• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
QnayTeCTzBDbAgKqqjSCuT.jpg
Hellblazer-1030x797.jpg
It was announced last week that Hellblazer would not continue after #12, and anyone reading this book is heartbroken. Simon Spurrier, Aaron Campbell, Matías Bergara, and Jordie Bellaire put in fuckin' work on this! It is the most critically praised book that DC is putting out right now, according to the writer, Si Spurrier. You can read his thoughts on the situation on his blog. Despite it not technically being a cancellation, the book wasn't given a fair chance, because it's been canceled before the first collected volume has even been released!

www.simonspurrier.com

Hellblazer: The End — SIMON SPURRIER

fear the algorithm.
It didn't make enough money.
That's it, actually. That's all. It didn't make enough money to persuade the right people, whoever they are, to keep it running. To take the risk. To let it grow. To wait - as conventional wisdom might once have dictated - for the first arc to be collected as a trade.

That's their right. That's the business, that's comics in 2020.

Doesn't mean we can't be pissed as all hell about it.

Hellblazer sold at least as well as The Dreaming, my previous book with DC's Black Label imprint, in monthly form. That was greenlit through issue #20. I stepped off that series with great sadness because the allotted hour had come. The story was told, a new project had been offered; it was time.

With Hellblazer: no. Wasn't time. Isn't time. Covid-19 arrived and set our funny, fragile little industry on fire. The margins shifted. The risk/reward relationship changed. Someone, somewhere, decided that, trade sales be damned, it's last orders at the bar. No lock-ins. No takeouts. Bones were cast, presumably an algorithm was consulted; that's that.

I've had books cancelled before, of course. It's part of the game, especially with franchise characters. You go into it with your eyes open. You make sure you ask up front how many issues you'll get, minimum, and you plan your ending so it can be deployed at any point. That's not a relaxing way to tell stories, but it works. Mostly. Sometimes it even results in art.

Frankly, I've been lucky. Whenever the axe has fallen in the past I've tended to be on the verge of itchy feet anyway. New ideas, new worlds, new stories. I like endings. Whenever I've received the instruction to wrap-up, it's felt Right. Or at least: it's never broken me.

THIS HAS.
If you have any connections to people who work in media press or comics sites, please pass along this tweet so they can contact the DC publicist and hopefully pressure DC to continue this run in some manner.

Hellblazer is an incredible comic from top to bottom. It's been a long time since we've had a writer that truly understands Constantine's voice, and it very much feels like Vertigo is still alive in some fashion within the beautiful work's pages.

Don't just take my word for it. Here are some other members of era with their thoughts on it:
dawg this just sucks. Spurrier has been working his whole career to do this book. Everyone from the Spiral, Elsa bloodstone,Doctor Alphra, Simpering Detective, all those flawed smart ass investigators he's been writing was warming up for this. He has the perfect artists for it too. This was the best DC ongoing since...Dial H for Hero?
[...]
I can honestly say based off the first 8 issues, including the first #1 special, this was seriously gonna be one of those GOAT Hellblazer runs like Delano and Ennis. We should've been reading this book for years.

We get one of the GOAT runs of Hellblazer - proper Constantine as opposed to the warm diarrhoea we've been spoon fed since the the original series ended - and they decide to put a halt on it. 🤦🏽‍♂️
Wow really?
Fuck that was literally DCs best book.
If you're a fan of Delano's Hellblazer this is definitely worth reading

It's my second favourite run after Delano so far

easily one of dc's top 5 comics. competitive for best. came in second in our community's Best Comics of 2020 (So Far) list!

www.resetera.com

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2020 | Basically pissing money everywhere!

That's too reasonable and organized for my brain.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sandman has a history of selling in the book market more than as single issues. The initial book market orders of the first collection must have been real low. I also have a feeling mature reader stories don't have a huge future at DC with the recent regime change.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
You can currently buy the single issues from your local comic book store or digitally from places like Comixology.
Special/prologue:

Amazon.com: The Sandman Universe Presents Hellblazer (2019-) #1 (The Sandman Universe Presents Hellblazer (2019)) eBook : Spurrier, Simon, Evely, Bilquis, Lopes, Mat, Takara, Marcio, Takara, Marcio, Peter, Cris: Kindle Store

Amazon.com: The Sandman Universe Presents Hellblazer (2019-) #1 (The Sandman Universe Presents Hellblazer (2019)) eBook : Spurrier, Simon, Evely, Bilquis, Lopes, Mat, Takara, Marcio, Takara, Marcio, Peter, Cris: Kindle Store

Issues 1-8:

The first volume releases September 29th. Buy it or ask your local library to buy copies.
Penguin House (with additional links likes those below)
Barnes & Noble
BAM
Hudson
Indiebound
Powells
Target
Amazon

Volume 2 releases March 30th of next year:
www.penguinrandomhouse.com

John Constantine, Hellblazer Vol. 2: The Best Version of You by Simon Spurrier: 9781779509536 | PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books

His own worst enemy... All across England, strange magical occurences are adding up to a bigger picture—but who's behind it and what's their game? Someone's been going around seeding...

