• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
IMO posts about not needing to choose sides is vastly different than your accusation of saying "both are equally bad". I didn't see anything about both being equally bad in the posts you presented as evidence.
You're mixing up two different discussions. The posts I presented were "evidence" of SkinnyIndonesian throwing around accusations left and right, proving their later "I never accused anyone of anything" comment to be a lie. The evidence for "both are equally bad" on the other hand is their very first post in the thread:
Both are likely abusers who deserved each other. I'm fine if neither of them is in any movies ever again, really.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Um...what the fuck is "angry balck cunt music"???
Racism from Eve Fartlow, the woman who was thrown out of this court for live tweeting and passing messages with Amber Heard. Just a general lying scumbag.

FQfQK7wXEAUktls

FQfQK7xX0AkS5z-

FQfQK7zWUAc_qW6

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
The details about Depp escaping to the bathroom really affect me deeply. In my old apartment with my former partner I'd escape to the bathroom, the only room in the house with a lockable door. I should've hid there when she started hitting me, but I'd had a habit of standing my ground via trying to talk her down and at that point I was used to the escalation.

I wanna read more but I also don't because that part of the deposition with her trying to talk down his concerns about violence towards him are triggering, as are recent threads of others talking down violence and what form of physical altercation is "acceptable".

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to be honest it's really a starting to stick out to me how bans are not being handed out here for victim blaming in what's likely the highest profile case of a male victim of abuse, or even warnings for that matter.
You think? Lol. This thread is a free for all on victim blaming. There should be tombstones all over the place. But nary a warning anywhere.

Jun 17, 2019
It makes me uncomfortable, but I do wonder how much the idea of "privileged classes" (ie cis, white) contributes to this tendency to immediately demonize people for accused actions vs others. Like it makes me feel like a shit person but I do sometimes wonder if the people pushing for Ezra Miller to get help would be as tolerant to Ezra's behavior they wasn't nonbinary, compared to other people who are accused.

For Depp, I honestly believe the people refusing to see him as a victim of abuse would claim that his cis white male status makes him immune to all potential abuse, as stupid as that sounds.

Same here. It's like...I hope to put this as honestly as I can, that there's stereotypes about queer men and how they are perceived as less a threat, or can do less harm due to them being seen as more feminine. So like...when we look at say Ezra vs say Zachary Quinto, there's a different perception to them because of how they are seen. So someone with a more "Manley" look like Zach, if he were doing what Ezra was I would think there would be more of a direct calling for him to be held accountable over Ezra, due to the fact that Zachary is seen, at least on screen, as a more "masculine" (Skyler, Spock, etc.) type of character given the roles he has played. Where as Ezra, due to the roles they have played before the Flash, have been more "feminine" types of characters (wallflower type, shy nerd type, etc.), so they are perceived as less of a threat, what damage could someone like them do vs. how people would react to Zachary because he comes off as more muscular and stronger.

It's the same thing here too I think. There's this thought that because Amber is a woman she can't hurt a man that is only slightly taller than she is. But as with Ezra, given their actions in managing to throw a chair and hurt a woman, someone perceived as more feminine in nature, doesn't and shouldn't negate the possibility of them causing serious harm to another person.

This is why I don't like that people dismiss the officer that took her to court over her defamation on the officer, who was a woman, Queer herself, and a person who helped out abuse cases for the queer community. And either it was dropped or Heard settled it out of court. It's hard to now find much about it.

Um...what the fuck is "angry balck cunt music"???

Apparently whatever Eva Barlow feels black music is.

Funny, Depp defended a homeless black woman from being harassed by a guy that is now taking him to court over some bullshit (along with the rest of the production because the guy was let go for his behavior on set), and yet no one is calling out Amber's new girlfriend for being a racist PoS.

The details about Depp escaping to the bathroom really affect me deeply. In my old apartment with my former partner I'd escape to the bathroom, the only room in the house with a lockable door. I should've hid there when she started hitting me, but I'd had a habit of standing my ground via trying to talk her down and at that point I was used to the escalation.

I wanna read more but I also don't because that part of the deposition with her trying to talk down his concerns about violence towards him are triggering, as are recent threads of others talking down violence and what form of physical altercation is "acceptable".

I'm very sorry to hear about this. Take your time and walk away from it if you have to.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I have to be honest it's really a starting to stick out to me how bans are not being handed out here for victim blaming in what's likely the highest profile case of a male victim of abuse, or even warnings for that matter.

