• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Trying to ruin his credibility because of past addiction isn't gonna work. There's multiple pictures of the cut off finger, doctor corroboration, audio tapes of Amber lashing out and saying nobody would believe Depp if he accused her of the things she just did. Like come on.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Character assassination tactics, people are less likely to be sympathetic to a drug user

I'm not a legal expert so I don't know for sure, but it appears to me that he wants to draw attention to Depp's drug/drinking problems as a way to discredit his previous testimony. If they can convince the jury that he lied or that he was not always sober or under the influence of drugs on a frequent basis, they're hoping that will help their case.

They're not going after Depp's arguments directly because they're hard to refute so instead they are attacking his character.

Again, I'm not a legal expert and I have no clue what I'm talking about, that's just my uneducated guess.
But that just baffles me. So yes he used drugs, so surely everything he is saying is probably a lie. Because they are indeed going for the emotional angle here. Or am I missing something here?

I haven't heard one question yet about the actual abuse. This attorney just seems to be dodging everything Amber or Johnny did. How can you convince a jury that Johnny is here in the wrong and a 'wife beater' if you don't actually ever talk about the abuse itself. I am probably missing something here, but it seems I am more annoyed with the questions of this attorney as Depp himself.

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently texts are being read right now in court about Depp saying pretty harsh things during there relationship not gonna post them but it's on TMZ

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Between the repeat offenders looking for a fight and the Brianna Wu tweets I think if this story has proven anything outside of "men can be abused too" it's that people get too online and need to take a walk outside without their phones and take a breath. Too online and too unwilling to just hold the L without trying to add a million asterisks to it.

I say all this as someone who totally bought into Heard's original story completely for years.
Sometimes people need to learn how to take an L. It's why you see so many double downs.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But that just baffles me. So yes he used drugs, so surely everything he is saying is probably a lie. Because they are indeed going for the emotional angle here. Or am I missing something here?

I haven't heard one question yet about the actual abuse. This attorney just seems to be dodging everything Amber or Johnny did. How can you convince a jury that Johnny is here in the wrong and a 'wife beater' if you don't actually ever talk about the abuse itself. I am probably missing something here, but it seems I am more annoyed with the questions of this attorney as Depp himself.

Like I said before, his arguments are hard to refute and he brought up relevant witnesses and evidence that support his case. Since trying to contest those arguments would be an uphill battle, they're attacking his character instead to try to discredit or make him seem less favorable towards the jury.

I think it's clear that Depp's intent here is to clear his name more than it is winning the case, there was a point in the previous days where his lawyer asked him how many movies he had been on since the allegations came forward and he said he didn't know which works against his argument that Heard's article impacted his career. I think he's just trying to clear his name and Heard's team is more interested in discrediting and attacking his character than trying to refute more or less solid evidence.

Oct 30, 2017
Apparently texts are being read right now in court about Depp saying pretty harsh things during there relationship not gonna post them but it's on TMZ
Yeah a bunch of this had been released previously in which he communicated a lot of awful "fantasies" about what he would do to Heard. I don't have much of an opinion other than I think we can all agree that it was abhorrent for Depp to do, but--as is the whole point of the case--doesn't invalidate Depp's argument that Heard not only abused him physically and mentally but he has evidence proving that and that he did not engage in the level of abuse claimed by Heard.

The defense is using his texts as a means to appeal to the jury and cast him as the worse person. This case is just so shitty in general.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017

After hearing Depp talk about the ways Heard physically and emotionally hurt him, this whole character assassination spiel leaves me completely unimpressed.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

It's the other way around. Heard's lawyers don't need to convince the jury that Depp was an abuser. It's innocent until proven guilty, so the default assumption in the Court is that AH was telling the truth in her op-ed, unless Depp's team can prove otherwise. This is why Heard's lawyers are focusing in on his past behaviour. They're trying to establish that it was his own actions that caused his career to tank, not Heard's article.

That's sort of the frustrating thing about this trial. The finger, the tapes, etc. they only go so far in the context of a defamation claim. Depp doesn't win the case if he can establish that he was abused, he has to go further and prove that she intentionally lied in her published article, which is difficult to do in a legal setting.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are both pieces of shit.

Can't believe there's people here taking a side lol.

Sure, Johnny isn't the best guy in the world but when it comes to the abuse allegations if you've read anything on the case Johnny is clearly the victim here. There is a difference between thinking Johnny is a great guy and that he is the victim of domestic abuse. If you can't separate the two I don't know what to tell you.

