• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
And here is why this thing is so frustrating:

Rottenborn's cross examination wasn't even good to begin with. What was 'good' for Heard's team is that they got under Depp's skin so he either truly doesn't remember sending those texts - which would be somewhat acceptable - or he is lying. What makes it look that he is lying is that he not just doesn't remember, but implied that one it could be faked or that someone else send that message from his phone. Which it was a dumb mistake to have less than two days of the jury deliberating.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a link/clip up yet for the testimony of the officer regarding AH's domestic violence against her ex? I was behind on the Live feed catching up on the digital forensic expert's testimony and right after he left the stand the Live feed ended for me, I tried scrolling back/forward but doesn't seem to be there (NBC feed).

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017

Rottenborn's cross examination wasn't even good to begin with. What was 'good' for Heard's team is that they got under Depp's skin so he either truly doesn't remember sending those texts - which would be somewhat acceptable - or he is lying. What makes it look that he is lying is that he not just doesn't remember, but implied that one it could be faked or that someone else send that message from his phone. Which it was a dumb mistake to have less than two days of the jury deliberating.

Yeah, he could have just said that he didn't remember sending them (because they are five year old texts at this point) but conceded that he probably did send them. Claiming it was someone else just made him look a little desperate.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020

Yeah, he could have just said that he didn't remember sending them (because they are five year old texts at this point) but conceded that he probably did send them. Claiming it was someone else just made him look a little desperate.
My only concern about this now after the Incoming thing has been brought up, is that if he really didn't send them then his reaction in court would be completely reasonable. If somehow both legal teams really did fuck up to that extent then he gave a pretty legitimate answer.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
He got really rattled by the insinuation that he was talking about a woman named Molly and since he couldn't recall any woman named Molly he came to the conclusion that the text was fake.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
These were submitted by Depp's team tho since they submitted his phone. Why would they submit someone else's phone with these vile messages? It looks identical to the image that says outgoing. Too bad that the participants are so heavily redacted for some reason.

I don't understand why it being someone else's phone with his sent messages on it is more logical than them missing the "incoming" when confronted with vile messages. It could be the case, absolutely. I'm just not seeing how it's so much more logical that it's suddenly someone else's phone and that them not being his is some kind of "conspiracy theory".

Oct 25, 2017
My only concern about this now after the Incoming thing has been brought up, is that if he really didn't send them then his reaction in court would be completely reasonable. If somehow both legal teams really did fuck up to that extent then he gave a pretty legitimate answer.

Ask yourself what is more likely: that every legal team here messed up, and that JD messed up in identifying it as a text sent from his phone (but not by him), OR that the text was retrieved from someone else's phone?

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
We'll probably never know. For now, I'd give the lawyers the benefit of the doubt - they know what they're doing.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Second point that I'm remembering that I think it was damning: I'm pretty sure he talked about the phone that was at the bar area when was asked by Rottenborn previous cross examination. He also talked about the phone during the UK trial. This is the phone that Heard claims he destroyed and the reason he lost the tip of his finger. This time, he forgot. He should be more sharp and focused today, and for one reason or another, he just wasn't.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
AH lawyers say the messages came from JD's phone that he submitted as evidence so if they were incoming messages then they couldn't be sent by him right?

Also wasn't Stephen his assistant? There is 26 hours between when the message was sent and read. You would be a pretty rubbish assistant to not check a message from your boss for 26 hours.

Oct 25, 2017
JD was absolutely not prepared to be on the stand today. I think most people can see that, and it hurts him, but I do think that when it comes time for the jury to pour over evidence and establish the facts I don't think the thing that everyone is pointing to will be anywhere near the top of the list. Also, recall we still have 6 hours for his team, so it's likely if there are sharp thorns poking out on the testimony that they will try to deal with that.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
And here is the thing, this wasn't brought up by Depp's legal team, and I think it's too much of a stretch to think they just miss it. One reasonable explanation is that this came from Deuters phone, not Depp's, and Depp's legal team didn't fight over who sent this because they know that. Otherwise I'm not even sure why such text would be there, or why Depp's team wouldn't notice something like that. It's not like they didn't object and had a redirect after this.

