• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Sad but true. People tend to always go back to tribal instincts. Fear and hate anything that doesn't look like you. Shits messed up. We should be past that.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
No, they're not correct to bring it up. Yes, it's an accurate statement, but it's also a disingenuous one since it's often used by white people to dismiss their role in the power structure because they're Eastern European white and not classical Anglo-Saxon white when both enjoy the same exact power dynamic in society.
We're capable of understanding that it was not brought up in that context at all, and was brought up in fact to defend against the false idea that there's any sort rationale behind racism other than hate and protecting power due to hate. Just because others pervert truth doesn't mean you have to assume the perversion of it in every scenario or project your assumption onto others, especially in a context where common sense would inform you that you're off base.

edit: I think my reply here was unnecessarily blunt and rude. You're right to be vigilant and skeptical whenever this comes up. It's also within reason for people to address it in such a way that focuses it on the hate rather than try to dismiss, deflect or otherwise minimize racism, which is what I thought was clear with the given post.

Last edited:

Astarte

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic write-up.

I also hope that people stop referring to John Cho and Kal Penn by their character names in time.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
We're capable of understanding that it was not brought up in that context at all, and was brought up in fact to defend against the false idea that there's any sort rationale behind racism other than hate and protecting power due to hate. Just because others pervert truth doesn't mean you have to assume the perversion of it in every scenario or project your assumption onto others, especially in a context where common sense would inform you that you're off base.
I'm also more than capable of understanding how often minorities giving the benefit of the doubt ends up biting said minorities in the ass when said concession is ultimately weaponized against them.

If you don't want to be lumped in with people who utilize phrases and points of view as malicious deflections from the point and topic at hand, don't contribute to the dismissal of minority points and viewpoints. You're delegitimizing grievances.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Not American, but I do notice a lot of people in the Netherlands feeling more at ease with discriminating against Asians due to Corona.

World is fucked, not sure how we can fix it.

Some people say "give it time", but it is mostly the younger generations becoming (or: openly showing) racist behavior.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also more than capable of understanding how often minorities giving the benefit of the doubt ends up biting said minorities in the ass when said concession is ultimately weaponized against them.

If you don't want to be lumped in with people who utilize phrases and points of view as malicious deflections from the point and topic at hand, don't contribute to the dismissal of minority points and viewpoints. You're delegitimizing grievances.
I think my reply was rude and I edited in some more, but my general thought remains the same. There's also a situation at head where there's multiple viewpoints from members of the marginalized groups being discussed here. Especially given the poster's view were further developed upon when agreeing with another member.

I'm sorry for my rudeness but I still appreciate their point.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I think my reply was rude and I edited in some more, but my general thought remains the same. There's also a situation at head where there's multiple viewpoints from members of the marginalized groups being discussed here. Especially given the poster's view were further developed upon when agreeing with another member.

I'm sorry for my rudeness but I still appreciate their point.
Don't worry, nothing came off as rude in your post to me.

I think you're wrong as all get the hell out, but not rude.

Pelleas

Oct 28, 2017
Got that wake up call.
Yep, no lies here--sorry you had to find out like this John.
Had similar thoughts when I read this op-ed

Pretty sure the guy that's one of maybe three recognizable Asian male actors in this country didn't have to wait for Covid19 to get that call. Thanks for playing into the stereotype that all us Asians think we're auxiliary whites.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not really a fan of the patronizing attitude towards Asians here and elsewhere when it comes to awareness of social issues and tackling racism. There certainly is a lot to address when it comes to complacency with the model minority role in the Asian American community, but the assumption that any given Asian American speaking out right now is getting a "wake up call" or hasn't already contended with racial identity is pretty obnoxious and damaging. John Cho in particular has been very vocal about issues of race in the media, so there's especially little reason for some of the comments in here.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Pretty sure the guy that's one of maybe three recognizable Asian male actors in this country didn't have to wait for Covid19 to get that call. Thanks for playing into the stereotype that all us Asians think we're auxiliary whites.

