• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
It's not like everyone has a gaming PC ready to use whenever MS has an exclusive, this "cannibalism" only happens among core enthusiast gamers, and barely even there, which are a tiny part of the whole market. Even here on this enthusiast board there are already 30% of console gamers who don't have a PC going by polls. Outside of the enthusiast groups I wouldn't be surprised it this percentage went up to 80%.

Microsoft's biggest battle is the Xbox brand versus Playstation brand, and that fight is not easily won without any clear advantage that could change the talk on social media etc. Without something that could get mainstream gamers to wake up and realize Xbox is kinda cool too it will end just like this gen. The Bethesda purchase could become big in the future but once any of their games are out it's too late, the market will have already made their choice. At most it'll be like Xbox One X, everybody knows it's great but few are willing to swap considering they're already so invested elsewhere.
But if the gen starts out by having XSX win every single DF face-off in a clear way... Then things could become interesting.

Small differences in third party titles will not be able to make a huge dent into users with PS4 libraries and friends on that platform though.

Oct 27, 2017
It's because it's the weaker console. Got to keep that PR machine spinning
rl4YiAI.gif

xoxoclvbs

Aug 1, 2020
I just think the funniest part of this thread is people telling other people what they will and will not notice regarding framerates and resolution and what not.

It's like used car salesman pitches.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
This was probably an extremely crucial generation in regards to locking people to your eco-system. Breaking people out of the 'other manufacturers' ecosystem is going to be difficult. So PS4 dominating by such a huge margin makes things a bit more difficult for Xbox going forward. It's all about grabbing the attention of the people yet to jump into either eco-system that creates a battleground as it were, where both companies try to pull them to their side.

Euan_1981

Apr 23, 2018
Are Digital Foundry NDA or something? they really not saying much on PS5 still nothing on the teardown feel off
In their live stream they mentioned how they couldn't just drop existing projects to do an analysis of the teardown video at a moments notice. I would imagine it will be next week sometime. They also said they genuinely don't have a ps5 or have signed an nda.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Small differences in third party titles will not be able to make a huge dent into users with PS4 libraries and friends on that platform though.

I often think people confuse interest in how games perform and the differences between versions as an obsession with getting the best version, where as just as often it's just interesting to see the differences and learn a little more about how the games work.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's because it's the weaker console. Got to keep that PR machine spinning
This is insinuating that John from DF cares about PR rather than putting out honest information. Not only that, but developers be lying to everyone? Of course it's not that. Some people have made their value judgement on the PS5's architecture for many months now, giving a false impression of its specs and are unable to accept that an unconventional engineering solution and mature SDK provides tremendous results that developers are more than happy with. The idea that the sum of a machine's parts is more important than just the APU seems foreign to some.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I've gone back to my Xbox recently for game pass and the UI is a lot better now. I think it's better than the ps4 one.

Oh really? That's awesome! I'm unnervingly excited to check this out.

Edit: Hot damn. That looks vastly superior to any previous Xbox UI, and it's streets ahead of the PS4's UI too. Nice work MS. Avatars remain hideous, but assuming the real world version is as ad free as the demo video I just watched, it looks like a genuine pleasure to use.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
People swapped over to the 360 as it released a year earlier, and was a bloody good console, people wanted that next gen experience. The PS3 coming out a year later at a high price didn't help, but the games on PS3 helped it make a comeback and eventually catch up.

The PS3 momentum then made the PS4 an attractive purchase, people knew what they were getting.
that was it exactly. MS started their long, long fumble around mid-late last gen - focus on Kinect, then a lack of first party titles coincided with PS3 gaining momentum, and that led into the disaster of the One launch/Matrick.
I loved my 360 so much, but bought a ps3 for exclusives. Eventually 360 exclusives were drying up and so much focus on Kinect meant I shifted attention to ps3, and then the crap messaging meant I didn't even consider the One.
They've fought back hard and done the right things though. They're back in it to win it.

GonXtreme

Dec 13, 2017
Moscow
The last time Sony had real competition from the 360 and the Wii, they came back with a console that was cheaper, more powerful, and was backed up by a bunch of AAA studios that they built up over a few years. You won't see that type of improvement again if MS leaves the industry.

