• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this topic has already been done. I did a search and found one from March but it was locked as there was no reputable source.

Well now we have it. According to the BBC Johnny Depp said:

"She was the perpetrator, and I was the victim. While mixing prescription amphetamines and non-prescription drugs with alcohol, Ms Heard committed innumerable acts of domestic violence against me, often in the presence of a third-party witness, which in some instances caused me serious bodily harm."

I don't know how to feel about this. My initial reaction was to scoff and think of him as making a petty "no u" argument but until this has been resolved I think no matter how unlikely, this is a serious allegation that he has made and it is going to complicate the situation further.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
By all accounts there's reason to believe either one of them, leaning slightly more towards Amber being more guilty than there was last year when all evidence suggested Depp was the only aggressor.

Certainly, this is one of those rare cases were we have to wait it out to know who was really the abuser and who wasn't.

I could say it was definetly Amber but I've only seen the evidence that was public and it doesn't suggest that for definite either. She may very well be entirely innocent. Or not

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Were there not pics of injuries in the previous thread?
They are both toxic by the sounds of it and substance abuse does not help!

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will warn that if you decide to look more into this becareful and cautious with the picture of what happened to his finger/hand it is NOT for the faint of heart.

Oct 27, 2017
I believe him. And I believe her. It's very possible for two people in a relationship to be at fault. Why would you scoff at any victims account of abuse? That's fucked up.

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
"My initial reaction was to scoff."

Disgusting reaction. This kind of ridicule is why male victims of domestic abuse are ashamed of going to the cops

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
It seems like they both fucked each other up. I don't really have much an opinion beyond that.

Except I hope his finger works now

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I can believe it. I remember Doug Stanhope talking about how he witnessed her assaulting him.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissive commentary surrounding allegations of domestic abuse
dude needs more wine money apparently.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
This seems like another pathetic attempt to save his ass. Check out the Rolling Stone profile (probably he expected that this would work too): https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/the-trouble-with-johnny-depp-666010/

Don't do drugs guys.

It could work better to publicly and honestly admit that he made some severe mistakes, and get into a rehab.

This whole story is really quite disappointing for a former fan of his movie choices.

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Wait for the lawsuit to happen.

There's a lot of things Depp wasn't allowed to disclose publicly, and that's why so many people still defended him even after the terrible allegations.

Just wait before judging. That's the one case where you should wait. All his former partners came out to defend him too so that wasn't a "serial abuser" case, and as for the recent "scandal" you heard on set, that was also bullshit and he was defended by his co workers.
(That he had so called "punched" some guy, turns out he was defending a homeless woman that was treated horribly by the person that rented the set and he stood in)

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this sounds like a terrible marriage all around.

If Depp is telling the truth, I hope he can recover from the kind of psychological trauma something like this would obviously leave.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This seems like another pathetic attempt to save his ass. Check out the Rolling Stone profile (probably he expected that this would work too): https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/the-trouble-with-johnny-depp-666010/

Don't do drugs guys.

It could work better to publicly and honestly admit that he made some severe mistakes, and get into a rehab.

This whole story is really quite disappointing for a former fan of his movie choices.

You should look into the evidence he sent, like how his thumb was cut.

It is not a clear cut case.

Nov 30, 2018
Heard was arrested for domestic violence before so I'm riding with depp on this one

Arrested and actually convicted are two different things

Also somebody's past doesn't mean anything. If she *happened* to *abuse* a past partner doesn't mean she deserves to be abused.

Don't do drugs guys.

Yeah he's a piece of shit drunk who needs help immediately

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope the Justice system can properly sort the truth from fiction here because I don't know what to think.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
You should look into the evidence he sent, like how his thumb was cut.

Probably from a wine glass or bottle of wine smashed on the table.

The domestic abuse photos of Heard were more telling than anything he has said so far. And I'm by no means a fan of her, I used to be a fan of Depp.

Just read the Rolling Stone profile in full, it told me a lot about his current state of mind. I hope he will realize that himself.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes people are toxic when around one another. I'm willing to believe both were shitty to one another.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Arrested and actually convicted are two different things

Also somebody's past doesn't mean anything. If she *happened* to *abuse* a past partner doesn't mean she deserves to be abused.

It does mean something though. Like if you have a history of abusing a spouse, I would say you have an easier time doing it again.

Of course, if she wasn't convicted, then it should not be hold against her.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Eminem was right. This is what happens when a tornado meets a volcano.

Nov 30, 2018
It does mean something though. Like if you have a history of abusing a spouse, I would say you have an easier time doing it again.

Of course, if she wasn't convicted, then it should not be hold against her.

Yeah her "abuse" past is bullshit but the MRA will eat it up when it comes to her and Depp

https://www.etonline.com/news/19060...e_speaks_out_on_domestic_violence_arrest_2009

Amber Heard's ex-girlfriend, photographer Tasya van Ree, is defending the actress when it comes to Heard's arrest in 2009 on a charge of misdemeanor domestic violence.

"In 2009, Amber was wrongfully accused for an incident that was misinterpreted and over-sensationalized by two individuals in a power position," van Ree said in a statement on Wednesday. "I recount hints of misogynistic attitudes toward us which later appeared to be homophobic when they found out we were domestic partners and not just 'friends.'"

"Charges were quickly dropped and she was released moments later," she continues. "It's disheartening that Amber's integrity and story are being questioned yet again. Amber is a brilliant, honest and beautiful woman and I have the utmost respect for her. We shared five wonderful years together and remain close to this day."

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Probably from a wine glass or bottle of wine smashed on the table.

The domestic abuse photos of Heard were more telling than anything he has said so far. And I'm by no means a fan of her, I used to be a fan of Depp.