I just rewatched it, so Rottenborn clarifies to JD that 'him' has always referred to JD throughout the entire case (which is where 'owner' is stated), and further on clarifies he produced this evidence pointing out the reference number (i think) on the bottom right, starting with DEPP, to which JD agrees.

So incoming makes no sense.

Other thoughts, this wasn't already in evidence before the cross but presumably JD lawyers had seen them and asked JD about them? Isn't that what they do when building the case, go through the evidence with their client? Why hadn't JD seen these before?

But as others have stated, might as well just trust the lawyers.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
In that transcript, who's the label "(owner)" referring to? That would help determining what "outgoing" actually means.

Edit: beaten

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Remember that weird quote AH team were trying to get JD to remember him saying. Well it's from an interview, 27 years ago!!!

Johnny Depp Zone Interview Archive

Your description goes here

In the Mark Hotel incident, Depp deconstructed the furniture in his room at a cost of more than $9,000 and several hours in jail. "I thought it was funny—I have to go to jail for assaulting a picture frame or a lamp! The rags said, 'Well, he was drunk and he was having a huge fight with his girlfriend.' Complete bullshit! But, you know, let's say the guy over here in the bar, he's having a hard day, man, and eventually—one more stubbing of the toe—the guy's gotta hit something. So you punch a wall or do this and that. Fuck it, I'm normal and I want to be normal. But somehow I'm not allowed to be. Why can't I be human? I have a lot of love inside me and a lot of anger inside as well. If I love somebody, then I'm gonna love 'em. If I'm angry and I've got to lash out or hit somebody, I'm going to do it and I don't care what the repercussions are. Anger doesn't pay rent, it's gotta go. It's gotta be evicted."

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I reckon AH's team should feel good about how today progressed.

There hasn't been a sustained streak of slam dunk or standout moments from JD's side, which is basically what was required for this case to succeed.

Hopefully when this is over, these two permanently go their separate ways and put an end to this prolonged "fight". I want JD back in blockbuster roles, lol

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Timestamped:

9vtJ9sy.png

The other possibility is that owner doesn't mean that it was Depp's device.

I think where this really tripped Depp up is it was his text is that it was presented to Depp after being asked if he had said before that women's bodies belong to him and shown as an example of him talking about a sexual conquest, but Depp couldn't recall any woman named Molly. Considering molly is slang for a drug Depp is known to take it's likely he was talking about that.

Thanks! So, if the phone number that is being redacted out (sloppy that this is being done as we can see it) is Depp's phone number, that means he's the owner, and incoming does indeed mean he did not send it.

I see three 'him's' though in the document, but is there only Depp and Deuters as participants in the conversation?

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I reckon AH's team should feel good about how today progressed.

There hasn't been a sustained streak of slam dunk or standout moments from JD's side, which is basically what was required for this case to succeed.

Hopefully when this is over, these two permanently go their separate ways and put an end to this prolonged "fight". I want JD back in blockbuster roles, lol
What...? Did you even watch today's trial? JUST today's trial is enough, actually.

They got the TMZ guy to indirectly say that Amber sent them the video and told them about the divorce and where to take pictures of her "bruised" up face... He said she was literally posing!

That shows intent to do harm! That's actual malice. And she lied about it!

And all of her evidence is shit. Not a single picture submitted into evidence seems to be legit i.e. from her actual phone. That side-by-side is also damning to her. She's lied so f*cking much, my head spins just from thinking about... She's adopted the Trumpian style of lying:

Bombard with lies, so that hopefully no one will be able to keep track or at best, will seem like outlandish victim blaiming.

Oh, and they got the cop that arrested her in 2009 to testify to what she witnessed... Amber tried to gaslight her too.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Ask yourself what is more likely: that every legal team here messed up, and that JD messed up in identifying it as a text sent from his phone (but not by him), OR that the text was retrieved from someone else's phone?
I'm not coming down on either side of this at the moment because we clearly don't have the full story. Just that IF that was actually an incoming message then his response makes complete sense. For all we know both sides were in panic mode, between Heard's team being in a rush because of time limits, and Depp being a nightmare during the cross. Mistakes can be made.

