• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I assume it won't be censored?

I really hate how Crunchyroll never replaces its censored simulcast shows with uncensored versions later down the line.
When I watched Jojo season 1 on CR right before Stardust came out, it was the uncensored version. I don't know what thy've done since but they did in that instance.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not in the UK.
cPMJbvq.gif

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I started watching this now. Never seen it before. It's censored. Oh, and I'm watching it subbed, but a lot of people seem to like the dub. Should I switch?

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I started watching this now. Never seen it before. It's censored. Oh, and I'm watching it subbed, but a lot of people seem to like the dub. Should I switch?
The English dub isn't that great for Parts 1 and 2. The decision to give people exaggerated accents is controversial, and I'm fine with it, but the voice direction isn't the best regardless. It gets better with Part 3, and the Part 4 dub has been fantastic.

I recommend sticking to the subs.

Oct 26, 2017
I might rewatch both Parts soon.
Phantom Blood is more enjoyable with hindsight and some unintentional comedy. Battle Tendency is still one of the best JoJo parts.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Battle Tendency's dub is perfect but JoJo is so uniquely Japanese to me I kind of have to watch it subbed.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna make my girlfriend watch with me.

Hopefully they adapt part 6 and then 7. Part 7 is top 3 Jojo to me

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Watching now. Is this current, or was this made in the 90s? Have always known the name but never got around to watching it.

Edit: Says it's from 2012, but there were earlier JoJo series, no?

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching now. Is this current, or was this made in the 90s? Have always known the name but never got around to watching it.

Edit: Says it's from 2012, but there were earlier JoJo series, no?

JoJo is a manga that started in the 80s. There's been some games, OVAs and a film here and there but this is the first dedicated and complete adaptation of the material we're seeing.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, nice. Two episodes in and I love the ridiculous melodrama.

Yeah specifically there was a 1993 OVA of a cut up adaptation of the second half of Part 3: Stardust Crusaders, then a 2000 OVA of the first half of P3. Both adaptations cut out a LOT of the series and also were very serious in their tone, so even though the 93 OVA had some directorial powerhouses and stellar animation, it's let down by the tone. Then 2007 got a Part 1: Phantom Blood movie that apparently was so bad it's never seen the light of day.

There was a late 90's PS1 and Dreamcast Capcom fighter that had an HD remaster on X360 and PS3, but I believe has since been delisted.

The 2012 adaptation of Parts 1 and 2 coincided with the 25 anniversary of the manga, and now here in 2019 we are a little over halfway through the anime of Part 5: Golden Wind.

The manga is currently deep into Part 8, and is monthly so it's been running since 2011 and still has at least 2-3 years left to go.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah specifically there was a 1993 OVA of a cut up adaptation of the second half of Part 3: Stardust Crusaders, then a 2000 OVA of the first half of P3. Both adaptations cut out a LOT of the series and also were very serious in their tone, so even though the 93 OVA had some directorial powerhouses and stellar animation, it's let down by the tone. Then 2007 got a Part 1: Phantom Blood movie that apparently was so bad it's never seen the light of day.

There was a late 90's PS1 and Dreamcast Capcom fighter that had an HD remaster on X360 and PS3, but I believe has since been delisted.

The 2012 adaptation of Parts 1 and 2 coincided with the 25 anniversary of the manga, and now here in 2019 we are a little over halfway through the anime of Part 5: Golden Wind.

The manga is currently deep into Part 8, and is monthly so it's been running since 2011 and still has at least 2-3 years left to go.

Thanks. I remember seeing stuff for it in the 90s. Must have been what you mentioned. Might check out the manga on Shonen Jump if I dig the anime.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
I just started JoJo's like a month ago and I'm already to the currently undubbed episodes of Golden Wind. I haven't watched an anime series in forever but between the music reference names (although the subs/dub kind of mess that up) and runway explosion poses it really has its hooks in me.