Totally. The 360 was fantastic in almost every aspect, and Nintendo showed that they could still compete without going full on tech-wars with their systems. As you said, they really tried and delivered with Ps4.

We'll see how PS5 vs Series S/X turns out. We will get lots of games, that's for sure.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
His comment maybe wasn't aimed at people who hang out at forums and knows every technical detail about these consoles. To the general population I guess the takeaway has been xbox is more powerful.
Yeah, I can def understand that. Xbox has always been synonymous with powerful hardware among the causal audience..
I stand by my first statement though that better is always subjective, it's simply a matter of what kind of gaming experience you want.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
that was it exactly. MS started their long, long fumble around mid-late last gen - focus on Kinect, then a lack of first party titles coincided with PS3 gaining momentum, and that led into the disaster of the One launch/Matrick.
I loved my 360 so much, but bought a ps3 for exclusives. Eventually 360 exclusives were drying up and so much focus on Kinect meant I shifted attention to ps3, and then the crap messaging meant I didn't even consider the One.
They've fought back hard and done the right things though. They're back in it to win it.

A lot of people feel this way.

PlayStation isn't some insurmountable brand. People are way less brand loyal than likes to be made out on this forum. Sure, there are plenty of loud rabbid fanboys but the masses buy whatever

MekaMachine

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
Sony's PSU is usually rated 2x of power consumption. Xbox has much lower reserve.
PS3 had 400W PSU. 360 - 203W. Both consumed below 200 afaik.
PS4 Pro is 310W. 170W measured.
Wait but I thought 350 in = 350 out so both consoles have to emit the exact same heat... that's what they taught me in 8th grade physics :( ??? /s

If the difference is actually this severe maybe it lends some credence to that XSX heat output rumor. There were some complaints about how the PS5 exhausting in the back would heat up an enclosed cabinet quickly but wouldn't the Xbox do the same with its higher heat output?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
something tells me that John and DF give no shits about keeping Sony's PR machine spinning.
lol, There are some interesting takes these last couple of pages.

I often think people confuse interest in how games perform and the differences between versions as an obsession with getting the best version, where as just as often it's just interesting to see the differences and learn a little more about how the games work.
While the bottom half of your post is true, there is clearly an obsession with getting the best version.

On this forum at least.

Last edited:

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
Wait but I thought 350 in = 350 out so both consoles have to emit the exact same heat... that's what they taught me in 8th grade physics :( ??? /s

If the difference is actually this severe maybe it lends some credence to that XSX heat output rumor. There were some complaints about how the PS5 exhausting in the back would heat up an enclosed cabinet quickly but wouldn't the Xbox do the same with its higher heat output?
People really should not place consoles in cabinets with backwall (some even close the door though *facepalm*).
Xbox SX has advantage here though. It outputs heat on the side (in horizontal position).

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
lol, There are some interesting takes these last couple of pages.

While the bottom half of your post is true, there is clearly an obsession with getting the best version.

On this forum at least.

More like an obsession with having the best version.

My point was more that the loud fanboys are in no way representative of the wider community.

Price\power has way less of an impact then reading this forum would have you believe.

MekaMachine

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
People really should not place consoles in cabinets with backwall (some even close the door though *facepalm*).
Xbox SX has advantage here though. It outputs heat on the side (in horizontal position).

Yeah the Xbox has the advantage by exhausting through that giant fan and going pull instead of push, but its counteracted by the overall higher heat right?
But like you said, who in their right mind is putting their consoles in enclosed cabinets, I'm sure both are going to be super quiet and the difference in heat will be marginal.

It's just super interesting how FUD(derived from a hands-on comment) about XBOX is dismissed with such an asinine idea like 350w=350w, but 0 brain cell FUD about Sony has to be refuted with collegiate dissertations.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
More like an obsession with having the best version.

My point was more that the loud fanboys are in no way representative of the wider community.

Price\power has way less of an impact then reading this forum would have you believe.

Price has a huge impact to think other wise is crazy .
You can go for the value card but even then the price has to make sense .

