• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good for you. I'm glad you enjoyed some of his movies and maybe you would have enjoyed this? Not sure why you keep replying to me telling me I don't understand something though.

because the point is that trevorrow version would be shitty, but at least somehow related to the other 2 movies.

contrary to JJ version that was shitty and totally unrelated to the other 2 movies.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good for you. I'm glad you enjoyed some of his movies and maybe you would have enjoyed this? Not sure why you keep replying to me telling me I don't understand something though.

I said you don't understand because we were talking about Duel of the Fates, which is a script that exists, we have read, and we know what happens in it. It's not some hypothetical story that Trevorrow might have written. He did write it. So when I said it would have been better than TRoS, I was talking in comparison to that.

A story that continues and concludes the story from Episode 7 and 8 would indeed have been better than an episode 9 that ignores them.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
God damn The Rise of Skywalker sucked. Imagine a movie so bad you're wishing for a Colin Trevorrow version instead. Let that soak in.
Yeah, honestly I would have been fine with a mediocre SW film that was just the new protagonists defeating space Caligula, and the nice message even a 'nobody' can be a hero.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
This shit was so much better on just a basic, functional storytelling level. Some serious hubris from JJ to throw it in the trash and give us what we got. Still bummed.
The reception from TLJ must have really scared Disney, that's all I can imagine why you would pick the trash heap that was ROTS over Trevorrows script. I mean, even if you don't trust Trevorrow as a director, that script just seems like a much, much better film than we finally got. I mean, fucking reviving Sheev via clones is what they thought would work better? Hollywood is just bizarre sometimes.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how honest and candid Boyega is in his interviews, and he's spot on about Black representation in film. I've been wanting to see a proper black protagonist in the Star Wars series since I was a little boy, and, well, I'm still waiting. Sam Jackson was a supporting role. Finn in TFA was a co-lead along with Rey, but then he got demoted to supporting cast in TLJ and Rise. I'd 100% be down for a Star Wars series (maybe Disney +), about Finn, where we finally see him fulfill his potential (it's Star Wars, and just because the Emperor is finally dead doesn't mean that the First Order and it's countless Stormtroopers just vanished).

What about Lando in TESB and ROTJ?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Give him his own trilogy. Or even a mini-series about hitting various galactic hotspots freeing Storm Troopers.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Imagining this script makes me think of a Tale of Two Cities. And better than what Dark Knight Rises did with it lol

wCjNwBx.jpg

"I see a beautiful city and a brilliant people rising from this abyss. I see the lives for which I lay down my life, peaceful, useful, prosperous and happy. I see that I hold a sanctuary in their hearts, and in the hearts of their descendants, generations hence."

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Imagining this script makes me think of a Tale of Two Cities. And better than what Dark Knight Rises did with it lol

wCjNwBx.jpg

"I see a beautiful city and a brilliant people rising from this abyss. I see the lives for which I lay down my life, peaceful, useful, prosperous and happy. I see that I hold a sanctuary in their hearts, and in the hearts of their descendants, generations hence."
It's a nice picture, I didn't like how they did the final battle, it felt stupid they could put up a fight against that big a force, (even for SW) and visually it was too dark and boring.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
This shit was so much better on just a basic, functional storytelling level. Some serious hubris from JJ to throw it in the trash and give us what we got. Still bummed.

Folks do realize JJ didn't toss this film in the trash, Disney was not happy with the director and script drafts he was turning in, and didn't agree on the direction he was taking so they fired him.

JJ delivered crap, but it wasn't his choice to toss out this script, Disney execs decided this and had JJ and friends come up with a new script late into the production timeline

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Folks do realize JJ didn't toss this film in the trash, Disney was not happy with the director and script drafts he was turning in, and didn't agree on the direction he was taking so they fired him.