Speaking purely for myself without any moderation experience, I'd rather there not be mass bans. Like if someone is being obnoxious in the face of evidence, thread ban maybe, but in general I've never really liked the perms and harsh bans with pile ups. People are flawed and make mistakes. You can't learn if you're permed.

That's just my opinion. Someone that's suffered abuse and victim blaming I could total understand a harsher stance.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking purely for myself without any moderation experience, I'd rather there not be mass bans. Like if someone is being obnoxious in the face of evidence, thread ban maybe, but in general I've never really liked the perms and harsh bans with pile ups. People are flawed and make mistakes. You can't learn if you're permed.

That's just my opinion. Someone that's suffered abuse and victim blaming I could total understand a harsher stance.

That's a fine perspective to have and I don't disagree with it, but I think what they're saying is the type of response is disproportionate to the type of response done when a female abuse victim gets victim blamed.

Oct 25, 2017
I can easily forgive people who came in here, posted once, and were still making the wrong calls here. The story is a bit confusing, and everyone has probably heard a lot of things -- many conflicting.

That said if you're a repeat offender or doubling down in any way, yeah, I think it'd be good to pull a threadban trigger at the least.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
It's because he's well off, and a guy, who has had issues with drugs and drinking in the past. Yet people will say to give Ezra Miller a chance even though they have harmed a number of women, and some men. Yet because they haven't had any run ins with drugs or drinking, more people want to give them the chance to get help.

We need to start seeing men as victims.

Depp is most definitely a victim. I hope he gets help with the trauma he's experienced. Men can be and are victims of abuse. Physical and emotional.

I do want Heard to get help as well, just as I do with Ezra, for different reasons as Depp. I don't want her hurting anyone else.

It makes me uncomfortable, but I do wonder how much the idea of "privileged classes" (ie cis, white) contributes to this tendency to immediately demonize people for accused actions vs others. Like it makes me feel like a shit person but I do sometimes wonder if the people pushing for Ezra Miller to get help would be as tolerant to Ezra's behavior they wasn't nonbinary, compared to other people who are accused.

I've been pretty vocal about Ezra getting help. It's not that I'm tolerate of their actions, their actions are abhorrent. I want them to get help because I want them to not harm anyone else and I have zero faith in the prison industrial complex to do anything to rehabilitate folks. It doesn't matter who it is.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
That's a fine perspective to have and I don't disagree with it, but I think what they're saying is the type of response is disproportionate to the type of response done when a female abuse victim gets victim blamed.

I don't think the male vs. female distinction is the determinative one here.

It's the absence of the usual victim blaming rhetoric. People are processing an event that hasn't been given a dominant narrative. In the existing narrative, it's not that Depp was an imperfect victim, but rather that there's a stark juxtaposition between growing evidence that he was physically and emotionally abused and the very real possibility that Amber Heard was physically assaulted, as well. You can argue mutual abuse is a myth, that there is an element of reactionary abuse there, that people should do more research, but the usual victim blaming and just processing the specter of two people who ended up deeply hurting each other come from notably different places.

Read this NYT article: Johnny Depp, Accused of Spousal Abuse, Says Ex-Wife Was the Aggressor

Illustrative snippet:

Mr. Depp told the jury that, at the time, Ms. Heard was angry about a meeting she had with a lawyer about a potential postnuptial agreement and threw two vodka bottles at him, one of which missed while another shattered into his hand, causing his finger to bleed "like Vesuvius." He testified that he then experienced a "nervous breakdown" and used his bloody finger to write on the walls messages that "represented lies that she told me."

Ms. Heard, who is expected to take the stand later in the trial, has given a very different account of the incident in Australia, writing in court papers that Mr. Depp became violent with her during an argument about his drug use. She has said that at one point he grabbed her by the neck and collarbone and slammed her into a countertop, then hit her with the back of his hand and slammed a phone against a wall until it "smashed into smithereens," injuring his finger.

A lot of people are going to read stuff like that and feel that the easiest place to land is "both parties were toxic and abusive." Some of you are calling that sentiment victim blaming. That's understandable, perhaps it is, but this strikes me as a case that calls for some serious soul searching as to why that's the case, as opposed to using it as a cudgel to get people banned or using it as a launching pad to complain about moderation and double standards.