I'm just looking between the three separate instances in today's evidence that show texts, and the outgoing ones from earlier also list the "owner" as "Him" which Rottenborn says has been Depp in every instance of the case. We don't know what "Owner" means, but a reasonable guess would be the owner of the phone. That combined with Depp's confusion is enough to make me at least want an answer from one of the legal teams explaining that it was either Deuter's phone, or that "Incoming" and "Received" don't mean the obvious things.

Van_Charlie

Aug 31, 2021
Jhonny has admitted to vile texts, so my main theory is that he is talking about MDMA, not real women.

But some should investigate these texts if what I'm seeing is true.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks! So, if the phone number that is being redacted out (sloppy that this is being done as we can see it) is Depp's phone number, that means he's the owner, and incoming does indeed mean he did not send it.

I see three 'him's' though in the document, but is there only Depp and Deuters as participants in the conversation?
Is it possible that the 3 him's are other iDevices that would have received the messages? So possibly he sent it on an iPad or something but they pulled it from his phone which is why it was incoming? That would be the only way I can see how JD would have sent it.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Is it possible that the 3 him's are other iDevices that would have received the messages? So possibly he sent it on an iPad or something but they pulled it from his phone which is why it was incoming? That would be the only way I can see how JD would have sent it.
I don't have an iPhone, does it show as incoming if it comes from your own account? I know Facebook messenger would say "Sent" no matter what device you're logging in from.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand the additional device or attendant in these messages. It is possible that the software used to extract the messages injects itself as a participant, and the terms incoming and outgoing are relative to that individual, who knows. I certainly don't, but I find it a major stretch that everyone's lawyers just messed this whole thing up, including JD.

1) He doesn't remember sending the messages. Totally believable; he was probably on drugs talking about drugs
2) He suggested malice -- I think this is wrong and unlikely. I don't think someone else wrote it.
3) It's literally far from the worst message he has sent (and admitted to sending, which to me reaffirms point #1)
4) It will not have any major outcome on the defamation on outcome, but that is just a guess.
5) It is not the biggest bombshell of the day: that is Heard all-but-confirmed to have been leaking to TMZ

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
What...? Did you even watch today's trial? JUST today's trial is enough, actually.

They got the TMZ guy to indirectly say that Amber sent them the video and told them about the divorce and where to take pictures of her "bruised" up face... He said she was literally posing!

That shows intent to do harm! That's actual malice. And she lied about it!

And all of her evidence is shit. Not a single picture submitted into evidence seems to be legit i.e. from her actual phone. That side-by-side is also damning to her. She's lied so f*cking much, my head spins just from thinking about... She's adopted the Trumpian style of lying:

Bombard with lies, so that hopefully no one will be able to keep track or at best, will seem like outlandish victim blaiming.

Oh, and they got the cop that arrested her in 2009 to testify to what she witnessed... Amber tried to gaslight her too.
I reckon it would have landed much harder if the TMZ bloke directly stated that the photos were doctored.

With that said, the jury likely more than enough ammo to come down hard on AH, but the fact that it depends on unanimous consensus makes it that much harder for JD to come out on top here.

EDIT: welp, nvm, got two witnesses mixed up.

Last edited:

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I'm not coming down on either side of this at the moment because we clearly don't have the full story. Just that IF that was actually an incoming message then his response makes complete sense. For all we know both sides were in panic mode, between Heard's team being in a rush because of time limits, and Depp being a nightmare during the cross. Mistakes can be made.

I'm just looking between the three separate instances in today's evidence that show texts, and the outgoing ones from earlier also list the "owner" as "Him" which Rottenborn says has been Depp in every instance of the case. We don't know what "Owner" means, but a reasonable guess would be the owner of the phone. That combined with Depp's confusion is enough to make me at least want an answer from one of the legal teams explaining that it was either Deuter's phone, or that "Incoming" and "Received" don't mean the obvious things.
Yeah, same for me. Tried to go back to see Rottenborn's explanation for the redacted stuff and I can't really make sense of it. Here is the timestamp for that part, when they admit this to evidence and try to sort out the source and whatnot with Depp.