If you haven't thrown me onto the ignore list by now, just know I am sorry--I had no idea AAs were stereotyped this way, nor was it my intention to contribute to that.

In my initial post, I admit I was projecting--these last 4 years were a cold slap in my face, as I did have my head in the sand in regards to minorities and this country's true sentiment towards us.

Last edited:

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this always reminds me of that video about the children of Chinese immigrants that settled in the Mississippi Delta.

Around the 6-7 minute mark, they reflect on what they've contributed to the community and ask "are we always foreigners?". Viewing this as a wake up call for Asian Americans discounts that their community has been aware of this for generations.

It's always tempting to get comfortable and think you've completely assimilated until something like this happens and reminds you that you can't assimilate your skin, and that's a defining criteria for your status as an outsider.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, this is a flawed and dangerous outlook. Racism does not come exclusively from conservatives, and to say it does hand-waves the racism and xenophobia perpetrated by the left.

It's a big problem even on this very board, and it's not really acknowledged because it's being attributed to the out group.
I think it's important to realize that racism isn't something only done by people we don't know or like. When I was growing up, there was enough racism to go around considering I was in the minority of minorities. Everybody of every background was racist towards me. And that also doesn't mean Asian people aren't racist. I know many Asian people who are some of the most blatantly racist people I know. Racism is a huge issue that we must all tackle as a society. We must all do better and we must all have difficult conversations with people close to us.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Yeah, not really a fan of the patronizing attitude towards Asians here and elsewhere when it comes to awareness of social issues and tackling racism. There certainly is a lot to address when it comes to complacency with the model minority role in the Asian American community, but the assumption that any given Asian American speaking out right now is getting a "wake up call" or hasn't already contended with racial identity is pretty obnoxious and damaging. John Cho in particular has been very vocal about issues of race in the media, so there's especially little reason for some of the comments in here.
Thank you.

People on this forum are acting like Asians never knew. Like its 2020 and we suddenly found out just now, and John Cho is the only Asian who has "waken up".

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Define "white."

The ruling class will always find ways to divide along ethno-cultural lines. Back in the day, Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans, and anyone not consider White Anglo-Saxon were considered subhuman.
It's still like that in Europe. White people from poorer countries are not seen as equal to those in richer countries. Racists will prefer them over POC, but that's about it.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not in the US, but the feeling of 'belonging' is never something for others to give to me. I belong, whether others want it or not.

Pelleas

Oct 28, 2017
If you haven't thrown me onto the ignore list by now, just know I am sorry--I had no idea AAs were stereotyped this way, nor was it my intention to contribute to that.

In my initial post, I admit I was projecting--these last 4 years were a cold slap in my face, as I did have my head in the sand in regards to minorities and this country's true sentiment towards us.
I don't really like the idea of putting anyone on ignore personally, but that aside, I honestly regret not setting your post separately in my reply and answering it in more detail and milder tone, because it noticeably wasn't quite so patronizing as the others. That being said, I would like to apologize myself for being lazy with my reply and seeming hostile towards you.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I don't really like the idea of putting anyone on ignore personally, but that aside, I honestly regret not setting your post separately in my reply and answering it in more detail and milder tone, because it noticeably wasn't quite so patronizing as the others. That being said, I would like to apologize myself for being lazy with my reply and seeming hostile towards you.

Hey man, you don't have to apologize for anything--I need to be extra careful/clear what I say during these times, especially about this subject matter.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Asians knew they were 'the other' when the Chinese Exclusion Act, internment camps, Yellow Peril, and lynch mobs storming Chinatowns happened. No need for posters to be patronizing about it.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Thank you.

People on this forum are acting like Asians never knew. Like its 2020 and we suddenly found out just now, and John Cho is the only Asian who has "waken up".

The only reason why ANYONE is even batting an eye regarding Asian-American/Asian diaspora issues these days is because of "Crazy Rich Asians" and "The Farewell."

For the casual viewer or uninitiated who base the world purely from the media they consume, they've only just discovered a tiny snippet of what we go through, thus that sense of "new woke-ness."

