• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is your favorite?

• John Carpenter

Votes: 602 94.7%
  • Wes Craven

Votes: 34 5.3%

• Total voters

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
John is a God but fell off way harder.

Elm Street.
New Nightmare
Scream + 2
Serpent and the rainbow
People under the stairs
Hills have eyes

The Thing, Fog, EFNY and Halloween are amazing and just stunning filmmaking.
But I love more of Wes.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I give a lot of credit to Wes for his 90's turn with People Under the Stairs followed by New Nightmare followed by Scream

but Carpenter just has this feel, this textile feel, he has his hands on so much, music, editing, etc.

it's something consistent even across his non-horror works

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Carpenter for me as well. Besides the Thing and other iconic horror films, he's also got the extra weight of characters like Jack Burton, Nada, and Sutter Cane who were just as influential on my developing tastes growing up. Maybe those guys even moreso.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Whew, I love Craven, but Carpenter by a country mile.

Carpenter just for The Thing honestly.

Speaking of Carpenter...

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
At their peaks, neither one is even touchable. They were both masters of their craft. But Carpenter fell off a cliff later in his career. I feel like Craven's late work never got as bad as The Ward or Ghosts of Mars.

But Craven hit a genre defining film in 3 different decades. The Last House on the Left was a major game-changer in its day in the 70s; Nightmare on Elm Street breathed new life back into the slasher genre in the 80s after becoming knock-off after knock-off, & then again in the 90s with Scream. Plus, Craven was way ahead of the curve with the meta-horror trend that would take over in the 2000s with both Scream & New Nightmare.

On the flip side, Carpenter delivered just as many hits & went on a hell of a run from Halloween to They Live. His films create a much greater since of real-world dread even with films like Last House & Hills Have Eyes on Craven's resume. It's literally impossible to not love both of their catalogs. But given Craven had much stronger longevity than Carpenter has had, he might take it for me. Carpenter gets major points for creating some of the best music the genre has ever had however.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Wes Craven v Tobe Hooper is more of a fair fight IMO. Both have some absolute classics with a fair amount of stinkers.

In that same vain, John Carpenter vs Dario Argento would probably be more in line since both are widely considered the best of their respective countries & given how much Carpenter took from Italian horror cinema to make Halloween. The movie drips of Italian giallo.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I knew Carpenter would be winning this by a landslide before I even opened the thread.

Its not even a fair comparison. Carpenter is so much better.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The Scream series is one of my all time favs but... The Thing.

Also Halloween, They live, Big Trouble in Little China, Escape from new york, etc.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Carpenter is a better director than Ridley Scott and George Romero Combined, who are each alone better than Wes Craven.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Carpenter in a landslide. His movies are just cool.

I watch In the Mouth of Madness every couple months and it still holds up.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Love NOES but I also LOVE Halloween.

Hard choice until you begin bringing in other films by Carpenter. So in the end I had to go with Carpenter. However will always love Wes for NOES which brought me beautiful things to have built like this.

3JiXrjj.jpg

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adore several John Carpenter movies, especially The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China.

Wes Craven... I do like Scream. Nightmare of Elm Street is cool, but I can't say I'm a big fan.

Gotta go with Carpenter.

LifeLike

Oct 31, 2017
My vote goes to Carpenter.

The thing is an excellent movie.
I watched Christine recently and I forgot how I loved this movie as a kid.
He always has excellent taste in music for the soundtracks.

But his holy grail to me and the last good movie he made remains "In the mouth of madness"

youtu.be

In The Mouth Of Madness (1995) - Official Trailer

CLICK TO SUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/1reuGJV Follow us on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/scream_factory Follow us on FACEBOOK: http://on.fb.me/1ojljJS "A thinking...

And what a goddamm good intro composed by Carpenter himself.

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
In that same vain, John Carpenter vs Dario Argento would probably be more in line since both are widely considered the best of their respective countries & given how much Carpenter took from Italian horror cinema to make Halloween. The movie drips of Italian giallo.
Even though I love Carpenter and respect Italians horror, I can't really get into Dario Argento. I've seen all of them and the only ones I did enjoy were Suspiria, Creepers and MoH: Jennifer. Loved Michele Saovi films though.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Even though I love Carpenter and respect Italians horror, I can't really get into Dario Argento. I've seen all of them and the only ones I did enjoy were Suspiria, Creepers and MoH: Jennifer. Loved Michele Saovi films though.

That's interesting given Soavi was something of a protege of Argento's. Dario definitely is the definition of style over substance. But that's a lot of Italian horror. Fulci, Bava, Lenzi....so many of them were delivered the flash, the story tended to be second.

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
That's interesting given Soavi was something of a protege of Argento's. Dario definitely is the definition of style over substance. But that's a lot of Italian horror. Fulci, Bava, Lenzi....so many of them were delivered the flash, the story tended to be second.
Yeah I respect Italian horron contribute to the genre but it isn't for me. Have you ever seen the French-Italian film Eyes without a Face? It's where the Myers mask comes from.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I respect Italian horron contribute to the genre but it isn't for me. Have you ever seen the French-Italian film Eyes without a Face? It's where the Myers mask comes from.

No, unfortunately I haven't explored a lot of older French horror yet. Definitely an area I need to improve on as I've been spending most of the year adding to my Italian & UK horror collection.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
"To the next phase and to the next stage (uh huh) Giving nightmares like Wes Craven." - The rapper named SUL that Sega hired.

Could the rapper from the Burning Rangers theme song really be wrong? I mean... People Under the Stairs was good atleast.

Last edited:

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Good to see Cronenberg getting name dropped here.

Carpenter for me.

I'm recording this because this could be the last thing I'll ever say. The city I once knew as home is tetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion. A three hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire. I'm not sorry. We had it coming. A surge of red expiation will be our wake up call. Hope for our future is now a stillborn dream. The bomb's beginning to fall and I'm rushing to meet my love. Please, remember me. There is, no more

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
In The Mouth of Madness wields Lovecratian horror and its themes in a way that puts most films claiming to channel Lovecraft to shame. It's Carpenter's unsung masterpiece. Just a notch below The Thing, imo.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
I love both but when Carpenter nails it he nails it. His movie have amazing atmosphere and amazing ost. Prince of Darkness is legit on of the best horror movie. But when Carpenter misses (Ghost of mars and the yard) Its like really bad. I still love Carpenter.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Carpenter is for sure more talented and important but Scream is probably my favorite whodunit/horror movie of all time.

I enjoy Scream a stupid amount. I watch it once a year, and the sequels every other year or so too.
Tbh, Scream is more Kevin Williamson's movie to me. It's such a fucking good script. I cracked it open to link the first page as an example, but it's so hard not to keep reading, so I'll include the first 3 pages:

jdxWdBF.png

kGfBhq4.png

HRPLb1C.png

That scene is 16 pages long and all killer, no filler.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Big Trouble in Little China is my all time favorite movie. That alone seals it for Carpenter. Throw in Halloween and The Thing and it isn't even close.