• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Bradbury

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I think he's right to a certain extent, but he's being incredibly hyperbolic and sounds like a bit of an ass. It's true that comedians have to walk on eggshells nowadays compared to previous eras in comedy. I wouldn't say humor is dead though.
Don´t be an asshole attacking minorities and you´ll be fine
Or attack them and get a netflix special and you´ll be fine
horrible eggshells they have to walk

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah fuck this guy. He's an absolute moron. I defended the movie simply because I dont want liberals to start blaming entertainment for real world violence but this guy really needs to shut up. I mean he can say what he wants but there are consequences to those words.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Comedy doesn't die, but it can date, for sure, but even then, it can be timeless too.

Ghostbusters is still funny. Revenge of the Nerds is not. That's just the way it goes.

Don't do dated comedy. Problem solved.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
If you literally can't think of a way to make someone laugh other than deprecating marginalized people, then you're probably not a very good comedian.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How offensive the joke is depends on how good of a comedian you are. If you're really good you can get away with pretty much anything

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Acknowledging that gays and minorities exist and that your jokes that use the words f***** and n***** are hurtful = "walking on eggshells"

That's a hell of take you got there, friendo...

It ain't even a difficult fucking thing to acknowledge

It ain't even unheard of for the acknowledging to happen. Eddie Murphy apologized last week for his ignorance and offensive jokes that he made in 30 year old comedy specials because he re-watched them and realized how potentially harmful they were

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
He has directed some of my favorite comedies, Old School among my all time favorite movies. I hope he continues to make more.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
I was skeptical of how the take on the movie was here on ERA and similar places...But yeah, this dude can get ******. And so can his movie.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Acknowledging that gays and minorities exist and that your jokes that use the words f***** and n***** are hurtful = "walking on eggshells"

You don't have to walk on fucking eggshells. You just can't rely on sexist or racist or homophobic crap for comedy. Why is that so fucking hard?!
When did I say any of that is okay? I said "to a certain extent" for a reason. There are multitudes of levels of humor in between clean stuff and gay bashing/using slurs. I'm not okay with that stuff.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
That Phillips explicitly cites Scorsese's works but ALSO states that Joker wasn't meant to "push buttons" just throws up red flags about style over substance. I mean, could you imagine films like Taxi Driver, Wolf of Wall Street, or The Last Temptation of Christ pushing buttons?

It's like how Snyder adapted Watchmen because it was "cool" and managed to miss the entire fucking point of what Alan Moore was trying to say.

This is 100% on point.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
You don't have to walk on eggshells to do comedy. Frankly you can just make fun of the rich by skewering them as awful people with unconscionable hobbies and not only would people laugh they're at the point where they'd probably believe it's actually true.

I'll skip the long of it and just get right to the punchline

"I see. And what do you call this act?"
"The Trump presidency!"

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. Even with all the mess, this movie was going to be a black hole of controversy and infamy that distract from its quality. But the director is running the risk of crushing it into a really stupid place.

Again, Dear Hollywood. You need a Guy. I can be your Guy to thread the needle on tricky subjects. Half the people in this thread could do this in their sleep. Here you go Joker director, a proper response.

"I admit I've been surprised by some of the controversy around this film - I think our vision was clear - to tell a story about a sad man pushed into a bad place and how that trauma transforms him into one of media's most memorable figures. We're not trying to lionize him - on the contrary if you watch this movie you'll definitely see how a "legend" is born, but not all legends are noble or good and if there's a lesson in this story, it's that human frailty and human rage are only ever one moment apart. I remember reading articles about Taxi Driver when it released and while I'm not comparing my film to that classic, there's some similarities in how the narrative can spread outside of the confines of the film. I hope that people see it for what it is and not what shape people want it to fit."

That one's on the house. Maroons.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
f16.jpg

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Sorry but if you can't find a way to make jokes and not offend people you lack both humor and creativity.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the greatest trick the joker ever pulled was convincing the world that comedy itself was a little... fucked up

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
All these assholes blaming 'woke culture' because they can't be assholes and racists anymore.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017

this is like the assholes that are so worried about being around women because of metoo. the solutions to their problems are INCREDIBLY EASY and yet they still cry about it.

All these assholes blaming 'woke culture' because they can't be assholes and racists anymore.

simple as that. and honestly, for the most part, they still can be. because they are. and wont change.