Jun 17, 2019
Depp is most definitely a victim. I hope he gets help with the trauma he's experienced. Men can be and are victims of abuse. Physical and emotional.

I do want Heard to get help as well, just as I do with Ezra, for different reasons as Depp. I don't want her hurting anyone else.

I agree, girl needs help and badly given what's on those tapes. I think for someone like Depp, in his previous issues with drinking and drugs, rehab and other similar things to help with PTSD or whatever he has suffering from his past abuse with his mother (did I hear right in that she was the reason he's blind in one eye?) and with what Heard triggered for him.

For Ezra and Heard help is needed but, I also think something akin to a service where they have to confront what they've done in some way. Like for Ezra, assisting in something to do with assaults and talking with others who have been attacked or I don't know, helping build a center physically for the people on the island. Heard, she needs to get into a program for anger management, and maybe help with additional stuff with male abuse victims or something that would make her think about how her actions affect others.

I just think that there has to be some sort of punishment, maybe that's not the right word, for committing such acts against others, and not just, you know, paying a fine and leaving it at that. Some serious stuff. Like community service but harder if that makes sense?

I've been pretty vocal about Ezra getting help. It's not that I'm tolerate of their actions, their actions are abhorrent. I want them to get help because I want them to not harm anyone else and I have zero faith in the prison industrial complex to do anything to rehabilitate folks. It doesn't matter who it is.

Like I said above, some form of harsher community service that makes them reflect on their actions. Not sure what that could be but I think such things need to be issued in cases like Heard and Miller as both have some serious issues here to work out, but their actions can't just be a fine and walk out the door, you know.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I agree, girl needs help and badly given what's on those tapes. I think for someone like Depp, in his previous issues with drinking and drugs, rehab and other similar things to help with PTSD or whatever he has suffering from his past abuse with his mother (did I hear right in that she was the reason he's blind in one eye?) and with what Heard triggered for him.

For Ezra and Heard help is needed but, I also think something akin to a service where they have to confront what they've done in some way. Like for Ezra, assisting in something to do with assaults and talking with others who have been attacked or I don't know, helping build a center physically for the people on the island. Heard, she needs to get into a program for anger management, and maybe help with additional stuff with male abuse victims or something that would make her think about how her actions affect others.

I just think that there has to be some sort of punishment, maybe that's not the right word, for committing such acts against others, and not just, you know, paying a fine and leaving it at that. Some serious stuff. Like community service but harder if that makes sense?

Like I said above, some form of harsher community service that makes them reflect on their actions. Not sure what that could be but I think such things need to be issued in cases like Heard and Miller as both have some serious issues here to work out, but their actions can't just be a fine and walk out the door, you know.

I absolutely agree. I think community service helping victims of abuse would be great. Heard could help men who have been victims of abuse and Ezra can help women who have been victims of abuse. I have no problem with restitution and rehabilitation. I have a problem with the dumpster fire that is our prison system.

Jun 17, 2019
I don't think the male vs. female distinction is the determinative one here.

It's the absence of the usual victim blaming rhetoric. People are processing an event that hasn't been given a dominant narrative. In the existing narrative, it's not that Depp was an imperfect victim, but rather that there's a stark juxtaposition between growing evidence that he was physically and emotionally abused and the very real possibility that Amber Heard was physically assaulted, as well. You can argue mutual abuse is a myth, that there is an element of reactionary abuse there, that people should do more research, but the usual victim blaming and just processing the specter of two people who ended up deeply hurting each other come from notably different places.

Read this NYT article: Johnny Depp, Accused of Spousal Abuse, Says Ex-Wife Was the Aggressor

Illustrative snippet:

A lot of people are going to read stuff like that and feel that the easiest place to land is "both parties were toxic and abusive." Some of you are calling that sentiment victim blaming. That's understandable, perhaps it is, but this strikes me as a case that calls for some serious soul searching as to why that's the case, as opposed to using it as a cudgel to get people banned or using it as a launching pad to complain about moderation and double standards.

I agree people shouldn't just be banned on things, but I do think that there needs to be a discussion on how male victims get painted by people and an appropriate response to it.

It would be like if Rachel Evan Woods had some sort of text come out where she said some really horrible shit about Manson, and people would be saying that both people were bad because she, I don't know, got a DUI or something and then they saw the text and started to say that she was as bad as Manson, and didn't catch some sort of warning about that.

