• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I'll go as far as to say that, if he hadn't won every single count - He'd never have his life back.

The media are fucking embarrassing themselves right now. Imagine the circus had he lost...

It's low key terrifying it took six years, a ton of money, and a small (very public) legal miracle and yet it's still not good enough for some. This isn't even a criminal trial or anything of the sort. The refusal to just appropriately distance from Heard is infuriating.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday on CBC, a guest was gaslighting the jury themselves. They literally said the the judge in the UK trail was better because he is the judge and "knows" the law better then the jury. No talk of how the evidence was not allowed in that trail. No talk about judge's connections with the Sun. No talk about what was actually presented in the trail.

It has been so disheartening for me see all these "progressive" outlets that have decided that to not present any evidence, but keep proclaiming that evidence on Amber's side. Fuck the whole lot of them, they are not progressives, but click-bait rags that keep feeding their audience what they want to hear.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Liberal media could really do a service to MeToo by not declaring it dead. I mean did they all just get together and decide to turn it into a self-fulfilling prophecy? What is their angle?

It's like the journalistic equivalent of Talking their ball and going home.

The current biggest threat to the #metoo is liberal media making Amber Heard into a martyr.

Like I have no problem with believing women by default, even after this particular woman was exposed as an abusive liar and gaslighter. But as always, facts and evidence will reign supreme.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not in the right headspace to dive deep into a story of abuse and back and forth here, so apologies should my question annoy some.

What exactly was Heard found guilty of/ Depp found innocent of?

UK twitter seems to be in two absolute extremes with this. On one hand you have scum bags (like True Geordie) using the result of this trial to defend people like Chris Brown, Cristiano Ronaldo and Connor McGregor. On the other hand a lot of women commentators I follow are now dismayed that female victims of abuse may stop coming forward after seeing the widespread ridicule Amber Heard got. But going by era commentary in this thread, this isn't really the right way to look at things here.

Personally, I've just been grossed out seeing people celebrate this as if it were some sports result. Again, I've not been in a spot where I'd want to read into all of this so apologies for any ignorance I may be displaying here.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not in the right headspace to dive deep into a story of abuse and back and forth here, so apologies should my question annoy some.

UK twitter seems to be in two absolute extremes with this. On one hand you have scum bags (like True Geordie) using the result of this trial to defend people like Chris Brown, Cristiano Ronaldo and Connor McGregor. On the other hand a lot of women commentators I follow are now dismayed that female victims of abuse may stop coming forward after seeing the widespread ridicule Amber Heard got. But going by era commentary in this thread, this isn't really the right way to look at things here.

Personally, I've just been grossed out seeing people celebrate this as if it were some sports result. Again, I've not been in a spot where I'd want to read into all of this so apologies for any ignorance I may be displaying here.
She was found liable of defaming Depp by saying that he abused her. The evidence in the trial overwhelmingly pointed out that Heard was the real abuser and was just using this to further exert her power over him. There was solid evidence of abuse by Depp as Heard kept getting caught in lies.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
It's the same here in the UK. The only outlet with any nuance at all, and showing any kind of clarity on the actual evidence, is the fucking Daily Mail which is such an awful outlet its a banned source here.

The world is upside down right now.
Yep. This Morning discussed it today and the closest they came to Depp's side was saying that the marriage was toxic and both sided it, basically. Which will be confusing as fuck to the people who have only been watching This Morning's previous coverage where they barely discussed the finger, the faeces in the bed etc and made out that Heard was the sole victim.

Had Depp lost, would they have still been saying the marriage was toxic and both sided? Nah.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The defamation claim hinged on whether Heard published material which a) was about Johnny Depp, b) had malicious intent, and c) was untrue.

In her own testimony she admitted a) and b).

Most of the case was about deciding on c), i.e. the allegation that Depp abused Heard. The jury decided based on the presented evidence and testimony that it was untrue.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

other people will be able to sum up the trial better than me but unfortunately the stuff you're seeing on Twitter is loads of people pm the right being right for the wrong reasons and lots of people on the left being wrong for the "right" reasons if that makes sense. Most people on Era who have come to the conclusion that Heard was the abuser have watched the trial and listened to the audio that was previously leaked.

