• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Okay. That this tweet was posted literally makes my blood boil. I was on the front lines of gamergate when it started. Literally. I was on The Escapist the second the Zoe Post got posted there. Literally was told my partner of many years was cheating on me because they were an adult model. And was doxed... Twice.

People who say this is like gamergate really need to remember what that was about. It was about an ex lying about the behavior of there former partner. And everyone just believed him. Even when evidence to the contrary was posted.
Jesus... I'm really sorry you had to go through that. Gamergate and everything revolving around it was a complete shitshow.

It's what I feared this would turn into, because of the Amber-hate online. She's horrible, but bad faith actor's were/are definitely using this case to try and dismiss women (Marilyn Manson comes to mind).

The bolded part of your description itself could absolutely be applied to describe the Amber and Johnny situation though, because it's exactly what's she's done.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil

JD lawyer - #JusticeForJohnnyDepp is not negative towards miss Heard, is it?
Twitter Expert - No, but the Tweets that use that hashtag are
JD lawyer - but the hashtag itself, the hashtag that predominates through your analysis, is not in fact negative towards miss Heard
Twitter Expert - I'm not opining on the hashtag itself, I'm talking about the tweets that contain that hashtag
JD lawyer - But the hashtag itself is not negative
Twitter Expert - That is not part of my opinion, one way or the other
JD lawyer - Do you have an opinion as to whether '#JusticeForJohnnyDepp' is a good thing?
Twitter Expert *chuckles nervously* - That's not part of my assignment
JD lawyer - ok but you will agree with me that justice, in general, is a good thing?
Twitter Expert - Big fan of justice
JD lawyer - me too

LMAO AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Jesus... I'm really sorry you had to go through that. Gamergate and everything revolving around it was a complete shitshow.

It's what I feared this would turn into, because of the Amber-hate online. She's horrible, but bad faith actor's were/are definitely using this case to try and dismiss women (Marilyn Manson comes to mind).

The bolded part of your description itself could absolutely be applied to describe the Amber and Johnny situation though, because it's exactly what's she's done.
That's why I mentioned it.

It infuriates me that other people who were Targets during GamerGate don't see the exact same scenario except with them on the side of the harassers.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
When the truth is undeniable and has reached so many people... I wonder how long before the people that are so vehemently against the thought of seeing Johnny as the victim no longer can peddle their bullshit.

Him winning would deal a huge blow to these pathetic, heartless people's credibility. I expect most of them to still double down and some of them to admit they were wrong...

But most of them will probably just stay quiet and not say shit.

I'm happy people such as Eva are coming out in support of him. Hopefully more people follow.

I think the way this normally works is they either stay quiet, or continue the fight. After all, morally they're on the right side of this is just that unfortuantely the facts they needed didn't come to light in the way they wanted.

But also keep it in the backpocket, just in case something else happens to someone else and pull out the "ya'll treating X just like ya'll treated Amber Heard." Super bonus points if the new case goes the way the want it, so they can retroactively claim they were right about Amber Heard's innocence just like they're right about New Case/Scandal/Thing.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Saw one progressive YouTuber "take a break" from Twitter due to the trial. They were defending Heard (are at least retweeting Heard talking points).

On one hand, those voices need to be challenged. On the other hand, is driving people away actually going to do any good?

Weird situation from a lot of online progressives I tend to like.

Oct 25, 2017
A good way to ruin #MeToo as a movement is to throw justice under the bus for one awful person who is basically proven to be an abuser at this point. I cannot think of a faster way to undermine the meaning and spirit of the movement. Johnny says #MeToo and people respond with, in essence, 'fuck you.' People who legitimately care about that movement will have to see their way to Depp's corner on this one -- it will give the other side ammo and completely undermine that movement to toss aside everything we know in pursuit of the letter of law at the sacrificial chamber of its spirit.
Saw one progressive YouTuber "take a break" from Twitter due to the trial. They were defending Heard (are at least retweeting Heard talking points).

On one hand, those voices need to be challenged. On the other hand, is driving people away actually going to do any good?

