• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/12/john-wick-tv-series/

This is exciting: A John Wick-inspired TV series is now officially in development at Starz.

The premium cable network is working on a show titled The Continental, which will be set in the John Wick universe with a pilot directed by Chad Stahelski (the co-director of John Wick and the sole director of John Wick: Chapter 2).

The Continental is focused on the inner workings of the exclusive Continental Hotel which serves as a refuge for assassins. Only this version will be set in "hyper-real" Los Angeles instead of New York, like in the films.

"This series is truly unlike anything else on TV," pledged Starz President & CEO Chris Albrecht. "The Continental promises to include the thunderous fight sequences and intensely staged shootouts between professional assassins and their targets that fans have come to expect in the John Wick movie franchise as well as introducing some new, darkly compelling characters who inhabit this underground world."

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Starz is kind of struggling in the series department financially, I'm a little surprised they'd pick it up, but i bet they're hoping the fanbase will come with it.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's an amazing idea. idk why but I feel like this was rumored before or at least something about the John Wick world and the hotel specifically. It's full of possibilities

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
So my guess is that Wick basically will just be a name that people mention in this, like "Damn, looks like Wick was here" whenever they find a room full of dudes shot in the head. Maybe get Keanu for one episode?

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe get Keanu for one episode?

He is on as an exec producer (which really doesn't mean anything) but, at the very least, they have that line to him, it's the same world so maybe he can hop on board for a cameo in the pilot or finale.

Edit: Also wouldn't surprise me if Reeves directs an episode or two.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Cast Christopher Walken

57730d8dd274ac195fcd4361f2adc591.jpg

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This is an awesome idea. Its would be cool if they have entire episodes with different assassins and having The Continental itself being the central setting they all have in common.

I wanna see someone big as the manager. I have so many people in my head that I think would be cool as hell, but would never happen.

Oct 28, 2017
He is on as an exec producer (which really doesn't mean anything) but, at the very least, they have that line to him, it's the same world so maybe he can hop on board for a cameo in the pilot or finale.

Edit: Also wouldn't surprise me if Reeves directs an episode or two.

I would expect this to happen. The EP credit was probably part of the negotiation to get him in a couple episodes potentially. If they want to sell this world, they need to show that John Wick is in it.

BR2049

Oct 28, 2017
"Damn. John Wick did that?

"Yea."

"So he just pees all over the bed sheets?"

"Yeah.."

Akalance

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
They left the organization kind of vague so they can go in any direction they want.

That being said, I won't be subscribing for one show. Hopefully it leads to them picking up more series like this and American Gods, and I'll consider it.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles? So is this another branch of the hotel?

And I assume its location means we won't be seeing Lance Reddick, so

giphy.gif

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I'm familiar with anything from Starz, but I've been stoked for the show since it was announced. I'm up for anything in the John Wick universe, there's a lot of potential with the lore.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
You know what, I'm actually interested in this. The Continental and the whole hitman underworld was one of the most surprisingly interesting aspects of the original movie. I sort of didn't like that the Continental was basically like a franchise chain in John Wick 2 though.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a good idea, as it was one of the elements of the movie that I felt could be expanded and had a lot of potential. Depends on how they do it, though. I doubt it will be handled as well as the movie(s). (Note: haven't seen John Wick 2, so can't comment about that one.)

Would be awesome if they can get some of the actors from the movie, but I doubt it...

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
Loved their underrated DaVinci's Demons show.

*Googles*

Man, that sounds straight up my alley. I see the show ended after three seasons. Was it cancelled or was that the staff's choice?

Admittedly, I don't watch much TV, so I guess that's why I'm not too familiar with Starz, hahaha. I'm a diehard John Wick fan, though, so I wish them luck with this. Hopefully Stahelski can give the crew advice on how to handle the series after the pilot. I'm very curious when this show will come out . . . I think Chapter 3 is supposed to release sometime in May 2019, so I'm guessing after that?

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I would love a show where Winston running the Continental was basically a modern and fancier version of Al Swearengen running the Gem.

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
It was cancelled, but most of the plotlines were wrapped up in a satisfying way.

I'm glad to hear that about the plotlines at the very least. I know sometimes when shows are cancelled (especially abruptly), it can really affect the pacing and the central plot. Will definitely check out the show for sure, thanks. :)

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*Googles*

Man, that sounds straight up my alley. I see the show ended after three seasons. Was it cancelled or was that the staff's choice?

Admittedly, I don't watch much TV, so I guess that's why I'm not too familiar with Starz, hahaha. I'm a diehard John Wick fan, though, so I wish them luck with this. Hopefully Stahelski can give the crew advice on how to handle the series after the pilot. I'm very curious when this show will come out . . . I think Chapter 3 is supposed to release sometime in May 2019, so I'm guessing after that?
It might've been cancelled but season 3 ends the series in satisfying fashion. For some reason like Penny Dreadful, the show never caught on within Pop culture despite the quality and audience you'd assume would be there for it.

If it interests you, I wholeheartedly recommend the series. Leonardo DaVinci is like a cross between MacGuyver and Indiana Jones during Medici era Italy. You'll also get Assassin Creed Ezio Trilogy vibes as well.

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Interesting.

Although call me mad but I would prefer if this was less action, more drama/politics

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting.

Although call me mad but I would prefer if this was less action, more drama/politics

I agree. First, I don't think they'd be able to compellingly pull of the action in a way that would satisfy John Wick fans and second if the show is going to last it needs to develop characters that are interesting and have a bit of depth.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Part of the John Wick appeal was the casting, so I'm not sure if this will be as well perceived, but still, I'm in.

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I agree. First, I don't think they'd be able to compellingly pull of the action in a way that would satisfy John Wick fans and second if the show is going to last it needs to develop characters that are interesting and have a bit of depth.

Yup.

Keep the movies about the bombast and action. The TV series should be more personal.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Keanu periodically showing up is what makes this a genius idea. There aren't many shows that have an AAA actor who isn't top billing and in the center of the camera 90% of the time.

Just knowing he's lurking and might show up at any minute is like some Game of Thrones "no one is safe" excitement.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of the John Wick appeal was the casting, so I'm not sure if this will be as well perceived, but still, I'm in.
Ian McShane and Lance Reddick should both be pretty easy to get in on this if they wanted to. Keanu is already in, even if it's not centered on him and he'll only appear rarely. It's a good concept that can work well as a series.