• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
Most people in my social circle are somehow on AH's side. They haven't watched the trial and got their opinion by reading online articles and newspapers. I don't even have the energy to argue with them.

That must be frustrating... most of my friends/family are keeping up with the trial and are on Depp's side (a few of them even started otherwise).

It'll be even more frustrating if the verdict doesn't come in favor of Johnny, then the voices on Amber Heard's side will only be amplified in their ignorance.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
VjnKPhX.png

JD has supporters from everywhere
This trial is really something else

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
I think this is very sober tweet thread made by the #MeToo official Twitter account:

Whatever happens with this trial, claiming that this is "the end of #MeToo" is bullshit. I think the circus surrounding 'TeamDepp' and 'TeamHeard' is bullshit, and the replies to that thread I think reinforce that. What this thread doesn't do is take either Depp's or Heard's side on this, and that's an wise stance to have at this point, what the #MeToo movement represents is way bigger than this case, and people trying to co-opt narratives around this, either at the NY Times or alt right assholes are both wrong in my opinion. I still maintain that one of the most interesting think pieces surrounding this case came from The New Republic weeks ago, regardless how some might disagree:

newrepublic.com

Stop Trying to Extract Larger Lessons From the Amber Heard–Johnny Depp Trial

The celebrity pair’s sad and sordid relationship isn’t a unified field theorem that explains contemporary politics.

And I say this as someone that after following this trial closely for six weeks, I am convinced that Depp was the victim of domestic abuse by Heard, regardless if the jury rule on his favor or not. Trying to make this the end all be all against the awakening that the #MeToo represented is a wrong take, and I see this case as a new wrinkle on that. I doubt that ten years ago someone like Depp could even understand himself as someone that could possibly be victim of domestic abuse, and yet here we are.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's up to us to prove that #MeToo is an inclusive new reality -- it's core is and should be gender-neutral, especially as notions about gender have evolved to allow a spectrum of identities that are not going to fit neatly into just "female." Welcoming abused men to tell their stories and an opportunity to heal is only going to generate more and more support for liberal and progressive movements in my opinion.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
MeToo shouldnt end at all it should however be more welcoming to male victims moving forward. It sounds very much like they are not happy with Heard at all which is good to see.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
MeToo shouldn't end.

But the concept of believing anyone uncritically and shaming the idea of male victims should absolutely end.

The most horrifying thing to come out of this trial for me, by far, is this heinous idea that men can't be the victims of DV at the hands of women because of patriarchy. THIS is a misuse of the movement, imo.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
MeToo shouldn't end.

But the concept of believing anyone uncritically and shaming the idea of male victims should absolutely end.

The most horrifying thing to come out of this trial for me, by far, is this heinous idea that men can't be the victims of DV at the hands of women because of patriarchy. THIS is a misuse of the movement, imo.
Definitely agree. I think it's very interesting how they worded that tweet thread, how impartial it is. They aren't taking sides here, and that's good. I see that tweet thread as an admission of that yes, men can be victims of DV too. What they don't say here is almost more interesting than what they do say there.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely agree. I think it's very interesting how they worded that tweet thread, how impartial it is. They aren't taking sides here, and that's good. I see that tweet thread as an admission of that yes, men can be victims of DV too. What they don't say here is almost more interesting than what they do say there.
I mean Depp hasnt cooped MeToo in this trial only Heard has...

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
I mean Depp hasnt cooped MeToo in this trial only Heard has...
I don't think that neither Depp or anyone close to his circle did that. But we would be naive to disagree that there is a narrative war going on social media about this, one that alt right nutjobs will happily signal boost and try to use to their own ends.

Oct 25, 2017
As we know, the courts and the court of public opinion are not the same. One is procedural, and heavily constrained through very narrow and complex rule sets formulated on the rule of law of a country. The other is why MeToo exists -- it was at once invoked precisely because the law could not help, and to tell stories without being constrained by the narrow rulesets of law. To invoke the latter in the former, in my opinion, is a misuse of the purpose and spirit of the thing.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
So I've watched a ton of this trial but not everything. Are Amber and her sister the only 2 that claimed to have seen Depp be violent?

