• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Understood. I am really interested in the liquid metal cooling.

btw I edited my post a bit.
Yeah, only a month away before we see in-game comparisons and some of this can be put to bed. The mess in this thread can be summed up with:
ODt4ZE5d2hajjdjjBlY1VMnbOZA=.gif

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
On old games subnative was easier to notice, but now everything is wibbly wobbly timey wimey pixel accumulation anti aliased and kinda soft / "filmic" as a rule so yeah it's way harder to notice.

Resolution is the simplest way to scale - although it's certainly also possible that the Xbox version could have equivalent (or even marginally lower) res but push certain effects a little more. There's never any one-size-fits-all solution and more power is never bad.
I think the biggest jump would be for those who are currently playing games at 1080p. Literally any resolution over this would represent a significant upgrade - even 1440p.

But when you're talking about 2160p and 1800p, you're grasping at straws. You will quickly forget about 'the native 4k' when playing your favourite game after 5 minutes, and this is a fact.

To be honest I prefer native 4k wherever I can, but I would never sacrifice 60FPS to obtain this goal. In any case, I found 75-80% of 4K to be a more than acceptable compromise for my PC.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Well ~6 years ago we had people on the other site saying that playing games on the OG Xbox One literally made them *physically ill*, so I won't be surprised about almost any level of rhetoric around any performance difference.

That was also absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. While I could see a difference in some of those early PS4/Xbox One comparisons, I'd still argue it was relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. It's not like the games were markedly different or anything!

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me, it seems that people want to think there won't be a difference . 20 percent, is still 20 percent. That isn't a meaningless percentage
It's 16.5% (1/6th). There will be a difference sometimes, but the two are close enough where it will be very small in a worst case scenario and there will be times when the PS5 outperforms. That even happened with the 43% difference between X and Pro. The differences generally were very little outside of resolution, and outside of some outliers, the difference wasn't very big there either most of the time. Resolution, when we're talking two high resolutions, doesn't amount to a big difference visibly even when there's a big difference in actual pixel count. Now, we're talking about a far smaller gap.

If MS really pushes the 4k envelope, it could end up as a detriment with worse performing games. This seemed to be their chosen path with X, and I hope it doesn't stay the same.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
It's 16.5% (1/6th). There will be a difference sometimes, but the two are close enough where it will be very small in a worst case scenario and there will be times when the PS5 outperforms. That even happened with the 43% difference between X and Pro. The differences generally were very little outside of resolution, and outside of some outliers, the difference wasn't very big there either most of the time. Resolution, when we're talking two high resolutions, doesn't amount to a big difference visibly. Now, we're talking about a far smaller gap.

If MS really pushes the 4k envelope, it could end up as a detriment with worse performing games. This seemed to be their chosen path with X, and I hope it doesn't stay the same.
I'm not sure why people are expecting ps5 to perform better in some cases when series x has a better gpu, cpu and faster ram
Pro had some framerate advantages yes , but that was because of the huge gap in resolution.

I also hope that isn't the case again.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why people are expecting ps5 to perform better in some cases when series x has a better gpu, cpu and faster ram
Pro had some framerate advantages yes , but that was because of the huge gap in resolution.

I actually already explained it. If we have a difference of say 1800p vs 4k, this difference would give PS5 a processing power edge for other things since a disproportionate amount of power is being put towards resolution. This would result in higher resolution vs. better frame rate sort of thing.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
There's about a ~30% gap between the PS4 Pro and One X right now and in a lot of cases you do need to zoom in to spot any differences, especially these days when we're dealing with dynamic resolution scaling and image reconstruction techniques.

The gap between the PS5 and XSX is even lower, something like 16%. Not saying there won't be differences between both systems playing the same games, but people are lying to themselves if they think there's going to be some big noticeable gulf.
You don't have to zoom in to see differences. Digital Foundry has been quite clear that they do this for people who are watching on phones and smaller devices. There will continue to be visible differences between games even if small. Whether that matters to people is up to the individual.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
It's 16.5% (1/6th). There will be a difference sometimes, but the two are close enough where it will be very small in a worst case scenario and there will be times when the PS5 outperforms. That even happened with the 43% difference between X and Pro. The differences generally were very little outside of resolution, and outside of some outliers, the difference wasn't very big there either most of the time. Resolution, when we're talking two high resolutions, doesn't amount to a big difference visibly even when there's a big difference in actual pixel count. Now, we're talking about a far smaller gap.