JJ delivered crap, but it wasn't his choice to toss out this script, Disney execs decided this and had JJ and friends come up with a new script late into the production timeline
Wrong
www.thewrap.com

'Star Wars' Writer Chris Terrio Says 'The Rise of Skywalker' Doesn't Undo 'The Last Jedi' - TheWrap

"It's about taking the ideas that came from 'VIII' and trying to complicate them," Terrio tells TheWrap

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about Star Wars, but just film the damn movie at this point. Only, no Rey/Poe romance. Let Poe be gay, dammit.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Wrong
www.thewrap.com

'Star Wars' Writer Chris Terrio Says 'The Rise of Skywalker' Doesn't Undo 'The Last Jedi' - TheWrap

"It's about taking the ideas that came from 'VIII' and trying to complicate them," Terrio tells TheWrap

LIterally says they ignored the script and started from scratch. When he was fired it was because of conflicts of direction of the film, where do you think the conflicts were? The film only existed in this and multiple drafts that he delivered and Disney rejected. They were never going to shoot the script that Trev had done

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LIterally says they ignored the script and started from scratch. When he was fired it was because of conflicts of direction of the film, where do you think the conflicts were? The film only existed in this and multiple drafts that he delivered and Disney rejected. They were never going to shoot the script that Trev had done
"They" = Chris Terrio and JJ

He says nothing about Disney execs or whatever

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of wish they we would have at least just gotten Episode IX-A: Duel of the Fates and Episode IX-B: Rise of Skywalker. Two different paths the story could have taken.

I would love if this film would have gotten made, but it seems too late now. JJ destroyed the entire sequel trilogy with his film.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Part of me hopes (a big part of me hopes) they do an animated series immediately post-TROS that just does right by all the characters. Presumably there's still shit to do to fix up what the FO did.

I will say that early on during the pandemic I found TROS really helpful in dealing with the stress of the year, because I take so much joy in mentally ripping it apart and putting it together I generally forget whatever was bother me previously.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I love how open Boyega is about everything.

He clearly has love for Abrams for putting him on, but is straight up like, "Yea, would've preferred that" lol
In the end he knows that JJ delivered the kind of movie the higher up suits wanted. Not much you can do about it in the moment, he kept it professional during the shooting and marketing campaign.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Imagine if these movies were better planned-out and released every three years (like the other trilogies) and Disney wasn't hell-bent on milking the franchise dead.

I mean, yeah, Episode IX would've been delayed due to COVID, but with the right amount of time every movie in the new trilogy would've been WELL worth the wait.

I still haven't seen TRoS and I used to love Star Wars. Fuck it all.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Some awesome ideas in there for sure, but Trevorrow's finale was beyond fucked. All the stuff about Rey tapping into some "necessary rage" is infinitely more stupid than anything we've had on screen, and completely antithetical to what the Jedi are.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Would have been cool to see Palpatine zapping an army of disloyal Stormtroopers turning against him, lol. Actually, I could be misremembering, but did Trevorrow not say that he was originally going to have white armored stormtroopers fighting red ones, indicating some kind of internal coup?

Yeah but what would really be great is exactly what you describe the first half, maybe the white troopers battling the evil read troopers. It's symbolism because Red obviously symbolizes the imperial guards, but also it would be a reverse order 66.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
What about Lando in TESB and ROTJ?

They were supporting characters. Lando didn't even show up until the 2nd act of Empire. In Jedi, the focus was still on the main trio, Luke, Leia, and Han.

Finn was literally the second primary character we were introduced to. When you think about it, the first, as Poe is "dead" for the majority of the movie until the end of the second act. The Force Awakens is just as much Finn's story as it is Rey's. They are co-protagonists, and Finn was shafted in the later movies.

