• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
www.latimes.com

John Cho: Coronavirus reminds Asian Americans belonging is conditional

I’ve learned that a moment always comes along to remind you that your race defines you above all else.

I called my parents a few nights ago to tell them to be cautious when stepping out of the house, because they might be targets of verbal or even physical abuse. It felt so strange. Our roles had flipped.

My plea mirrored the admonitions I received from them as a child growing up in Houston. The world, they cautioned, was hostile and it viewed us as strangers. So they warned me to stick close to my family. Close to my kind.

The fact that the coronavirus seems to have originated in China has spawned a slew of anti-Asian hate crimes. Across the country, Asian American parents and children are making versions of the call I made. Friends are sharing first-hand accounts of abuse on text chains and circulating articles on Facebook, always ending with the suddenly ominous "stay safe."

Growing up, the assumption was that once we became American enough, there would be no need for such warnings — that we would be safe. To that end, my parents encouraged me and my younger brother to watch as much television as possible, so that we might learn to speak and act like the natives. The hope was that race would not disadvantage us — the next generation — if we played our cards right.

When I became an actor (maybe as a result of all that TV), and really started to work, I felt glimmers of my parents' hope coming to fruition — doors were open, strangers were kinder. In some ways, I began to lead a life devoid of race. But I've learned that a moment always comes along to remind you that your race defines you above all else.
More at the link above. Lock if old.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's really awful that people are like this, but not surprising unfortunately. Especially since I can bet you the reaction would not even be remotely similar if the virus had just happened to start in a european country and not an asian one

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's generally conditional. While most people are okay, there are always people who will take any excuse to lash out at minorities to make themselves feel better.

CKT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 1, 2020
Yes, this horrendous hate crime is a perfect example of what can happen out there. This is why the WHO urged people to call it COVID19 or coronavirus, not chinese flu or other stupid racist shit our president propagates.

www.thedailybeast.com

Stabbing of Asian-American 2-Year-Old and Her Family Was a Virus-Fueled Hate Crime: Feds

Federal authorities say a Texas teenager stabbed three individuals in a Sam’s Club this month because “he thought the family was Chinese and infecting people with the coronavirus.”

CKT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 1, 2020
Conservatives value ingroup loyalty, and order more than liberals.

So things like diversity scare the hell out of them.

Things would be much simpler if everyone was white, Christian and there were only 2 genders etc.
It's their ultimate goal, a white ethnostate. You can see this in the people that trump surrounds himself with.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Things would be much simpler if everyone was white, Christian and there were only 2 genders etc.

Define "white."

The ruling class will always find ways to divide along ethno-cultural lines. Back in the day, Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans, and anyone not consider White Anglo-Saxon were considered subhuman.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, those post-9/11 "random searches". They used to flag your ticket. I was visiting colleges at the time and after a while could immediately tell if I was going to be "randomly" searched. I even started calling it out when they gave me the ticket a few times, and you could see them crawl into their skin and just say "it's random". Sure, lady. I started giving my bags to my mother before I went through security so I didn't have anything for them to search. What a great system they had going there.

This whole thing reads like a direct response to Andrew Yang's article.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The Asian diaspora will never be seen as belonging in the countries they live/were born in, no matter how much we "prove" ourselves. We're also a group whose concerns are easily ignored by those around us so it's up to the community to protect ourselves, whatever it takes. Sick of this stay quiet and take it bullshit peddled by Yang and his ilk.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Truth bombs in that op-ed.

That moment is whenever white people feel threatened.
Yup. That's why the "model minority" myth never holds any weight. Doesn't matter how successful you are, how you talk, how you dress, what company you keep, or who you marry. You will never truly be one of them.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The Asian diaspora will never be seen as belonging in the countries they live/were born in, no matter how much we "prove" ourselves. We're also a group whose concerns are easily ignored by those around us so it's up to the community to protect ourselves, whatever it takes. Sick of this stay quiet and take it bullshit peddled by Yang and his ilk.

Yup.