Oct 27, 2017
These were known to some degree.
Are these the texts with Bettany you're referring to?
There's others. They're not a great look but also don't constitute an abuser. I think people online have a hard time with the reality that sometimes people, especially when they're in toxic and abusive relationship cycles, spout all kinds of hyperbolic shit as a way to vent and try to ground themselves in the situation. They were sent to people largely in confidence it seems. If he was actually threatening the same shit to her in reality as the texts then yeah, that's awful abuse. But we don't seem to have any verification that those texts reflected how he acted in reality in the relationship, so really it's just a way to detract from the situation and try to slap of "both sides are bad" take with the case. Someone in abusive relationship is bound to be reactionary on some level, even if it's to external parties outside of the relationship and not to the actual perpetrator.

But we have on the record information that she actually did instigate verbal, emotional, mental, and physical abuse.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
They're not a great look but also don't constitute an abuser. I think people online have a hard time with the reality that sometimes people, especially when they're in toxic and abusive relationship cycles, spout all kinds of hyperbolic shit as a way to vent and try to ground themselves in the situation.

Oh I know, I helped my best friend through a very horrid divorce a decade ago and still remember some of the intentionally hyperbolic things said as a means to "cope" or let off steam.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
They are both pieces of shit.

Can't believe there's people here taking a side lol.
Sick victim blaming mate hope it works out well for you in life. As for the texts after what shes done what do you expect the dude had no out he has to vent some how its not like he was going to actually burn her like a witch.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
User Banned (1 Month): Victim Blaming / Whataboutism, over multiple posts.
Sure, Johnny isn't the best guy in the world but when it comes to the abuse allegations if you've read anything on the case Johnny is clearly the victim here. There is a difference between thinking Johnny is a great guy and that he is the victim of domestic abuse. If you can't separate the two I don't know what to tell you.

Abuse can also be done verbally and Johnny Depp has clearly done that.

Also looking at some of his texts makes me wonder how anyone can defend him, even if he's the victim in this case. He seems like a garbage human being himself. The comments he made about Amber are socipoathic.

Sick victim blaming mate hope it works out well for you in life.

He can be a victim and a piece of shit, but yes i'm "victim blaming".

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017

Also looking at some of his texts makes me wonder how anyone can defend him, even if he's the victim in this case. He seems like a garbage human being himself.

Ok so what makes him a piece of shit? Oh the verbal abuse? You mean how in the tapes he has proven that he has tried to de-escalate the situations multiple times before during and after she was physically abusing him? I mean yeah if I was getting my finger chopped off, hit across the face multiple times or someone shit in my bed Im going fucking hurl some abuse who wouldn't?

Again with the texts when you are in an abusive relationship that you cant escape you need an outlet this is something you probably wont understand if you havent had an abusive relationship or someone close to you that is stuck in one. But sure "hes a piece of shit" despite people he's worked with and multiple previous exes stating otherwise. You need to get real dude... you've come in having no fucking idea what you are talking about dropped a shitpost its gross.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
She chopped the end of his finger off and stubbed a cigarette out on his face but...

*Checks notes*

He said some gross hyperbolic things in stupid texts with Paul Bettany so yeah, fuck him "even if he's the victim in this case".

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
She chopped the end of his finger off and stubbed a cigarette out on his face but...

*Checks notes*

He said some gross hyperbolic things in stupid texts with Paul Bettany so yeah, fuck him "even if he's the victim in this case".
you simply don't understand "they are both pieces of shit"...

Idde

Oct 27, 2017

Also looking at some of his texts makes me wonder how anyone can defend him, even if he's the victim in this case. He seems like a garbage human being himself. The comments he made about Amber are socipoathic.

Soooo, how would you equate those texts with having a wodka bottle thrown at your head, and seconds later another one slicing off the top off your finger?

Or with always being the one to remove yourself from fights, while Heard is constantly the one starting them, and has herself stated on multiple occasions to hit him. Kick him. Throw pots and pans at him. Or who slammed a door into his face.

How do those texts hold up to Heard using make up to paint on bruises, posting the pictures online before she gets a restraining order and blames Depp for them? Aligning herself with the me too movement, and speaking up on behalf of domestic abuse, when guess what, it seems veeeery likely Depp never even hit her.

