• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mikachu

Oct 25, 2017
Adored this film. Funny and serious and personally just the film I needed right now.

The line about being alive for one more day is winning against the nazis really hit home

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Holy shit it's not that people don't understand it's satire. It's that its satire-game (especially for Waititi) is weak as hell.

I've said it before but it feels like a sanitised Wes Anderson rip off.

Was more talking about the general impression i have about people not getting something is satire unless you explain it to them clearly, be it movies or anthing else!

I have no idea about the movie itself, and didn't read everyone impression in this thread, was just commenting on the poster...

But that's definitely concerning, now i'm affraid i'll be disappointed... hopefully i!ll still have a good time

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Holy shit it's not that people don't understand it's satire. It's that its satire-game (especially for Waititi) is weak as hell.

I've said it before but it feels like a sanitised Wes Anderson rip off.

I'm game for more sanitized Wes Anderson rip-offs if this is one. Fight me. In the sea of mediocre paint by numbers sludge Hollywood churns out this still stands out to me as something worthwhile. Not the best Waititi has done and also not the best in the genre but entertaining, solid stuff with some great acting.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
What about this reminds you of Wes Anderson?
There are some similar comedic beats and some of the way the film is shot could be convincingly taken as an Anderson movie without any of his regulars, but it's otherwise a poor comparison that people are parroting from a review.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Saw this today, it's really good. Tried really hard not to cry after THAT scene and everything after it. The whole cinema laughed and cheered at the
fuck off, Hitler!
moment, which was nice since the cinema is usually dead quiet during viewings.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Loved it. Saw a lot of Wes Anderson there and I didn't read anything about the movie, it's just easy to make that comparison, since you have a little Moonrise Kingdom atmosphere at the beginning. Plus, some super symmetrical and colorful framings. But it's a simple resemblance, the movie has its own style and it's cool to see Taika getting better and better as a director.
My favorite shot was the
windows' eyes. So good.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Saw this tonight and adored it. Easily the best of the big Oscar movies that I've seen. Had a huge grin on my face when the music kicked in at the end and ALMOST shed a tear. What a wonderful moment that was.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked it, very poignant but to be honest not that funny. I think I might have enjoyed it more without the imaginary Hitler stuff.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Saw this movie, and I really enjoyed it, a rollercoast of emotions

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Watched it a couple of nights ago and I'm really glad I didn't read anything about it, so I was expecting only comedy because Waititi, but it ended up wowing me and holy shit the whole third act... wow!
The whole theater went silent during that moment you'll SHOErely know I'm talking about, it caught us off guard.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Ended up seeing it again as someone mentioned it (and it was playing at the time we had available), and it's still great the second viewing.
Saw this tonight and adored it. Easily the best of the big Oscar movies that I've seen. Had a huge grin on my face when the music kicked in at the end and ALMOST shed a tear. What a wonderful moment that was.
Honestly I teared up more at the ending this time, however that's likely because the first time I was fully teared up all of the third act.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this was excellent. Saw this last night and it was just fantastic all around and so emotional.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Just saw this.
I was surprised to see some reactions here on how they try to humanize Nazis.
This movie is presented from the perspective of a 10 year old boy that grew up surrounded with Nazi propaganda and worshiped Hitler.

You can see Hitler's mask falling in his last scene.

That marks the point where the kid finally realizes what kind of a person he truly is.

About the Captain and the fact they try to humanize him...it's clear why it happened.

It's not hard to imagine a lot of Nazis just...running along with it out of fear. It's also hinted he's gay in multiple occasions. Also that he knew what his mom was up to. When those guys are searching for their house and the captain goes there...it's clear at the end he knew the kid's mom was already dead. He also knew the girl WASN'T his sister since he knew she didn't know her own supposed date of birth.

I honestly loved it. The movie knows exactly what it wants to be and never fails to deliver on the more serious moments...like THAT scene.

The room where i saw the movie just gasped when we recognize that pair of shoes.

Scarlet was amazing in this by the way. I seriously hope she takes at least one of her Oscars...but if she takes both i wouldn't be mad honestly.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Scarlet was amazing in this by the way. I seriously hope she takes at least one of her Oscars...but if she takes both i wouldn't be mad honestly.
Glad you enjoyed it, and I agree I loved her performance. Supporting actress would be great to see, but I've not seen Parasite yet.
Digital on February 4
Blu-ray on February 18.
Oh that's soon! It will be the first movie I've bought in quite a while, since the first John Wick I think.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Just seen it and... It was a pretty weak satire, no subtlety at all, I excepted more from Waititi

Sure there's some funny and cute moment here and there, I won't deny i had a nice little good time, but overall it wasn't anything special, i've seen the same story beats better in other movies