Not a cudgel but something to say "You might want to double check what you heard." kind of thing.

Is it assault though if she was attacking him? I mean same for female victims, can we say it's assault if they're defending themselves?

I absolutely agree. I think community service helping victims of abuse would be great. Heard could help men who have been victims of abuse and Ezra can help women who have been victims of abuse. I have no problem with restitution and rehabilitation. I have a problem with the dumpster fire that is our prison system.

Absolutely agreed. I think both would be a good step for offenders of abuse. I would even say some form of home monitoring or something if the abuse was significant that it posed a threat to people. Ie, said abuser tried to run their victim over with a car or attempted to kill them.

Feb 16, 2022
You're mixing up two different discussions. The posts I presented were "evidence" of SkinnyIndonesian throwing around accusations left and right, proving their later "I never accused anyone of anything" comment to be a lie. The evidence for "both are equally bad" on the other hand is their very first post in the thread:
If you have no interest in forgiving me for making some human errors, please leave me alone. This is borderline bullying.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what Heard's lawyers were trying to do today but I don't think it was very effective. According to a report from a person who allegedly attended the trial, the jury was mostly checked out during the cross examination and the stream I saw (LegalBytes') which was being commented on by various law experts kind of unanimously believe that there were very few compelling arguments brought fourth and a lot of time wasted on frivolous that don't benefit their case at all.

Some of them are still of the opinion that regardless of how compelling Depp's statements were, the law is not on his side, though one disagrees. But yeah what a messy day of dragging Depp further through the mud and for no discernable result. They even think they may have made Depp a bit more sympathetic because he had already admitted to some of the issues being brought forth and some of the evidence submitted kind of cemented that further.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel for Depp here. Facing all that abuse and getting his name dragged through the mud in the process. Hope he can get some justice.

Kinda sucks that there are people still supporting Heard even after all this came out.

Feb 16, 2022
You went hard in the paint and then doubled down. Don't play the victim when you get called out.
"Doubled down" would imply I refused to admit I made mistakes. I already admitted multiple times I made bad posts in this thread and made mistakes. But even as I stayed away, the same person keep pulling up previous posts to make the same point over and over again, that I screwed up. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, sorry. When you already feel so shitty and insecure about your self-worth and whether you're a good person or not on a daily basis, getting reminded over and over that I made huge mistakes even after trying to ignore and stop posting just feel like getting beaten up over and over again.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
"Doubled down" would imply I refused to admit I made mistakes. I already admitted multiple times I made bad posts in this thread and made mistakes. But even as I stayed away, the same person keep pulling up previous posts to make the same point over and over again, that I screwed up. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, sorry. When you already feel so shitty and insecure about your self-worth and whether you're a good person or not on a daily basis, getting reminded over and over that I made huge mistakes even after trying to ignore and stop posting just feel like getting beaten up over and over again.
Bro, this is an Internet forum full of keyboard warriors, you should never let it impact your sense of self worth. You're allowed to make mistakes and fess up to them. If that isn't enough then the forum isn't worth stressing over. Honest to God, there are better and more proactive things you can do than worry about some people online. Put this thread on ignore and move on for your own health, you don't owe anyone anything.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
The Heard stuff that I've seen here seems a fair bit worse than what came out in the UK trial. Could have merely been the scope of that trial being against the paper and not Heard that solely focused on the Depp related stuff - or the way UK trials work - not really sure.

That said, there is still a lot of stuff from Depp that I find extremely disturbing - especially those text messages that are *extremely* upsetting.

I've long felt that this felt like a codependent/coabusive relationship since the first Heard stuff came out, but Heard is coming off as much more the aggressor here at this point in what I have read. Hopefully both of them get whatever help they need - because in very different ways they feel like people that could use a lot of time out of the public spotlight - and I still hope that WB removes Heard from Aquaman.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But even as I stayed away, the same person keep pulling up previous posts to make the same point over and over again, that I screwed up. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, sorry.

If they don't want to accept that you admitted your error, that's their problem, not yours. If it continues to bother you, just throw them on ignore and move on.

Edit: And lol that that warrented a staff post and not the victim blaming going on in here.

Last edited:

anamika

May 18, 2018
I don't know how that keeps getting taken out of the contextual understanding.

Again, maybe this has to do with the gender of the persons involved.

