• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
This man is 90 years old. Has he not earned his retirement by now?
He could retire, but he'd probably just get the itch to compose some music again quickly and before you know it he's doing another film. A little like Miyazaki who's "retired" several times only to get an idea for another film some time later and return. As long as he physically and mentally can do it, why not?

There's a reason most composers in history have only stopped composing when they're dead.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Is there a clip off it I'm missing? All I see in the article is an ad that keeps following me.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
As for him not retiring, as someone not musically talented my observation is that great musician's minds don't stop doing music. Just watch Paul McCartney during the Get Back documentary, even when it's just killing time he's humming tapping, etc.

He must enjoy doing it.

As a developer there are some things tangential that I enjoy, like PC gaming, mods, optimizing. I get more into it during extended downtime.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Honestly have been disappointed with the Disney era SW music. Give me more of what he was smoking in the prequels

Rey's theme is pretty sweet but, yeah, there's not a ton else I can think of off the top of my head as compared to the other trilogies. Though the others had WAY more video games reusing they soundtracks and making them more recognisable.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Rey's theme is pretty sweet but, yeah, there's not a ton else I can think of off the top of my head as compared to the other trilogies. Though the others had WAY more video games reusing they soundtracks and making them more recognisable.

We also know that all three sequel scores (especially the JJ ones) were massively tampered with as the films continued to get edited at the last minute. Who knows what great music Williams wrote that ultimately got rewritten to death or simply left out of the final cut?

Feb 14, 2018
I think I heard a while back that the editors chopped up his Ep 9 score pretty badly. I don't remember the details but I think what you hear in the film isn't exactly what he intended or what he wrote. Something really similar was done for Ep 2, especially in the battle of Geonosis scenes. The story was that a ton of scene edits were done after he had already finished recording the music -- I think the whole "C3PO and a battle droid having their heads swapped" subplot was added at the last minute, so his score for that section was completely mangled.

Anyway it's wonderful he's still at it. The OSTs for eps 7 and 8 are outstanding. I never gave 9 a proper listen.

dmshaposv

Oct 27, 2017
Would've been excited if this was Ludwig or Nick Britell instead.

I'd love to be proven wrong... But the sequel trilogy music (which got Oscar nominated somehow) was the most forgettable Williams shit ever.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
No that was Goransson

But there has been good stuff in Disney's Star Wars

I agree that William's sequel trilogy themes are super unmemorable besides maybe Rey's theme

That, and

Kylo REN's bombast theme is pretty memorable to me. I sing that a lot around my son like I used to the empire theme when I was his age

Borgus

Apr 14, 2020
Toronto
We're so lucky that this fellow is still making music for Star Wars/anything really. I'm normally all about moving forward and bringing in new talent but John Williams and his scores are the reason so many musicians we enjoy today even got into music. Anyone that I know who studies music theory still cites his works for the reason they learned how to identify intervals (P5 being opening title, M6 being Leia's theme, m2(m9 sometimes) Jaws, etc. etc.) and I'm stoked to hear what he does here.

I will admit his work in the ST isn't as memorable but I don't think thats entirely his fault. The music on its own is pretty great and as mentioned here, Rey's Theme is amazing. He took the "Dires irae" which is famous for being the musical embodiment of death and turned it into something light and hopeful, while still maintaining that grim subtext. Its maybe one of the only
leitimate clues in TFA that she has a relation to the dark side.

Last edited:

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
While I largely don't care for Williams' ST music with the exceptions of Rey's Theme and Rise of Skywalker, I do think Powell and Giachinno had some great music in their films. I really love Lando's Closet, You're Father Would Be Proud, and Guardians of the Whills.

Also, I guess it's a joke, but Williams is obviously not doing this so TROS isn't his last film lol He or Disney seem to want him to do themes for some of these classic characters, as they also got him back for a new Han Solo theme in Solo.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
While I largely don't care for Williams' ST music with the exceptions of Rey's Theme and Rise of Skywalker, I do think Powell and Giachinno had some great music in their films. I really love Lando's Closet, You're Father Would Be Proud, and Guardians of the Whills.

Also, I guess it's a joke, but Williams is obviously not doing this so TROS isn't his last film lol He or Disney seem to want him to do themes for some of these classic characters, as they also got him back for a new Han Solo theme in Solo.

Don't forget he willingly composed the theme for Galaxy's Edge too.

Guy legitimately loves Star Wars. He doesn't take it seriously like we internet dwellers do and has fun with it.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Giacchino did a pretty good job aping vintage Williams in Rogue One.

youtu.be

Star Wars - Director Orson Krennic Suite (Theme)

Suite of the theme of Director Orson Krennic from Rogue One: a Star Wars Story and Star Wars: Battlefront.The tracks used come from Rogue One Complete Score ...

I wouldn't go that far, but he did a fantastic job. Especially when you consider he was a last minute replacement, and composed the movie in what was meant to be his free time between Dr Strange and Spiderman: Far From Home.

Im still bitter how many people critiqued the soundtrack at the time.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly have been disappointed with the Disney era SW music. Give me more of what he was smoking in the prequels
I agree that William's sequel trilogy themes are super unmemorable besides maybe Rey's theme

You know a film's score is underwhelming when the TV spots have better music than the actual film:

Yup. Also, while TLJ is definitely my favorite Star Wars film, even I don't think the film had any memorable tracks aside from reused ones.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Giacchino did a pretty good job aping vintage Williams in Rogue One.

youtu.be

Star Wars - Director Orson Krennic Suite (Theme)

Suite of the theme of Director Orson Krennic from Rogue One: a Star Wars Story and Star Wars: Battlefront.The tracks used come from Rogue One Complete Score ...

For some reason the following scene is the part of the score that I remember the most. The tension was incredible on a first watch:

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason the following scene is the part of the score that I remember the most. The tension was incredible on a first watch:

That track always reminds me of Lux Aeterna from Requiem for a Dream

youtu.be

Lux Aeterna

Provided to YouTube by NonesuchLux Aeterna · Clint Mansell · Kronos QuartetRequiem for a Dream / OST℗ 2000 Nonesuch Records Inc. for the United States and WE...