It's hard to describe how fucking hyped I was to see someone looking like me wielding a lightsaber in the trailers for The Force Awakens. Even though I knew that Rey was the "main" Force user, I was excited that Finn would be too, and that we'd see parallel growths of two Jedi, both from different sides of the spectrum (one, an analogue for Luke, and one a disenfranchised Stormtrooper who is forced - no pun intended - to recognize that the "evil" he was taught to fight his whole life; the Jedi, Rebels, etc, was something in him all along). I wasn't disappointed in TFA when it came to Finn. Boyega has screen presence for days, and he made that character work. Then TLJ dropped that thread that was pretty clearly setup, and Rise tried to pick it up a little, but by that point, it didn't matter in the narrative, as we were in the home stretch, and Finn hadn't even started his Force journey, let alone came to a place where it could be actualized by the third film.

As a black kid who absolutely adored Star Wars and the Jedi, and wanted to be one, the thought of having a primary protagonist in a Star Wars film (and not a supporting role like Mace Windu, as cool as he was), was exciting to me. Maybe next time, I guess. But I'm not holding my breath. Star Wars fans can be some of the most insufferably gate-keeping fans in genre fiction.

Last edited:

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Defintely would have liked to have seen what Trevorrow would have done. Beginning to think you do not bring in Abrams for the 3rd movie in your series. MI: 3 was the weakest entry cluttered with too much nonsense (ethan hunt's married? rabbit foot macguffin - don't care, mess of a 3rd act) and RotS (just everything).

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Some awesome ideas in there for sure, but Trevorrow's finale was beyond fucked. All the stuff about Rey tapping into some "necessary rage" is infinitely more stupid than anything we've had on screen, and completely antithetical to what the Jedi are.

I don't know what Treverrow's finale is, but few can be more stupid than what we got.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Trev had a lot of dumb shit in his version. Rey and Poe romance outta nowhere, grey jedi, Kylo being inserted in Rey's past. But he did do Finn some justice

I would say that we'd be trading a ruined Finn for a ruined Rey but TROS, not to be outdone, manages to ruin her too with Reylo.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What formed in my head about that scene posted in here couldn't possible be topped by a Trevorrow's movie - but it would still be less disappointing than what we got. This sounds like an actual character arc.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
There's enough trash in that Trevorrow's script that made me pause. His script is not the sure fire slam dunk that some of you think he would've been.

Boyega's character had a shit ton of promise but they had no clue what to do with him and shoehorned some awkward kiss in there and then ignored that kiss in the final film and all it's implications... and the horses on the star destroyer lol wtf. His character could've been so much deeper and meaningful.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
They were supporting characters. Lando didn't even show up until the 2nd act of Empire. In Jedi, the focus was still on the main trio, Luke, Leia, and Han.

Finn was literally the second primary character we were introduced to. When you think about it, the first, as Poe is "dead" for the majority of the movie until the end of the second act. The Force Awakens is just as much Finn's story as it is Rey's. They are co-protagonists, and Finn was shafted in the later movies.

It's hard to describe how fucking hyped I was to see someone looking like me wielding a lightsaber in the trailers for The Force Awakens. Even though I knew that Rey was the "main" Force user, I was excited that Finn would be too, and that we'd see parallel growths of two Jedi, both from different sides of the spectrum (one, an analogue for Luke, and one a disenfranchised Stormtrooper who is forced - no pun intended - to recognize that the "evil" he was taught to fight his whole life; the Jedi, Rebels, etc, was something in him all along). I wasn't disappointed in TFA when it came to Finn. Boyega has screen presence for days, and he made that character work. Then TLJ dropped that thread that was pretty clearly setup, and Rise tried to pick it up a little, but by that point, it didn't matter in the narrative, as we were in the home stretch, and Finn hadn't even started his Force journey, let alone came to a place where it could be actualized by the third film.