If you read latest MS interviews, according to their data, people keep going for the "feels" rather than fidelity in game options.

MS will target framerate hard this gen. 60 to 120fps. Won't be forced but they will definitely go for it all the time even with their cinematic games imo.

They want to mimic the PC experience where framerate is king.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It tells me that series x will most likely render at a higher base resolution. Meaning dlss techniques on series x will still look better
That is not what my post was about - I was simply referring to the fact that the differences (4K vs near 4K) are not as great as you are making them out to be. Go test it out in the real world. Do you have a 4K TV and a capable PC? Of course, native beats everything. But 4K is also incredibly resource intensive, and isn't worth it just for the sake of having 4K.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you read latest MS interviews, according to their data, people keep going for the "feels" rather than fidelity in game options.

MS will target framerate hard this gen. 60 to 120fps. Won't be forced but they will definitely go for it all the time even with their cinematic games imo.

They want to mimic the PC experience where framerate is king.
That's cool. However, third party is always a wild card with this sort of thing.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Its not about convincing. Its a fact that series x is the more powerful console . Believe it or not .

I'm not sure what point you're evening trying to argue anymore? It seems you're fixated on the fact that there'll be a difference between PS5 and Xbox Series X, which, yes, there will be.

But I feel other people are trying to point out to you that it's likely to be so imperceptible that it may not even matter. Ultimately, if you're going to rely on Digital Foundry to invest several man hours counting pixels, magnifying assets, and using software to read the framerate then... Yeah, you're right, there'll be a difference!

For most human beings looking to enjoy a video game, though, the reality is that they're going to be so close that it's going to be borderline impossible for 98% of people to see any kind of difference at all.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I actually already explained it. If we have a difference of say 1800p vs 4k, this difference would give PS5 a processing power edge for other things since a disproportionate amount of power is being put towards resolution. This would result in higher resolution vs. better frame rate sort of thing.
Or they could be the same res with a fr advantage on series x

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018

While I expect the XSX to slightly outperform the PS5 generally, you are making a whole heck of a lot of assumptions based on some extremely basic information. This isn't people arguing 1+1 is higher than 2+1. This is people saying on paper these consoles are really close, but little differences in things like IO, split channel memory, etc. are really important factors just like GPU/CPU speeds are. It's possible the fundamental way games are designed take advantage of some of the hardware efficiencies present in the slightly less powerful consoles. It could be developers will make subtle changes to PS5 and XSX versions of games that makes direct comparison more subjective than objective. It could be the XSX consistently outperforms PS5 regardless. However, I think you do yourself a disservice by saying, "Xbox is better in these areas, end of discussion."

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
That was also absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. While I could see a difference in some of those early PS4/Xbox One comparisons, I'd still argue it was relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. It's not like the games were markedly different or anything!
Someone in another thread said something about "last time we had a new gen we had people comparing the number of random bushes in GTA V" and I thought I remember that exact thread! LOL.

It'll happen again, I'm sure.

To me, as long as we have locked framerates I'm good.

Mercuryvoid

Nov 1, 2017
I think people are talking about two different things here. Yes, on paper, XSX have higher numbers on couple of hardware. Yes, PS5 also have higher numbers on other hardware. That is a fact. Whether that will translate to 1:1 difference in actual gameplay, is debatable, because right now, there is no way to confirm. That is also a fact.

Then, the is that really something that matters to casual gamers? I don't think so. We buy console for the games and social circle, especially for multiplayer games. This debacle is going in circles without any ending, because people are talking about difference stuff.

Back to the main topic, I wonder what kind of surprise these developers are talking about.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
I hope Chad Warren and that guy with the million gamerscore and I don't know, whoever was insane about the Wii are all safe and sound wherever they are. Perhaps sitting around a giant, stone table, locked in debate like Arthur's knights.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
Just to chime in regarding resolution. I do think most people won't notice the difference at all. Look at the Demons souls footage, no one questioned the resolution until DF counted it, and they kinda dismissed it due to the prestine IQ. Who before DF counted it said that's 100% 1440p? Not many.....

Jul 10, 2020
So does this mean that Xbox Series X will NEVER have a "plays best on" then?

I mean aside from the first party stuff.

Or am I thinking about this is in too black and white? It's literally going to be loading/controller features over frame rate and graphical features isn't it?