• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
No, the difference is smaller - it's a 18% GPU gap this generation v. 42% last generation.

I figured mathematically 1.31TF & 12 CUs vs 1.84TF & 18 CUs was a closer gap than 10.28TF & 36 CUs vs 12TF & 52 CUs hardware wise.

There's definitely a much larger "numbers" gap there percentage wise. I guess all the in-between math is what I don't know (which gives the 18% ?). I guess just looking at those numbers isn't the correct way to do it?

I'm more accustom to counting these in PC GPUs and it making a pretty big difference...which probably doesn't apply here. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not expecting a huge difference, just looking at the numbers I expect something though. Can someone explain the math that generates the conclusions I'm seeing (note, I paid no attention to this stuff early on when we found out...I'm guessing all this was discussed).

Dec 31, 2017
Theres actually plenty of reasons why this could happen.

Take Crash 4 for example, while the framerate and visuals are pretty similar between them,the textures/shadows etc were based off the base versions. The base PS4 and base xbox one. Because of that, PS4 Pro has better quality shadows and more shadows despite the fact that the series x is more powerful, because the games are based on the base hardware. The xbox series s is weaker so this could happen here.

Or lead development being on PS5 since it will likely sell more.

Or the faster SSD leads to less issues with popup, which could exist on xbox series x due to higher texture detail.

Lots of factors could apply.
Pop in has to do with GPU not the SSD so that won't happen. Lead development on PS5 would probably still give a resolution/fps advantage on Series X anyway. And crash still has better frame rates on Xbox One X and is still the better version.
So I still don't see why.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
You know what I think, I think both of these systems have really impressive hardware and both are going to have a lot of great games. What a world.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Those are very specific examples you have there, lol.

CPU/GPU are closer than they've ever been, and SSD on paper is the biggest difference between the consoles. The controller has features that potentially change how gameplay feels. What interests me is whether DF will cover haptics and that stuff in their technical analyses since it might add to the experience in same way as visual and performance increases do.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
PS5 is a beast. XBSX is a bit more beastly but not by much.

The reality is they are both beasts and I don't think we will see the epic DF Foundry threads due to some of the embarassing state of launch year titles of the OG xbox.

Yeah the games are going to be near indiscernibly different this time around even if XSX is slightly ahead on paper. There will be no repeat of PS4 version + smear vaseline on the screen = XB1 version. :)

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
The closer they are the better for everyone really.

All I wanted was for there to be as few discrepancies between multiplatform games and it sounds like that's going to be the case. Very happy to hear.

And as others have echoed, there's night and day difference between the kind of resolution scaling we have right now vs what the scene was like when PS4 launched. That makes me care much less about resolution than I do performance. That doesn't make me one of those 120fps or bust types, but I would really like to see 60fps modes in PS5 games that don't sacrifice visuals. If that can be achieved with resolution scaling then I'm satisfied.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Not sure why people are assuming there is going to be no difference between these consoles . Xbox is more powerful and it will be noticeable .

A large difference most likely not but there will be a difference

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Both consoles will be great and both will have some amazing exclusives. I can't imagine anybody who enjoys games will look at both the PS5 and the Xbox ecosystem in 2025 and not see multiple amazing titles they want to play.

I'm expecting a golden generation.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Both consoles will be great and both will have some amazing exclusives. I can't imagine anybody who enjoys games will look at both the PS5 and the Xbox ecosystem in 2025 and not see multiple amazing titles they want to play.

I'm expecting a golden generation.

Yeah, I think this hardware is going to allow them to go crazy visually/effects wise on games.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
My personal opinion is that the dual sense will be a non factor over the course of the generation the same way all the other added features in controllers have been non factors every generation. It will be used in first party titles and most third parties will ignore it completely. Just like the touch pad, speaker, xbox impulse triggers, gyros, and whatever else Im forgetting.

Admittedly, I hope Im wrong, because it has potential.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I think both consoles will run great and nothing to worry about from both sides but why were people doubting Cerny? I think the guy is a genius in the game industry and the PS5 FUD throughout the year was baseless.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Pop in has to do with GPU not the SSD so that won't happen. Lead development on PS5 would probably still give a resolution/fps advantage on Series X anyway. And crash still has better frame rates on Xbox One X and is still the better version.
So I still don't see why.
There are hundreds of examples of the lead platform resulting in the better version despite being on weaker hardware. I concede the pop in thing though.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why people are assuming there is going to be no difference between these consoles . Xbox is more powerful and it will be noticeable .