Rando YouTubers will get over their being wrong, as will most of their followers. We can't be worried about optics or any superfluous elements here, or we end up betraying the spirit of something like #MeToo, ultimately. They don't realize it is yet but supporting Johnny Depp right now is really important for that movement; there is so much evidence right now and it is so clearly cut that at this point no reasonable person can be in Heards corner — and that will absolutely blow up in their faces if they decide to completely ignore how things have changed.

Helel

Oct 27, 2017

What's the alternative?

Tamahagene

Banned
May 4, 2022

Which youtuber?

Tamahagene

Banned
May 4, 2022
Don't think there is one. It just sucks.

In this case, Princess Weekes.
Oh yeah.
She's been commenting under a lot of pro-Amber tweets all week.
The absolute amount of Amber Heard supporters saying they really aren't saying what their stances on this case really say about their views on male victims/female perpetrators.

anamika

May 18, 2018
I've been kind of staying off Twitter because it's been difficult this week, but man it still makes my stomach knot up when this stuff comes across my feed: https://schmaniel.tumblr.com/post/6...-to-mention-the-way-they-are-treating-this-as

Man, that back and forth about the justice hashtag is great.
Just ignore tumblr on this. Mostly teenagers engaged in performative feminism and social justice who make nonsense posts like this because they have no understanding of the issues at heart.

Unfortunately people like this get used by the right to show how the left can be wrong. I keep seeing how the MRA and misogynists championing Depp is a bad look and is the reason why progressives are hesitant to support Depp. At the same time, right wingers pointing out the hypocrisy and double standards of progressives and liberals is what is, IMO, more damaging. This makes it look like progressives care more about ideology rather than the truth and that's just so very disappointing. That progressives have showed themselves out to be as rigid and illogical as right wing idiots.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Apparently some morons went to review bomb and harass Dr. Alan Blaustein over him being witness in this case. Absolutely brain dead moronic as it was plainly obvious he didn't want to talk about his sessions with Depp, while his testimony was powerful for Depp's case.

Feb 16, 2022
Yeah, the comments are mostly supportive... I checked the first 10 or so.

Edit: Ok, we know why they're mostly positive now, comments have been limited on the post (probably to people Eva follows or something).
Instagram comments, especially in the pop culture domain, have been positive towards Depp for a few years now. Even back in 2018 when Heard was in Aquaman, all the comments I see are about kicking her off the franchise.

anamika

May 18, 2018
I think Orlando Bloom defended him too
Jason Momoa, who actually worked with Amber Heard on Aquaman, started following Johnny Depp on instagram the third day after the trial. I think that should tell us something. He can't openly say anything about the whole thing considering they are in the movie together, but the fact that he deliberately followed Depp knowing that others can see this, is I think a show of support.

It sucks that his Aquaman is getting this negative press because of Heard.

zeroOman

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think there is one. It just sucks.

In this case, Princess Weekes.
I did see one of her youtube where she defend amber without thinking about the different evidence that show her lying and making stuff, but all she did was giving excuses to her, and now it make a lot of sense why male victims don't say anything by just saying u are bigger or stronger she can't abuse u.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Okay. That this tweet was posted literally makes my blood boil. I was on the front lines of gamergate when it started. Literally. I was on The Escapist the second the Zoe Post got posted there. Literally was told my partner of many years was cheating on me because they were an adult model. And was doxed... Twice.

People who say this is like gamergate really need to remember what that was about. It was about an ex lying about the behavior of there former partner. And everyone just believed him. Even when evidence to the contrary was posted.

Sadly "ultra progressives" have been doing this for a long time. If they can't get you to change your mind/opinions with their arguments, they'll try and poison the ground you're standing on in an attempt to get you to move.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
"Okay, dear members of the jury, please remember you are not allowed to check on this case, not allowed to visit social media or anything on the media in general to form your opinion around what the public opinion might be."