Last edited:

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand a lot of women commentators I follow are now dismayed that female victims of abuse may stop coming forward after seeing the widespread ridicule Amber Heard got. But going by era commentary in this thread, this isn't really the right way to look at things here.

You kinda have to look at that, but ONLY AFTER you acknowledge that justice has been made, in light of all the facts that came out, but especially, of all the BLATANT lies that Amber Heard was caught on.

But yeah, pieces of shit will get on this to defend scumbags and push the wrong agendas. What the community as a whole should do, If they are smart (or just decent) is acknowledge that we had the wrong human as the abuser and "add" the correct one to the metoo movement.

Other than this there's really no way, and even suggesting that Depp should have been burned to spare the future of the movement, should be grounds to beat the living shit out of who says that.

Games

Oct 27, 2017

The brief summary of the trial as a whole is that Amber Heard was constantly caught in her own lies. From her own testimony contradicting itself, to evidence contradicting her version of events, to even her own witnesses telling different stories to what she was telling. They were also using edited photos (literally shown side by side with every strand of hair in the same place), and submitting the same photos as evidence for different days in which she claims she was abused. Her actions on the stand are indefensible and the best way to prevent any damage to the metoo movement from this (which is all the left seems to care about) is to accept that in this case, we were wrong. That doesn't mean thousands of other women aren't suffering in silence.

Because of all of this, the jury decided her accusations in the op-ed were not true.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
User threadbanned: ignoring staff warning
www.theguardian.com

The Amber Heard-Johnny Depp trial was an orgy of misogyny | Moira Donegan

The backlash to #Me Too has long been under way. But this feels like a tipping point

It's honestly hard to fathom that an article like this can be written after everything. Yes, Me Too is going to be damaged from this, but that is not Depp's fault nor will it ever be; it's Heard's for co-opting the movement for her own personal gain.

With all the TERF stuff and now this; it's becoming blatantly clear what type of left-wing publication the Guardian is, and it's not one I feel welcome with anymore.

From the author of this article:

Cool, so fuck men's safety then? Just let your spouse hit you and verbally abuse you if you're a man? Unbelievable.

Last edited:

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
www.theguardian.com

The Amber Heard-Johnny Depp trial was an orgy of misogyny | Moira Donegan

The backlash to #Me Too has long been under way. But this feels like a tipping point

It's honestly hard to fathom that an article like this can be written after everything. Yes, Me Too is going to be damaged from this, but that is not Depp's fault nor will it ever be; it's Heard's for co-opting the movement for her own personal gain.

With all the TERF stuff and now this; it's becoming blatantly clear what type of left-wing publication the Guardian is, and it's not one I feel welcome with anymore.
The Guardian is not left-wing publication, lol.
They just sometimes have progressive writers, other times they have right wingers trying to to act "woke" for the general public.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Anita's stance on this almost angers me.

Like she dissected 2nd wave feminism and now its right there with them.

What did she say?

I find myself shying more and more away from social media in general on topics like this because there's a somewhat startling group-think that had appeared and it reminds me of what we see in right wing circles and it seems to be affecting people that are intelligent and should know better. So I'm curious what her take is.

Also, I don't get the idea that this verdict somehow "chills"or stops women from coming forward that are victims of abuse. Women coming forward to speak about being abused and Amber Heard writing an op-Ed (with help from the ACLU) lying about being abused by Depp are not remotely the same thing. People coming forward to seek Justice for abuse they've suffered are not the same as Amber Heard trying to elevate her status by claiming to be a victim when she was the abuser.

I don't see how people can conflate the verdict here and all the circumstances around it and say it would stop people from reporting abuse. What am I missing?

Last edited:

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
This final, verdict wrap up article from the NYT is what I have been waiting for this whole time.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
From the author is this article:

Cool, so fuck men's safety then? Just let your spouse hit you and verbally abuse you if you're a man? Unbelievable.

What a terrible person. It's shocking how many like this are out there too, it's not like it's a handful. They really would rather Johnny have stayed silent and just took the abuse and lies on the chin.

Deleted member 55524

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
User threadbanned
I'll just say that the public vitriol Heard received was so, so much worse than Depp would have
received if he hadn't been the decided favorite.
Other than this there's really no way, and even suggesting that Depp should have been burned to spare the future of the movement, should be grounds to beat the living shit out of who says that.
this is insane. celebrity worship out of control. you're gonna beat the shit out of someone because of a civil suit between two fucking celebrities. jesus h fucking christ.

pretty obvious that people get so upset about this trial because they can't separate their own personal experiences from what they're watching. that you took this tweet to mean that ("it's okay to abuse men, please do!") says more about you than the tweet.

