• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Every dev feedback we've gotten on the PS5 has been very positive so far. Still not sure what Capcom's deal is (if that piece of info is even real to begin with), though.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
Wifi 5 is 802.11ac
Wifi 6 is 802.11ax

Wifi 6 is better in many different ways.

It's more expensive as well. And the reason it's included in the PS5 is probably wireless VR.
but unless you have a compatible router which has wifi 6, it will be using AC, or lower.

That could be the reason why it's included but its not a deal breaker in my eyes.

Wired will always be better than wireless.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Look, Digital Foundry explicitly said time and time again that they are not interested in console wars. Their only interest is in technology and how it evolves games. John in particular has made this abundantly clear on his Twitter feed and he keeps getting harassed by fanboys for praising either Xbox or PlayStation. The guy just loves tech and he will compare and contrast them. I don't think he's the man to lie about PS5 having surprises, especially with how quiet Sony has been about the capabilities of the hardware. For example, Sony's SSD custom controller is a big unknown and it looks like there's a DRAM module right next to it from the PS5 teardown video, which could have unforeseen benefits for SSD performance. All we have is conjecture until we see the silicon itself in action. The PS5 also indeed has faster I/O than the Xbox Series. Does that mean it's a better console in every way? No, of course not. It is, however, a positive asset to the platform. Microsoft has been incredibly transparent and open about what their platforms could achieve. We know the Series X has its own benefits and assets that give it an edge above the PS5. These are different consoles and both of these companies are achieving different goals, so there's gonna be surprises, especially from the platform we know the least about which is the PS5. It's not console warring, it's just common sense.

renx

Jan 3, 2020
but unless you have a compatible router which has wifi 6, it will be using AC, or lower.

That could be the reason why it's included but its not a deal breaker in my eyes.

AX from the PS5 to the HMD.

There is a Sony patent with a wireless HMD.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
Are we expecting the PS5 to be the lead platform of choice for 3rd party developers if these rumours of ease of development is all true?

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
What's happening in this thread? List wars, MS is some kind of underdog that needs to be significantly more powerful than the PS5 and DF being accused of having a bias?

I think this thread needs to get locked.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
[
A few numbers I crunched to show how things look to me when I compare both consoles.

oVIBxRW.png

As you can see, they both have strengths and weaknesses but what does jump at you, looking at this?

ps: the total USB b/w is the least important by far but I had to include something to show that PS5 has more and faster USB ports, including usb-c.
This is art.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Are we expecting the PS5 to be the lead platform of choice for 3rd party developers if these rumours of ease of development is all true?
I mean if it is easy to develop for and Sony become the leading platform in terms of sales again, it would make sense that PS5 would be the priority for their games.

Of course it all depends on how easy it is to develop for series X, how well it sells, do the Devs plan on bringing the game to gamepass etc. So there are a lot of variables.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

aside from traffic congestion/signal degradation Wi-Fi 6 could be faster than a standard gigabit lan cable. I'd probably still prefer the stability of a wired connection though

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
What am I reading now? Do some people really believe that Xbox is some kind of underdog?

That is the weirdest narrative surrounding videogames. MS, which has close to 19 years of experience as a console manufacturer, and even longer as a games maker, and which is so much more powerful an entity than either Sony or Nintendo (Zenimax acquisition anyone?) is still being painted as the David to Sony's Goliath. Incomprehensible to me...

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
With all the talk about wifi 6 being in the ps5 for VR, wouldn't the PS5 need 2 Wifi Radios then? One to communicated with the PSVR and one to communicate with the network?

May 10, 2019
A few numbers I crunched to show how things look to me when I compare both consoles.

oVIBxRW.png

As you can see, they both have strengths and weaknesses but what does jump at you, looking at this?

ps: the total USB b/w is the least important by far but I had to include something to show that PS5 has more and faster USB ports, including usb-c.

200.gif

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY

I agree that its not a deal breaker and likely meant for VR use. (Improved technology with streaming and wireless headset)

But I saw a video from Linus and he said that the WiFi 6 technology can provide hard wire like speeds wirelessly. Now you won't ever download at your max speeds due to PSN (unless they change it for next gen) having limits for all users but if you could easily get a solid signal and greater speeds using a WiFi6 router, that's awesome. Its all about future proofing anyways. You may not have the right home equipment now but maybe in 1 year or 2 you can make the jump once its cheaper.

Sony including this technology is only a win here.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What's happening in this thread? List wars, MS is some kind of underdog that needs to be significantly more powerful than the PS5 and DF being accused of having a bias?

I genuinely don't understand console wars. Now while one may prefer a particular console because that's what they grew up playing and are heavily invested in said ecosystem, at the end of the day, they're fucking video game machines. VIDEO GAMES. If you get so riled up that they have the need to passionately defend a games console, then you actually need a life.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017

oVIBxRW.png

This is a Meme, right?

Please tell me it is, or it will become one?

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I genuinely don't understand console wars. Now while one may prefer a particular console because that's what they grew up playing and are heavily invested in said ecosystem, at the end of the day, they're fucking video game machines. VIDEO GAMES. If you get so riled up that they have the need to passionately defend a games console, then you actually need a life.

Yeah, I think it's absolutely fine to have a bit of a bias but I'll never understand actually wishing for the other team to fail.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This is a Meme, right?

