• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
On ya Romero.

Shame I don't have a PC anymore. I doubt I can get this to work on the Xbox version

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
1. This is awesome.
2. Some of the merch on his site is rad - that Doomguy face mask is perfect!

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Would be cool if MS could work with him to get this playable on the console versions of Doom to open this gesture up to a bigger audience.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Shame I don't have a PC anymore. I doubt I can get this to work on the Xbox version
Not presently, they'd need to add it officially given there's no way to sideload content in the Xbox version. You can do it on the Android version however.

Maybe, maybe not. I believe some of the more recent stuff he did for Ultimate Doom is playable on the Xbox version, though I could be wrong.
That would be Sigil, which yes is available there amongst other things.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's true. It'd be cool if they patched in a way to buy it on consoles.
My guess is that it just looks for a WAD in a specific folder? If that was the case, they could just put it on PSN/XBL/Steam and skip the internal mod downloader. It would be less money donated, because platform fees (assuming Beth/MS would waive their fee as well) since I'm not even sure they have an option of skipping the fee. Still would raise more due to the volume of sales, tho?

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Cool.

I remember Brad Shoemaker playing some of his recently made levels and they seemed really involved, so that's a really nice incentive to donate to help people affected by this.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
My guess is that it just looks for a WAD in a specific folder? If that was the case, they could just put it on PSN/XBL/Steam and skip the internal mod downloader. It would be less money donated, because platform fees (assuming Beth/MS would waive their fee as well).
I assume you mean selling it as a DLC package? From what I know of doing the mod support in Quake, no it wouldn't be quite that simple. The mod support is engineered to look inside a mount location that is a kind of cache storage on consoles (you can only write to very specific locations). A DLC package would be yet another location to look in, index and load.

(Also I assume you mean Switch rather than Steam. The Steam/PC version can sideload as well. :P)

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
I assume you mean selling it as a DLC package? From what I know of doing the mod support in Quake, no it wouldn't be quite that simple. The mod support is engineered to look inside a mount location that is a kind of cache storage on consoles (you can only write to very specific locations). A DLC package would be yet another location to look in, index and load.

(Also I assume you mean Switch rather than Steam. The Steam/PC version can sideload as well. :P)
Yeah, I goofed. "Folder" was a simplification, but now that you mentioned it, I should have expected the game files and DLC are totally separate locations in memory and that the internal mod manager downloads to the former.

And the latter I mean they would probably put it in all versions, which even on Steam would put more eyes on it.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I think I just became his bitch?

e1a.gif

Nicely done

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey, he's got a .txt file packaged with the WAD, just like other map makers. I wonder what-

Just legendary.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
Is he still living in Galway? I met him and his family once when they organized a Doom tournament and got to play against him. He was sound.