A large difference most likely not but there will be a difference
You have developers stating the opposite right now, actually.

I'm sure when devs get more familiar with the GDK, itll even out. But I suspect some games may run a bit better in the launch frame than XSX, and vice versa, like this gen and the one before it.

Also, we know RT is a bit behind on XSX from multiple quotes.

Edit:

Won't be zero difference, won't be a large difference. And there will be some surprises.

and there it is lol

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
As it should based Cerny!

Can't wait for "It looks like it but it isn't REAL 4K" or "PS5 is holding back this generation" concerned trolling.
I can feel it as they creep up.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since the difference is negligible, which console will give the best graphics with their 1st party games?

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
You have developers stating the opposite right now, actually.

I'm sure when devs get more familiar with the GDK, itll even out. But I suspect some games may run a bit better in the launch frame than XSX, and vice versa, like this gen and the one before it.

Also, we know RT is a bit behind on XSX from multiple quotes.

Edit:
and there it is lol

Is GDK even finished yet? Last I had read Series X stuff was still being built on the XDK.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does he mean by surprised? Will most 3rd party games look and play better on PS5?

Oct 25, 2017
every gen we get some "yeah, x is weaker than y, but secret sauce"

it never eventuates

it wont be different this time around

you cant magically produce computing power from nowhere

in saying that, these machines are probably the closest we have had in many gens

the differences will probably be dyna res's dropping more frequent on 5, or slightly lower res shadows, or some shit that needs magnifying to notice

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
New temporal and AI upscaling techniques also make it moot IMO, allowing less costly rendering and high resolutions. It's only going to get more refined as the generation goes on, even if AMD needs to catch up to Nvidia.

Lets just hope some idiot doesn't try to sue Guerrilla Games again 😂

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly surprised that there has to be a topic just for this statement, but that's just me I guess. And yes, I'm aware that I'm on a gaming enthusiast forum.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
I work in telecoms and one of my colleagues visited a customer who worked on the LEGO games up until this year, I think he would have been at TT Fusion which has a few locations near Manchester which is where we are based.

He basically asked him, Xbox Series X or PS5 and he said a similar thing. PS5 is a fantastic machine and that would be his pick.

I know I can't exactly prove this without breaching GDPR so... yeh.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
What does he mean by surprised? Will most 3rd party games look and play better on PS5?
I think he just means there isn't as much of a gap as you'd think on paper. In anything other than SSD speed, there's almost no reason to believe PS5 should outperform XSX, especially in third party games that won't be mining the true power of either box. If PS5 was actually pumping out better visuals on third party games for one reason or another, we would absolutely be hearing about it from dev leaks. That would be too surprising a thing to keep quiet.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Noticeable is.a relative thing though. What is a huge difference to some, others may not even care, or see a difference.

But there is a gap in power and will be a gap in output. But at the end of the day, games are going to look glorious on both.

Yep, that's why I was asking--wanted to know their subjective criteria for it.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I still believe that it will be Sony's FP that will leverage their frankly astounding I/O throughput the best in due course, aside from what we saw from R&C.

They will seems most asked for this area to be strengthed. When I see IO mentioned in games I tend to think of density or dynamics and tons all at once.

We are are a few years since draw call problem has been resolved. Most devs have to be loving not being on jaguar cpus cause the gains just from going from them to ryzen is incredible. Even last gen on better apis draw calls were still limited by cpus not inherently both them and software. The limit is no more and devs can total flex up to that architecture max or whatever magic they can program.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
In short, both consoles will play games very well, and we should stop putting one down to prop up the other.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
My personal opinion is that the dual sense will be a non factor over the course of the generation the same way all the other added features in controllers have been non factors every generation. It will be used in first party titles and most third parties will ignore it completely. Just like the touch pad, speaker, xbox impulse triggers, gyros, and whatever else Im forgetting.

Admittedly, I hope Im wrong, because it has potential.

Absolutely incorrect. Given publisher consolidation and huge tie ups with third party publishers, you will see significant usage of dual sense features across the board. You are already seeing it with so many games and it is only going to continue with more third party partnerships and first party games.