Just read the Rolling Stone profile in full, it told me a lot about his current state of mind. I hope he will realize that himself.

I have a hard time believing that, since he cut his whole tip off... theoretically possible but unlikley imo.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Once more, the RS profile: https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/the-trouble-with-johnny-depp-666010/

Get a decent cup of coffee / tea and go through the thing. It told me everything I needed to know.

And this interview was clearly set up because they (managers? himself?) believed it would fix his public perception - he has lost some roles=money due to these incidents. Well, this didn't exactly work out.

And, btw, few people have been talking about the fact that this started as an affair with the 23 year old younger girl, and that he left his family and teenage children for that. Which is pathetic too (in this case indeed two people are to blame - karma coming back to both?).

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yep. Feel bad for Depp if this is all true. Everyone was shitting him. Especially here.

1) she does not have a history
2) She doing shit things to him does not mean he didn't do shit things to her.
3) Depp's wikipedia page has subsections dedicated to substance abuse and legal problems... people (including me) don't need domestic abuse to shit on him.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
1) she does not have a history
2) She doing shit things to him does not mean he didn't do shit things to her.
3) Depp's wikipedia page has subsections dedicated to substance abuse and legal problems... people (including me) don't need domestic abuse to shit on him.
1.) She does have a history of being a domestic abuser
2.) So far there's allegedly a lot more evidence of her abusing him then the other way around
3.) Having substance abuse problem doesn't mean you deserve a abusive marriage

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I feel bad in general for just kinda jumping onto the knee-jerk reaction of "Depp abused her!" but, y'know, Imma wait and see on this one. This whole situation is insanely messy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"My initial reaction was to scoff."

Disgusting reaction. This kind of ridicule is why male victims of domestic abuse are ashamed of going to the cops

My initial reaction had nothing to do with genders, it would have been the same had their positions of been reversed. I am sorry you took it to be that I was laughing at male abuse and I will try to be clearer in the future. The reason why I initially doubted the story was because it is known that sometimes people will make counter abuse claims to defend themselves.

Prosecutors may often be presented with conflicting accounts of the incident, with each party claiming to be the victim. The offender may make a counter-allegation of abuse, or argue that s/he acted in self-defence, making it difficult to identify and distinguish between the primary victim and primary aggressor.

Regardless, my initial reaction was inappropriate and I did mention immediately how this is a serious accusation. Therefore, I am not doubling down, I immediately felt guilty, changed my view of the situation and I will reserve any further judgement until courts have made a decision but I wanted to present this topic because I realised we now have a difficult situation. According to Safe Lives:

One of the more common challenges for those coming in to contact with domestic abuse is counter-allegations, where both parties allege that the other is abusive. For those less experienced in working with domestic abuse it can be easy to fall in to the trap of believing this is so, and that they are 'both as bad as each other'.

With that in mind, it's why I created this topic initially.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Were there not pics of injuries in the previous thread?
They are both toxic by the sounds of it and substance abuse does not help!

The problem with the photo as proof is she has always alleged that was something he did to himself when he was drunk and broke a bottle. As far as I understand it, the photo came from her own court fillings, where she alleges he sent her the photo to intimidate her and then wrote a message about her being unfaithful on a mirror in his own blood.

Is it possible she is lying? Absolutely. But she had an explanation for that injury before the photos were widely circulating.

Amber heard sounds fucking terrible person all around. Jesus i felt ashamed for supporting Aquaman movie. Fuck that shit
https://www.nickiswift.com/15521/amber-heard-was-arrested-for-domestic-violence-against-girlfriend/

The girlfriend in question even said at the time that it didn't happen that way and she felt the arrest was motivated by subconscious homophobia. (The arresting officer turned out to be gay herself, which people like to use as if it somehow negates how the ex girlfriend feels about the situation or her insistence that no abuse happened.) Now maybe she's just covering for Amber, but it's definitely not as clear cut as presented in these threads.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this sounds like a terrible marriage all around.

If Depp is telling the truth, I hope he can recover from the kind of psychological trauma something like this would obviously leave.

It's not just the psychological damage, but the damage to his career too. How many jobs has he lost out on because of those allegations? People were calling for Depp to be fired from Fantastic Beasts because of these allegations and we know Disney is planning to reboot Pirates of the Caribbean without him because of them too.

Amber Heard basically ruined his career while she was off starting in billion dollar movies like Aquaman. If it does turn out the way it seems to be and she was the abusive one, that's all kinds of fucked up.

The worst part is... Wasn't he clean? After what happened to his daughter, didn't he swear off drugs and alcohol? Why would he start doing those things again unless Amber Heard was doing them and was a bad influence.

Staff Post: Discussion Guidelines (read before posting)

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Official Staff Communication

As this thread develops, please remember that this is a complicated dispute that has been going on for years. Out of respect for both parties, please keep your speculation in check and approach the conversation with tact.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. But Depp is famous for letting it fuck up his work (he is famously a bad person to rely on set) and Amber allegations included the fact that he became violent while on drugs, so this is why i mentioned it.
It's gonna be a he said/she said until the facts come I guess. We'll see. Didn't Depp say he had receipts?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The girlfriend in question even said at the time that it didn't happen that way and she felt the arrest was motivated by subconscious homophobia. (The arresting officer turned out to be gay herself, which people like to use as if it somehow negates how the ex girlfriend feels about the situation or her insistence that no abuse happened.) Now maybe she's just covering for Amber, but it's definitely not as clear cut as presented in these threads.

The arresting cop spoke out about the incident and I think her take is at least worth considering.

https://people.com/movies/amber-heards-arresting-officer-speaks-out-i-am-so-not-homophobic/

Last edited: