• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Fallon is awful, but someone involved in his show chose to air this joke instead of cutting it like they could have easily done if they really didn't want those comments out there... just saying.

A couple of people have said this (some with a very "you don't understaaand how TV works!" framing), but again, here's Oliver actively insisting his joke not be cut:

That's not him being funny. Oliver likely went off-script, and if Fallon's show had axed the bit, I'm sure Oliver would've had some things to say about that.

Fallon's people likely reviewed the bit, decided it didn't go far enough to be worth pissing Oliver off, and kept it in for that reason. I suspect in other circumstances it would've been chopped.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, it's the tonight show. Is a program made to sell you shit.

I mean, Fallon is a bad host regardless but there's nothing surprising about this clip. It's his job to promote Amazon.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
A couple of people have said this (some with a very "you don't understaaand how TV works!" framing), but again, here's Oliver actively insisting his joke not be cut:

That's not him being funny. Oliver likely went off-script, and if Fallon's show had axed the bit, I'm sure Oliver would've had some things to say about that.

Fallon's people likely reviewed the bit, decided it didn't go far enough to be worth pissing Oliver off, and kept it in for that reason. I suspect in other circumstances it would've been chopped.

If you watched literally the next 2s of the video, you'll see John Oliver immediately break out into laughter. It's the first 20s of this full clip.

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone shocked?
BU8.gif

He was likely scared he'd lose a sponsor
This. It's why it's been fuck Fallon. He tried to do the whole woe is me routine after this hour every hates him. You damn right you asshole.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you watched literally the next 2s of the video, you'll see John Oliver immediately break out into laughter. It's the first 20s of this full clip.

Wasn't in the clip in the tweet, so watching literally the next 2s of that video wouldn't have changed anything. I know, it's weird to think that I didn't go and seek out the entire Jimmy Fallon sketch.

Also, I still don't think he's entirely kidding, "breaking out into laughter" or not. The fact he brought it up again at all is telling IMO.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't in the clip in the tweet, so watching literally the next 2s of that video wouldn't have changed anything. I know, it's weird to think that I didn't go and seek out the entire Jimmy Fallon sketch.

Also, I still don't think he's entirely kidding, "breaking out into laughter" or not. The fact he brought it up again at all is telling IMO.
"I quoted an account literally called no context john oliver, didn't bother to look up the actual context that refutes the point, and am going to double down" is a take.

John Oliver is a progressive comedian and decided it would be funny to use his air time to take the piss out of amazon. Reading more into that is projecting your own wants onto the situation.

Oct 26, 2017
I look forward to people eating crow when we find out this was a bit.

I look forward to people eating crow when we find out this was not a bit.

There. Now I'm covered.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
what did you mean

i want to understand

Exactly what I said: he doesn't understand how these shows work, which has actually be explained in this thread multiple times.

These interviews are, for the most part, pre-rehearsed. This is a bit to promote a product (which "what is union busting" Oliver agreed to take part in). If this was some wildly off script moment that Fallon felt he needed to "shut down," it would have been edited out of the version that aired.

Oliver is laughing. They're friends in real life. They're being silly with each other in a stupid, unfunny bit. Nothing more.

He is absolutely -- unquestionably -- joking around. You're looking at a shortened clip on Twitter meant to create a narrative.

Do you honestly think that they would keep in Oliver "actively insisting" that they not cut his line?

The name of the Twitter account is literally "no context john oliver."

Last edited:

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"I quoted an account literally called no context john oliver, didn't bother to look up the actual context that refutes the point, and am going to double down" is a take.

John Oliver is a progressive comedian and decided it would be funny to use his air time to take the piss out of amazon. Reading more into that is projecting your own wants onto the situation.

Damn straight I am doubling down, because I don't think I'm wrong, no matter how much attitude you or that poster I already had ignored for other reasons sling at me. The video was already quoted several times in the thread. I didn't know it was edited that aggressively. I watched the following part in the clip you linked, and I still think he's only kidding on the thinnest surface. I don't think Fallon deserves the benefit of the doubt in this.

Say some garbage about "take your L" or whatever makes you feel good, I still think John would've torn Fallon a new asshole if he cut that part of the bit, and I think Fallon did panic a bit.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is so obviously a joke taken out of context. These Twitter clips cutting off 2s before the laugh couldn't be more disingenuous.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
It's bizarre how hate for someone makes people so dramatic over the most mundane thing

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Damn straight I am doubling down, because I don't think I'm wrong, no matter how much attitude you or that poster I already had ignored for other reasons sling at me. The video was already quoted several times in the thread. I didn't know it was edited that aggressively. I watched the following part in the clip you linked, and I still think he's only kidding on the thinnest surface. I don't think Fallon deserves the benefit of the doubt in this.

Say some garbage about "take your L" or whatever makes you feel good, I still think John would've torn Fallon a new asshole if he cut that part of the bit, and I think Fallon did panic a bit.
Take your L, my dude. Seems you're familiar with the saying.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will absolutely apologize for that, but that doesn't change anything else here. You're being willfully ignorant of the full context of the quote. Perhaps taking a break is not a bad idea.

I don't think you get to misgender someone and then act like that's just a totally separate issue. Whether they did shittalk a rich comedian or whatever, doing what you did, even completely accidentally, is magnitudes worse.