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
As we know, the courts and the court of public opinion are not the same. One is procedural, and heavily constrained through very narrow and complex rule sets formulated on the rule of law of a country. The other is why MeToo exists -- it was at once invoked precisely because the law could not help, and to tell stories without being constrained by the narrow rulesets of law. To invoke the latter in the former, in my opinion, is a misuse of the purpose and spirit of the thing.
I don't see that tweet thread as an endorsement to Heard's camp. That is they saying that the #MeToo movement is bigger than this trial, and I think it's very interesting and telling how they particularly call out claims that say that this represents the end of #MeToo, and that's what that the NY Times op-ed claimed weeks ago. I think they are right, #MeToo represents something bigger and more important than that. It's a very sober statement, I think.

I do think that #MeToo, regardless the personal tragedy that Depp endured, it's a big catalyst to bring up to light discussions that include very much victims like him. And that's a good thing, that in 2022 we can discuss that.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think part of the stunning opinion divide, especially on the left, is attributed to the fact that we, and mainly the left, have a tendency to over simplify political opinions in clear black and white scenarios and translate that into faulty catchy slogans.

'Believe Women' was born out of the MeToo movement. Something that wasn't created out of ill will, but in hindsight incredibly over simplistic. But it has been repeated over and over again. Probably to the point where, for some, it might be blasphemous to consider to not believe a woman for once. Especially because it became such an integral part of the 'left identity' if I can simplify it.

Edit: Extremely tired as I write this, so I hope I made my point clear enough.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see that tweet thread as an endorsement to Heard's camp. That is they saying that the #MeToo movement is bigger than this trial, and I think it's very interesting and telling how they particularly call out claims that say that this represents the end of #MeToo, and that's what that the NY Times op-ed claimed weeks ago. I think they are right, #MeToo represents something bigger and more important than that. It's a very sober statement, I think.

I agree. This is more a general statement about people who believe that a particular outcome of the trial necessarily means an outcome for MeToo. I don't believe that is true, but it will be true if we all turn it into a self-fulfilling prophecy. In other words, to people who say this trial is a referendum on MeToo, I say, nuh uh: it's an affirmation of it, people just don't know it yet.

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
I think part of the stunning opinion divide, especially on the left, is attributed to the fact that we, and mainly the left, have a tendency to over simplify political opinions in clear black and white scenarios and translate that into faulty catchy slogans.

'Believe Women' was born out of the MeToo movement. Something that wasn't created out of ill will, but in hindsight incredibly over simplistic. But it has been repeated over and over again. Probably to the point where, for some, it might be blasphemous to consider to not believe a woman for once. Especially because it became such an integral part of the 'left identity' if I can simplify it.

I agree 100%, and I think that's partly why I'm always alienated by slogans and never adopt a "movement" as my own... I may agree with a movement's stance on certain issues but never as a whole.

And on that note, I think the proper interpretation of said slogan should be "Believe all victims, in so far as it's a motive to properly investigate any allegations and verify them without ostracizing the accused until they're proven guilty".

Prax

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair-ish, it's probably because the Right does this and are so effective at it, so the left thinks it needs to be just as tunnel-visioned and scummy.

Which is too bad because this throw intersectionality right out the window.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
I agree. This is more a general statement about people who believe that a particular outcome of the trial necessarily means an outcome for MeToo. I don't believe that is true, but it will be true if we all turn it into a self-fulfilling prophecy. In other words, to people who say this trial is a referendum on MeToo, I say, nuh uh: it's an affirmation of it, people just don't know it yet.
Yes. Without #MeToo, I'm not even sure that someone like Depp could finally come out as a victim of DV and be believed. He stated to Amber that he was a victim of domestic abuse six years ago, but it takes a lot of courage to not just open yourself to admit that, let alone to tell the world. It wasn't #MeToo that ruined Depp's life, it wasn't #MeToo that abused him. It was Amber, she isn't the poster child of the movement, regardless how much she wants to.