0xe0x

Banned
Dec 23, 2021
Liberal media could really do a service to MeToo by not declaring it dead. I mean did they all just get together and decide to turn it into a self-fulfilling prophecy? What is their angle?
Short term panic over what will be a generational battle.

It never was going to be easy. These things will happen, and we might get worse cases where unlike this trial, a woman who is in the right will lose in court.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
The sad thing is, if this trial wasn't public then Depp would not even have a chance of ever redeeming himself in the public eye. We have posters in this very thread who admit that even if Depp won they wouldn't see him in good light. However, due to the trial being public they were able to see some of what the jury saw and see that he was the victim. Hell, if the trial wasn't televised I think the media from this verdict would of been worse than it is now.
Not only this, but being public actually helped in that two witnesses became aware. TMZ guy and Mr Night.TMZ saw the court had slightly longer different video, testified in a roundabout way that it was heard who gave it, Mr Night witnessed hicksville differently and saw the abuse against Johnny. These two were extremely important to Depp's case it left the defense scrambling. I honestly don't believe he would have won without it. TMZ aspects proved malice, Hicksville was a third party witness very little ties to either showing Amber all the characteristics of lying, exaggerating and abuse.

The whole thing about public aspects is that these are public accusations from public figures hence the defamation standards, Amber let the whole world know about all the details about the alleged abuse, leaked the video, posed shots. There is no better place to judge validity than in the court systems. Johnny was not opposed to showing the world the trial. It should be up judge to decide. That's 6 long years of being in the public under the false impression that Johnny was guilty to me anyway who didn't follow before hand. Watching the trial is absolutely different experience than reading the articles. Just going by a lot of articles alone, would have been under a false assumption that JD was doing extremely poorly and even now with the verdict, there's still publications.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
Feminism is for everybody, and men can be/are victims of patriarchy.
I literally don't understand why the online left is just giving this to right wingers.
Why do we suck so much at uniting online, compared to the right.
This should have been easy for everybody on the progressive side to unite in.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I'll just say that the public vitriol Heard received was so, so much worse than Depp would have

this is insane. celebrity worship out of control. you're gonna beat the shit out of someone because of a civil suit between two fucking celebrities. jesus h fucking christ.

pretty obvious that people get so upset about this trial because they can't separate their own personal experiences from what they're watching. that you took this tweet to mean that ("it's okay to abuse men, please do!") says more about you than the tweet.
Forgive me if I don't give a shit what you think it says about me, based on the shit you're saying. "Decided favorite", lmao fuck off.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic news, Justice was served.

Amber's statement afterwards is another lie on top of a long list of lies, and I truly hope that she is unemployable going forward.

To accuse someone of the heinous, unimaginable shit she accused Depp with, there should no coming back from.

It is downright shameful that some people are still trying to twist the truth even with all the evidence presented. Depp was the victim and he finally got some Justice.

Very happy right now.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Inappropriate Commentary Around Violence over Multiple Posts

?

I don't give a shit who they are. Suggesting someone INNOCENT should burn to spare a movement, should get you BEAT the everlasting shit out of.

Teusery

May 18, 2022
There is no reason this case has to be a "win" for the right wing only

Hearing out all victims and getting rid of bad faith actors should be great? shouldnt it?

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England

Why are you lot incapable of thinking "hmmm maybe there is some reason why people wanted him to win…" (*shock* maybe it was because her evidence was nonexistent and she was proven to constantly lie about everything :o wow)

Who gives a crap if they're a celebrity, or are you saying because he's famous his received abuse doesn't count?

Also do you really think that Heard getting dunked on online is worse than someone literally being "beat the shit out of" in real life over the course of years of a relationship? Even ignoring the fact that the past 6 years everyone gave him shit and no one believed him.

Get your priorities sorted out, honestly.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
It's very hard for me to parse how this verdict ends #metoo. Yes, abuse victims have a very steep hill to climb before they're able to come forward and be heard. This was true yesterday, is still true today and will likely be true tomorrow.

