• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I had not heard of them and saw lots of diversity on the website so I didn't second guess it but for some reason I decided to dig beyond the surface, and while it's a feminist, diverse group... it's 100% handled by terfs. I'll edit my post to remove that link.

So instead maybe there's that succint twitter thread :

Isn't this against the thread rules? Might want to check and edit quick if it is.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this against the thread rules? Might want to check and edit quick if it is.

I think the rules are against posting random twitter hot takes from X E-celeb etc...
This strictly recounts the actual sequence of events in the trial, with little added to it, but I guess I'll edit just in case.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that the viciousness around Amber Heard was way worse than someone like, say, Harvey Weinstein got, a man that committed much worse crimes than her. His conviction didn't trend on Twitter nor get tens of millions of views on YouTube.

And I do think sexism had a role in that. I guess the evil, conniving woman makes for a better villian than a powerful Hollywood man.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I will say that the viciousness around Amber Heard was way worse than someone like, say, Harvey Weinstein got, a man that committed much worse crimes than her. His conviction didn't trend on Twitter nor get tens of millions of views on YouTube.

And I do think sexism had a role in that. I guess the evil, conniving woman makes for a better villian than a powerful Hollywood man.

Harvey Weinstein was big in Hollywood but he wasn't a household name. Of course there's sexism involved but the two situations aren't comparable.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017

I do think there's a huge misogyny component and don't think anyone should dismiss that.

That said, too many people are using that to try to invalidate the results of the trial itself, which I do have a serious problem with.

I also don't have a problem with the trial getting millions of views or trending on Twitter, because I do think it's important for 2 reasons. 1, because it needs to clear the damage done to JDs reputation. 2, because I think we need to do a better job as a society of showing that men can also be victims of domestic violence.

Tamahagene

Banned
May 4, 2022
User Banned (1 Month): Downplaying Misogyny; Account in Junior Phase

Did Harvey Weinstein orchestrate false claims of abuse against one of the biggest actors of all time and on the largest stage possible, propelling himself to the UN and heading marches/speeches on the backs of a social movement he co-opted/followed by a defamatory op-ed, all the while backed by organizations like the ACLU while the sustained grassroots efforts of fans for six entire years spawned the apparatus across social media and compilation of evidence necessary for such a campaign to reach the heights it has as the first major case of the current social media era and post-Rittenhouse era boom of lawtube in place to follow it?
People act as though this just came out of nowhere and this whole ordeal hasn't been massive news/massively followed but concealed and downplayed by the media and a lot of communities, until the damn finally broke as I knew it would and the coverage was inescapable.
This trial was in the same vein of Casey Anthony or OJ in terms of public interest and accessibility on top of impact of celebrity culture and clear injustice fueling the fervor, boiling the difference down to just "misogyny" is entirely reductive and ignores all the special circumstances of the case; this being the first highly publicized and tried case against a female abuser and involving a male victim for one.

Last edited:

Prax

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's misogyny but ALSO people are pretty nasty when people who claim to be victims in the first place get convincngly proven they were not and were in fact the abusers and duped people into having sympathy.

That kind of backlash comes hard due to ye olde switcheroo antics.

Compared to Weinstein who was accused to be an abusive asshole and was convincingly proven to be. Expectations met.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

There is some sexism involved but this overall comment downplays what Heard did.

She physically abused Johnny Depp.
She cut off his finger.
She then abused Johnny Depp some more by hitting his reputation with the Op-Ed and the general shenanigans with the TRO (reminder for those hating the public spectacle, Amber Heard alerted tmz [a gossip site] and even said which side of her face to capture for the "bruise")

There's also the fact that everything with regard to Weinstein played out exactly like everyone thought.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
People act as though this just came out of nowhere and this whole ordeal hasn't been massive news/massively followed but concealed and downplayed by the media and a lot of communities, until the damn finally broke as I knew it would and the coverage was inescapable.
Are you saying this exact same situation didn't happen with Weinstein? Of all people?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Compared to Weinstein who was accused to be an abusive asshole and was convincingly proven to be. Expectations met.
"Abusive asshole" is a pretty generous description considering he raped multiple women.

There is some sexism involved but this overall comment downplays what Heard did.
I'm not downplaying anything. I'm pointing out that someone like him didn't get the backlash from society that he deserved.

Tamahagene

Banned
May 4, 2022
Are you saying this exact same situation didn't happen with Weinstein? Of all people?
Not in the same manner in an equivalent era for being blasted in the same way; Weinstein was as big as anything would have been when his abuse broke and justice came.
Plus as I said and detailed, this is a case of special circumstances in so many ways.
Do you really not see the differences in how this case broke and developed?
People in this thread literally downplaying rape, classic.
Rape is bad; not sure where I downplayed it or Weinstein's actions.
I think Amber's actions as we know them on top of all the tapes of her gaslighting, admitting to physical abuse, trying to force drugs down Johnny's throat or pressure him unto sex and physical touch along with ligament mutilation is bad enough not to be downplayed when put next to any other bad person's individual abusive acts.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
How many people were/are defending Harvey Weinstein?