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Just seen it and... It was a pretty weak satire, no subtlety at all, I excepted more from Waititi

Sure there's some funny and cute moment here and there, I won't deny i had a nice little good time, but overall it wasn't anything special, i've seen the same story beats better in other movies
Would you provide some other movies that do it better? I'm curious to see more.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Saw it for the second time, sort of solidified how limp of a movie it is. Not particularly funny, not really insightful or biting at all, it's maybe one of the worst movies I've seen all year. Played much much better in a theater with a packed crowd imo. I didn't love it then, but it comes off way worse on second watch.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bought it on Vudu the second it went up and watched it for the first time. Absolutely amazing movie. Taika Waititi can do no wrong.

Also, loved the German version of Heroes during the credits.

Loved the movie. Still need to see Parasite, but this is my favorite of the Oscar's candidates!
Damn, I genuinely can't decide which of the two I liked the most.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Strange one this.

It wasn't particularly funny and the script was kinda weak.
But the performances elevated the material. Particularly Rockwell and Johansson.
It felt like it wanted to be a little smarter than it actually was.

That all said I enjoyed it well enough.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Found the story to be extremely safe and predictable. Wasn't really funny except for some early-Family Guy-grade humour in the first act, and even that was super predictable. The novel this is based on sounds much more interesting than this cookie cutter Hollywood borefest. I really wanted to like it, but alas.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Scarlett was amazing in this, signed. Roller coaster of a film, also agree with the Wes Anderson vibe.

FUCK OFF, HITLER! *KICK*

is now my moment of the year.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I loved it, thought it was really funny and clever and heartwarming at the same time. It is quite amazing how it manages this balancing act between some incredibly dark stuff, and the over the top humor.

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
I just watched the movie. I'm out of words, it's just incredible, brilliant movie. Besides the humor, you can see the horrors of war and dictatorships through the lens of child (with an oustanding performance from Roman Griffin Davis) and it's perfectly executed, perfect cast, writing, script. 9.5/10

Oct 25, 2017
This was from Reverse Shot's end fo the year piece:

Yet JoJo Rabbit is anything but a warning. It's an empathy machine gone into autopilot override, and the only obstacles to our pity for JoJo are naughty-naughty jokes in a sweet lispy coating, and celebrity-roast caricatures of Nazis as "vaguely effeminate." JoJo Rabbit ends with a Live Laugh Love meme and two kids dancing like no one from the Gestapo is watching. The audiences who've embraced it should really be asking themselves why Waititi makes it so we have an even easier time identifying with a Nazi than JoJo has identifying with a Jew.

Some of the pieces I've read from people who didn't like the film REALLY didn't like it.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's that one of the ideas of the movie was that it was/is (or whatever) almost too easy to identify with Nazis and that was/is a massive fucking problem?

Almost like he's making a statement about the current cultural and political climate with it.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Saw it last night and absolutely loved it.

I had some heavy 'Allo 'Allo vibes when Stephen Merchant turned up. People in this thread who had beef with Sam Rockwell's character portrayal would flip their shit if they saw 'Allo 'Allo.

Last edited:

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Some people just LOVE to hate things, especially if said thing is too close to something they love. Such an inexplicable human reaction.

Quite an entertaining film. Enjoyed it much more than I'd anticipated.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Not a fan of Taika but I actually enjoyed this more than I expected. The start was a bit rough but I liked the film overall :)

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The first third/half was a bit hit or miss. Didn't think the boy <-> Hitler dynamic worked all the time and there was some iffy dialogue & jokes that didn't land. After the... shoe scene, things took a noticeable turn to the better and it was pretty golden up until to the end.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
I was worried at the start, when it was all a bit too whimsical and Wes Anderson-lite, but when the tone gradually started to change, it improved a lot.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
This is the first Taika Waititi film I actually didn't like and I'm a big fan of the guy. It felt like it was trying really hard to be La Vita è Bella for this generation, but it bungled the execution.

The performances by the kids were great and some of the jokes are funny, but the combination jokes + serious stuff in this film didn't work at all for me (while it did in previous Waititi films). One moment the movie is super serious, then it's incredibly silly again.

so...like life?

There is nothing wrong with larger tonal shifts in well executed films.

This is a fantastic movie. Easily one of the tops in the last couple of years.

The best thing Scarlett Johansson has done.

I also have some major issues with
the main Nazi in this (Sam Rockwell) being secretly an okay dude. Can we please stop with that shit and just make Nazi's Nazi's?