Yup. That's why the "model minority" myth never holds any weight. Doesn't matter how successful you are, how you talk, how you dress, what company you keep, or who you marry. You will never truly be one of them.

We're tolerated because we're 'useful', until we are a threat.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Oh god, those post-9/11 "random searches". They used to flag your ticket. I was visiting colleges at the time and after a while could immediately tell if I was going to be "randomly" searched. I even started calling it out when they gave me the ticket a few times, and you could see them crawl into their skin and just say "it's random". Sure, lady. I started giving my bags to my mother before I went through security so I didn't have anything for them to search. What a great system they had going there.

Haha this brings back bad memories. I was searched on every flight i took for like 2 years after 9/11. I vividly recall being searched 4 separate times on a single trip.

Eventually I figured out that it was due to a combination of factors, but most importantly because I was purchasing my tickets using my dad's credit card. More than anything, i was just disgusted by the laziness. Every single time, I'd think "you know guys, this searching thing doesn't really work if you're so damned predictable."

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Yep, no lies here--these last 4 years were eye-opening for me.

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

This reminds me of a video I watched a while back of a Q&A of an Asian film. One of the things that was very poignant was how Asian Americans are always going to be an outside participant of American society.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017

I used to have a coworker who was brown and had religious tattoos on his arms.

He said he got "randomly selected" so consistently that he knew their whole procedure by heart.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never forget that this government put Japanese Americans into fucking camps (same as they are doing now to migrants). Those same japanese americans who fought in WW2 with the US.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Asians always knew, we just have a shitty habit of keeping it to ourselves.

I fucking knew since was in middle school, in NYC.

Ya'll need to stop acting like Asian Americans live their life with their head in the sand all the time.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I used to have a coworker who was brown and had religious tattoos on his arms.

He said he got "randomly selected" so consistently that he knew their whole procedure by heart.
When this happened to me, they had a "secret code" on the ticket. It was really hard to decipher, just a series of "SSSSSSSSSSSSS" that was clearly present on my ticket but not my mother's.....not even a joke.

zabora

Apr 11, 2019
But I've learned that a moment always comes along to remind you that your race defines you above all else.

Unfortunately that statement will continue to be true for a long time and not just in the US but throughout the world.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White people have been doing this shit for millennia, but yet minorities are always thinking one group is better off than the next and that we don't need each other.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

To be honest, this is a flawed and dangerous outlook. Racism does not come exclusively from conservatives, and to say it does hand-waves the racism and xenophobia perpetrated by the left.

It's a big problem even on this very board, and it's not really acknowledged because it's being attributed to the out group.

Never forget that this government put Japanese Americans into fucking camps (same as they are doing now to migrants). Those same japanese americans who fought in WW2 with the US.
That's not the only thing they did, but it's one of the only things taught in school.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of an experience I had during grad school. I've lived in Alberta nearly all my life and someone said that I wasn't a true Albertan.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It's not just white people discriminating against Asians.

Same difference though. From a casual glance the bigger NYC media covered cases the perpetrators have been minorities (black, latino) but its been the exact white supremacist thought process through when you read about the exchange in the articles "Go back to your own country" etc. Absurdity.

When white supremacy decides to turn up the heat, its a domino effect of internalized racism. Hell, ive seen some questionable excuses here on Asian on Asian bias when people were defending their aunties boycotting Chinese restaurants.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

I'm a Canadian of Pakistani descent. With curious consistency, I have had random searches with a large percentage of my flights.

This of course isn't also counting the times my name has been flagged on the no-fly list where someone has to make a phonecall so I can check in at all.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They are correct to bring it up. Whiteness is a social construct designed to keep and deny power. If everyone was white as current views define it, whiteness would evolve to mean something else so that people would still be excluded.
No, they're not correct to bring it up. Yes, it's an accurate statement, but it's also a disingenuous one since it's often used by white people to dismiss their role in the power structure because they're Eastern European white and not classical Anglo-Saxon white when both enjoy the same exact power dynamic in society.