If people stop defending Amber and let her fade away, the backlash (and this thread) will disappear with her.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not downplaying anything. I'm pointing out that someone like him didn't get the backlash from society that he deserved.
i mean comparing against someone else in some kind of abuse Olympics has the tack on effect as saying "yea, it was bad but you know could have been worse" which whether youre intentionally doing it or not comes across as downplaying. Again as a reminder the first person to contact tmz and the first person to talk on social media was Amber Heard herself when she alerted TMZ about the TRO and when she retweeted the Washington post article with the sexual violence headline. Amber Heard was fine with Social media being used to harass Johnny Depp but now she's not happy.

Last edited:

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
How many people were/are defending Harvey Weinstein?

If people stop defending Amber and let her fade away, the backlash (and this thread) will disappear with her.

There was absolutely a Harvey Weinstein defense force. What world have you been in? Rallying cries of how the women were liars, how innocent until proven guilty, how even if it did happen they considered it consent. That shit was all over.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Not in the same manner in an equivalent era for being blasted in the same way; Weinstein was as big as anything would have been when his abuse broke and justice came.
Plus as I said and detailed, this is a case of special circumstances in so many ways.
Do you really not see the differences in how this case broke and developed?
Weinstein has accusations of rape going back to the late eighties and hired a private spy agency to quash the publication of the allegations against him. This involved developing psychological profiles of journalists and actresses including their sexual histories and sending spies to follow and meet with them.

I get the Depp/Heard case has been everywhere for weeks now, but I really think you should stop trying to make Heard out to be more conniving or manipulative than Harvey Weinstein. Of all people.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Inflammatory accusations.
i mean comparing against someone else in some kind of abuse Olympics has the tack on effect as saying "yea, it was bad but you know could have been worse" which whether youre intentionally doing it or not comes across as downplaying. Again as a reminder the first person to contact tmz and the first person to talk on social media was Amber Heard herself when she alerted TMZ about the TRO and when she retweeted the Washington post article with the sexual violence headline. Amber Heard was fine with Social media being used to harass Johnny Depp but now she's not happy.
I said my piece. If you want to interpret it that way, that's your perogative.

I am sorry my language was not vindictive or acidic enough for you lol.
Look if you don't care or know he raped women, you could have just said so from the beginning.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory accusations towards other members
There was absolutely a Harvey Weinstein defense force. What world have you been in? Rallying cries of how the women were liars, how innocent until proven guilty, how even if it did happen they considered it consent. That shit was all over.
What was his defense force? Few right wing nut bags? How organized were they? If you were encountering Harvey Weinstein defense then you certainly hanging out in those corridors of the internet. Amber Heard defense which is everywhere in the mainstream and you can't really avoid. These two things are not remotely same.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Most people believed Weinstein was guilty. He went to court and was found guilty. He sits in prison. There were no twists or turns. He didn't successfully pass blame onto someone else while using a social movement to boost his profile. He didn't successfully say he spoke for victims, while victimizing someone else. He also didn't get almost the entirety of the mass media defending him even after his conviction.

Yeah, raping untold numbers of women over a career of being a sleezy producer is objectively worse than what Amber Heard did. I think it will be hard to find anyone who thinks otherwise. The sheer magnitude of the transgression is rarely the reason why a trial gets attention or why the internet turns on someone specifically, however.

No doubt a portion of the hate Heard gets is brought about by misogyny, anything on the internet (or elsewhere) is going to have an aspect of that. It isn't the reason why people were attracted to this case and ultimately found Amber Heard so despicable.

Coming into a topic about how someone was found guilty and trying to quantify the internet's response to it in relation to other trials outcomes, seems like a frivolous pursuit and does stink of minimizing. Not everything needs to be weighed against each other. Sometimes we can look at one thing and say, "That's bad."

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Hey Y'all,

This isn't a Harvey Weinstein thread. A bit of discussion for relevance is allowed, but let's keep the thread on track.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I think everyone here understands that the vile opportunists and quiet bigots will use this case and any similar "edge cases" (although women abusing men is NOT as rare as people think--what do you think abusive mothers instill if they happen to have sons??) to further dunk on good social movements or women as a whole, or even get away with using the misogynistic language they have had to bite their tongues about the test of the time.