So much of this reminds me Melissa Benoist and Blake Jenner. She used to get a lot of hate for starting a relationship with Chris Woods during filming season 2 of Supergirl with accusations of her cheating on Jenner etc. And then she made that post about the abuse and violence and him throwing his phone at her head and injuring her and covering it up with make up and pretending everything was okay and how she changed as a person. And then after a year Blake Jenner made that post about how it was a mutually abusive relationship etc.by which time no one cared about his excuses and justifications.

EKeGOqMXYAEuGF0

Jun 17, 2019
The Heard stuff that I've seen here seems a fair bit worse than what came out in the UK trial. Could have merely been the scope of that trial being against the paper and not Heard that solely focused on the Depp related stuff - or the way UK trials work - not really sure.

That said, there is still a lot of stuff from Depp that I find extremely disturbing - especially those text messages that are *extremely* upsetting.

I've long felt that this felt like a codependent/coabusive relationship since the first Heard stuff came out,
but Heard is coming off as much more the aggressor here at this point in what I have read. Hopefully both of them get whatever help they need - because in very different ways they feel like people that could use a lot of time out of the public spotlight - and I still hope that WB removes Heard from Aquaman.

May I inquire once again, what, outside of the text was extremely disturbing about him? That he needed treatment for drugs and drink? He admitted that a lot of issues stem from a mother who abused both him and his siblings (to the point that she made him legally blind in one eye)? That he comes off as a bit odd in personality? A lot of actors to this day come off as such. That he once tattooed his girlfriend's name on his arm? Okay again not so unusual.

If it's about the texts then I once again I have to point to Jay North, the child actor of Dennis the Menace, who was abused while he was acting by his aunt and uncle. In his own words, he would draw pictures of burning, hanging, gutting and other upsetting things to his abusive Aunt and Uncle and a lot of the production staff of the show who knew what was happening and wouldn't help him.

If anything Depp's text remind me of this because it's how abuse victims sometimes vent their feelings because they are too scared or unable to express this to the person abusing them. They become so upset that they waver between suicidal and wanting to hurt themselves or the abuser.

It wasn't. Prior to going with Heard Depp was sober, was doing well in movies, and while he was separated from Vanessa, they still had a fairly good relationship until he was dating Heard and then that changed drastically. A lot of his friends were pointing out at that time that Heard was isolating him and taking advantage of his connections. So calling it codependent is not correct and calling it Co-abusive is really not correct at all.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Amber Heard's Lawyer Grills Johnny Depp About Violent and Macabre Text Messages Referencing 'Drowning,' Necrophilia and His 'Monster'

Depp's exchange with actor Paul Bettany takes the legendary trial by ordeal for accused witches that is seemingly modeled after a famous skit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but has a much more violent and raw edge.

"Lets burn Amber!!!" Depp writes.

Bettany, a Brit, opines that the more "English course of action" would be the drowning test.

"Let's drown her before we burn her!!!" Depp response. "I will fuck her burnt corpse afterwards to make sure she is dead…"
But Depp conceded during cross-examination that he did not only describe himself as a "monster" in Heard's presence.

In one message to Elton John, Depp thanked him for help getting sober by writing: "I would have been swallowed up by the monster were it not for you."
Depp previously testified that the tales of his alcohol and drug-fueled rages were "grossly embellished" by Heard to use against him, a portrait sharply contrasting his text exchanges with musician Marilyn Manson in 2012, referring to "pill and plant stuff." The jury was shown a photograph of what Heard's attorney described as four giant bags of marijuana taken in Depp's recording studio.

"Yes, sir, that is a lot of marijuana," Depp acknowledged.

Asked about drinking whiskey in the morning, Depp cracked: "Isn't happy hour any time?"
"You testified that your dad wasn't abusive, but that you saw him punch walls when he was in an argument with your mother sometimes right?" Rottenborn asked.

"Excuse me," Depp replied. "I witnessed my father—the only reaction that would be called a physical reaction from the abuse he was very stoically taking from my mother. I saw him maybe twice, three times, punch a wall. Once, as I said, once he punched the corner of the wall, and I watched his hand and basically shatter."

"Mr. Depp, your walls weren't the only thing that your father punched," Rottenborn said. "Once, he punched you in the face and knocked you down, didn't he?"