Tamahagene

Banned
May 4, 2022
To be fair-ish, it's probably because the Right does this and are so effective at it, so the left thinks it needs to be just as tunnel-visioned and scummy.

Which is too bad because this throw intersectionality right out the window.
Nah.
The left is still incredibly finicky about divisions, this is and ideological/reasoning issue, not one of circling the wagons just for protections/furthering a causes sake.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Nah.
The left is still incredibly finicky about divisions, this is and ideological/reasoning issue, not one of circling the wagons just for protections/furthering a causes sake.
Well, the left isn't a monolith and I think there are a few different types that would side with Heard despite all the evidence. One being more academic in justification of their ideological brain fog, and one being dumb as rocks but "picked a side" and are sticking to it with utter righteousness (often uncritical followers of the former).

Oct 27, 2017
I think with this trial, the two loudest "sides" are:
  • Men who want to point out that women can be an abuser and therefore they cannot be a victim (MRA types).
  • Women who don't want to admit that men can be victims and therefore need support from a movement such as #MeToo.
They probably don't make up anywhere near the majority, but they're the loudest sides you hear.

Eventually, I think people who are normal, well-adjusted, and who align with supporting DV victims will cast aside AH and recognize that JD was the primary victim, even if he wasn't a perfect victim which basically no one is. At least it brings awareness to how it's normal for abusers (regardless of their gender) to use gaslighting and threats to ruin their victims and what it actually looks like.

Think about it, even years after the whole Cosby stuff came out, people still had no idea what gaslighting/threatening actually looks like or how powerful it was in keeping guys like Cosby or Weinstein in power for so long.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I mean, the whole thing from the AH supporters around me (as I said, most of my friends/acquaintances) can basically be boiled down to "there's evidence of abuse from JD to AH and the Depp stans are ignoring it because of their parasocial relationship with Depp", "Depp stans are toxic misogynists who sling rape threats to AH" and "everybody who's hating on AH is knowingly or unknowingly following the alt-right script for character assassination and their goal is to weaken feminism". Everything I've read and heard could fall into one of those camps.

Hell, there's even a tweet I saw like a week ago that basically said my first point verbatim, it was something like "yes, there's some evidence that points AH hit JD but there's plenty more evidence Depp was abusive to her, including screencaps from a conversation that show him as completely jealous that she was going to be in a movie with some male co-stars, and they have admitted the screenshots are REAL"

so yeah, that's why I said earlier it feels like I'm being gaslit - there's always some evidence that points towards JD supposed abuse but apparently that didn't happen in the trial? That or "you see, Depp and his laywers were smirking when AH told the court about the rape threats, they're awful monsters". It feels like I'm some goddamn parallel reality 24/7.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I think this is very sober tweet thread made by the #MeToo official Twitter account:

Whatever happens with this trial, claiming that this is "the end of #MeToo" is bullshit. I think the circus surrounding 'TeamDepp' and 'TeamHeard' is bullshit, and the replies to that thread I think reinforce that. What this thread doesn't do is take either Depp's or Heard's side on this, and that's an wise stance to have at this point, what the #MeToo movement represents is way bigger than this case, and people trying to co-opt narratives around this, either at the NY Times or alt right assholes are both wrong in my opinion. I still maintain that one of the most interesting think pieces surrounding this case came from The New Republic weeks ago, regardless how some might disagree:

newrepublic.com

The celebrity pair’s sad and sordid relationship isn’t a unified field theorem that explains contemporary politics.

