• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Graphical differences might be minute, with the PS5 and Series X both having different strengths leading to certain games running better on one or the other.

But the SSD is indisputable, while the Series X will be fast as hell, the PS5's speeds wont be just "6v8 seconds", it'll be pretty considerable and to be honest I'm sure the user experience might have some advantages on Sonys console. Not saying the Series X won't feel fast as well, but, the speed is what the speed is.

The controllers are another interesting aspect. Now normally it can be chalked up to, "oh well it'll drop support like HD rumble" or that it doesn't seem that important but some devs and insiders say it adds to the experience quite well. I actually personally think MS will update their controller in the next 1-2 years to include these features in their standard pack in controllers, as well as their next Elite version.
This was my line of thinking too.

I think right now, is the time to put expectations in check about the biggest differences between the two consoles.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The only quirk in PS5/XSX relative performance is the super secret AMD cache-thingy. (which I assume the PS5 and XSX both use).

If that cache scales with clockspeed, and if it's "highly effective" then the PS5 may perform somewhat better than expected in some situations.
I don't think we should assume that, MS had already released the die shot and architecture papers that include cache sizes, so unless they skipped on mentioning a big L3 cache for the GPU and obscured it in their die shot somehow then i'd guess it does not feature the infinity cache.
As for the PS5, honestly i dont know, but if the series x doesn"t feature IC, then it is likely that PS5 does not feature it either, but at the same time, in the Road to PS5 video, Cerny has mentioned that one of the focuses that AMD had with RDNA2 is getting the data closer to where its needed (the closer it is, the less GPU stalling time is wasted), and the Infinity Cache would be the most fitting explanation for that (could argue that its about SSD access but the drive is still the furthest point that data can be in, so more cache is more sensible). Still, until Sony or AMD states otherwise, I would assume that the PS5 does not feature it either (could be that IC is only for AMD's big Navi GPU).

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
This is the reason I have gone ps5 as my main platform, unnoticeable graphical differences will not matter I just want to get into the game quicker.
Well its not like Xbox has a HDD. I doubt load times will be an issue on either.

I think when Sonys studios has had time to optimise their engines around this fast IO as a baseline, that's when we see the true benefit of their SSD advantage.

Not just first party either, I think UE5 might very well do certain tasks better on PS5.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Thread Whining
is this topic really thread-worthy

"people like the ps5"

"cool"

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
is this topic really thread-worthy

"people like the ps5"

"cool"

Why would it not be threadworthy? If it wasn't surely there would be no posts and it would drop off the front page?

Returning to the topic, I'm sure people will be surprised how close these two consoles are to each other in actual performance.

It'll be interesting to see the face offs, can't wait to see people try to pick the bones out of "Dynamic 4k" does the res change each frame? Are they utilising VRS? Temporal Injection? Checkerboard?

Both consoles will be fantastic.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I highly suggest you setup a PC connected to a 4K TV, set it to 1440p, then switch over to 4K and compare. The difference is huge and immediately noticeable, it's a lot sharper. Playing 1440p on a 4K is as bad as playing 720p on a 1080p tv, it's blurry and far from optimal. No need to downplay it, it is what it is.
Imagine if they did 1440p TV instead, best solution in term of res and performance. 4K Is A Waste.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
That might be true for the beginning of the generation with cross gen games and early gen games but the difference will show at the middle and the end of the generation like the One X and the pro

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but is there a chance the PS5's SSD speed can be used to actually help performance?

Like, say in one area of a game on Xbox/PC, it normally loads 5 room at once, the PS5 only loads 3 since it can load additional ones so fast, meaning the game can render a lot less content at once?

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
That might be true for the beginning of the generation with cross gen games and early gen games but the difference will show at the middle and the end of the generation like the One X and the pro

The gap between the One X and the PS4Pro is much bigger than the gap between the XsX and the PS5. That said, there will be some differences on a case by case basis.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Why such vagueness about "you'll be surprised"? Don't fuel console wars please.

It's pretty obvious PS5 performance should be very close to XSX, or at least close enough so that people won't be able to tell the difference unless DF tells them.

I mean, sure DF might think part of their viewers are console warriors seeking ammo, but if they're very close that's good for them too, because we'll need them to tell exactly what the differences are, or confirm there are no difference at all should that happen.

Either you feel confident enough to tell "they should be very close" (or anything else about one being superior to the other), or you avoid tapping into console wars rhetoric and should try to be a bit more careful with your statements.
If a vague statement like "you will be surprised" is fueling console wars, I don't think that's on DF. He didn't bring up Xbox whatsoever.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but is there a chance the PS5's SSD speed can be used to actually help performance?

