• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be Carpenter for sure. The Fly is amazing, but the Thing is even better. Add Halloween, They Live! and Big Trouble to the mix and it's no contest. Escape From New York too. Carpenter killed it in the 80s

Deleted member 50193

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
If we are talking about prime, I have to give the edge to Carpenter. The Thing is like the ultimate horror movie to me. Add Halloween to that and it's an unbeatable combo.

Now if the question was all genres and not just horror, then the answer is different.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Carpenter has made more iconic and entertaining stuff, but he got so bad later on. Cronenberg has some stone-cold classics too, but I really only care for his body-horror movies.

Gotta hand it to Carpenter.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Interestingly enough last night me and my bf watched The Fly and The Thing. I'm gonna give it to Cronenberg. While I really enjoyed The Thing and Halloween I'm not scared of them they're just good movies to me. The Fly and Dead Ringers are not just good movies they both managed to envoke a response out of me.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Love both but I'm gonna go with Cronenberg. The Fly, Dead Ringers, Videodrome, Dead Zone (and horror-adjacent stuff like Crash and Naked Lunch) are all so good

Can easily understand why someone would go with Carpenter though. You really can't go wrong here

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Carpenter made The Thing so I gotta go with him.

Cronenberg is definitely awesome though. Videodrome and Dead Ringers are fucking amazing flicks.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the other good body horror films from Cronenberg? I already love The Fly, and don't plan on watching Videodrome because of James Wood.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Crash vs Christine
The Thing vs The Fly
Videodrome vs They Live

You can't make me choose

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
What are the other good body horror films from Cronenberg? I already love The Fly, and don't plan on watching Videodrome because of James Wood.
Scanners, The Brood, Naked Lunch, Existenz, Dead Ringers.

But Videodrome is the body horror movie to watch. Yeah James Woods is a piece of shit but Videodrome is one of the defining movies of the subgenre.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Carpenter's films seem to be more iconic as a whole, but I've always seen them as being from the same directorial tree. Both use amazing special effects and loads their films with lots of social commentary. However, while they are very similar in some ways, Carpenter's films are often more straight forward and simplified in their plots compared to Cronenberg's.

I love them both.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the weirdness of Cronenberg but Carpenter was willing to play with more themes and filmmaking elements and genre styles when it came to horror. I felt I got more of a spectrum of material from him. Plus he made two of the most iconic horror movies in history that are inarguable, and I'd argue two more of them are just as iconic.

Scanners, The Brood, Naked Lunch, Existenz, Dead Ringers.

Also Shivers. I might say James Gunn did it better, but it's still a big one for Cronenberg.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Carpenter, but Cronenberg has had some bangers and never fallen as hard as Carpenter has.

Cosmopolis sucked but it was a hell of a lot better than...The Ward lmao.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Cronenberg never directed anything better than The Thing,

This is the closest thing we have in this thread to objective bullshit. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing Carpenter has done in the horror genre can hold Brundle Fly's puss-filled jock strap.

Only thing Carpenter has that comes close is Starman.

Edit: Also, all you Carpenter stans need to rep Prince of Darkness more.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, Prince of Darkness is fucking rad.

Anyone else's favorite Carpenter theme Christine?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Carpenter is the GOAT - Halloween 1978 is my favorite film of all time. Masterpiece of tension & horror.

OP
OP
Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Carpenter, but Cronenberg has had some bangers and never fallen as hard as Carpenter has.
I think it would be fair to say that Cronenberg is one of the few filmmakers of his generation who has never fallen off, sure, he has a few stinkers and, personally, I'm less than satisfied with his post Eastern Promises output, but he never had a long streak of pure garbage like Rob Reiner, Barry Levinson or even FFC.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Cronenberg's movies are in general thematically deeper than Carpenter's films, which are better as more straightforward entertainment.

Both had one hell of a stretch from the late 70s to the late 80s.