It makes it feel like Waititi was pulling his punches by going "Yeah, the Nazi's were stupid and dumb, but maybe they weren't all that bad, eh? Maybe some officers were actually okay people?" I know this was not the intention, but for me it felt like it at least implied it. And that is a pretty weird message to even imply in a movie that's supposed to be a biting satire of Nazi's and Far Right assholes.

Just because a Nazi helped a little German boy not be killed by Americans he's suddenly a redeemed character? lol

I'm sure many nazi's helped little German boys and German ladies.

And he's immediately executed at the end...I doubt you should read this as Waititi letting him off easy

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
Finally watched this last night, phenomenal movie.

This was from Reverse Shot's end fo the year piece:

Yet JoJo Rabbit is anything but a warning. It's an empathy machine gone into autopilot override, and the only obstacles to our pity for JoJo are naughty-naughty jokes in a sweet lispy coating, and celebrity-roast caricatures of Nazis as "vaguely effeminate." JoJo Rabbit ends with a Live Laugh Love meme and two kids dancing like no one from the Gestapo is watching. The audiences who've embraced it should really be asking themselves why Waititi makes it so we have an even easier time identifying with a Nazi than JoJo has identifying with a Jew.

Some of the pieces I've read from people who didn't like the film REALLY didn't like it.

Yeah, between that and this Esquire article, it's kind of incredible how hard some people can miss the point.

bgbball31

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it for a second time tonight and had to consult the script for something to make sure...

Elsa never tells Jojo her name. Elsa mentions that she was friends with Inga, so it could be said that he knows her from then, but Jojo doesn't seem to recognize Elsa at that moment. He calls her Elsa later in the movie, so at some point off screen he learned it, but It just seems odd that that one line of dialogue isn't in there.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Watched it for a second time tonight and had to consult the script for something to make sure...

Elsa never tells Jojo her name. Elsa mentions that she was friends with Inga, so it could be said that he knows her from then, but Jojo doesn't seem to recognize Elsa at that moment. He calls her Elsa later in the movie, so at some point off screen he learned it, but It just seems odd that that one line of dialogue isn't in there.
I'd take that to show how close they had gotten together, that the boy who is supposed to hate them cares enough to learn her name.

I noticed it on second viewing as well, but it didn't bother me.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I found this a hard watch up to the end of the camp, the idolisation of the nazi's just feels gross. From there things start to happen to Jojo where the cracks in nazi society show themselves and it becomes tolerable to even becoming likeable. Some solid acting performance but overall this felt pretty clumsy, I just don't think it rode the line well at all.

The scene where Everybody's Gotta Live by Love playes hit me like a brick shithouse, moreso because of it's cover on Mac Miller's latest album though.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Captain K in the movie.

I didn't care much for him at the start but towards the end I started liking the actor

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched this last night, phenomenal movie.

Yeah, between that and this Esquire article, it's kind of incredible how hard some people can miss the point.

holy shit

"Normalizes " nazis?

the Nazis are presented as absolutely insanely far gone from the opening credits to the close.

I can't imagine how a writer and his editors could craft an article that fails to understand satire a child could grasp and then effectively lies to people who haven't seen it about the nature of the content.

even "fun" Hitler at the start is designed to make you super uncomfortable AND the movie does a better job explaining the banality of evil and the extreme danger rhetoric and media can put the publicity.

it's one of the most powerful and direct movies about the nature of the Trump, Erdogan, Orban et al presidencies and it's only becoming more accurate as it goes on.

that article is like some Armond White levels of disingenuous because I don't believe anyone could be that obtuse or dense in real life.

even if you don't like the movie you have to concede this article goes deliberately out of its way to miss the point. Normalization IS the point- the movie doesn't normalize Nazis- the movie slaps you across the face with how terrifying that normalization looks. It lets you view the horror of that aspect of the period safely from the other side of that glass.

VB32

Oct 27, 2017
About the Captain and the fact they try to humanize him...it's clear why it happened.

It's not hard to imagine a lot of Nazis just...running along with it out of fear. It's also hinted he's gay in multiple occasions. Also that he knew what his mom was up to. When those guys are searching for their house and the captain goes there...it's clear at the end he knew the kid's mom was already dead. He also knew the girl WASN'T his sister since he knew she didn't know her own supposed date of birth.

It was confirmed in the movie.
In the captain's last on-screen appearance, he and his friend have the pink triangle on their uniform. Nazis would give the triangles to identify gay men. They got caught and explains why he was undermining the Nazis as well.

Last edited:

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
In the captain's last on-screen appearance, he and his friend have the pink triangle on their uniform. Nazis would give the triangles to identify gay men. They got caught and explains why he was undermining the Nazis as well.
Oh shit, too subtle. Do you know if it was there on the sketch of it he showed Jojo as well?