• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
I've seen some commentary on there being 3 juror women and that is somehow is bad for JD.

I don't think it's necessary that it's bad, considering two things:

1. The age of the women jurors. If they are closer to JD in age, I wouldn't expect to be in the known with a lot of the last decade's #metoo stuff. Even more considering they aren't supposed to know who JD and AH are. You only get old people that way.
2. JD and AH abysmal charisma difference. JD's career has been built on being a charisma machine for the female demographic and he comes across as genuine and lovable. He looks amazing for this age and is probably closer to the women's husbands and brothers than AH is. I don't think that case could be made for AH. If this was, idk, Jack Black, Jason Statham or even Nic Cage, I would say the charisma wouldn't matter.

Also could have come across as being performative / stunt.

He wear it on his sleeve who he is and there has been metric ton of testimony to show that Depp is chill dude when drink and drugs are involved.
Yeah that's my other POV. How come he's never had an issue with other people when UTI, but somehow AH is the only one.

AH certainly didn't care and went and got a sympathy kid.

MathChief

Feb 2, 2020
I think that's the case tbh. They don't have much to work with and they are defending a liar, at some point you just run out of things to try and defend them with, more often than not the evidence sort of speaks for itself really.

It seems a bit desperate from them.
I disagree.

Even one serves as an AH's witness, that person is fulfilling one's civic duty, in that every person has the right to get a fair trial. Of course, whether the witness has the capacity to tell the truth to fulfill that duty is another story.

Tamahagene

Banned
May 4, 2022
old.reddit.com

Is it just me or are people getting a little out of hand with the Johnny Depp trial?

Posted in r/cringepics by u/PandaPocketFire • 8,865 points and 1,064 comments

A Thread with 60 upvotes in three hours is enough for all these people to dismiss the case, equivocate abuse, and make misogyny/celebrity worship the main issue.

Depp supporters are the only people susceptible to manipulation/media hype and who lack knowledge.
From the beginning anything remotely pro-Depp was met with discussions of phantom MRA's and worrying that of things went further how women would be hurt, for multiple years now; and I remember saying each time that by doing that people were distracting from the issues at hand and not giving themselves or anyone the opportunity to engage with the wider issues of male victims/Depp's potential for innocence.
They aren't being reactionary to actual backlash, these takes are just their default.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Doctor clearly doesn't want to be going through his sessions with Depp, which is understandable.

Also this testimony really doesn't make Depp look bad, but I can see jury feeling for him even more after this.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JD looked for therapy while having a bad time with AH. How is this advancing anyone's case?

I guess they're trying to further their idea that Depp was jealous of Heard getting attention from other famous men/women and was some paranoid maniac as a result of his drug taking, so he would lash out as a result. There are a zillion character witnesses to rebut it of course, but sadly you only need to see how the press are covering this shit to see that it has a chance of working and staying as the impression people many have of him.

Last edited:

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be kind and assume that was a gaffe but I'm struggling to understand what she would've meant lol. surely wasn't even the best grossing or best rated DC film at the time?

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Is this for AH? cause it's not good for her claims. Pretty much just saying Amber had no chemistry with Jason and her salary didn't change from what was agreed first time.

Tamahagene

Banned
May 4, 2022
Another atrocious article by Michelle Goldberg and endorsed by Roxane Gay of blue check fame:

www.nytimes.com

Opinion | Amber Heard and the Death of #MeToo

The actress is being subjected to industrial-scale bullying.

"But even if you believe that Heard acted inexcusably, the idea that she was the primary aggressor - against a larger man with far more resources - defies logic."

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
"Okay, dear members of the jury, please remember you are not allowed to check on this case, not allowed to visit social media or anything on the media in general to form your opinion around what the public opinion might be."

"Oh and here's the top current hashtags on Twitter, all in favor of Johnny Depp and giving justice to him, while depicting Ms. Heard as a "Turd". Make of that what if any you will."

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
"Okay, dear members of the jury, please remember you are not allowed to check on this case, not allowed to visit social media or anything on the media in general to form your opinion around what the public opinion might be."

"Oh and here's the top current hashtags on Twitter, all in favor of Johnny Depp and giving justice to him, while depicting Ms. Heard as a "Turd". Make of that what if any you will."

LOL. This was my exact thought as well.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Another atrocious article by Michelle Goldberg and endorsed by Roxane Gay of blue check fame:

www.nytimes.com

"But even if you believe that Heard acted inexcusably, the idea that she was the primary aggressor - against a larger man with far more resources - defies logic."
Short men can't be abusers/ tall women can't be victims
Noted

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017

www.nytimes.com

I saw this yesterday and was pretty appalled. Another article that can't even fathom a male victim of abuse.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I disagree.