This only makes sense if it's Deuters' phone, which has not been stated. And why would Deuters' name not be on top like Depp's is on the first image in that case?
The non-redacted phone numbers also makes this look off. Or am I just more biased than I think I am?

Pic stolen from Twitter:

unknown.png

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else planning on keeping watching live trials after this when it's possible? The whole process is just fascinating.
I think I've come full circle because when I was a kid (like 8 years old) everyday I watched a show that was purely fake trials but it was all presented as real, and it all took place in the courtroom, and I did think it was all real. I was fascinated by it even though that's a weird thing to watch as a kid between episodes of Dragon Ball and Power Rangers.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I reckon it would have landed much harder if the TMZ bloke directly stated that the photos were doctored.

With that said, the jury likely more than enough ammo to come down hard on AH, but the fact that it depends on unanimous consensus makes it that much harder for JD to come out on top here.
You're confusing two different people. TMZ guy couldn't say Amber sent the videos because that would leave him liable for a lawsuit from TMZ. He basically confirmed she did it though - it's up to the jury to pick up on it.

The video guy couldn't say it because Heard's team was trying to stop him from saying it. However it was pretty obvious the videos had been edited. He just wasn't able to go into the process (or who edited them) because of Heard's lawyers.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017

I don't have an iPhone/iPad, so honestly no clue. And I'm also not that familiar with conversation extractions for trial purposes (oddly enough), so I can't say if this document would treat an iPad and an iPhone as two separate...entities? But my gut feeling says that it would'nt.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have an iPhone, does it show as incoming if it comes from your own account? I know Facebook messenger would say "Sent" no matter what device you're logging in from.
well, in addition to the outgoing and incoming thing, on the one where it says "incoming" the status of the message at the bottom says "read" and on messages where it says "outgoing" the message status is "sent".

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
I'm pretty confident at this point that Heard's lawyers were gaslighting Johnny on the stand and misleading the jury with the "molly" texts... AFAIK, no other devices except Depp's/Heard's were turned over during discovery.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Anyone else planning on keeping watching live trials after this when it's possible? The whole process is just fascinating.
I think I've come full circle because when I was a kid (like 8 years old) everyday I watched a show that was purely fake trials but it was all presented as real, and it all took place in the courtroom, and I did think it was all real. I was fascinated by it even though that's a weird thing to watch as a kid between episodes of Dragon Ball and Power Rangers.
Honestly, if I was 18 again and watched this trial when trying to pick what I wanted to do at uni I would have kept up with my original plan to go into law. Unfortunately I picked video game design and ended up as a civil servant haha. I'd be interested in watching more trials, but I'd prefer to see UK trials instead since they're more relevant to myself. Unfortunately we aren't big on livestreaming them. :[

You're confusing two different people. TMZ guy couldn't say Amber sent the videos because that would leave him liable for a lawsuit from TMZ. He basically confirmed she did it though - it's up to the jury to pick up on it.

The video guy couldn't say it because Heard's team was trying to stop him from saying it. However it was pretty obvious the videos had been edited. He just wasn't able to go into the process (or who edited them) because of Heard's lawyers.
Really it's up to Depp's team to drive this home during closing statements. If they don't bring it up then they're crazy.

well, in addition to the outgoing and incoming thing, on the one where it says "incoming" the status of the message at the bottom says "read" and on messages where it says "outgoing" the message status is "sent".
Yeah, I noticed that as well.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty confident at this point that Heard's lawyers were gaslighting Johnny on the stand and misleading the jury with the "molly" texts... AFAIK, no other devices except Depp's/Heard's were turned over during discovery.
I don't know about the molly stuff but they were definitely twisting his words for other parts.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if I was 18 again and watched this trial when trying to pick what I wanted to do at uni I would have kept up with my original plan to go into law. Unfortunately I picked video game design and ended up as a civil servant haha.
Not too late to get back into games and give us a UK based Ace Attorney!

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, a week or so ago I posted that I had seen the main french tv news channel say that Heard was the victim of the "social media court".
I see tonight that they've switched their stance and presented more Depp as a victim and Heard as a liar.
edit: sorry for the double post

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017

That wasn't why he was there. He was there to prove she was the one who leaked everything to TMZ for attention and to hurt Johnny, which she, again... Lied about.