"Oh and here's the top current hashtags on Twitter, all in favor of Johnny Depp and giving justice to him, while depicting Ms. Heard as a "Turd". Make of that what if any you will."
can't help but think revealing the majority of social media's support of Depp could be detrimental to Depp instead
Heard and her team can easily say it's a PR move

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
152k people watching ASMONGOLD watch the trial. What the fuck even is current year
Thats whats mental about this case especially when AH team trying to claim it's all bots against her. Obviously know people on here's feelings about Asmon but he has been essentially streaming this entire trial on Twitch and has been pulling is crazy numbers not only on Twitch but on Youtube his trial videos are pulling in insane views compared to any other content he has ever done some getting over 10M views already which is nuts.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Thats whats mental about this case especially when AH team trying to claim it's all bots against her. Obviously know people on here's feelings about Asmon but he has been essentially streaming this entire trial on Twitch and has been pulling is crazy numbers not only on Twitch but on Youtube his trial videos are pulling in insane views compared to any other content he has ever done some getting over 10M views already which is nuts.
Moist Critikal also watched Amber Heard's cross examination and his video is at 2.1M views.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
can't help but think revealing the majority of social media's support of Depp could be detrimental to Depp instead
Heard and her team can easily say it's a PR move
Maybe, but given the general age and impressions we have of what the Jury looks like, I feel like they know how Social Media works, and how to read this. We'll see.

I'm really curious about the jury's reactions when reading out those hashtags. Wonder if there was snickering or eyerolling.

Oct 25, 2017
Johnny said he won't work with Disney again, im curious after this case if they will immediately start slapping Captain Jack back on stuff again though.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Johnny said he won't work with Disney again, im curious after this case if they will immediately start slapping Captain Jack back on stuff again though.
Depp said he wouldn't work with Disney even if they gave him $300 million and a million alpacas, but he never said he wouldn't come back for $301 million and a million and one alpacas.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Moist Critikal also watched Amber Heard's cross examination and his video is at 2.1M views.
What's disheartening about it is that that's where ordinary people will turn to when you don't f*cking cover this fairly and have an obvious bias toward the abuser.

You turn people toward problematic assholes. It's so frustratingly stupid and damaging. More people like Eva need to come forward in support of him, it's completely undeniable at this point that he was the victim.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Huh Johnny depp had a livestream going on that I had open on YouTube but then I went and played some apex mobile. Now it says his account was terminated, weird. Idk what happened lol, idk what he was even really talking besides movie dealings business for the couple minutes I saw.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Huh Johnny depp had a livestream going on that I had open on YouTube but then I went and played some apex mobile. Now it says his account was terminated, weird. Idk what happened lol, idk what he was even really talking besides movie dealings business for the couple minutes I saw.
It was streaming an interview from 2 years ago and the title was about him dating Camille Vasquez so I'd say it was a fake account.

GreyFox

Oct 28, 2017

Shady fake streams. Don't follow them.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
This type of crap is genuinely driving me crazy.

They are intent on gaslighting the shit out of us. No mention of Johnny trying to run away. No mention of her admitting to starting fights. No mention of her calling him a baby for running and hiding... FUCK these people!!

Last edited:

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
This type of crap is genuinely drivning me crazy.

They are intent on gaslighting the shit out of us. No mention of Johnny trying to run away. No mention of her admitting to starting fights. No mention of her calling him a baby for running and hiding... FUCK these people!!

They seem to rather drill into a comforting belief that defies reality than have their initial perception challenged or rebuked. It takes courage to be open to testing a decided perspective especially those based on emotion or faith or desire.

This trial is proving so many are willing to shield up and twist any argument than have that courage to admit being wrong or misled. Opinion is holding more sway than facts and social media has served to perpetuate that dichotomy. I cant bother looking at anything but the trial itself, much like the jury. It's nothing but insanity elsewhere.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
I have been following this trial closely, as I'm extremely interested in the US judicial system, being Italian it's completely different from how ours work.
I won't get into how i feel about this, what I'll say though is that I HATE with a passion how this trial is being used to make political statements.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
I have been following this trial closely, as I'm extremely interested in the US judicial system, being Italian it's completely different from how ours work.
I won't get into how i feel about this, what I'll say though is that I HATE with a passion how this trial is being used to make political statements.

You mean it's not just time to believe all women?

(I can't even believe that was even a thing)

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
You mean it's not just time to believe all women?

(I can't even believe that was even a thing)
Don't turn it into that.

What's happened to Johnny is tragic, but the truth is at least coming out.

That doesn't mean that the movement wasn't empowering for victims in general, because it was.