Even one serves as an AH's witness, that person is fulfilling one's civic duty, in that every person has the right to get a fair trial. Of course, whether the witness has the capacity to tell the truth to fulfill that duty is another story.

My point is, they are called up by the defense team of a liar so they don't have much to work with, they can only do what they can do to make AH and her lies look more credible.

Make no mistake, she is a liar.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be kind and assume that was a gaffe but I'm struggling to understand what she would've meant lol. surely wasn't even the best grossing or best rated DC film at the time?

Unadjusted for inflation, it is in fact the highest grossing DC film. Sits just shy of $1.15 billion, where even the Dark Knight films never got above 1.1 billion

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
How does her talent manager/agent saying no one in Hollywood would explicitly say they're not hiring Heard due to the negative press around her help their case, when it's the exact argument they were trying to make against Depp's damages claim?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
LOL. This was my exact thought as well.
i think they're banking on the narrative that the media is carrying, 'they're (now) both horrible people, but Johnny Depp is a proven abuser and possible rapist and torturer. Even if Amber did terrible things, it was because of the terrible things Johnny must have done. The British courts said it was all mostly true, so this is all just an expensive public sympathy campaign to smear a domestic violence victim's good name. Also mentioning the chilling effect it's having on women, Johnny Depp's case damages victims everywhere.

And now you have the "public" supporting this horrible person because he's famous and charismatic, and making a victim look terrible, calling her names, etc. '

They're expecting it to reinforce the idea that JD is again in full control and using his fame to antagonize his ex-wife. They're hoping that even if one person feels that way it will help their case.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

www.nytimes.com

What an insane take lol

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

www.nytimes.com

One of the comments to that article

"I've been a federal appellate attorney and a civil rights attorney for over 20 years.

My clients were overwhelmingly female among the cases involving accusations of domestic abuse.

Every appellate attorney writing a brief must start with a recitation of the facts, meaning all of the facts, even those unfavorable to your client.

Fail to fairly recite facts, or worse pretend no contradicting evidence exists, and your clients claim/appeal will be summarily dismissed no matter how meritorious.

You can use dependent clauses in your statement of facts to lay a foundation for your case, but you must fully list the evidence. It means writing something like: "Ms. Heard's assertions that Mr. Depp assaulted her on numerous occasions are supported by forensic evidence…while Mr. Depp stated…" You act as if Mr. Depp's testimony, a host of supporting testimony, expert testimony, and physical evidence, does not exist because it is inconvenient.

You act as Ms. Heard's advocate yet seem to believe that no persuasion is required here as long as you pretend that no opposing evidence was ever presented.

Many of us in the legal field feared #MeToo was doomed from the start because it was a movement that began in Hollywood and was obsessed with Hollywood. It now ends because of Hollywood.

Sadly, #MeToo has not helped any of my clients. They, like the mass of victimized women, have nothing to do with the rarefied world Amber Heard lives in, with her handlers, publicity teams, and spin doctors."

Not sure I agree that metoo hasn't helped people outside of hollywood but the rest I do agree with.

GreyFox

Oct 28, 2017
JD legal team has almost 10 hours more time left than AH team next week. Good for them, especially in regards to the rebuttals.

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
Damla Sönmez, a very famous actress in Turkey also liked Eva Green's IG post... I dunno about you guys but I love that actress so much, I find it kinda endearing that this case is reaching all corners of the world like that.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
When the truth is undeniable and has reached so many people... I wonder how long before the people that are so vehemently against the thought of seeing Johnny as the victim no longer can peddle their bullshit.

Him winning would deal a huge blow to these pathetic, heartless people's credibility. I expect most of them to still double down and some of them to admit they were wrong...

But most of them will probably just stay quiet and not say shit.

I'm happy people such as Eva are coming out in support of him. Hopefully more people follow.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Apparently Aquaman was "the most successful movie of all time, ever"
I know it's kind of been addressed that it's the highest grossing DC movie of all time, but it's also worth pointing out that it was also the 24th highest grossing movie of all time as well. The movie did ridiculous numbers considering it starred, of all characters, Aquaman.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
Depp's team has a lot more time to play with. When AH's team gets down to zero, they could call anyone without a chance for cross.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

Okay. That this tweet was posted literally makes my blood boil. I was on the front lines of gamergate when it started. Literally. I was on The Escapist the second the Zoe Post got posted there. Literally was told my partner of many years was cheating on me because they were an adult model. And was doxed... Twice.

People who say this is like gamergate really need to remember what that was about. It was about an ex lying about the behavior of there former partner. And everyone just believed him. Even when evidence to the contrary was posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.