But let's say this case does have the impact the pro-Heard alarmists claim, that there is now a 'playbook' that rich abusers can use against victims. #metoo is a way to find justice by airing the abuse publically because a legal redress is unlikely to succeed. So yes, the risk of being held liable in court for speaking publically could be seen as a problem for victims but this is not new and Depp's lawyers didn't come up with some new and unknown loophole here. The Weinsteins and Cosbys of the world could have tried the exact same thing but the truth is, the 'Johnny Depp-playbook' just isn't attractive to real abusers from a risk-reward perspective.

Depp had to get to a place where he had no recourse left because his personal and professioanl reputation was in tatters and his abuser had an insurmountable PR advantage (and arguably still has right now.) All his dirty laundry has been aired in this trial and, even though Heard's lawyers couldn't square the circle, there was a very real risk that expert witnesses would demolish his last remnants of professional credibility on a film set. He had to spent years and millions to gather a mountain of evidence and even then knowledgeable analysts said his case was highly unlikely to prevail.

Real abusers have way more to lose in similar circumstances (e.g. the very power they use to silence women) than Depp did in this case. For example, I don't think Marilyn Manson is going to come out looking rehabilitated if he tries to claim defemation against Evan Rachel Wood because there are other victims and many witnesses who could be deposed against him.

Even if I try to read all these 'end of #metoo' articles as charitably as possible, I just don't see any facts supporting the central thesis. I'd argue that hammering on the alarmist narrative that you can never ever accuse a powerful abuser because you will be destroyed in a defamation suit is MORE discouraging to victims than the actual verdict even if that's not what happened in this particular case. And don't get me started on male victims - even this goddamn thread is evidence that male victims of abuse should just suck it up and stop messing with the narrative.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
That tweet is in context of the trial that tweet being in context of the trial is the problem if it was on its own and unrelated sure but its not. Trying to twist it says more about you than anything.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018

What a shit post, fuck off.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
You know.... burying an innocent man for the sake of the greater good sounds like something a villain would do 🤔

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017

From her article:

This cruelty has now been joined in and compounded by the jury, who have gone beyond mocking her for telling her story, and now declared that she actually broke the law by doing so.

Fuck this shitty take.

She fucking lied, so yeah, she did break the law.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017

Removed from context, she's absolutely right - we should prioritise the safety of women over anyone's feelings.

But the author, and unfortunately a lot of other well intentioned people, were the ones who actually treated this like sports teams after watching Heard's leaked TMZ video and the outcome of a heavily flawed UK trial. They refused to consider Depp's overwhelming evidence because, in their mind, this new trial is akin to empowering an abuser.

It's a fucked situation that could have been avoided if they just chilled out for a couple months, let the TV frenzy happen, and wait for the trial to play out. By taking a breath you avoid a liar tarnishing an otherwise important movement. The Jussie Smollett case was a perfect example of how to handle this - within days most powerful people in the movement backed away while questions were asked, within weeks his name was a joke used in stand-up routines. The outcome was minimal damage to BLM.

Not to pile on, but it feels like a large part of our progressive, well-meaning press has learned nothing from the mistakes of Hillary's 2016 campaign - just because there is a larger issue at stake, it doesn't mean all criticism is misogynistic and should be ignored.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no reason this case has to be a "win" for the right wing only

Hearing out all victims and getting rid of bad faith actors should be great? shouldnt it?

Absolutely. It should. Now watch them not doing anything to help their cause.

If the right is capable to use this for their gains it's entirely the fault of the movement.

They rather watch it burn down than admit one of their chosen ones were at fault.

The right doesn't have the power to stop this.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
So much of the outrage over this feels performative. Anyone saying that this outcome has irrevocably damaged me too is being hyperbolic. That's like saying Jussie Smollet irrevocably damaged efforts to combat racism. Every Cosby and Weinstein is not now going to be able to win damages in defamation jury trials against women that have legitimate claims against them. Sometimes there are bad (or dubious, at best) actors putting on a show of being on the right side, despite it being a con. It is what it is, and it doesn't discount or permanently damage anything. It just means expectations and first impressions are not determinative, which has always been the case.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017

Your posts are seriously disheartening.
People getting upset because an innocent man was given back justice is enough to keep throwing shades at him and still portray him as an abuser because otherwise it would hurt women's feelings ? This was never about Women in general, it was always about ONE woman, Amber Heard, who clearly abused Depp. Not the other way around.