Like, say in one area of a game on Xbox/PC, it normally loads 5 room at once, the PS5 only loads 3 since it can load additional ones so fast, meaning the game can render a lot less content at once?

I think that's the general idea down the line, once developers get more familiar with the console. The SSD is still considerably slower than the RAM but certain background tasks could be offloaded to the SSD.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
User Warned: Platform Waring
I play PC games at 1440p on a 55inch 4K LG OLED and the difference between 1440p and natively rendering at 4K is pretty big to me.
Golden eyes. I have a 77" and I can't tell.

If the gap is even smaller then it is today but the loading times are faster on ps5, then that will be my default 3rd party machine, always.

The loading times will always be faster on PS5. By a rather large margin. Closer to 2:1 ratio than parity.

PS5 is the superior machine because the difference between 5 seconds load time and 10 seconds load time are much, much, MUCH more noticeable than any drop in 1440p+ resolutions. Rez drops are the least painful downgrade once you get to 1440p and beyond.

Add the dual sense to it and the PS5 is clearly the better machine for those who don't care about gamepass.

No wonder devs are all gushing about it and not the more terafloppy SX.

PSVR2 and Dual Sense alone make the decision a no-brainer for me. I am against Human Interface stagnation in consoles. Microsoft really disappointed me there.

Last edited:

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
PSVR2 and Dual Sense alone make the decision a no-brainer for me. I am against Human Interface stagnation in consoles. Microsoft really disappointed me there.

Honestly at this point I think Microsoft is intentionally refusing to adopt new interface features as a response to the Kinect failure. They seem proud to not have features that are dirt cheap nowadays like basic gyro/accelerometers.

Dec 31, 2017
I
I've been using a 4k monitor for three years and don't see much of a difference playing on 1440p vs 2160p, and i'm sitting two feet away. The effect isn't as obvious as you think.
I didn't write what I did because it isn't obvious, I've done the test myself a long time ago. Doesn't mean stuff because unplayable, but people coming around saying it's not noticeable and that it's stupid to push for native res have no idea what they are talking about imo

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Honestly at this point I think Microsoft is intentionally refusing to adopt new interface features as a response to the Kinect failure. They seem proud to not have features that are dirt cheap nowadays like basic gyro/accelerometers.

And because of this, instead of gyro being as much of a standard as analog sticks, it is only present on Nintendo and Sony hardware and devs have less incentive to work on it than if it were universal.

I'm ok with skipping the DS4 touch pad. Yes it gives you like 4 swipes in one button but we already have lots of buttons. I don't object to it being called a gimmick. Possibly tacked because of smartphone games using touch controls?

Gyro aiming is factually better. There is no excuse. Microsoft just dragging everybody down with their inability to comprehend that.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
And because of this, instead of gyro being as much of a standard as analog sticks, it is only present on Nintendo and Sony hardware and devs have less incentive to work on it than if it were universal.
Honestly not sure how much of a difference it would make, considering not even first-party PlayStation games use gyro aiming and "hardcore gamers" freak out about having even the option of using motion controls in "serious games".

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. Because all those cross-gen games are probably only using <10GB of memory (CPU + GPU). The real next-gen games will use up to 13.5GB on XSX so the CPU will have to work on the slower pool of memory (notably in open world games). This will inevitably create some additionnal memory contention (on top of the usual memory contention) and reduce the total available ram bandwidth.

This won't be the case on PS5.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Honestly not sure how much of a difference it would make, considering not even first-party PlayStation games use gyro aiming and "hardcore gamers" freak out about having even the option of using motion controls in "serious games".

It's been patched into TLOU and Days Gone. And with the emphasis on DualSense I think it's going to become the standard for PS5 exclusives.

The "hardcore gamers" are going to freak out even more when they get their asses handed to them by gyro users online. And it might become a problem for cross play games because Playstation players will have an advantage over Xbox players.

I was a naysayer and doubter. I started playing Splatoon 2. I disabled motion and used analogue sticks only. I got ABSOLUTELY destroyed. I was forced to learn to use gyro. I saw the light. I now will use it in any game that gives me the option.

It's objectively faster and more accurate than using sticks. But not only that it's more fun, you feel like you're actually aiming. It's a win win.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

Even if gamers don't recognize it's superior for shooting, it remains great for casuals. I've seen humans play mariokart instinctively using (non-existing) gyros since super nintendo days.

It just makes too much sense not to include it. There are also games out there on smartphones that use their gyros that could be ported.

