• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is very subjective but for those that saw the movie would you say Phoenix performance as the Joker is on par or even surpass Ledger's joker?
They're like different characters to be honest. Phoenix's is a wonderfully acted pathectic pyscho, Ledger's is like the devil, an out of context villian tempting people and quite funny. I prefer Ledger's who was like a more grunge scarier reinterpretion and I guess that's why modern jokers have been so edgy, but I wouldn't mind if they do a back to basics and funnier version.

Oct 28, 2017
Do people think this movie has more to say than the Dark Knight? Can't say I've gotten that impression at all. They both just seem like vehicles for a wild performance for an actor portraying a psychopath that don't say much of anything. Joker seems way less coherent as a movie and definitely less compelling than his role as a foil to Batman in the Dark Knight. The shitting on Marvel movies seems like peak fanboy bullshit from this perspective.

No. The Dark Knight deployed its themes in a more subtle way ... it was also the smarter movie overall

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This movie...holy fuck what a movie.
This shit deserves 10000000000 billions and a giant Joaquin statue in the middle of Hollywood.
61a152e5-17f6-476b-a6x4jvn.gif

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
So more villain origin films that plays out more as a character study are coming?

If so, I'd love an R-rated Carnage origin story
I really hope so.

If DC can start getting all the immensely talented actors and directors that turn their nose up at the genre to come in and do one offs I would be in heaven.

Seeing characters and stories being 1:1 doesn't excite me. Creatives getting free reign does.

This movie took balls in this political climate and I doubt that goes unnoticed in the industry.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"We'll hunt him because he can take it, because he's not our hero he's a silent guardian a watchful protector a dark knight". That was not a single theme in that film that was not explicitly spelled out to you.

I mean not just that part, but even Batman saying "sometimes people deserve more, to have their faith rewarded" or whatever, blah, blah, blah. And Gordon going on and on about how they bet it all on Harvey. The last 2-3 minutes of the film are basically "lets stop and tell you directly what this is about with a hammer over your head", lol.

It works but largely because Hans Zimmer's score is kicking ass, but yeah it's very blatant hand holding.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Not a particularly great film, but it held my attention. I'd love to see Joaquin's Joker up against Batman, though. I really don't get tired of that feud.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I mean not just that part, but even Batman saying "sometimes people deserve more, to have their faith rewarded" or whatever, blah, blah, blah. And Gordon going on and on about how they bet it all on Harvey. The last 2-3 minutes of the film are basically "lets stop and tell you directly what this is about with a hammer over your head", lol.

It works but largely because Hans Zimmer's score is kicking ass, but yeah it's very blatant hand holding.
I know, i was pointing to another part that they decided to lampshade the meaning behind the title of the film. Really made sure not a single person left without knowing explicitly every single them that was explored.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope so.

If DC can start getting all the immensely talented actors and directors that turn their nose up at the genre to come in and do one offs I would be in heaven.

Seeing characters and stories being 1:1 doesn't excite me. Creatives getting free reign does.

This movie took balls in this political climate and I doubt that goes unnoticed in the industry.
Call me when DC has the balls to make a solo Lois Lane movie. Making a Joker movie was always a safe bet no matter how it was gonna be made.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Call me when DC has the balls to make a solo Lois Lane movie. Making a Joker movie was always a safe bet no matter how it was gonna be made.
Y'all got mad when Sony says it wants to make an Aunt May movie but now we're pitching Lois Lane movies?

Finally some progress. Give me my Renee Montoya movie next

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
This movie reminded me of Breaking Bad in the best possible way. Need to rewatch that series asap lol

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
i really enjoyed it. Not sure if i want to watch again but i might have to just so i can look for details i missed the first time. Its definitely not a fun watch!

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
No. The Dark Knight deployed its themes in a more subtle way
The Dark Knight isn't remotely subtle in its theming. People quote its theming all the time. Almost every principal character is allowed to monologue at length their personal motivations and conclusions about the tone of the film with constant reminders that the Joker's true power was to rip morals out of a story and do things because he wanted the world to burn, a phrase stated out loud in a room with two people in it halfway through the film. The finale is Gary Oldman delivering yet another moral of the story. TDK is a sterling example of "tell, don't show" in filmmaking.

KingOfComedy

Alt account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
Its not best JP acting considering a masterpiece like The Master exists.

Its not best movie of todd philipps which i still think Hangover 1 is much more original and better written.

But still in sea of garbage movies its always good to see some actual movies making more money

KingOfComedy

Alt account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
Lol he does. But I still feel like the Dark Knight explored more interesting themes and weaved them into the narrative in a more organic way.

The Dark Knight actually takes a position. And had moral clarity. JOKER doesn't. It glorifies a killer
So does all other movies and games that glorifies killers. I dont see you posting about them though

Oct 28, 2017
The Dark Knight isn't remotely subtle in its theming. People quote its theming all the time. Almost every principal character is allowed to monologue at length their personal motivations and conclusions about the tone of the film with constant reminders that the Joker's true power was to rip morals out of a story and do things because he wanted the world to burn, a phrase stated out loud in a room with two people in it halfway through the film. The finale is Gary Oldman delivering yet another moral of the story. TDK is a sterling example of "tell, don't show" in filmmaking.

Some themes are more spelled out than others. Still, the themes in the Dark Knight are way more interesting and challenging than anything in the morally vapid Joker

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Some themes are more spelled out than others. Still, the themes in the Dark Knight are way more interesting and challenging than anything in the morally vapid Joker
Arguably nothing borne of a comic book is going to feature subtle theming. Existing familiarity with the characters plus the fact that comic books almost always let you read minds means you don't have to puzzle out what anything means. The ceiling is low here so a competition to be more 'subtle' is not a great qualitative yardstick for this genre.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
So how much of it's box office success do we think can be attributed to the fact that the film launched in October when there's no real competition?

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"We'll hunt him because he can take it, because he's not our hero he's a silent guardian a watchful protector a dark knight". There was not a single theme in that film that was not explicitly spelled out to you.

I don't even know what that quote means though. It seemed to be in love with itself too much at times.

Oct 28, 2017
Arguably nothing borne of a comic book is going to feature subtle theming. Existing familiarity with the characters plus the fact that comic books almost always let you read minds means you don't have to puzzle out what anything means. The ceiling is low here so a competition to be more 'subtle' is not a great qualitative yardstick for this genre.
Quibble over the use of the word subtlety all you like, the bottom line is the Dark Knight is a more thematically rich film than Joker

So how much of it's box office success do we think can be attributed to the fact that the film launched in October when there's no real competition?
What exactly would it have competed with in any other month? All the attention was based on the character and the raves for the actor in that role, so I don't think this film would have had many issues doing really well in any month.