Cronenberg: Shivers, Rabid, The Brood, Scanners, Videodrome, The Dead Zone, The Fly, Dead Ringers

Carpenter: Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, The Fog, Escape from New York, The Thing, Christine, Starman, Big Trouble in Little China, Prince of Darkness, They Live

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really feel like they made similar movies at all, so it's a weird comparison.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
Carpenter's a great if uneven horror film creator.

Cronenberg's a great film creator who did some horror films and expanded out of the genre in weird and fascinating ways. Guy has more interesting things to say than Carpenter imo.

Love them both though.
I also enjoy Existenz more than the Matrix these days. Fight me. Death to the demoness, Allegra Geller!

Also, Cronenberg attempted to make Naked Lunch into a film and it almost kinda works if you squint at it sideways. Film has a look and a soundtrack too. Gotta admire his moxie there.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
The Thing is great, but the Fly is a better movie with a better pace, characters, climax, and execution. The Thing has higher highs (the heart attack, the blood test, "You gotta be fucking kidding") but its far too long for its own good and its final confrontation is dorky as hell.

Videodrome is up there too. Although, none of Cronenberg's other horror movies hit on the level of Carpenter's Halloween, Christine, Prince of Darkness, They Live, In the Mouth of Madness, and the Fog.

TLDR:
The Fly is the best horror movie of either director, but I think Carpenter's got the better overall horror movie run.

EDIT: And his music is just outstanding.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
As a whole body of work, I have to say Cronenberg is leagues ahead of Carpenter and indeed most film makers (IMO).

But Carpenter has made more iconic horror films.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Halloween and The Thing are better than anything Cronenberg has made, but Cronenberg has been of consistently high quality his whole career, while Carpenter's work is largely crap aside from those two movies.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think The Thing is the best horror movie ever made (that or Alien). So it is definitely Carpenter for me.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I think it would be fair to say that Cronenberg is one of the few filmmakers of his generation who has never fallen off, sure, he has a few stinkers and, personally, I'm less than satisfied with his post Eastern Promises output, but he never had a long streak of pure garbage like Rob Reiner, Barry Levinson or even FFC.

His son is showing a lot of promise. Possessor is an apple not fallen far from daddy's Videodrome tree. Might even be more visceral.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
As someone who doesn't really keep track of names... Carpenter since I can actually recognize his name from movies like The Thing.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Carpenter by far. The fact that he made The Thing (1982), cements it in my book.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This is insanely hard for me to choose and having seen 90% of both director's filmographies, it seems to come down to that Carpenter has the best highs while Cronenberg's career is a hell of a lot more consistent. If I had a gun to my head, my gut reaction would be Cronenberg.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Fly and The Thing are equally good for the same and different reasons. Cronenberg's movies are more cerebral and personal and I prefer those kinds of films.

Last edited:

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just about The Thing though.
The premise is who made the best Horror films in their prime.
So we got Cronenberg's 1975-1986
Shivers
Rabid
The Brood
Scanners
Videodrome
The Dead Zone
The Fly

Vs Carpenter's 1978-1994
Halloween
The Fog
The Thing
Christine
Prince of Darkness
They Live
In the Mouth of Madness

Had to put aside the excellent Assault on Precinct 13, Starman, Big Trouble in Little China and Escape from NY due to not being horror.

Cronenberg was nastier for sure, but more than half of his are rather ... eh (his early efforts mostly, though they sure had a special kind of atmosphere)

Last edited:

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Carpenter made the first fully synthesized slasher, a film so successful in everything it did that copying it became a billion dollar industry, as well as straight up the best cosmic horror film of all time.

You can't step to that.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Carpenter made the first fully synthesized slasher, a film so successful in everything it did that copying it became a billion dollar industry, as well as straight up the best cosmic horror film of all time.

You can't step to that.
Arguably Friday The 13th created the formula itself, in terms of shifting the slasher from the suspense and character focus of Psycho, Black Christmas, Halloween to gory kill set pieces and disposable characters