And I say this as someone that after following this trial closely for six weeks, I am convinced that Depp was the victim of domestic abuse by Heard, regardless if the jury rule on his favor or not. Trying to make this the end all be all against the awakening that the #MeToo represented is a wrong take, and I see this case as a new wrinkle on that. I doubt that ten years ago someone like Depp could even understand himself as someone that could possibly be victim of domestic abuse, and yet here we are.

A turning point, for me, would be if they unequivocally supported Johnny in this. He has proven his case, whether he wins this or not.

No sane person (yes, I'll go that far), would support Heard after watching this trial.

Lied about tipping off TMZ... Lied about who was the jealous one... Lied about never hitting him... Submitted several photos, some duplicates with different dates and stories behind them, all of them doctored in some way... Witness after witness after witness saying she was the abuser, the jealous one and not the other way around. Several audio tapes that corroborate Johnny's story... And. She. Kept. LYING!!

There's evidence that wasn't allowed in court where she admits (!!) to have injured him...!

He's a victim. She's an abuser. An abuser that never lets up and that, to this day, abuses him by accusing him of horrific things - things she often/mostly did herself.

People supporting her aren't sane.

Tamahagene

Banned
May 4, 2022
A turning point, for me, would be if they unequivocally supported Johnny in this. He has proven his case, whether he wins this or not.

No sane person (yes, I'll go that far), would support Heard after watching this trial.

Lied about tipping off TMZ... Lied about who was the jealous one... Lied about never hitting him... Submitted several photos, some duplicates with different dates and stories behind them, all of them doctored in some way... Witness after witness after witness saying she was the abuser, the jealous one and not the other way around. Several audio tapes that corroborate Johnny's story... And. She. Kept. LYING!!

Evidence that wasn't allowed in court where she admits (!!) to have injured him...!

He's a victim. She's an abuser. An abuser that never lets up and that, to this day, abuses him by accusing him of horrific things - things she often/mostly did herself.
The problem is a lot of "sane" people are saying otherwise so you have to wonder why/how we're at that point.

Edit: Saying otherwise or simply dismissing this as something we should care about or is worth anything/complaining about the coverage, hypocritical people who signal boosted other celebrity issues/campaigns as related to issues they care about.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
The problem is a lot of "sane" people are saying otherwise so you have to wonder why/how we're at that point.
Then they aren't sane. It's as simple as that.

Not until they acknowledge Depp as the victim in all of this. I renounce my support for anyone that's on Heard's side.

We aren't playing into the right-wings playbook - They are!

By simply not acknowledging Depp as the victim he clearly fucking is, they're losing all credibility and turning so many goddamn people to the right.

They are literally doing this to themselves whilst writing crap like 'I just don't understand the hatred for Heard and the support for Johnny... Misogynistic pigs!'

It's such a cop-out! Just... Say... You...Were... WRONG!

They've cornered themselves, because it's hard to admit you've been supporting an abuser. It's hard to admit you've been complicit in ruining an innocent person's life.

But the first step is to own up to that mistake, apologize to the real victim, and simply forget about Amber. Never talk about her again. She's done.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017

Edit: Saying otherwise or simply dismissing this as something we should care about or is worth anything/complaining about the coverage, hypocritical people who signal boosted other celebrity issues/campaigns as related to issues they care about.

It is not a mystery, a woman can not be an abuser full stop in these people's minds

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil

newrepublic.com

I was looking at their posts, and most of the content has received very little support, the number of likes and retweets is very low, and they keep up a continuous work to help the victims. They are very active, not only on Twitter but organizing events and bringing people together to have debates.

sanctuary.metoomvmt.org

Homepage - Me Too Movement

Your healing journey continues here… Survivor’s Sanctuary Welcome to Survivor’s Sanctuary. This self guided healing platform was created to aid survivors in their healing journeys. You are invited to explore … Homepage Read More »

Now I understand the tweet. Where were those people who are worried about the end of metoo due to the trial when the movement was doing its job?
When was the last time an influencer or journalist interviewed members of the organization? From the tweet it is clear that there is no sincere interest.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021

There's evidence that wasn't allowed in court where she admits (!!) to have injured him...!