Yes it is concerning, but we each have to decide if the optics or backlash or what have you can be mitigated or endured for the sake of justice being served or a victim to be saved from an abusive cycle regardless.

I am on the side of having justice served and ignoring opportunists trying to make themselves relevant.

Last edited:

A.M.R

May 17, 2020
I think misogyny is present in both camps.

I'd say, denying the women survivors of DV who identified their own experiences aligning with JD suffering is also oppressive.
Calling them brainwashed, as if these women can't empathize with other victims regardless of their gender.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

It's moreso because she "got away" with it.

Cosby, harvey, they went to jail. And public opinion was overwhelmingly against them.

Did you see anybody go defend Kevin Spacey ? No ...

When she first told her story people instantly cancelled Depp and hated his guts.

People hate her more than the others because she lied to them, she used their anger for her own gains. And made someone they enjoyed seem as a monster to prop herself and her career. While making a mockery of actual victims. This feels very personal.

Of course there will be misoginy in the mix. You can't avoid shitbags, especially in such high profile stuff. But this is not why she is so hated and I'm sure you've seen there is a huge amount of women and feminists that hate her guts.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Johnny Depp's attorney Ben Chew will be interviewed by Court TV's Chanley Shá Painter, it will air Wednesday 8pm:

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
While I am sure there is misogyny in play - there always will be in any DV case that involves a woman - I think it's important to consider that:

1) Amber Heard misled people into trusting her, largely based on her being female (just going off her own recording that she said to Johnny). People get more upset when they trust someone and find out they lied to them.

2) The social bias that domestic abuse/violence is primarily, if not unequivocally, caused by men (because said society refuses to take male victims seriously, another downside to the patriarchy/toxic masculinity that permeates our society), kind of broke down here. The people who actually paid attention got to see some of those biases blown apart right before their very eyes. There are some (even on this forum) who had their world view shaken. This is a big deal to people. It causes a lot of emotions. Not that the two are equivocal in any way, but it'd be similar to someone who suffers from systematic racism realizing they're being systemically racist and not realizing it until just now. It shakes up everything you thought and said before.

It's also this bias that tends to make people not as toxic towards male abusers, because they just kind of expect it. Very few people are surprised about a male abuser, that's an every day thing. A female abuser (even though, in actuality, it is also an every day thing, just underreported to the police/news because of how society treats men) is rare, so it catches people off guard.

So, sure, I agree some people are being misogynystic about it. Especially people more in the central/right leaning political sphere, who largely were only rooting for Depp because he's a man and not for any facts about the case.

But I also think a lot of people are just upset about being lied to or upset that their world view has been challenged.

Oct 27, 2017
While I am sure there is misogyny in play - there always will be in any DV case that involves a woman - I think it's important to consider that:

1) Amber Heard misled people into trusting her, largely based on her being female (just going off her own recording that she said to Johnny). People get more upset when they trust someone and find out they lied to them.

2) The social bias that domestic abuse/violence is primarily, if not unequivocally, caused by men (because said society refuses to take male victims seriously, another downside to the patriarchy/toxic masculinity that permeates our society), kind of broke down here. The people who actually paid attention got to see some of those biases blown apart right before their very eyes. There are some (even on this forum) who had their world view shaken. This is a big deal to people. It causes a lot of emotions. Not that the two are equivocal in any way, but it'd be similar to someone who suffers from systematic racism realizing they're being systemically racist and not realizing it until just now. It shakes up everything you thought and said before.

It's also this bias that tends to make people not as toxic towards male abusers, because they just kind of expect it. Very few people are surprised about a male abuser, that's an every day thing. A female abuser (even though, in actuality, it is also an every day thing, just underreported to the police/news because of how society treats men) is rare, so it catches people off guard.

So, sure, I agree some people are being misogynystic about it. Especially people more in the central/right leaning political sphere, who largely were only rooting for Depp because he's a man and not for any facts about the case.

But I also think a lot of people are just upset about being lied to or upset that their world view has been challenged.

I think all the discussion and fervor over this is actually a good thing. Think about how much public awareness and acknowledgment of police brutality against minorities increased as consumer camera tech became cheaper and smaller.

I mean, yeah there are several misogynists that are trying to use this as ammo or toxic feminists who feel this is a threat to their identity or something but those are just assholes who can barely whip together a 280-character piece of agitprop to rile up their followers. They never gave any actual support to victims, male or female.