As a black kid who absolutely adored Star Wars and the Jedi, and wanted to be one, the thought of having a primary protagonist in a Star Wars film (and not a supporting role like Mace Windu, as cool as he was), was exciting to me. Maybe next time, I guess. But I'm not holding my breath. Star Wars fans can be some of the most insufferably gate-keeping fans in genre fiction.
well stated, my brother.

you understand what we were promised...and what we lost between the initial trailers of TFA to the end of RoTS. We were |---| close.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I'd like to see a group of passionate fans get together and create a version of Duel of the Fates as an alternate Episode IX, probably through animation or comics. We have official concept art and an early version of a script to go off of as an excellent basis.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
After the first act of TFA he stopped being interesting. Never got the obsession over Finn. The trilogy as a whole was crap.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I'd like to see a group of passionate fans get together and create a version of Duel of the Fates as an alternate Episode IX, probably through animation or comics. We have official concept art and an early version of a script to go off of as an excellent basis.

It's already been done my friend. Star Wars Theory recently put out an animated rough cut.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still like how episode 7 was balanced in terms of character time and story. It's a shame what happened afterwards. No matter what anyone thinks of Episode 8, Episode 9, and which one was better or worse, the one thing we can all agree on is that Finn was done dirty.
100%

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
well stated, my brother.

you understand what we were promised...and what we lost between the initial trailers of TFA to the end of RoTS. We were |---| close.

Right? As much I really do love The Last Jedi (in particular what Johnson did with Rey, Luke, and Ben), I was so gutted when Finn was shuffled off to the side, and there was no follow through on, what I felt, were obvious teases in TFA that he was Force Sensitive. I mean, there wasn't even any follow through on his conflict with Phasma. Don't get me started on that, but one of the ways I would have handled Finn and Rose's arc in TLJ would have been:

The setup is the same: They go to Canto Bight to find the codebreaker, but Phasma, who is so incredibly diligent and vengeful (and maybe I'd tease she has a little Force sensitivity herself), happens to notice the smallest warp signature leave the capital Resistance ship. She feels it in her bones that it's FN-2187, and because she hates that fucker, she leaves Snoke's ship without informing anyone of her plan (she wants to dispose of him herself), and tracks them to Canto Bight (shades of Boba Fett in Empire). Finn and Rose arrive on Canto, and instead of being arrested and thrown in jail, they are doggedly pursued by Phasma, and her Squad of loyal soldiers. It then becomes this cat and mouse scenario, where Finn and Rose are trying to keep one step ahead of Phasma, while also trying to accomplish their mission. I'd focus on stressing the tension between the importance of their mission, and how close Phasma is to undermining it.

During this, we get to learn more about Finn, his history with the FO, delve a little deeper into his vague memories of a life before he was conscripted, and maybe get a little more teases that his Force potential is awakening. Bonus, we learn more about his beef with Phasma, and why he was so terrified of her, and, if he's honest, why he still is. We can also use this time to bond him to Rose. Her upbringing was very different, and we learn a bit more about her relationshp with her sister, as well as her disdain for the big wigs of Canto Bight (one of the aspects of the Canto Bight sequence I really liked). Both characters get some much needed depth, interspersed with Rey's struggle to snap Luke out of his funk, and Poe's lesson in humility and leadership. They actually meet the codebreaker, and just as he's swayed to join their cause, Phasma catches up to them and kills the codebreaker. Their mission was a failure, but it wasn't a wasted sidestory, as we got to learn more about Finn and Rose, and see them progress their individual arcs a little bit.

During this confrontation with Phasma, I'd have Finn do what he did in the deleted scene. He reaches out to the her Stormtrooper Squad, just as things looks bleak, and he actually manages to sway a few of them! As implied in Rise, some of the Stormtroopers are Force sensitive, and they recognize some kind of kinship in Finn. Not all of the troopers lower their weapons, so Phasma and her loyal squad turn on the traitors, and a firefight breaks out, allowing Finn and Rose to flee. It is here that I'd have them encounter DJ, setting up that plot thread of the shady scoundrel who encourages Finn to just walk away. The escape from Canto Bight plays out in the same way (well, the theme park ride chase is excised in favor of the Phasma/Finn/Rose/Stormtroopers segment), and DJ flies them out on the stolen ship.