Only problem is, things like what John Cho said are things we've always been saying - difference is that he has a platform to say it.

(Love the article - hits many of the right notes too.)

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
Yup. That's why the "model minority" myth never holds any weight. Doesn't matter how successful you are, how you talk, how you dress, what company you keep, or who you marry. You will never truly be one of them.
Yep. I'm hoping this'll open the eyes of more people. You can do everything "right" but in the end, it doesn't matter because you're different.

Also doesn't help that people get more offended at being called a racist or condoning racism than actual racism.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Define "white."

The ruling class will always find ways to divide along ethno-cultural lines. Back in the day, Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans, and anyone not consider White Anglo-Saxon were considered subhuman.
Yep. Or even just convincing lower income white people that they're better than any minority on skin color alone so they focus their attention there instead of at the rich white people screwing them over.

Whiteness is like Dave and Busters fun bucks: they built it up as a currency that they have total control over to manipulate others

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I'm not in the US, but the feeling of 'belonging' is never something for others to give to me. I belong, whether others want it or not.

It's practically impossible to let myself feel that way when for my entire childhood and adult life after 2001, I've had to put up with jokes from friends & people I've looked up to, and straight up accusations to my face from coworkers, teachers, bosses, and complete strangers about me being a terrorist because I'm a brown guy with a beard.

Sorry but the immigrant experience inside the US is very, very different. For both Asians like myself and Asians like Cho.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017

He was in a position that most minorities who attain any level of success in any predominately white industry and that is comfort. You get comfortable, you start to think things are ok and you are accepted and the world in general is in a good place. Until you get that literal wake up call that you are not accepted and the world is not ok.
Stay vigilant. That's my normal.

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017

Cognitive dissonance is a motherfucker, but ima let you finish.

Jun 10, 2018
Agree with the expressed sentiments of dismissing the patronizing comments as unfounded and dismissive.

As a non-Asian minority, I have no authority to speak on or on behalf of Asian Americans because I'm not in those circles, and thus, are not privy to the conversations that are undoubtedly held in those communities. Is it too much to ask for others to keep this in mind before they come across as condescending asshats?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Agree with the expressed sentiments of dismissing the patronizing comments as unfounded and dismissive.

As a non-Asian minority, I have no authority to speak on or on behalf of Asian Americans because I'm not in those circles, and thus, are not privy to the conversations that are undoubtedly held in those communities. Is it too much to ask for others to keep this in mind before they come across as condescending asshats?

This. Exactly this.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017

I know a mod already called this out, but this kind of attitude can fuck right off honestly.

I am not an Asian American, but I live in an area that has a very large population of Asian Americans, and I can tell you just through my own experiences with them around here that they are very well aware of the racist ass shit that is hurled at them from this country.

I seriously doubt that they needed to see this to "get woke" and I'm pretty sure that Cho's words here are aimed more at everyone that isn't Asian American, and yes that includes non-white people.

Pelleas

Oct 28, 2017
He was in a position that most minorities who attain any level of success in any predominately white industry and that is comfort. You get comfortable, you start to think things are ok and you are accepted and the world in general is in a good place. Until you get that literal wake up call that you are not accepted and the world is not ok.
Stay vigilant. That's my normal.

I'm guessing you're not QUITE so condescending towards other minorities in the same situation, but whatever.

I'm pretty much done here, but stay fucking (racist) trash friend.

Edited for pre-coffee posting screwups.

Last edited:

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, knock it off with the condescension. John Cho has been open about the racism he's dealt with as an Asian actor for years, and has spoken up about it numerous times. The fact that this is the first time you've heard him talk about racism doesn't mean that he's "woken up" or whatever.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
John Cho has been vocal about this for a long time. It's not new to him. This is just the time in the zeitgeist that warrants such an article. Asians have always known. It's just not as "worst" as it is for other minority groups in America so no one cares. The argument will always be "you have it better than x" so stop complaining. The fact is that no matter how loud this is, most people who aren't Asian aren't going to know. That is how much of the model minority stereotype has seeped in.