I'd cautious against broad statements of calling people crazy for believing Heard, and I say this as someone that doesn't like to talk about their own personal experiences with abuse and that came to believe Depp is a survivor of domestic abuse during this trial. I understand how cathartic it can be for men that are abuse survivors to watch this whole thing to unfold, but trying to remember to not take it so personally it's good not just for our own mental health, but particularly for Johnny Depp as a survivor of domestic abuse himself.

Anger towards what we see as an injustice is very much a completely understandable reaction, but it's important to not turn this into an "us vs. them" between people that believe in Johnny Depp or Amber Heard. I think it's interesting how the #MeToo tweets pissed off both camps, both #JusticeForJohnnyDepp and #JusticeForAmberHeard camps. And one thing that I thought it was interesting is that this was the first time that Amber Heard was even mentioned by the official #MeToo organization account, like this Amber Heard supporter doesn't seem too happy with:

Depp told the world what happened to him. Not through a social media post, a publication interview, a book or a film. He told his story of how he was abused during the course of this trial and he had the receipts to back him up that he was indeed a victim of domestic abuse, after six years being ostracized and accused of being an abuser. It's a lot to take in, and I don't think it would ever come to this if Heard didn't put this whole thing in motion to begin with, Depp doesn't strike me as someone that would open himself up like this if he wasn't forced to.

Regardless of the outcome of the trial, Depp already won. Now it's up to people not turn a positive outcome of this trial, meaning people listening to what happened to him and understanding that he is a survivor of domestic abuse, into a bad thing. I think that steering away of this whole "online war" is a good thing and I hope that Depp gets his life back not by destroying Heard's life, but by being vindicated for speaking up for his truth. It's incredibly important that this isn't weaponized against victims, and I think organizations like the #MeToo are more important than ever today with how dystopian things have been getting. I think that their sober statement they have posted today is fair with all victims of domestic violence, and taking sides - even if it was Depp's, which I agree is the primary DV survivor of their relationship - wouldn't be wise, neither them doing differently than what they did today, which is to see the bigger picture.

I was looking at their posts, and most of the content has received very little support, the number of likes and retweets is very low, and they keep up a continuous work to help the victims. They are very active, not only on Twitter but organizing events and bringing people together to have debates.

sanctuary.metoomvmt.org

Your healing journey continues here… Survivor’s Sanctuary Welcome to Survivor’s Sanctuary. This self guided healing platform was created to aid survivors in their healing journeys. You are invited to explore … Homepage Read More »

Now I understand the tweet. Where were those people who are worried about the end of metoo due to the trial when the movement was doing its job?
When was the last time an influencer or journalist interviewed members of the organization? From the tweet it is clear that there is no sincere interest.

Like I've said above, they pissed off both Heard's and Depp's stans, and it's a statement I really think it's them seeing the big picture. They seem to do real good work on the ground with DV survivors, and them coming forward with a statement like the one they did today might be unpopular, but made me respect them even more.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
so how does this work? are the jurors literally in the jury room still discussing things? do they work 9am-6pm , go to bed and then reconvene each day at the court until they are unanimous?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
so do they literally sit in a hotel room with no internet, tv etc? just read a book I guess?

No they are not sequestered. They deliberate in the jury chambers during normal hours each weekday, still instructed to avoid media and trial discussion outside of the court. The judge told them they can stay late into the evening if they like, but they won't get served dinner. So basically expect them to go home at a usual time and return each morning.

They return on Tuesday due to the holiday. I expect it may take a few days next week to reach a decision across all forms. Even if they are all pro-Depp, there are finer details on each charge to consider and I can see a lot of arguments on them, given they must be unanimous answers.