Azzazel

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how everyone in the production team of this movie feels about the douchie director saying stupid shit just before the release of what seems to be a critical darling.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
We were reliving the mid 2000s a couple weeks ago with Tool putting out a song and WoW Classic coming out. Now we're back to the 90s with this death of comedy thanks to the PC culture. I can only guess how far we'll regress in a month.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Bill Burr has also been recorded as saying that he "doesn't see" this massive woke backlash against his comedy. It's almost like you can still push boundaries and be offensive while also being self aware in a way that doesn't alienate entire populations from enjoying your comedy.
It's why I said in brackets "i think". My first reaction was that Bill Burr would agree but when I really thought about it, he pushes boundaries but to my knowledge hasn't crossed any lines and I don't see massive manifestos against his comedy

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I listen to hours of podcasts every week that are mostly comedy and somehow they manage to be both funny and not racist, sexist or homophobic.

Comedy does not mean you have to be shitty to people.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would you believe because of Dave? His last special was like 40 minutes of him whining about how he can't make fun of the lgbt community, how it should be okay for him to say f*ggot, how women are to blame for Louis C.K. masturbating in front of them, and it's women's fault for the bullshit abortion bans.

And yet he still made plenty of money off of that special. So nah woke culture isn't ruining comedy.

I'm talking about the part of comedians being scared of "woke culture". I find it believeable, Whether or not it's justified, eh it depends. What Dave did was he used it to his advantage and everyone fell for it.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
He sure isn't saying anything to shake my confidence that Joker won't have anything of value to say.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Eh, Fleabag season 2 pretty recently came out. Fleabag is among the best comedies of all time, so I think I have to disagree with this take. This isn't the first time I've heard this claim, but so far I haven't noticed a notable dip in quality of comedy. Maybe "woke culture" could be the death of shitty comedy? I wouldn't mind that, but internet atleast makes sure that shitty "comedy" will never die either.

Edit: Lol right, he did Hangover movies. I'd describe those as death of comedy too.

Last edited:

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, okay but I don't know what that has to do with his statement

It's a passive agreement to avoid confrontation.

I'm still unnerved by the unconditional defending people have been doing towards this movie. Half the responses in the thread about them disinviting the press were 'Can you blame them?'.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Even of this is all part of the marketing plan, love how he is showing us how much we were on the money about him.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
His PR guy should have told him to shut the fuck up.

Really doing Todd a disservice not shutting him up.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
Comedians just need to get better jokes that work with modern audiences. It's true that today's woke culture has killed a lot of jokes that previously worked, but that's a good thing and is not a new phenomenon. Many overtly racist, sexist, and homophobic jokes have been killed over the years because of changing attitudes and opinions of the audience. Any comedian who whines about this shit is just lazy and doesn't want to have to change with the times they live in.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Comedy isnt dead. In fact, the comedy coming out recently is some of the best its ever been. Talk to any good comedian and they will tell you we are currently in a comedy boom with a whole new wave of amazing people.

People like Segura, Kreischer, Burr, Distefano, Cummings, Glaser... so many amazing acts right now.

Yes, cheap shitty punch down comedy is dying (for good reason), but just because the shitty easy jokes arent acceptable any more does not mean that comedy is dead. In fact, it just means that the best comedians are rising to the top because talent is outshining idiot edgelord comedians.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
Chapelle and Bill Burr just had two great and successful specials, though. Maybe it's harder if you want to get into comedy? No idea actually, but successful comedians are still doing fine.

yeah. no serious person is actually demanding Chappelle or Burr to be completely ruined financially or anything like that, they just gotta learn to take more criticism if they say something tasteless or hurtful.

deal with it, comedians? go buy a new house or a boat or something if you're feeling bad.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What a dumbass. Yeah that's why Dave Chapelle, Bill Burr, and Louis CK have all fallen on hard times lol

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was his latest special and yeah, some of his jokes are debatable, but all in all I still think it was a good special.

Debatable? Dude his special had a huge ass portion of this in it.
Why would you believe because of Dave? His last special was like 40 minutes of him whining about how he can't make fun of the lgbt community, how it should be okay for him to say f*ggot, how women are to blame for Louis C.K. masturbating in front of them, and it's women's fault for the bullshit abortion bans.

And yet he still made plenty of money off of that special. So nah woke culture isn't ruining comedy.

there's nothing debatable about it. It was trash.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
joker's trick
@jokers_trick
10 minutes ago

People today are too sensitive. Nowadays when you try to blow up a hospital, people get mad at you. It's really killing comedy.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Bill Burr would agree with this (I think), but is also an example himself of why this isn't true

still need to see his newest one but yeah, having seen him live talking about #metoo and such - this post is totally true. im sure if i heard him on a podcast or something he'd totally cogsin some of this, and then get on stage and kinda prove why it isnt.

which is why i enjoy dude so much these days, and kinda treat chapelle like he should be put out to pasture