They should've spent the goddamn extra $1.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 and x1 showed differences on day 1.
So if there's a small gap on day 1, that's unlikely to change.
Yep, in 2013:
- COD: 1080p vs 720p (125% higher res)
- BF4: 900p vs 720p (56% higher res)
- AC4: 1080p vs 900p (44% higher res)
Later Tomb Raider DE: ~60fps vs ~30fps (PS4 usually having 20fps advantage in framerate so about 80% higher framerate).

Oct 30, 2017
I highly suggest you setup a PC connected to a 4K TV, set it to 1440p, then switch over to 4K and compare. The difference is huge and immediately noticeable, it's a lot sharper. Playing 1440p on a 4K is as bad as playing 720p on a 1080p tv, it's blurry and far from optimal. No need to downplay it, it is what it is.
I actually disagree. On my LG oled I find 1080 looks great, particularly with hdr, let alone 1440. Standard PS4 games like re2 look amazing.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
It's been patched into TLOU and Days Gone. And with the emphasis on DualSense I think it's going to become the standard for PS5 exclusives.

The "hardcore gamers" are going to freak out even more when they get their asses handed to them by gyro users online. And it might become a problem for cross play games because Playstation players will have an advantage over Xbox players.

I was a naysayer and doubter. I started playing Splatoon 2. I disabled motion and used analogue sticks only. I got ABSOLUTELY destroyed. I was forced to learn to use gyro. I saw the light. I now will use it in any game that gives me the option.

It's objectively faster and more accurate than using sticks. But not only that it's more fun, you feel like you're actually aiming. It's a win win.
A big part of the reason why I didn't like Horizon Zero Dawn was because I tried playing it right after BotW and the lack of gyro aiming was jarring. Nice to hear it was patched into TLoU(2?). I'll check it out.

Even if gamers don't recognize it's superior for shooting, it remains great for casuals. I've seen humans play mariokart instinctively using (non-existing) gyros since super nintendo days.

It just makes too much sense not to include it. There are also games out there on smartphones that use their gyros that could be ported.

They should've spent the goddamn extra $1.
Ah for sure I wish they would include it. But I have the impression it would be underused like it is on PlayStation, unfortunately.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not all TVs have equal upscaling. If 1440p looks terrible on your 4K display then maybe it's your TV. Also maybe you're sitting so near your TV.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
PS5 is the superior machine because the difference between 5 seconds load time and 10 seconds load time are much, much, MUCH more noticeable
Just for fun:
During 5 or 10 seconds I have the opportunity to drink a little bit of water and I won't even "notice" how long such a loading screen was, no matter the platform.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Just for fun:
During 5 or 10 seconds I have the opportunity to drink a little bit of water and I won't even "notice" how long such a loading screen was, no matter the platform.

If you think about it 10 seconds is a more comfortable time to drink water, your not even rushing it.

But in general most people can tell the difference between 5s and 10s easier than 720 and 1080. Whether or not they find it important is a different question.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
There is a ~25% difference in bandwidth along with the ~45% difference in CUs

The TF number comes from a combination of CUs and clockspeed. The PS5 might have less CUs but it partly makes up for that difference by having much higher clockspeeds. It also needs less bandwith and has the advantage of it being a large pool of same speed memory bandwith while the XsX has 10Gb worth of fast ram while also having 6Gb of lower speed ram. So Yeah the XsX has higher bandwith but the difference probably wont be too significant.

Again the difference between the One X and Ps4pro was much much larger than the difference between the XsX and the PS5. This has been known for a while now and it's not a controversial statement.

I think the difference in computing power between the One X and the PS4Pro was around 40% while the difference between the XsX and PS5 is around 18% with each console having their respective advantages in different area's.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Power supplies are rated by their output, not their input. Efficiency has no impact on their rated power.

Efficiency has impact on how much power is drawn from the socket in order to reach the wattage listed.

I'm saying that they probably went with a less effecient but higher rated PSU so they needed to spend less.

Edit: another possibility is simply that the PS5 is more powerhungry because of the high clockspeeds which impact powerdraw exponentially. And perhaps their I/O solution is powerhungry too.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
What was the timestamp please? Those never work for me.
And actually watching this this morning, earlier someone said this was about the heat. No, the context was about the capabilities of the console.

I'm just curious what these surprises will be.

I'm in for the quality of life, suspend/resume improvements, UI improvements. Everything else is whatever. The games will be there.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Efficiency has impact on how much power is drawn from the socket in order to reach the wattage listed.

I'm saying that they probably went with a less effecient but higher rated PSU so they needed to spend less.

Edit: another possibility is simply that the PS5 is more powerhungry because of the high clockspeeds which impact powerdraw exponentially. And perhaps their I/O solution is powerhungry too.

We don't know how much is drawn from the socket, we only know their rated wattages, which again is output. There is absolutely no indication that either one is more efficient than the other in terms of the PSU.