"Yes, when I was 15 years old," Depp said. "This was this was just before I'd dropped out of high school. One morning, yes. In my mind, I was done with school. So he had asked me to […] take the dog for a walk or something. Or take out the garbage, something menial, something strange. And I just said no. And he and he gave me a he just gave me a quick shot, pretty hefty. And yeah. It rattled my head, rattling the cages."

lawandcrime.com

Amber Heard's Lawyer Grills Johnny Depp About Violent and Macabre Text Messages Referencing 'Drowning,' Necrophilia and His 'Monster'

Moments after philosophizing about modeling himself after the ideals of a chivalrous Southern gentleman, Kentucky-born actor Johnny Depp read through a series of text messages depicting him as anything but one.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
The last few days I went down the rabbit hole of this trial and was watching via Legal Bytes, which is a very Johnny Depp friendly stream. I want to preface this saying that I do think Johnny Depp was a victim of abuse, but there is a clear dissonance between what people are saying here on this thread and social media versus the impression I got from the media covering this case. Court TV for example has a very different understanding of how the cross examination went today and they even had Deadline's Dominic Patten claiming Depp career ended after today's trial.

After today's cross examination, I think it's hard for Deep to prove that this wasn't a messy relationship and likely abusive from both sides, and I'm not sure if he will be able to convince the jury otherwise. As it looks, I wouldn't say this was a good day for Depp.

clmartin

Banned
Apr 1, 2022
May I inquire once again, what, outside of the text was extremely disturbing about him? That he needed treatment for drugs and drink? He admitted that a lot of issues stem from a mother who abused both him and his siblings (to the point that she made him legally blind in one eye)? That he comes off as a bit odd in personality? A lot of actors to this day come off as such. That he once tattooed his girlfriend's name on his arm? Okay again not so unusual.

If it's about the texts then I once again I have to point to Jay North, the child actor of Dennis the Menace, who was abused while he was acting by his aunt and uncle. In his own words, he would draw pictures of burning, hanging, gutting and other upsetting things to his abusive Aunt and Uncle and a lot of the production staff of the show who knew what was happening and wouldn't help him.

If anything Depp's text remind me of this because it's how abuse victims sometimes vent their feelings because they are too scared or unable to express this to the person abusing them. They become so upset that they waver between suicidal and wanting to hurt themselves or the abuser.

It wasn't. Prior to going with Heard Depp was sober, was doing well in movies, and while he was separated from Vanessa, they still had a fairly good relationship until he was dating Heard and then that changed drastically. A lot of his friends were pointing out at that time that Heard was isolating him and taking advantage of his connections. So calling it codependent is not correct and calling it Co-abusive is really not correct at all.

It's extraordinarily disengenuous to draw parallels between the heinous things Depp said and the actions of a child suffering abuse at the hands of adult family members in order to make the point that their motivations were the same.

That's a ridiculous argument.

Jun 17, 2019
It's extraordinarily disengenuous to draw parallels between the heinous things Depp said and the actions of a child suffering abuse at the hands of adult family members in order to make the point that their motivations were the same.

Not trying to say they were the same, but the same idea is happening here. Jay's reaction was to draw those pictures, Depp lashed out in text. My point is that both were suffering, and both reacted in a way that makes sense within the context of feeling the need to express feelings of anger, or pain. Jay did so with drawings and Depp did so in text. That was all I'm trying to point out. Not saying it's cool, but that it's a similar thing. It's one of the few examples of someone talking about creating very dark fantasies that has been talked about in public, because most victims don't talk about what they say about their abusers in private because people would look at them weirdly for thinking or talking about what they would like to do to someone hurting them.

I don't know many adult victims that talk about their reactions or what they say in private about their abusers. Because it's private stuff.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I once worked with a woman who got my number and started sending me sexually explicit texts, she told other employees that we had a relationship. I still heard about years later, and it was a fucking joke to everyone. They even played a prank on me, making me think they hired her back.

She would show people pictures of my wife and kid she had on her phone. But yeah, big joke.

Woman-on-man harassment and abuse has always been a joke.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018

Sure buddy. Even though we've had posters in this thread who've actually worked with all kinds of abuse victims say this is common, it's disingenuous.

What's wrong with you people ffs

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Not saying it's cool, but that it's a similar thing. It's one of the few examples of someone talking about creating very dark fantasies that has been talked about in public, because most victims don't talk about what they say about their abusers in private because people would look at them weirdly for thinking or talking about what they would like to do to someone hurting them.

I don't know many adult victims that talk about their reactions or what they say in private about their abusers. Because it's private stuff.

100%, I would know, because I've gone through the same.
I don't see many people giving their own personal opinions here as a male victim and I know why, we're not really raised to talk about this shit.

But yeah I thought some dark things, but it was a way to deal with it.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not watched the trial...but did they really use "Hearsay" so many times?!

He seems done with them at times.

Another from today:

I feel bad for laughing at these because the case is so fucked up and a whole lot more important than appears at the surface level, but I'm just absolutely dying watching these.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
As a kid my mother would hit my father in front of all of us. She had serious anger issues. Cracked his head open one time with something in a parking lot. he went to emergency and it wasn't super serious but he did have to get staples on his head and then he had me help pull them out a few days later. My dad never layed a finger on her even once in retaliation. He always just took it. Wouldn't even run or anything.

So obviously I'm biased but I'm sympathetic towards Depp and think Heard needs to get some serious psychological help. It's a shit show all around though. I feel especially bad for his kids. They're probably older now but some things just sort of sick with you for a long time. I hope they're doing okay.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017

I've long felt that this felt like a codependent/coabusive relationship since the first Heard stuff came out, but Heard is coming off as much more the aggressor here at this point in what I have read.
Hopefully both of them get whatever help they need - because in very different ways they feel like people that could use a lot of time out of the public spotlight - and I still hope that WB removes Heard from Aquaman.
This man had endured physical abuse he probably got drunk or high and vented. Yeah its disturbing what he said but of course thats going to happen when you have been constantly abused in an "inescapable" relationship. People saying this shit haven't dealt with people who have been subject to abuse from their partners so I don't expect you to understand.

Your second point she is the aggressor period much of Heards initial points have now been disproven via tapes. Depp is this is why they have had nothing but Depp being an alcoholic and into drugs during this trial.
The last few days I went down the rabbit hole of this trial and was watching via Legal Bytes, which is a very Johnny Depp friendly stream. I want to preface this saying that I do think Johnny Depp was a victim of abuse, but there is a clear dissonance between what people are saying here on this thread and social media versus the impression I got from the media covering this case. Court TV for example has a very different understanding of how the cross examination went today and they even had Deadline's Dominic Patten claiming Depp career ended after today's trial.

After today's cross examination, I think it's hard for Deep to prove that this wasn't a messy relationship and likely abusive from both sides, and I'm not sure if he will be able to convince the jury otherwise. As it looks, I wouldn't say this was a good day for Depp.

Yes the same media that immediately portrayed Depp as the aggressor despite their being lots of evidence to the contrary. This isn't a both sides thing again all evidence points to Heard being a Monster and all recordings have Depp trying to escape away from arguments and abuse. Additonally it has been proven that Heard used makeup to pretend she had been beaten by Depp... how the fuck can people still think this is BOTH SIDES.

I don't like this. I don't think it's fair, because I do think it was an incredibly messy relationship where at very least both parties abused each other, but today was rough. I do hope that Depp can have his Hollywood comeback tho.
Still waiting to hear what Depp has done

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sure buddy. Even though we've had posters in this thread who've actually worked with all kinds of abuse victims say this is common, it's disingenuous.

Hmmm, you just made me remember that when I was being bullied by a Nun in Grade school my therapist had recommend a dart board with her picture.

clmartin

Banned
Apr 1, 2022

Yeah pal, because it's not like there's a process going on right now where Depp could make this exact argument as a mitigating factor for the horrible things he said right?

What's wrong with you people making these armchair diagnoses from afar?

He said some awful things. You don't need to psychoanalyze him in an attempt to justify them.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah pal, because it's not like there's a process going on right now where Depp could make this exact argument as a mitigating factor for the horrible things he said right?

What's wrong with you people making these armchair diagnoses from afar?

He said some awful things. You don't need to psychoanalyze him in an attempt to justify them.
We literally had someone who worked with victims of abuse come out and talk about this a few pages back. I personally had a friend go through spousal abuse was the nicest guy you could ever meet he said some awful stuff when he was being abused because HE HAD NO WHERE ELSE TO VENT BECAUSE NO ONE TAKES THIS SHIT SERIOUSLY.

Status
Not open for further replies.