Normal people ultimately need to feel like something is safe to believe before updating their opinions. That everyone is aware of the issue, that the evidence is widely available, and that the logic behind believing it is simple and convenient enough to not upset the rest of their beliefs. Unless you're talking about someone who somehow staked their professional reputation on "gender wars", this is an easy thing to incorporate into the average person's toolset of beliefs.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
One after another, the leftist YouTubers I subscribe to have taken Heard's side in this case, and express their dismay at the outcome and its ramifications. Most of these weren't a huge loss, and of course I can do without all of them.
But one show that I enjoy immensely is Some More News, and now Cody and Katy have come out as being wholly on the side of Heard in this case. I don't really think I can trust their intellectual rigour when it comes to their video subjects when they so obviously put it aside in a case like this.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
One after another, the leftist YouTubers I subscribe to have taken Heard's side in this case, and express their dismay at the outcome and its ramifications. Most of these weren't a huge loss, and of course I can do without all of them.
But one show that I enjoy immensely is Some More News, and now Cody and Katy have come out as being wholly on the side of Heard in this case. I don't really think I can trust their intellectual rigour when it comes to their video subjects when they so obviously put it aside in a case like this.
That is the fucked up part, the moment you doubt some of their content, you end up questioning if all the content has the same problem.
This case shows that the only protection against this is to have access to the source, not the opinions. And unfortunately, it takes a lot of work and hours of free time that we often don't have.

www.resetera.com

Metoo.org could use your help

In my understanding, they are not getting the recognition they deserve at the moment so I'm here to share with you a little bit about their work. I understand that there is great fear about the death of the Metoo movement. I ask you to take a look at the statement made by the creator of the...
And about the ramifications of the trial, are these people you mentioned from the US? I think it is valid to show this every time someone says they are worried about what will happen to the victims from now on. Show that the movement is still alive and that you can help directly if you want.

Johnny Depp's attorney Ben Chew will be interviewed by Court TV's Chanley Shá Painter, it will air Wednesday 8pm:

Damn
at 01:25:00 they start talking about Camille Vasquez and one of them is pretty salty about her lol
edit: actually both men are salty about Camille

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
We're not allowed to bring up Grubb's problematic stance in the GB hire thread lol

Fucking pathetic. Anyway, great for Camille. She certainly earned it.

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
That is the fucked up part, the moment you doubt some of their content, you end up questioning if all the content has the same problem.
It's why I have strongly moved away from a lot of far left wing youtube channels, clearly there is a gap in intellectual honesty with them so I'm choosing not to engage. Maybe it'll change in the future but not today.

We're not allowed to bring up Grubb's problematic stance in the GB hire thread lol

Fucking pathetic. Anyway, great for Camille. She certainly earned it.
Wait, what? We can't bring up that their new hire is problematic?

edit: nevermind, saw the post above... guess not.

Oct 26, 2017
I can't tell you all how many conversations I've had with people this last week who think the result was "disgusting" "gross" etc, where I then slowly breakdown the case, and at MOST I convince them, "well, both are pieces of shit then." It's like no matter how much I show and explain, I can only ever convince that Amber lied about things, yet somehow Depp also remains garbage. I don't understand. "Both sides" is such a deep rooted and infectious viewpoint for the lazy and ignorant, and I hate it.

That's a damn shame. I really liked Some More News, but them supporting Heard is a line I can't fuck with, so I'll be done with them.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Cody/Some More News has been the only one of these people who I actually follow/subscribe to, so yeah, seeing he was part of it was disappointing. Oh well.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
I've been ponderin a bit why I don't give much of a shit for leftist influencers. Pretty simple at core I think.

I and I think many others, when bringing similar issues of abuse forward, for some of us at a very early age, and not being believed, has made me at least veerrrry skeptical and deeply critical of those who claim to be moral authorities.

Dealing with the sort of pit-in-the-stomach disappointment in "the good guys" that's being described over and over again, is something some of us have known intimately nearly our entire lives.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
and why is that? I've seen that allowed for other people when they show ass

2) Anyone posting GIFs or any random Tweets from Twitter randos will be permanently threadbanned, you will not be allowed back in under any circumstances. If you want to post news, use legitimate sources of information. Don't use your favorite Twitter follow, we don't care how smart you think they are.

The thread has progressed past the need for twitter randos opinions/non news personalities, no more non news sources

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I just watched through this section, yeah, the one woman didn't seem too comfortable. It seems belittling to say "it wasn't that difficult" after the fact.
as they say: hindsight is 20/20
The only woman at the "table" rightly said (more or less) "You are surprised that a woman did an amazing job?".
camille became a partner at brown rudnick :)

brownrudnick.com

Brown Rudnick Elects Camille Vasquez to Partnership

ORANGE COUNTY, CALIF., June 7, 2022 – Brown Rudnick is pleased to announce that Camille Vasquez has been elevated to partner. Vasquez joined Brown
I have seen people talking that the next step for her would be to start her own law firm because everyone in Hollywood will want to have that kind of service that she offered in court.

Status
Not open for further replies.