• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Spider-Man wouldn't have been the game it is today without that Sony 1st party exclusivity.

I love Spiderman. One of my favourite games of the gen but Disney could just have paid to have it made without the middleman. There's nothing that couldn't have been done on PC or the other consoles now or in the future.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Like I said, Disney doesn't have a ton of involvement with Marvel licensing. Either way, I don't expect another Versus game until well into next-gen. I think Capcom's done with new fighting games for the remainder of this console generation. We're just too close to the end.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
License us some more Star Wars games please. I'd be fine with 'indie' titles too, not every game needs to be a AAA money-sink

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Someone please reach out to Disney/Marvel and get the X-Men licence please.
And actually try to make a great game with it.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that really similar to Johnny V's former position there? Or am I thinking of Boyes at Sony?

Oct 25, 2017
didn't it come out that all the lootbox stuff in the star wars games was all on disney?
I mean of course it's Disney, and it's Star Wars, anyone thinking that Disney didn't have to sign in triplicate and give two thumbs up to make sure shit went through on that project should be banned from ever commenting on any news story ever again.

Oct 25, 2017
I love Spiderman. One of my favourite games of the gen but Disney could just have paid to have it made without the middleman. There's nothing that couldn't have been done on PC or the other consoles now or in the future.
This doesn't make sense. The reason it got the budget and support it did was predicated on it being a first-party title for Sony.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Hopefully Disney gets more serious about traditional games. The Switch, as far as I'm aware, has literally one Disney game on it, maybe two after Ultimate Alliance. That's it besides Lego.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
Drake is absurdly highly regarded by just about everyone I know about portfolio & partner management. What an amazing get for Disney - hopefully Sony had some idea of a succession plan in place. Huge congratulations to him, and I'm honestly surprised to see Disney making smart moves like this so soon into their next foray into games publishing. Exciting times!

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Disney x Diet Coke cans incoming
Too late ...

latest

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
This is off topic now and pointless.

Yeah it's pointless, because this was already addressed 12 months ago

So the story is 1000% true

Sony FP has the best pipeline and support system in the business to create big story-based games. Some people don't realize all of the support a publisher can give a developer, and that's true of every major publisher for every major game.

Marvel approached Sony, wanting them to do one of their characters right with a big first-party story game. They wanted to work with one of the developers Sony FP works with frequently, and even mentioned us by name to Sony as a developer who they felt particularly fit.

Sony approached us, we were interested (obv!), and they told us Marvel wanted us to pick which hero we most wanted to play with. We picked Spider-Man (obv!).

All real, all how it happened, no ties to any other deal or circumstance.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Licensed Disney games are coming?
He'll probably handle Marvel Games partnerships as well

He 👏 can't 👏 do 👏shit 👏until 👏 2024

I wonder how the licensing works, if a game takes 3-5 years to make if he could start finding devs and builing a roadmap now to start putting games out right away when the deals expire.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Licensed Disney games are coming?
He'll probably handle Marvel Games partnerships as well
Marvel had their independence regarding game licensing even when John Vignocchi held said VP position, so I doubt that it'll change much on the Marvel side of things unless we get another Disney Infinity-esque crossover. This will probably mostly impact Disney & Star Wars.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Feels like so many classic peeps have left Sony this Gen. Sutner, Boyes, House and now the Drake.

I think you mean at least some of the peeps who (at the very least) helped PlayStation at a very critical point in its existence? A lot of the goodwill people have towards Playstation is the direct result of stuff those four at least had their fingers in. Yeah, their departures have also coincidentally coincided with Sony now slowly over time putting out more of a... lets say, Classic era (or even early PS3 era) Sony vibe? It's honestly hard to describe. Between them seemingly killing off PSX and not turning up to E3 they've clammed up in a way that is a little unusual even for a console generation transition.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this leads to Disney licensing some of their movie IP.

I'd love to see a gritty and mature take on Mulan.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
So does this mean internal teams again or just licensing out their [massive number of non-Star Wars IP] to developers?
Either way, give me more Tron, and Turok if they still have the license for that. And Indiana Jones. Pay Ford whatever he wants to do voiceover, just get it done while he's alive.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yes. I love disney but hate how poorly they've treated their games division. Having someone so well versed in games should hopefully change things for the better.

Disney Infinity is dead, but bring back some cool crossover in the same vein without the toys since toys to life are dead now.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Please John, license out a new original Indiana Jones game. Use Ford's likeness and with a good voice actor soundalike. And for people saying Uncharted, there's only one real Indy out there and that other series doesn't have the ability to use whips.

I'll even take a Double Fine developed sequel to The Fate of Atlantis.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Please John, license out a new original Indiana Jones game. Use Ford's likeness and with a good voice actor soundalike. And for people saying Uncharted, there's only one real Indy out there and that other series doesn't have the ability to use whips.

I'll even take a Double Fine developed sequel to The Fate of Atlantis.

Lucasfilm controls this, not Disney.

Drake is not going to be able to help make your Lucas or Marvel dream games a reality.