The rest of their arc plays out roughly the same. They get captured and betrayed by DJ on Snoke's snip trying to disable the Hyperspace tracker, and Finn is slowly beginning to understand that he may have another way to fight the First Order. Even though they failed, he feels like he may be able to convince more Stormtroopers to turn against the First Order. He's going to trust in the Force, and Rose is going to join him in that fight as well, for her own sense of wanting to matter, and do right by her sister's legacy.

When we pick up that thread in Rise, it's been a year, and while he's not a Jedi, he is more adept at Force usage than we've seen. He doesn't have his own lightsaber...yet, but he's displaying some pretty impressive knowledge of the Force. Also during that year, he and Rose have managed to dig up intel on potential Stormtrooper defectors, and have swayed a few squads to the cause, but not nearly enough. They need more. He and Rose go with Rey and Poe to find the Sith wayfinder, but during Chewbacca's rescue attempt, he converts a few more Stormtroopers, and they crash land on the planet with the Death Star remains. He meets Jannah as written, believing truly that the will of the Force put him on this path. His newly converted Stormtroopers, and her group of defected Stormtroopers align and their role in the final battle plays out similarly. Then, after Palpatine is finally defeated, he decides he's going to continue traveling to various star systems, finding any remaining remnants of the First Order, and trying to convert them. He wants to continue his study of the Force, and that's where Maz Kanata comes in. She's no Jedi, as she says, but she does know the Force, and will take it upon herself to teach him what she knows. Maybe have a tease of him looking at the old Jedi texts Rey has on how to construct his own lightsaber when he's ready for it.

I mean, that's all I wanted from Finn in this trilogy. He's a likable character, was always meant to be Force Sensitive, and his journey didn't necessarily have to be the same as Rey's, but he still gets there in the end. Mace Windu was Sam Jackson with a lightsaber. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I definitely like Finn, and wanted better for him by this trilogy.

I'd love it if Lucasfilm could convince Boyega to return to the character for a short Disney + miniseries. Like, 6 episodes, where we get to see him grow his Force abilities and progress his journey to becoming a Jedi. Have a cameo by Daisy Ridley and Oscar Isaac too, if you want. They have excellent chemistry, so an episode where a more experienced Rey and Finn, along with Poe, have a team up adventure for whatever plotline Finn is on would be awesome.

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
In no world am I going to pretend Trevorrow was going to actually produce something good. And this is the same script that shoved Rey with Poe as a romantic interest for some reason.

But RoS left such a grotesque taste in peoples' mouths that people even considering a Trevorrow take sure fucking says something.

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
The crazy thing about the Dual of the Fates script is, the leaked version we have is apparently only the rough/first draft, yet it would have still been an infinitely better sequel to TLJ and ending to this trilogy than the dumpster fire that is TROS.

It actually tried to continue and conclude storylines and character arcs. Sure, not always perfectly (again, first draft) but at least it fucking tried.

But no, we're stuck with TROS forever, because JJ thought he had to retcon TLJ to appease an extremely small but vocal minority of "fans".

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Everything about Duel sounded way cooler. Sure I know things don't translate from Concept Art/Screenplay 100
The part of the opening script where TFO Officer goes, "The last Jedi is with them, sir," still gives me chills.

The Treverrow script isn't perfect, it's decent for a first draft. It has its own problems. The Poe-Rey romance seems to come out of nowhere. Kylo kind of gets off easy. The weird complication of Rey's backstory and adding Kylo to it. You've read it. But, it did actually follow up the events of TLJ and TFA and offer a conclusion.

It would have made a solid 7/10 film. Instead, we got TROS which is about a 3/10.

Yep. That's the way I see it too. We don't need a 10/10 Masterpiece Star Wars films, but something like Duel would've worked so much better than what we got. Would've been nice to see more of the characters people liked along with actual arcs for them rather than just standing around.