Expect longer if there is stubbornness for Heard among any of them.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Well, the left isn't a monolith and I think there are a few different types that would side with Heard despite all the evidence. One being more academic in justification of their ideological brain fog, and one being dumb as rocks but "picked a side" and are sticking to it with utter righteousness (often uncritical followers of the former).
yeah this is basically what I'm seeing on twitter

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
What's upsetting is that this is pretty much what Dr Hughes said. Trying to imply women can't be a threat to men, as if a bottle is somehow less dangerous because it was thrown by a woman.

Yeah it's incredibly stupid because it implies that men should use their physical advantages to tank whatever abuse is thrown their way, or worse, subdue their abuser through intimidation or physical force.

That's not how this should work. I don't want to hurt anyone. I know how much damage I can inflict if I physically retaliate. My only option is to run away. Depp tried to escape and was punished for doing so.

I'm so tired of seeing this bullshit repeated by people like Grubb and those who claim to be our allies. Grow up and look past your fucking egos.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
A significant portion of the media (and population) will hate Depp for years for (what they see as) him undermining the narrative they've been working so hard to push for so long. To a large degree, the "facts" of the case ("facts" defined here as the evidence that was presented in court) are irrelevant.

Human nature can be very, very, very stubborn.

It's such a cop-out! Just... Say... You...Were... WRONG!
Ha ha, if people could do that, quite a lot of our social tension would evaporate instantly.

The constant doubling down on ideological issues is one of the most toxic, and exhausting, aspects of life in the social media age.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Isn't part of the divide among progressives due to 2 different interpretations of the #believewomen concept?

I.e, to me (and many more) #belivewomen is about the case where a woman says "I have been abused" (or raped or something else horrible) before any sort of investigation has been done, or concrete proof or corroborating witnesses exists - but you start by believing her and you go from there. You DO the research, you try to find proof, you listen to anyone that comes forward as corroborating witness. You DONT dismiss her just because the allegded abuser says "nope, and she has no proof".

The other interpretation seems to be "always, almost unconditionally, believe what the woman says". I.e even after reseach has been done, witnesses have come forward, proof has been found - all pointing to the woman in this case being wrong - you STILL believe the woman because #believewomen.

I think the latter group has just grossly misunderstood the concept, and their application of it is not only clearly immoral, it is also long term counter productive to its own goals.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017

If roles were reversed and it was a woman bringing the evidence Depp has brought forward, there would be no two siding, no double standing, no doubt in labelling Heard as an abuser.

This is a weak answer from MeToo and I feel like the movement deserves better. Everyone can make a mistake, but it's how you account for it, how you make amends that makes a difference. So far, the vast majority of progressive personalities/outlets have been disappointing. Especially after being able to follow the trial and checking the evidences that lead clearly (there is no doubt) to the conclusion that Heard was abusive in that relationship, that Depp would de-escalate and that she used MeToo for her own gains.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I'd cautious against broad statements of calling people crazy for believing Heard, and I say this as someone that doesn't like to talk about their own personal experiences with abuse and that came to believe Depp is a survivor of domestic abuse during this trial. I understand how cathartic it can be for men that are abuse survivors to watch this whole thing to unfold, but trying to remember to not take it so personally it's good not just for our own mental health, but particularly for Johnny Depp as a survivor of domestic abuse himself.

Anger towards what we see as an injustice is very much a completely understandable reaction, but it's important to not turn this into an "us vs. them" between people that believe in Johnny Depp or Amber Heard. I think it's interesting how the #MeToo tweets pissed off both camps, both #JusticeForJohnnyDepp and #JusticeForAmberHeard camps. And one thing that I thought it was interesting is that this was the first time that Amber Heard was even mentioned by the official #MeToo organization account, like this Amber Heard supporter doesn't seem too happy with:

Depp told the world what happened to him. Not through a social media post, a publication interview, a book or a film. He told his story of how he was abused during the course of this trial and he had the receipts to back him up that he was indeed a victim of domestic abuse, after six years being ostracized and accused of being an abuser. It's a lot to take in, and I don't think it would ever come to this if Heard didn't put this whole thing in motion to begin with, Depp doesn't strike me as someone that would open himself up like this if he wasn't forced to.