How they went about it with Johnny is a perfect example of how not to do it. It's tragic in every way.

He will hopefully get his justice and it might spark a similar wave for male victims of abuse (rather than it turning into a 'don't believe female victims' issue).

It's not about not believing women, it's about not believing a specific woman - Amber Heard.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
Don't turn it into that.

What's happened to Johnny is tragic, but the truth is at least coming out.

That doesn't mean that the movement wasn't empowering for victims in general, because it was.

How they went about it with Johnny is a perfect example of how not to do it. It's tragic in every way.

He will hopefully get his justice and it might spark a similar wave for male victims of abuse (rather than it turning into a 'don't believe female victims' issue).

It's not about not believing women, it's about not believing a specific woman - Amber Heard.

Which is exactly my point.
I get how women have been marginalized in society for centuries, and they imo have in a way gained the right to go to the polar opposite of "believing all women", but if we want to move forward with our society the aim shouldn't even be "believe everyone", but "listen to everyone".
Everyone has the right to being listened to, but the notion that we should just believe anyone sound wrong to me, be it woman or man.

This is being made into a MeToo vs male oppression trial by some, and used as an excuse for misogyny by others, which is honestly inexcusable for both sides.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not too up on the American judicial system, is there much chance she gets done for perjury by the state? I'm assuming not.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
The whole point of believe all women was to make victims comfortable enough to come forward and come forward sooner. Specially in rape cases because finding evidence even days later is very difficult. But the next step once they come forward should be thorough investigation, to make sure that people don't miss use court of public opinion like Amber Heard.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's a complex situation. I could sadly see this affecting a lot of women, particularly famous women from coming forward, but slightly for the wrong reasons if it's due to this case. I feel hugely for Evan Rachel Wood (and the numerous other women who have accused Marilyn Manson ) who will have to suffer through that upcoming defamation trial, for example. you only need to look at the op eds and progressive blue ticks who still maintain Heard is innocent and whatever the outcome of the trial that it's going to stop women coming forward for that to get into the minds of a lot of people. hyperbolic headlines like the "death of me too" really aren't helping. None of the potential implications change the facts of the case in my eyes though and I hope there'd be enough awareness (if none of the claims against him are substantiated) to see that a victim of domestic abuse (Depp) got the chance to clear their name and that it would be a good thing if that happens.

Last edited:

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not too up on the American judicial system, is there much chance she gets done for perjury by the state? I'm assuming not.
I believe that if anyone were to bring perjury charges it would be the UK due to her testifying there under oath that she had paid the amount in full to the two charities. Could be wrong though.

To my knowledge, perjury requires for the subject to have intentionally given a false statement under oath. The prosecution would have to prove said intent beyond a shadow of a doubt.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
This type of crap is genuinely drivning me crazy.

I can't roll my eyes hard enough.

I think earlier this same person was saying look at the bruises, but as usual they never include her description of what caused these bruises, do they?
Heard's compulsive lying did her in, you can't hear her describe those assaults then look at the picture that followed and buy her version of events.

Honestly, had she matched up her story with the visible bruises in those pictures (he'd take his rings off, he tried to not leave a mark to hide his abuse but failed, etc etc) I think a lot of us would've bought her narrative and placed less value on the other evidence. But I guess she couldn't help herself, so she lies, and the people who insist on believing her bullshit come across like nutjobs.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I believe that if anyone were to bring perjury charges it would be the UK due to her testifying there under oath that she had paid the amount in full to the two charities. Could be wrong though.

To my knowledge, perjury requires for the subject to have intentionally given a false statement under oath. The prosecution would have to prove said intent beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Thanks for the reply, didn't think of that as being a possibility.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
This type of crap is genuinely driving me crazy.

Yet another case of "Actually, her initiating violence is actually evidence that she was the victim."
Leaded petrol really did a number on society didn't it?

ravn0s

Oct 29, 2017

She's also being investigated for perjury In Australia.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fucking tragedy how much this case and Heard are poisoning the progressive movement. So many figures digging their heels in the sand and getting (in some ways rightfully) mocked by conservative shitheads is just lending credence to their beliefs and make progressives look like morons

Status
Not open for further replies.