• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Pretty much feel the same way as you about Dream Theater but man, their new album was surprisingly solid after a slew of mediocre albums.

yeah, at its worst it's just some solid, inoffensive prog-metal. At its best, it's really memorable for a band composed of 50+ year old guys who aren't at the forefront of their genre anymore. Shame about LaBrie's vocal decay, though - it's REALLY noticeable on this album.

Images and Words is pretty much the only DT album I care to listen to now.

Awake is and will remain my favorite, I think. To me, it's a virtuoso album that disguises its virtuosism with really strong songwriting - something that, sadly, they forgot over time.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
YES! And luckily they're coming to a big festival near me next year. Definitely going to go see them!

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm down. I've been missing Frusciante on guitar for years. I'm just wondering why they're parting ways with Josh. Seems like they could have done the Iron Maiden thing and just kept all the guitarists. It'd make solos much easier to do live anyway.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of surprised they aren't keeping Josh around. He toured with them on Frusciante's last tour and they played some songs like This Velvet Glove they would not otherwise play. I'd love to hear an album with all 5z

Still, I love Frusciante, so this is great news anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, at its worst it's just some solid, inoffensive prog-metal. At its best, it's really memorable for a band composed of 50+ year old guys who aren't at the forefront of their genre anymore. Shame about LaBrie's vocal decay, though - it's REALLY noticeable on this album.
Really wish they'd replace LaBrie, as he's far past his prime. But it's obvious at this point that it will never happen.

He is legitimately the worst part of the band.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
LETS FUCKING GO

My all time favorite guitarist. I never thought I'd see the day he'd rejoin RHCP again, especially after he said not long ago he was focusing on electronic music rather than guitar. I'm so happy right now that he's back.

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018
I'm kind of surprised they aren't keeping Josh around. He toured with them on Frusciante's last tour and they played some songs like This Velvet Glove they would not otherwise play. I'd love to hear an album with all 5z

Still, I love Frusciante, so this is great news anyway.
Yeah, I saw them both at a 2006 RHCP concert and it was awesome

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe it. Does he just leave the band until he's run out of drug money and must rejoin to rebuild his bank account? I am hype for this regardless. The Chilis only make great albums when John is on board.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Stadium Arcadium is a return to funk rock, even if it has some softer melodic tracks.

I mean, just listen to this:

Stadium Arcadium is both eras of RHCP in a beautiful 2 disc fusion. It's one of their best works.

That's part of why Stadium Arcadium might be my favorite RHCP album. Sure, it's bloated but is a more refined yet bombastic exploration of all their previous work. You got the funky stuff like Hump De Bump, the hard rockers like Readymade and the more mature, melodic songs like Hard to Concentrate. It's a good collection of Peppers' different sounds.

I can't believe it. Does he just leave the band until he's run out of drug money and must rejoin to rebuild his bank account? I am hype for this regardless. The Chilis only make great albums when John is on board.

Probably not drug money. He had a pretty pricey divorce, if I recall correctly.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's been so long, but why did Frusciante leave RHCP in the first place?
First time? Heroin problems.
Second time? Creative differences and wanting to try something new. His solo music after leaving was influenced by Aphex twin and hip hop producers.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
I have waited patiently for 10 years for this. I thought it wouldn't happen though because of John's feelings towards Anthony.

Carvel

Nov 6, 2017
Mainz, Germany
Amazing news! I can't wait to hear what this will sound like with Frusciante having turned into something like the Dr. Manhattan of music.

Edit: I guess this means no "early 2020 album" (source: their wiki-page, I have no idea, where this news originated from)

Last edited:

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Frusciante is a legend. I'm curious if he's going to incorporate some of recent solo sound into RHCP.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I legit didn't even know he'd left RHCP but this is great news for fans, he's a fantastic guitarist and I guess his replacement wasn't up to par (I legit haven't heard a RHCP song since Stadium Arcadium).

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Frusciante is a legend. I'm curious if he's going to incorporate some of recent solo sound into RHCP.

The rest of the guys have always talked admiringly of him and speak of how creative he is. He really seems like the creative lead of the band when he's in it. And they have a unique chemistry when with him. He left the second time because he felt he did as much as be possibly could within the confines of the band and then went on a decade long streak of hard right turns. So, I'm guessing he's got a lot of new ideas he wants to bring to the fold and the other guys are all excited by it. It'll be interesting to see who is the producer of their next record. Frusciante is more than capable. I always thought he should have stayed on as an album producer/player and left the touring to other guitar players.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Never liked Klinghoffer's guitar it always seemed to be in support and never lead a song. Really excited Frusciante is back hope they have another good album in them.

Last edited:

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Hugely disappointing , I want more solo stuff from JF which shits all over RHCP and AK's terrible lyrics and boring singing.

/Sigh

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Man, as happy as I am with this news, this seems like a really toxic relationship between the band and John.

Frusciante: "I'm going out for some smokes."
* Doesn't come back for a month *
Band: "He'll be back any minute, but you can be our guitarist for now, Dave."
* 5 years pass *
Frusciante: "I'm back."
Band: "Papa?"
* Kicks Dave out of band *
* 5 years pass *
Frusciante: "I'm going out for some smokes."
* Doesn't come back for a month *
Band: "He'll be back any minute, but you can be our guitarist for now, Josh."
* 10 years pass *