She said she couldn't possibly have done it because she wouldn't even know how to... And immediately contradicted herself (because her ego just won't let her back down) by saying she would've essentially done 'way worse' than just leak a video... Not a good look.

There's a video of her slipping up about TMZ. It all adds up, because she's a f*cking liar.

As for the photos? Depp had an expert witness testify that there's basically no way to verify dates etc. because the pictures were tampered with in some way. They weren't directly from the acutal source i.e. her phone. The side-by-side also showed how she tells big lies about easily verifiable things.

The only thing that really sucked for Johnny today were his texts. Other than that though? They were hammering Heard pretty good, IMO.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Regardless I be confident in Johnny's team getting to the bottom off that message and coming back with a rebuttal

Seems Ambers team are no longer trying to prove Ambers innocence and more focused on twisting and destroying s Johnny's image to the jury

Like a cornered animal

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Regardless I be confident in Johnny's team getting to the bottom off that message and coming back with a rebuttal

Seems Ambers team are no longer trying to prove Ambers innocence and more focused on twisting and destroying s Johnny's image to the jury

Like a cornered animal
Yeah, I'm assuming their office phone is ringing off the hook with people saying "HEY DID YOU READ THE THING?" and they'll either be all "Oh fuck we didn't read the thing" or they'll be like "this isn't what people think it is".

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm assuming their office phone is ringing off the hook with people saying "HEY DID YOU READ THE THING?" and they'll either be all "Oh fuck we didn't read the thing" or they'll be like "this isn't what people think it is".
It doesn't make sense why it appeared this was the first time he'd seen it.

If it was produced from his phone, or anyone else's from his side, wouldn't his lawyers have gone through this with him prior to the trial? Or is Deuters not on his side and handing over evidence to AH instead?

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
[/QUOTE]
It doesn't make sense why it appeared this was the first time he'd seen it.

If it was produced from his phone, or anyone else's from his side, wouldn't his lawyers have gone through this with him prior to the trial?
They're actually from the phone of Johnny Deep, porn star.
Honest mistake to make

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

That wasn't why he was there. He was there to prove she was the one who leaked everything to TMZ for attention and to hurt Johnny, which she, again... Lied about.

She said she couldn't possibly have done it because she wouldn't even know how to... And immediately contradicted herself (because her ego just won't let her back down) by saying she would've essentially done 'way worse' than just leak a video... Not a good look.

There's a video of her slipping up about TMZ. It all adds up, because she's a f*cking liar.

As for the photos? Depp had an expert witness testify that there's basically no way to verify dates etc. because the pictures were tampered with in some way. They weren't directly from the acutal source i.e. her phone. The side-by-side also showed how she tells big lies about easily verifiable things.

The only thing that really sucked for Johnny today were his texts. Other than that though? They were hammering Heard pretty good, IMO.
oh-no-face-palm.gif

I see now where it got fucked up. Didn't realize I mixed up the two witnesses.

In that case, I retract my earlier statement; JD has a much stronger case if the jury thoroughly deliberates today's evidence.

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of whether he sent it or not, the optics look bad and it's been a horrible fuel to the weird Amber believers.

They ignore all the times she's been proven to have lied of course.

Oct 25, 2017
You know what makes me feel good? Watching Elaine get beaten bloody by a witness who was on the stand for all of 5 minutes with her own fucking words. That dude is a G.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

They're actually from the phone of Johnny Deep, porn star.
Honest mistake to make
[/QUOTE]

Considering what Johnny Deep looks like, that's a pretty huge mistake. Pun intended.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
One other thing, the software seems to put the owner of the phone at the top of the participants. So either Depp was the owner, and the texts about Molly are incoming so he didn't send them (and Deuters did...), or perhaps it wasn't Depp's phone, and Deuters was in a conversation with someone else.

Either way, Depp did not send those texts, and Rottenborn (and Heards team) are a bunch of assholes for outright saying that he did.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
No. If it's sent on iPad, you are the originator on iPhone, graphically, at least. It's like IMAP email in that respect. You send on one device, it shows sent on the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.