Last edited:

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I love hellblazer but I collect trades of it, I used to buy single issues 15 years ago but hellblazer stories are always written with trade in mind and it's harder to read month to month than in a collected trade so i'd stopped a long time ago and would just wait for the trades.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I love hellblazer but I collect trades of it, I used to buy single issues 15 years ago but hellblazer stories are always written with trade in mind and it's harder to read month to month than in a collected trade so i'd stopped a long time ago and would just wait for the trades.
Totally understandable. I really hope you enjoy it when the first trade releases!
Ill wait for the trade.
Nice! You don't have to wait much longer for that.
Good shit, @Aizō can confirm that this series is lights-out amazing.
I know making a thread isn't doing much, but I just hope I can spread the word about the comic, because it and those involved deserve so much better than this.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really buy trades anymore, but I'll be doing so for Hellblazer. This whole business is a fuckin' shame.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I had not even heard of this series til now. I wish I knew about it earlier, I've been in need of some new DC recs for a long time now (all I've got are Strange Adventures, and recently Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen). I'll at least check it out now, not that it matters anymore. That's a shame.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Good that you like it OP but I read all 300+ Vertigo issues of Hellblazer and this run is a meh as it gets. The art is solid and his demon blood is mentioned, so this isn´t the Prime Earth one, but that´s about it when it comes to praise. 5/10 Tom Taylor´s mini has me excited though.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Totally understandable. I really hope you enjoy it when the first trade releases!

Nice! You don't have to wait much longer for that.

I know making a thread isn't doing much, but I just hope I can spread the word about the comic, because it and those involved deserve so much better than this.
You have convinced me though, I'll buy the issues on Comixology. It might be too late but I'll help anyway I can to show there's an audience for more mature books out there.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Good that you like it OP but I read all 300+ Vertigo issues of Hellblazer and this run is a meh as it gets. The art is solid and his demon blood is mentioned, so this isn´t the Prime Earth one, but that´s about it when it comes to praise. 5/10 Tom Taylor´s mini has me excited though.
That's fair if you don't care for it. This is the first time I've read anything less than huge praise on this forum or elsewhere for the book, so I think that a general recommendation to Hellblazer fans would land pretty well. At the very least, people should check for themselves if they're interested at all. I think it's a phenomenal comic, personally.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Sad I never heard of this run.

I probably missed a thread or something, but can ComicsEra put threadmarks for lists like that Best of 2020 in their thread. It always feels like entire runs slip through the cracks for me.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
See, that's the problem with cape comics and why manga are outselling them on their own home turf despite the MCU boom. These things are so incredibly inaccessible. It's crazy.

Like is this happening in some kind of established universe, could I just jump in reading it and understanding it, do I need prior knowledge etc.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
See, that's the problem with cape comics and why manga are outselling them on their own home turf despite the MCU boom. This things are so incredibly inaccessible. It's crazy.

Like is this happening in some kind of established universe, could I just jump in reading it and understanding it, do I need prior knowledge etc.
This is the best jumping on point, besides the original Vertigo 300+ issue run. Theres a special one shot that comes first, then your set. No extra reading required, unless you want to check out the other books in the Sandman Presents imprint. Completely optional and doesnt take away from the book if you dont.

This was the book people have been wanting for years. Such crap that this is how it was treated. Couldnt even wait a month to see how the trades sold.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
See, that's the problem with cape comics and why manga are outselling them on their own home turf despite the MCU boom. This things are so incredibly inaccessible. It's crazy.

Constantine is a relatively self-contained character and title. At worst you just get references to old Hellblazer/Constantine events. Like long running manga would have. They do try to shoehorn him into mainstream DC stuff pretty regularly though.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Didn't they Already conclude Vergito's Contantine?
It's been relaunched a couple times since then. No DC or Marvel comic truly 100% concludes.
See, that's the problem with cape comics and why manga are outselling them on their own home turf despite the MCU boom. These things are so incredibly inaccessible. It's crazy.

You're not wrong that they're generally inaccessible, but this series is pretty standalone :)

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The only DC book I have been reading. I absolutely love it. Been waiting for a return to form for Hellblazer for a long time. This is disappointing.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Damn, I"m so far behind on Hellblazer. I've been slowly working my way through all the issues and I'm not even done the original the Delano run yet. But I'll definitely look into picking this up in trade.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Does the story conclude properly or will I be missing a proper ending to Spurrier's run due to the cancellation?
Check the blog post in the OP if you want additional info, but he essentially says they planned for this while setting up a couple threads for more issues they hoped to get to. It'll conclude but probably hurt to not see more, though it won't be on a level of what happened with New 52 Batwoman or anything.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
didnt read any of the new constantine after its original run
will check this out

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Is Marks of Woe the trade paperback what I'm supposed to get? Is it accessible for a new reader who doesn't know anything about Hellblazer?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will happily buy any collected volumes they put out. I'm a huge fan of Constantine, so hopefully they sell well enough that DC change their mind. 🤔

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US