I have no issue defending Depp in this, knowing how insane the constant gaslighting, emotional belittling and constant threat of physical violence can make you. That the worst known (proven!) thing he did was write awful texts...does not make him a garbage human being in my eyes.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can people not spout purity test shit? Not really the place for it imo

This is a pretty cut and dry domestic abuse case at this point

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yes you are victim blaming. I'm glad you could to admit to it. Hopefully the mods action it

Last edited:

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland

*Checks notes*

Y'all have cancelled people for much less on here, but yes now they're just "stupid texts". I think it's absolutely terrible what Amber has done to him, but it does not change my opinion of him. I don't think anyone in the right mind would say "let's drown her before we burn her I will fuck her burnt corpse afterwards to make sure she's dead", but whatever. I think he needs help and so does Amber. Anyway i'm outta here, there's clearly only one allowed opinion on here.

Oct 27, 2017

You're victim blaming. Mods!

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all have cancelled people for much less on here, but yes now they're just "stupid texts". I think it's absolutely terrible what Amber has done to him, but it does not change my opinion of him. I don't think anyone in the right mind would say "let's drown her before we burn her I will fuck her burnt corpse afterwards to make sure she's dead", but whatever. I think he needs help and so does Amber. Anyway i'm outta here, there's clearly only one allowed opinion on here.
Bye

Oct 30, 2017
See, but you didn't reference anything in your drive-by shitpost. You were determined to label both people as equal pieces of shit without any notion of the context.

Clearly you didn't inform yourself of anything and you are only now responding in a different way with a mixture of some weakass doubling down because numerous posters have had to educate your ass about the actual fucking nuance in this case. Miss me with this shit. Just take the L and move on.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I skipped a bit of the hearings because I had to make dinner but has Amber's lawyer done anything than try to prove that that he did drugs/alcohol?

I'm watching the trial through LegalBytes' Stream and they seem bored out of their minds.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I skipped a bit of the hearings because I had to make dinner but has Amber's lawyer done anything than try to prove that that he did drugs/alcohol?

I'm watching the trial through LegalBytes' Stream and they seem bored out of their minds.
No. It's pretty much what they are still doing along with texts that are clearly venting.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"Do you remember where your hands were at X certain time on X certain day years ago?"

this lawyer is reaching deep far into his ass for nothing....

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Having worked for a non profit that supports survivors of domestic violence, I can 100% attest that survivors normally do not have nice things to say about their abusers once they see through how the abuser was manipulating them.

Yes the texts were out of line, but it's hard to keep things civil after what you have endured, which is also why survivors also sometimes fight back when they realize their situation.

Survivors who retaliated used to get a lot more hatred from society because "why didn't just leave?" "Why didn't they tell someone?" "Why did they get with such an abusive partner?" When a lot of the times these survivors were between a rock and a hard place and had no safe way of escape, so they coped or did what they had to survive.

Survivors who retaliate already have a stigma against them, but it gets harder when you are a man, which is part of how Heard has been able to use this situation to her advantage.

Last edited:

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Sorry if getting called out on your bs upsets you. Clearly it's just us being an echo-chamber though.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Probably tangential, but I think this is a natural consequence of how internet discourse seems to work right now — the leveling of harm is necessary for those who weren't taken seriously before now, but it also puts people in a position where they're not able to be temporarily wrong. Taking the L is fraught with consequences, earned and unearned.
I think we've all been guilty of it in the past. I know I have. I've just gotten to the point where I've realized the consequences of owning up to knowing I'm wrong are pretty negligible if there are any at all. Losing the feeling of embarrassment that comes with being wrong goes a long way.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I don't want to trivialise any of this down to the base level of entertainment, of course I don't, but seeing how invested Jason Blum from Blumhouse Productions is in this on twitter, I'm wondering if he's legit thinking of Pam & Tommy'ing this at some point in the future.

Hell, I wonder if Hollywood in general is watching and waiting.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
I don't want to trivialise any of this down to the base level of entertainment, of course I don't, but seeing how invested Jason Blum from Blumhouse Productions is in this on twitter, I'm wondering if he's legit thinking of Pam & Tommy'ing this at some point in the future.

Hell, I wonder if Hollywood in general is watching and waiting.
Wouldn't surprise me with out they are making films/tv out of any event.

Can't wait for the mini series on the Varsity Blues college admissions scandal. 🤣

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I don't think it's unusual or out of line for someone who's getting physically and mentally abused to think awful thoughts about their abuser.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017

He is a piece of shit for venting out to a third party in a text message ?
Not too sure if you have genuinely been mislead by your lack of knowledge or if you are seriously victim blaming here. If that's the latter case, well clearly it's not Depp who's a piece of shit here.

There is evidence, concrete proof, recordings of the abuse Heard did. The only thing they have against Depp so far are these texts, that don't paint a great picture of the man but don't constitute an offense or a crime and certainly not an abuse towards Heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.