• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
SALT LAKE CITY — "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" is notable for concluding the Skywalker Saga, but it may also serve as an extensive greatest-hits compilation for composer John Williams.

IGN notes that Don Williams also mentioned including themes for "everyone," including Darth Vader, Yoda and Princess Leia. He also mentioned "the Phantom," which could refer to the iconic "Duel of the Fates" theme that plays over Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) and Qui-Gon Jinn's (Liam Neeson) Naboo battle with Darth Maul (Ray Park).

Duel of Fates, let's go!!!!

0BBC0B90-1334-438E-BDAF-5FAB4F599E21.jpeg

k19ngg.gif

And maybe Love Across the Stars...featuring Reylo ; )

2b383c47728e89a0692a7694813f31c2e06c66ac.jpg

f800dd77a24658757385a7c4710ef2e7.jpg

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yea I don't really like this as a concept but it depends on how it's executed. This could easily end up being nostalgia wank if something like Duel of the Fates is haphazardly thrown in.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Musical scores tend to turn me into a sobbing mess so this movie will probably wreck me in parts.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
As long as we get a duel of the fates arrangement everything will be good.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Don Williams, who is a veteran studio percussionist, went on to drop some details about the highly anticipated film, as he revealed that the score would include musical themes for "everyone." He name-dropped Leia and Yoda, and also mentioned "the Phantom" and "Darth."

Sounds like we'll hear the Imperial March and the Emperor's theme, not necessarily the Duel of the Fates although I wouldn't doubt it.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
This is an old quote and Don was almost certainly not speaking literally. Don't expect Qui Gon's theme or Jabba's theme to make any unexpected appearances.

The main staples are present in every score Williams has done. The Last Jedi alone probably hits every "iconic" motif barring the three most popular themes from the prequels.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I don't really like this as a concept but it depends on how it's executed. This could easily end up being nostalgia wank if something like Duel of the Fates is haphazardly thrown in.
The best Star Wars is nostalgia wank though. It took me many years to come to terms with this notion.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

Movie is going to have a ton of nostalgia wank (because JJ), the score may as well fit.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
This is an old quote and Don was almost certainly not speaking literally. Don't expect Qui Gon's theme or Jabba's theme to make any unexpected appearances.

The main staples are present in every score Williams has done. The Last Jedi alone probably hits every "iconic" motif barring the three most popular themes from the prequels.

It's from August of this year. That's 2 months ago. I don't see that as that old.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I kind of wish they would do like with the prequels and release it about a week earlier than the movie but not getting my hopes up.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Recycling old shit is what the Abramsverse is all about, after all.
The best Star Wars is nostalgia wank though. It took me many years to come to terms with this notion.
Not musically. Revenge of the Sith is probably the best SW soundtrack. A contender at the very least.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
"I clapped because I heard the song I remembered!"

TBH, I'll be happy since the newest stuff has been okay, but not memorable.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If Duel of the Fates plays I'm gonna lose my shit

That track is so goddamn hype

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think Duel of Fates is likely. Love across the Stars is iffy but it's iconic.

Duel of Fates should start here imo:

rivglwhitiwpmyjxmro8.gif
I think something like Battle of the Heroes would work better. I know the context probably wouldn't make sense but I just can't see the Duel of the Fates chant here.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
"member past movies??

They announce little tidbits like this to try to cause excitement over nostalgia hype

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
This is likely an exaggeration. But I'm sure we'll hear a lot of themes.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Probably for the best, John William's is getting up there, even the sharpest minds start to go. His music peaked in the 80s to early 90s. As far as whimsical, varied fantasy themes Hook > Harry Potter which was sort of a Swan Lake remix.