Last edited:

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018

Certainly a possibility, they may have ultimately decided that cutting it wasn't worth having Oliver come after them online after the fact. Still a choice to air it though, whatever the reason. If they were truly "panicked", I doubt that would have been the case, but I suppose I could be wrong.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Concern Trolling
I don't think you get to misgender someone and then act like that's just a totally separate issue. Whether they did shittalking a rich comedian or whatever, doing what you did, even completely accidentally, is magnitudes worse.
I'm willing to hold that L myself, but it IS a totally separate issue. Just because someone was wronged doesn't mean they get retroactive carte blanche to give stupid takes. I don't really have any idea of the poster's gender identity besides their pronouns and I won't be making any assumptions, but the willful rejection of nuance and context is exactly one of the tools used to oppress the people who want to choose their own pronouns. I will call it out when I see it. I don't really see the point in discussing this further in this thread. I would gladly engage in a more appropriate thread, PMs, etc.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to hold that L myself, but it IS a totally separate issue. Just because someone was wronged doesn't mean they get retroactive carte blanche to give stupid takes. I don't really have any idea of the poster's self-identification besides their pronouns and I won't be making any assumptions, but the willful rejection of nuance and context is exactly one of the tools used to oppress the people who want to choose their own pronouns. I will call it out when I see it. I don't really see the point in discussing this further.

It is a separate issue, but what you did is worse, flatly, and I think it's kind of selfish to go "sorry my bad" but then continue harping on something completely unimportant. Like, I don't think Jimmy Fallon's really going to suffer too much knowing one ERA poster doesn't like them, but misgendering someone has a cost. It's inherently harmful.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
It is a separate issue, but what you did is worse, flatly, and I think it's kind of selfish to go "sorry my bad" but then continue harping on something completely unimportant. Like, I don't think Jimmy Fallon's really going to suffer too much knowing one ERA poster doesn't like them, but misgendering someone has a cost. It's inherently harmful.
That poster's attitude and words have a greater cost than Jimmy Fallon's feelings. I think comparing who did the worse thing (and thereby trying to dismiss what the person who did the less worse thing said via this very argument) is missing the point.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That poster's attitude and words have a greater cost than Jimmy Fallon's feelings. I think comparing who did the worse thing (and thereby trying to dismiss what the person who did the less worse thing said via this very argument) is missing the point.

I'm saying maybe brushing off your own failings regarding someone's basic, easily understood gender identity but trying to go this hard on someone for something this innocuous is not what you should be doing with your time.

You're not getting anything out of continuing to rub this into Setsune's face, and, to be perfectly blunt, it feels like you're only continuing so you don't have to consider your own culpability in misgendering them.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Hold up, the word DUDE is gendered now? That is certainly a take. That isn't the case where I grew up but whatever.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up, the word DUDE is gendered now? That is certainly a take. That isn't the case where I grew up but whatever.

I feel it's the kind of thing where it's up to discretion of the listener, and therefore shouldn't be used casually until it's understood that they're okay being referred as such. If someone feels misgendered by being called 'dude' then we should respect that.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I feel it's the kind of thing where it's up to discretion of the listener, and therefore shouldn't be used casually until it's understood that they're okay being referred as such. If someone feels misgendered by being called 'dude' then we should respect that.
Sure, but it didn't seem intentional either way, even if you believe it to be a gendered term.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I can see that it could've all been planned, but that would also mean that Fallon agreed to a bit that makes him look like a dickhead which isn't really great either.

Off topic, but my understanding is that "dude" not being gendered is specifically a US West Coast thing. I'm from the east and I would definitely never call a trans woman "dude" out of the blue.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I can see that it could've all been planned, but that would also mean that Fallon agreed to a bit that makes him look like a dickhead which isn't really great either.

Off topic, but my understanding is that "dude" not being gendered is specifically a US West Coast thing. I'm from the east and I would definitely never call a trans woman "dude" out of the blue.
I'm from Cali so I guess that's it. I think you can just say woman though.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

That makes sense, because everyone out here calls everyone dude. Context of the word probably changes a lot more once you leave North America.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm from Cali so I guess that's it. I think you can just say woman though.

I think it's contextual? (From Cali) the form 'dude, blah blah blah) is certainly not gendered here and is much more an interjection than a direct pronoun in that usage, but someone saying 'my dude' in that way definitely feels like a gendered use.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I dated a girl in high school and her favourite celebrity was Jimmy Fallon... I had to watch so many clips and movies with him in it and he is horrible in everything he does.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I think it's contextual? (From Cali) the form 'dude, blah blah blah) is certainly not gendered here, but someone saying 'my dude' in that way definitely feels like a gendered use.
Either way, I don't think it was intentional in any way. I personally don't check pronouns before I reply to someone and I don't think I'm alone in that. To act like the poster did it intentionally and then to assume that they meant "male friend" when they replied is insanely presumptuous.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's contextual? (From Cali) the form 'dude, blah blah blah) is certainly not gendered here and is much more an interjection than a direct pronoun in that usage, but someone saying 'my dude' in that way definitely feels like a gendered use.
Dude is used in Jersey as a catch-all often enough. I sometimes go with dudette but I get looks so I usually default to good ol' dude.

"Dude" Derail

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Official Staff Communication
This is not the thread to be talking about whether words like "dude" are gender neutral or not. Stop this derail. Please respect your fellow users and take extra caution when using terms like "dude" and "guys" which have at bare minimum a gendered connotation, even if they can be used in a neutral sense. Don't make assumptions.