Now would be the time to actually take Depp onboard, as a victim. Not playing the victim blaming game "yes but he wrote nasty texts to his friends about her", not paying the sly double siding "she was only violent because it was a toxic relationship". Just accept the fucking victim as he is, unless cismale victims should just remain silent and keep the abuse hidden ? WTF...

Damien1990

May 23, 2020

I'm not remotely surprised to see that one of the people who quoted that was the lawyer who said this:

"Why would a person who loses profoundly in the great country of Britain go to America to bring a case that is essentially the same case? It's all about social media for him. This is a circus and it is embarrassing as a lawyer to see how this is playing out. It is more humiliation for her and degradation. And you can see on the twitter war which is what this is really about.

"Depp's lawyers are using a tremendous amount of resource to get a message across that she is a broken woman, she is unstable, she's a psychopath and untrustworthy. For example #AmberHeardIsAPsychopath, #AmberHeardIsALiar. These are the kind of things that are put out there questioning her mental health, whether she has borderline personality. None of this is directed towards Johnny Depp."

on one of the biggest news channels in the UK four days ago.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Removed from context, she's absolutely right - we should prioritise the safety of women over anyone's feelings.

But the author, and unfortunately a lot of other well intentioned people, were the ones who actually treated this like sports teams after watching Heard's leaked TMZ video and the outcome of a heavily flawed UK trial. They refused to consider Depp's overwhelming evidence because, in their mind, this new trial is akin to empowering an abuser.

It's a fucked situation that could have been avoided if they just chilled out for a couple months, let the TV frenzy happen, and wait for the trial to play out. By taking a breath you avoid a liar tarnishing an otherwise important movement. The Jussie Smollett case was a perfect example of how to handle this - within days most powerful people in the movement backed away while questions were asked, within weeks his name was a joke used in stand-up routines. The outcome was minimal damage to BLM.

Not to pile on, but it feels like a large part of our progressive, well-meaning press has learned nothing from the mistakes of Hillary's 2016 campaign - just because there is a larger issue at stake, it doesn't mean all criticism is misogynistic and should be ignored.

Awesome post.

chadboban

May 27, 2020
Man when I look at this case the Jussie Smollett case where both tried to use social justice movements to benefit their own careers, I see that pretty much everyone turned on Smollett damn near instantaneously including the media that reported on him favorably before the truth started coming out.

Yet with Heard, it was and still is such an agonizingly slow process even when the audio and some of the evidence was made public years ago. And still the media reports favorably on her and "progressives" are standing by her. Despite her being pretty much completely exposed now.

The benefits of being a pretty white woman in America over a gay black man I guess.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly thought he wouldn't, so I'm so incredibly glad that Depp won this and that justice was served.

It is however incredibly frustrating to see so many discredit this and side with Heard however, and the way many are speaking implies that men are incapable of being abused.
As a male victim of domestic abuse who took years to understand what was happening and getting out of that toxic relationship and who was scarred for life from it, it really hurts whenever I see takes like the ones you're talking about and this trial has really brought out the worst of them into the open.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

But Heard hadn't pitched the idea to the Post—the ACLU had. Terence Dougherty, the organization's general counsel, testified via video deposition that after Heard promised to donate $3.5 million to the organization, the ACLU named her an "ambassador on women's rights with a focus on gender-based violence." The ACLU had also spearheaded the effort to place the op-ed, and served as Heard's ghostwriter.

Kinda crazy how much of a hand they had in this. Ambassador positions shouldn't be for sale.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's low key terrifying it took six years, a ton of money, and a small (very public) legal miracle and yet it's still not good enough for some. This isn't even a criminal trial or anything of the sort. The refusal to just appropriately distance from Heard is infuriating.

The domestic violence lawsuit was dismissed with prejudice 6 years ago so of course this one wasn't criminal.
(And with police and doctors siding unquestionably with Depp we know how that would have went).

An actual clown show.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I think alot of people forget that neither case was about domestic violence and, in neither case, was Depp acting as a defendant or on trial.

One was about libel against a newspaper (The Sun) and one was defamation of character against an individual (Heard).

I think the biggest issue is that the US case became a spectacle. It was reality TV. Absolutely disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.