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. The post I quoted though was specifically about the amount of these kinds of PS5 articles, many of which are from shitty fanboy sites, hence my answer.

Well regardless of how sites may spin what he said, it just came across as though you said John or DF was biased, as he is the one the quote came from. they are some of the most informed unbiased people I have seen and it's incredibly sad that John no longer posts here from garbage he has to cop just because of his job.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
User Banned (1 day) platform warring
A few numbers I crunched to show how things look to me when I compare both consoles.

oVIBxRW.png

As you can see, they both have strengths and weaknesses but what does jump at you, looking at this?

ps: the total USB b/w is the least important by far but I had to include something to show that PS5 has more and faster USB ports, including usb-c.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A few numbers I crunched to show how things look to me when I compare both consoles.

oVIBxRW.png

As you can see, they both have strengths and weaknesses but what does jump at you, looking at this?

ps: the total USB b/w is the least important by far but I had to include something to show that PS5 has more and faster USB ports, including usb-c.
Heh, are you being serious with this?

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

oVIBxRW.png

I find the fact that I don't believe this is satire depressing.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017

oVIBxRW.png

Now this is what I call ultra based

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

PSUs are rated for output. So, a 350W PSU will have an output that tops out at 350W. And that's where the efficient rating and efficiency curve comes in: it's how much of the power that is being drawn from the socket is actually being delivered at the output.

PSUs are, in general, the most efficient when they're loaded at 50% the rated output. For a 350W PSU, that's 175W. They'll usually be something between 85 to 95% efficient when working under that load - so, the PSU delivering 175W internally is actually drawing some 205W+ at the wall.

The difference between 175W and 205W is, as you can imagine, wasted as heat, as usual for electronics.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017

oVIBxRW.png

You started well, but you could have ended it after IO. Putting a % to features only one of them have is dumb.

If you were going to do it, you could at least include some xbox features. Would still be dumb.

Suspend multiple games: ps5 0%
auto HDR: ps5 0 %

RdN

Oct 31, 2017

oVIBxRW.png

Please be satire, please be satire, please be satire.

renx

Jan 3, 2020

PS5 is a IO beast and brings new possibilities to the table. People can take it or leave it, but it's a fact.

Other than that, PS5 and Xbox will have different geometry engines.
I yet have to see if the custom PS5 geometry engine isn't something specially strong.

Not hyped about something I haven't seen, and not expecting anything.
But it's clear to me that the PS5 has a lot more custom parts than Xbox, so it's also not crazy to expect "surprises" that some developers under NDA are hinting about.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

oVIBxRW.png

This is amazing, I mean this guy cherry picking is god-tier, I'm in tears LOOOOOOL. Had to stop my workout for a short while to catch my breath. Very definition of living in a bubble.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
MS isn't some poor underdog. GamePass is on the rise and they just bought Zenimax and its massive I.Ps, locking it away from the PS ecosystem. No need to pray on hoping that the PS5 is drastically inferior in power just because you pity MS or something.

They will do likely waaaaaay better this gen then with the XONE gen. They have the correct attitude for things like BC and games, are acting offensively and also have nice hardware.

Again no need to wish/hope the other side gets brutally demolished in something for the sake of "competition", I mean that isn't even competition anymore but wishing destruction on another. It isn't like Sony was arrogant in designing the PS5 and should be punished, they literally tried their hardest to tackle things devs desired and consumers complained about with the added bonus of things they assumed was going to be important for the next decade. Same with MS, they both tried their best in designing great boxes.

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
DF is doing PR spin for the PS5.
XSX needs to be way more powerful because Sony is arrogant.
Cherry Picking list in favor to the PS5.

Jeeeeeeez you people.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019

oVIBxRW.png

Lol.

What is wifi 5? and why is that a 60% ratio, lmao.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Well regardless of how sites may spin what he said, it just came across as though you said John or DF was biased, as he is the one the quote came from. they are some of the most informed unbiased people I have seen and it's incredibly sad that John no longer posts here from garbage he has to cop just because of his job.
No I was only responding to the post I quoted. There have been a ton of twitter opinions and anonymous dev sources over the last so many months.

In total agreement with you on DF - have never said a bad word against them.