• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I hope executives take the right lessons from this and just don't inundate us with stripped down R-rated Batman universe films.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. Great movie. Phoenix's performance, the cinematography and score are all fucking amazing.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
tumblr_mo2t6lb8U11s00ervo2_r1_250.gif

I wonder how much its success will push WB to be more bold with other DC properties.

I guess we'll see if Birds of Prey keeps up the momentum or slams on the brakes.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Didn't care for Joker outside of the cinematography and score (and morbid curiosity), but if a byproduct of this movie is taking some more chances on what defines a "superhero" movie, maybe it works out.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Phoenix's performance, the cinematography and the score, but wasn't too hot about the script. But hey, maybe this will lead to more different/experimental super hero films.

....Or it could just lead to more studios making shit like Venom. Ugh.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
The real question now is of it can dethrone Passion of Christ for the domestic total.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't care for Joker outside of the cinematography and score (and morbid curiosity), but if a byproduct of this movie is taking some more chances on what defines a "superhero" movie, maybe it works out.

I wouldn't be shocked if we started to see more movies like Joker that could completely stand on their own as an original story, but the superhero IP is slapped on for a cool $600m boost at the box office.

Honestly don't even see anything wrong with that. It's how the comics themselves have been written for 80 years. New authors come through and give their new take on a character we all recognize. These movies don't just have to be adaptations of the stories we've already read.

That said, I don't know how many Marvel or DC characters have the cache of a Joker, where you could get away with a low budget, R-rated character study like this without any big explosions or action in the third act.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Was a good movie; benefited from the superhero boon going on and Joker being one of the most known characters in the comic book world.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The next Batman is gonna just be Bruce in therapy with lots of flashbacks.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Hasn't released in China?
Do they plan to release it out there with what's going on, there's a lot of civil unrest stuff in it.

I thought it was alright I guess, mostly just depressing and the end really does seem to aggrandize his depravity vs the lead up just painting the life of a genuinely broken man.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Word of mouth around me has been good. I have avoided spoilers and $5 movie night next Tuesday is calling my name.