Your second point is valid though that the PS5 may actually draw more power due to the clockspeeds and drastically faster IO.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Just for fun:

So, slower loading speeds = better hydration = better health + nicer skin. So technically, The SX will make you stronger, more beautiful and you will likely also live longer.

PS5 pre-order cancelled.

Why do I not work in politics or marketing is beyond me. The BS flows so easily from my mouth.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
We don't know how much is drawn from the socket, we only know their rated wattages, which again is output. There is absolutely no indication that either one is more efficient than the other in terms of the PSU.

Your second point is valid though that the PS5 may actually draw more power due to the clockspeeds and drastically faster IO.

I know we don't know what either systems draws from the socket yet. Just saying that there might be a possibility that their powerdraw from the socket could be very similar and that the difference in the amount of Watts the PSUs deliver could have to do with stuff like headroom or stuff like efficiency and cost.

But i guess my second point might be more likely.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
The gap between Pro and X was A LOT bigger with 0 advantages for the Pro from a hardware point of view.

The Series X has the most powerful hardware, but in some cases PS5 has the advantage (higher clockspeeds, only 1 pool of memory) and of course the SSD. But it will take years to see what can really be done with that SSD.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Congrats Rich, John & the crew. I always have DF on during the day while I'm coding and it's really helped me get through the last few months of crunch time. Absolutely adore those folks.

Edit: D'oh! I thought I was in the 1m thread, but w/e, my point still stands. I love these folks and I'm excited for next gen!

Nov 4, 2017
So, slower loading speeds = better hydration = better health + nicer skin. So technically, The SX will make you stronger, more beautiful and you will likely also live longer.

PS5 pre-order cancelled.

Why do I not work in politics or marketing is beyond me. The BS flows so easily from my mouth.
Until you die of hyponatremia... Enjoy your death machine!!

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The loading times will always be faster on PS5. By a rather large margin. Closer to 2:1 ratio than parity.

PS5 is the superior machine because the difference between 5 seconds load time and 10 seconds load time are much, much, MUCH more noticeable than any drop in 1440p+ resolutions. Rez drops are the least painful downgrade once you get to 1440p and beyond.

Add the dual sense to it and the PS5 is clearly the better machine for those who don't care about gamepass.

No wonder devs are all gushing about it and not the more terafloppy SX.

Inclined to agree, based on all we know.

I appreciate the broad strokes of innovation happening around PS5, and I think we're going to hear a lot of shared sentiment around this once the NDAs drop and we get more games announced.

Just for fun:
If you think about it 10 seconds is a more comfortable time to drink water, your not even rushing it.

But in general most people can tell the difference between 5s and 10s easier than 720 and 1080. Whether or not they find it important is a different question.
It's going to be more of a case of the feeling of near-instantaneous loading vs. whatever the average ends up being on Xbox which will be more noticable because it's not near-instantaneous. Once your brain starts expecting to just pick up where you left off within 2 seconds, loads beyond that will become increasingly more noticable.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
The TF number comes from a combination of CUs and clockspeed. The PS5 might have less CUs but it partly makes up for that difference by having much higher clockspeeds. It also needs less bandwith and has the advantage of it being a large pool of same speed memory bandwith while the XsX has 10Gb worth of fast ram while also having 6Gb of lower speed ram. So Yeah the XsX has higher bandwith but the difference probably wont be too significant.

Again the difference between the One X and Ps4pro was much much larger than the difference between the XsX and the PS5. This has been known for a while now and it's not a controversial statement.

I think the difference in computing power between the One X and the PS4Pro was around 40% while the difference between the XsX and PS5 is around 18% with each console having their respective advantages in different area's.

About bandwidth, you are forgetting that ps4pro targeted about half -or lower- the resolutions that xbone x did.
This time both are targeting the same resolution.
When you put this into perspective, then you can estimate again how significant will the differences be

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
About bandwidth, you are forgetting that ps4pro targeted about half -or lower- the resolutions that xbone x did.
This time both are targeting the same resolution.
When you put this into perspective, then you can estimate again how significant will the differences be

The PS4Pro had 8 gigs of ram while the X had 12. The Pro had a 4.2TF gpu while the One X has a 6TF Gpu. The One X also had a faster CPU.
Really i'm telling you that the PS5 and XsX are in no way comparible to the One X and PS4Pro.

As for resolutions, i'm pretty sure that this gen will mostly be dealing with dynamic resolutions rather than native resolutions.

The difference is much much smaller between the PS5 and the XsX like many have pointed out plenty of times.
Anyone expecting there to be differences on the level of the PS4Pro vs One X are misinformed.

Last edited: