• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why is John Romero making a mod to a game he made 25 years ago, and presenting it as something "new and revolutionary"? Just make a new game. Since he's selling it in limited quantities, can't Bethesda and Zenimax sue?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Should have had a real floppy there, LRG already included some with past LEs they made. Although I guess then they couldn't actually have the data to want on there. He also should have gotten Bobby Prince back for the music.
Definitely buying this, though.

Why is John Romero making a mod to a game he made 25 years ago, and presenting it as something "new and revolutionary"? Just make a new game. Since he's selling it in limited quantities, can't Bethesda and Zenimax sue?

He is making a new game, and no they can't. It's a mod.

trashkitty

Oct 30, 2017
How does one even get the original DOOM these days?

Would buying Ultimate DOOM on Steam be the way to go?

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So basically new Doom DLC, 25 years on. Cool, I guess. The music is good and makes the box tempting it is a lot to play for a 9 level pack with not much new except for maps and music.

How does one even get the original DOOM these days?

Would buying Ultimate DOOM on Steam be the way to go?
That will work, yes, though it would probably be best enjoyed with the help of one of the many source ports out there.

trashkitty

Oct 30, 2017
That will work, yes, though it would probably be best enjoyed with the help of one of the many source ports out there.

"source" as in, the Valve engine? Or a port made from the code's source released as open source code? I think I ran one of those over 10 years ago but I'm completely disconnected from what the best/most popular one might be these days (I know, I know, Google is my friend, I'll look into that).

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
"SIGIL™ is a free megawad for the original 1993 DOOM® created by John Romero."

Aren't they leaving out a few other people with regards to who created it...?

edit: Maybe I'm reading that wrong and they're saying the free megawas is created by Romero, and not DOOM from 1993.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"SIGIL™ is a free megawad for the original 1993 DOOM® created by John Romero."

Aren't they leaving out a few other people with regards to who created it...?

edit: Maybe I'm reading that wrong and they're saying the free megawas is created by Romero, and not DOOM from 1993.
It seems like that line is referring to the creator of SIGIL, not the creators of Doom.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"source" as in, the Valve engine? Or a port made from the code's source released as open source code? I think I ran one of those over 10 years ago but I'm completely disconnected from what the best/most popular one might be these days (I know, I know, Google is my friend, I'll look into that).

The latter. GZDoom (https://zdoom.org/index) is probably the one I see most-often suggested, and adds a ton of functionality to the original engine. You just need the WAD file from whatever version of the game you buy.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if its just a .WAD you could drop it into your modded console port of choice. Excellent.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Source as it from the source code. There are a lot of great ones out there but I haven't kept up so maybe someone else here can point you to the best modern one.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, um, literally nothing could stop me from getting an official Romero head on a pike figurine. That's the best thing LRG has ever done.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
YOOOOOOOOO This is fucking awesome. I'm so fucking excited. Holy shit. This is everything I could have wanted. I'm losing my goddamn mind.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
Thought about it on my way to work today. I preordered it. The thought of having this in my office makes me happy.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Crazy to see Romero tackle Hell maps with mid-2000s fan mod detail levels, but I love it already. His last two Doom maps kicked ass, and so will these. But I hope he's got a Doom II map set in the works for that game's 25th anniversary. That'd be extra neat.

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic. Really looking forward to this.

The WAD should still have the MIDI arrangement for the new music though, right?
Much rather run it through my SC-55 like I normally do with Doom, than use CD audio.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I was wondered if the new maps would had also new enemies types.
Oh, how wishful I am, but I am not seeing it....
They could easily put the enemies from the mobile games, like the Pinky Queen and the Skin-robes Warlocks.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
That's some awesome cover art.

As a kid, I always thought Doom ended after the first episode because I only had the shareware version and didn't get past it on SNES.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Neat, although I vaguely remember finding Episode 4 not to be nearly as interesting as the first. It kinda lacked the cohesive theming each of those episodes had? Bu I will definitely check this out when it launches.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Back when DOOM was revealed behind closed doors (and audience) at QuakeCon, I remember reading that Romero was so inspired that he wanted to make a new FPS or something to that extent. Is this the fruits of his labor I wonder, or a side project?

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For a game set to release last month it sure hasn't released.

"There were a few snags in production trying to make sure everything is top-notch for fans! I just wanted to let everyone who purchased either the Big Box or the Beast Box know that it is now looking like it will ship sometime in April. Thank you for your patience, and I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused," Romero wrote. "This also means the free version of Sigil will have to wait until after the boxes are in the hands of customers.