if I should find a different line of work.
Lol your avatar checks out.

I thought it was excellent but to each their own. I also think you have to watch the movie with a certain mindset to enjoy it probably.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix absolutely knocked it out of the park with his performance and the cinematography was flat out stunning. Loved it.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The movie should have ended during that powerful shot of Joker standing on the hood of the car with everyone around him cheering. The scenes after that were unnecessary and didn't add much.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Just got back - film is an absolute masterpiece! One of the finest character driven performances ive ever seen from Phoenix! Just outstanding!!

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
My view of folks who say the film is bad but every scene in which Phoenix is in is good....... Phoenix IS in every scene in the movie literally. it's a pure character driven movie. You cannot separate the movie from the character because there is 0 scenes with someone else on screen apart from Wayne's getting killed. Think about it. 99.99% of the movie had joker as its only focus

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get over how awful and heavy handed the writing was. That scene where the camera lingers on his journal and his passage about mental illness, or when he's on the talk show and rants, "this is what happens...". Shit was cringe inducing. Hollywood's use and portrayal of mental illness remains trash.

This movie thinks it's some intelligent piece of cinema and art when it's shallow as fuck. Parts of the movie, like Joaquin's performance or the score are actually quiet good, but the writing is absolutely terrible top to bottom that it undermines the whole movie

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Actually i found it clever, if you ever been given one on the street/bus by someone with an illness you get this mixed feeling of compasion, sadness, pity and awkwardness...

Yeah, after he gives it to the mother, she stops being mad but still has this look that's exactly as you described, maybe with some disgust thrown in. Still kind of mad at him but feeling guilty about it, awkward and disgusted.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how people can say this movie is up its own ass compared to all the self-indulgent Manichean monologues of The Dark Knight. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall ever hearing the words "hero", "villain", or "evil" in what's ostensibly a supervillain origin story.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There it is!

Let's go $100m!l opening weekend!

Joker earned a bigger opening day than Logan, Wonder Woman, Venom and, yes, Justice League.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I don't understand the critics on this one. It was an emotionally driven movie with terrific acting and a great score. The movie made you sympathize with Arthur to a certain degree.

Last edited:

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
The movie should have ended during that powerful shot of Joker standing on the hood of the car with everyone around him cheering. The scenes after that were unnecessary and didn't add much.
I agree. I had the same thought. The part with him in Arkham State seemed completely pointless to me. Even if it was supposed to be an ambiguous way to say it was all in his head (which I don't think is the case) it gives you no reason to believe that.

I'm honestly not sure why people are assuming a lot of the movie could just be Arthur in his own mind. To me, the movie clearly let's you know when Arthur is just imagining.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the critics on this one. It was an emotionally driven movie with terrific acting and a great score. The movie made you sympathize with Joker to a certain degree.
For me, the movie sympathized with Arthur, not Joker. The character of Joker was only in the last 20 minutes of the movie, and after the Murry death scene, all the sympathy points were thrown out.

Nov 13, 2017
Really? It felt so corny to me. I knew as soon as he stood up that he would do it. They've done blood smiles in so many other movies before.

I thought the talk show interview was far more memorable.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
For me, the movie sympathized with Arthur, not Joker. The character of Joker was only in the last 20 minutes of the movie, and after the Murry death scene, all the sympathy points were thrown out.

I interpreted it that the Joker first surfaced in the bathroom after the first killing with the slow dancing. Almost as if the new persona was an internal defense mechanism for Arthur dealing with tramatic events. Looking at the reflection of this new person in the mirror. Another awesome moment was later the slow dancing begins behind the curtains before his appearance. Then bam, curtains open and he spins onto the stage. It's all The Joker now.