Regardless of the outcome of the trial, Depp already won. Now it's up to people not turn a positive outcome of this trial, meaning people listening to what happened to him and understanding that he is a survivor of domestic abuse, into a bad thing. I think that steering away of this whole "online war" is a good thing and I hope that Depp gets his life back not by destroying Heard's life, but by being vindicated for speaking up for his truth. It's incredibly important that this isn't weaponized against victims, and I think organizations like the #MeToo are more important than ever today with how dystopian things have been getting. I think that their sober statement they have posted today is fair with all victims of domestic violence, and taking sides - even if it was Depp's, which I agree is the primary DV survivor of their relationship - wouldn't be wise, neither them doing differently than what they did today, which is to see the bigger picture.

Like I've said above, they pissed off both Heard's and Depp's stans, and it's a statement I really think it's them seeing the big picture. They seem to do real good work on the ground with DV survivors, and them coming forward with a statement like the one they did today might be unpopular, but made me respect them even more.

I was never on a team though... I initially believed her, because there were more reasons to believe her initially than not to. The TMZ video, her 'bruises' etc.

I'm angry because she not only abused the crap out of the man (with her sister literally fearing for his life) but she also decided that shit wasn't enough. She wanted to ruin her victim even more!

She's a vindictive, lying, manipulative monster.

And anyone that supports her, again, after watching the trial is not someone I'll ever want to support. I don't care that the right is in the right for once, they won't ever sway me. But they f*cking are swaying people and that's troublsesome.

I admitted I was wrong. I not only believed her, I listened. Evidence and proof of abuse can't be ignored though, that'd be an insane thing to do and I'll repeat it again, because it's the truth -

People supporting her after following the trial aren't sane and I will never in my life side with those people.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The other interpretation seems to be "always, almost unconditionally, believe what the woman says". I.e even after reseach has been done, witnesses have come forward, proof has been found - all pointing to the woman in this case being wrong - you STILL believe the woman because #believewomen.

I think the latter group has just grossly misunderstood the concept, and their application of it is not only clearly immoral, it is also long term counter productive to its own goals.
That's one of the issues of modern politics imo. People are very willing to engage in politics on surface level, but refuse to apply any critical thinking. They see a side they like to belong to and make that part of their identity. Because these people are lazy and have no desire to think for themselves they gravitate to bitesized ideas and over simplified slogans. And when those initial ideas are challenged, or are placed in a more nuanced situation, they can't get passed this idea they've repeated over and over again like it's gospel because, again, they don't apply any critical thinking.

It's extremely frustrating because these people are supposed to be part of your """"team"""", yet they don't understand the "rules of the game" and don't care. And at that point they might as well not even be on your team because they aren't pulling their weight in the slightest.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

sanctuary.metoomvmt.org

Not meaning to say anything against the people behind that account as they appear to be doing wonderful work, but I didn't even know it existed until just now. It might be "official" as an org, but that doesn't mean people who don't know it or even ignore it don't contribute to the movement.

The movement is bigger than an official body, anyway.

Saying that, it is a shame their specific work gets so little traction.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ok despite all the gloom I'm losing it at this tweet of Amber fake writing.

I'm sorry but this shit is just dumb. It's quite obvious that the camera is just not able to render any minute details at that distance at that resolution. Do people also think that all the other stacks of papers on the table are empty as well?

It's one of the things I absolutely despise about this trial is that people are misinterpreting everything and are running with it. We all remember the supposed photo-op moment, or Amber supposedly quoting a movie. So much misinformation that is being spread by people that just have no clue and people just eat it up.

Most of this is pointed towards Amber so hypocritically enough I'm not that bothered by it. But imagine it was the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.