Please tell me it is, or it will become one?
LMFAO. i don't even know what to say to that one
Yeah, after seeing the speeds they are capable of, I am looking into an NVMe enclosure and a cheapish NVMe. I got some posts by Pheonix bookmarked, lol. I was gonna go straight external, but NVMe + enclosure looks to be the better deal.
yeah I just jumped on that setup. 1 TB for PS4 games and moving video to it are perfect.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020

oVIBxRW.png

mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018

oVIBxRW.png

Doesn't count unless it's in pie chart Form, sorry mate

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

oVIBxRW.png

Where is the Knack column??

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Wifi 5 is 802.11ac
Wifi 6 is 802.11ax

Wifi 6 is better in many different ways.

It's more expensive as well. And the reason it's included in the PS5 is probably wireless VR.
I don't think it's that much more expensive.
Like take Intel's chipsets which aren't the cheapest:
ark.intel.com

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Product Specifications

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 quick reference guide including specifications, features, pricing, compatibility, design documentation, ordering codes, spec codes and more.
ark.intel.com

Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (Gig+) Product Specifications

Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (Gig+) quick reference guide including specifications, features, pricing, compatibility, design documentation, ordering codes, spec codes and more.

Recommended Customer Prices:
WiFi 5: $9.00 - $19.00
WIFi 6: $10.00 - $17.00

Of course $1 to a bill of materials is millions of dollars.

Oct 28, 2017

oVIBxRW.png

hahahhaha

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

No, I think the chart was a nice twist and this baby has a little more life in it.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Oh really? That's awesome! I'm unnervingly excited to check this out.

Edit: Hot damn. That looks vastly superior to any previous Xbox UI, and it's streets ahead of the PS4's UI too. Nice work MS. Avatars remain hideous, but assuming the real world version is as ad free as the demo video I just watched, it looks like a genuine pleasure to use.
Yea I was surprised also. I haven't checked it out too much but there seems to be very little ads. And it runs great too, especially surprising as I've only got a One S. Sony needs to pick up there game a bit with the PS5 UI now, did the PS4 UI change much this entire generation?

Oct 25, 2017
That is the weirdest narrative surrounding videogames. MS, which has close to 19 years of experience as a console manufacturer, and even longer as a games maker, and which is so much more powerful an entity than either Sony or Nintendo (Zenimax acquisition anyone?) is still being painted as the David to Sony's Goliath. Incomprehensible to me...

They just freaking bought Bethesda for fucks sake.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I'm the rare weirdo who thought Knack 1 was better than 2, it had the challenging simplicity of old platformer, the platinum was fun to do. Knack 2 catered to journalists criticism, they complexified the controls and powerups, and made it way too easy for my tastes.

I understand the dismissal of the game from those who expected something like Ratchet, but the trailer never tried to sell a bigger game than a small AA platformer. The original trailer and interviews were very honest about the small scope of the game.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I only got round to playing knack early last year, didn't have anything else to play and had got this from ps plus.

I actually really enjoyed it. Played it on hard as many suggested and it was surprisingly difficult at rimes. Had me cursing it like it was a souls game.

Sorry is relatively simple as expected but it was fun and I had a good time.

Need to pick up 2 at some point as most seem to think it's better. Not sure how you get better than GOTG though 😉

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
Here to say I also genuinely enjoyed Knack 1 and I'm waiting for a sale on 2. I missed it when it went down to $5 recently, but I'm keeping an eye on you, Knack.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
At the end of the day, I think all that matters is we're going to see amazing things on both consoles. This new generation is the biggest leap we've ever had, IMO.

Agreed 100% but as you can see below some things will never change.

oVIBxRW.png

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
People jumped to the PS4 because the 360 had a horrid output toward its end while the PS3 obliterated Xbox with their first party exclusives. TLOU came out 6 months before the PS4.

Price was a factor also of course, but it will always come down to games for the hardcore.

And where the hardcore core the casuals usually follow.
Sony had built up huge goodwill with their games, and their messaging during the launch of the PS4 was excellent too.

People bought the PS4 because they understood that PlayStation would eventually deliver as they did on the PS3. And evidently they did.
This is just false. Price like Frederik mentioned along with brand recognition and the always online used game fiasco doomed the Xbox One. Xbox was in a good place first party wise entering last gen. They killed it on the 360. The Xbox doesn't have games narrative didn't appear until a little ways in last gen when we got past the initial cross gen release window. This generation they sit in a better spot value wise as they match the PS5 on price and have Game Pass. The Sony brand will continue to be what Sony leans on to sell their console and it is something MS will continue to struggle with overcoming although being the Fallout, Doom, Elder Scrolls etc. console will certainly help them a few years in.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is just false. Price like Frederik mentioned along with brand recognition and the always online used game fiasco doomed the Xbox One. Xbox was in a good place first party wise entering last gen. They killed it on the 360. The Xbox doesn't have games narrative didn't appear until a little ways in last gen when we got past the initial cross gen release window. This generation they sit in a better spot value wise as they match the PS5 on price and have Game Pass. The Sony brand will continue to be what Sony leans on to sell their console and it is something MS will continue to struggle with overcoming although being the Fallout, Doom, Elder Scrolls etc. console will certainly help them a few years in.
Regarding the 'xbox has no games' narrative, that started halfway through the 360 generation when they went all in on kinect, except for the usual trio of halo, gears and Forza.

I remember it well because I owned 2 360s (first one rrod) and ended up selling the second because there wasn't anything I was interested in. Was becoming a common sentiment online too.