• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
We could've had a epic final movie that actually built upon the themes and character development of the previous films, but instead we got the forgettable mess that is TROS.

Sigh.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wCjNwBx.jpg

All I can hear is REY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! coming from his mouth.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The part of the opening script where TFO Officer goes, "The last Jedi is with them, sir," still gives me chills.

The Treverrow script isn't perfect, it's decent for a first draft. It has its own problems. The Poe-Rey romance seems to come out of nowhere. Kylo kind of gets off easy. The weird complication of Rey's backstory and adding Kylo to it. You've read it. But, it did actually follow up the events of TLJ and TFA and offer a conclusion.

It would have made a solid 7/10 film. Instead, we got TROS which is about a 3/10.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
It's honestly not too late to make a whole movie out of parts of the old script. The Kylo/Ben stuff has already been dealt with but since it was the Final Order and not the First Order that was defeated in the last movie, they can make it so the remaining forces have grouped up, barricaded themselves and taken over Coruscant. The rest of the movie will be Finn's stormtrooper uprising arc.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
If they really wanted Ep 9 to be an ending to the entire series, an army of storm troopers turning on the Sith would have been the kind of poetry Lucas would envy.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
If they really wanted Ep 9 to be an ending to the entire series, an army of storm troopers turning on the Sith would have been the kind of poetry Lucas would envy.

Would have been cool to see Palpatine zapping an army of disloyal Stormtroopers turning against him, lol. Actually, I could be misremembering, but did Trevorrow not say that he was originally going to have white armored stormtroopers fighting red ones, indicating some kind of internal coup?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It would have probably been bad, too. I haven't seen anything in the leaks to convince me, otherwise. It's definitely a better concept than The Rise of Skywalker, though. It at least feels like it's a continuation of what happened in the last two movies.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Friendly reminder that the script for DOTF deteriorated after successive drafts while Trevorrow was still tapped to direct. I think they cut Coruscant altogether in the second draft, so I'm not sure if Finn's revolutionary arc was retained.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
The trevorrow script was/is rough at parts but still so much better than what we got in TROS. Returning and the siege of coruscant makes way too much sense over finding the downed death star and doing a uncharted puzzle to reveal the final room before a boss fight.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
From MSW, this is the final draft. No more defected Stormtroopers, no more Coruscant. Finn still inspires some underground Resistance. He also fights a sludge monster, I guess.

There's more tea about the second draft and the weird Thorne script, but the above highlights much of what was lost as Trevorrow/Connolly sanded away all their best ideas.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From MSW, this is the final draft. No more defected Stormtroopers, no more Coruscant. Finn still inspires some underground Resistance. He also fights a sludge monster, I guess.

There's more tea about the second draft and the weird Thorne script, but the above highlights much of what was lost as Trevorrow/Connolly sanded away all their best ideas.
Damn, why Kennedy, WHYYY

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would have been wonderful to give the sequel trilogy an actual 3rd act.

It wouldn't have been though, because Colin Trevorrow is shite.

If Duel of the Fates had been made, it would be criticized for being a mediocre ending to the trilogy, but it would have been an actual ending. Unlike what we got.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Believing Colin Trevorrow could have fixed Star Wars is like believing Zack Snyder could fix Justice League.

You don't understand, the script exists and is real.

Trevorrow is a more bland director, so his action sequences may have been rather unexciting compared to the past two, the cinematography less interesting (more like a TV show), and perhaps the acting would take a hit; but the story would still be there.

It would be a repeat of going from Empire to RotJ.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Finn being absolutely wasted is the reason why TLJ is my least favorite movie of the new trilogy. So much potential, thrown away.
Same. For everything else I grew to love about the film I just didn't get why Johnson decided that Finn had to be a coward (at this point and after everything he braved already!) and have to effectively re-earn his place... it felt so weird and just a disservice to the character.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
You don't understand, the script exists and is real.

Trevorrow is a more bland director, so his action sequences may have been rather unexciting compared to the past two, the cinematography less interesting (more like a TV show), and perhaps the acting would take a hit; but the story would still be there.

It would be a repeat of going from Empire to RotJ.

No you don't understand. Trevorrow is a disaster of a director. He wouldn't have made a better movie.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Trevorrow's script was pretty bonkers but still miles better then what JJ gave us. I agree with John.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I don't think we are speaking the same language, or in the same conversation.

I am talking about what he would make, not your feelings about the guy.

I'm not sure what your issue is to be honest. Looking at the entirety of his body of work, he's never made a good movie. Or even an ok one. I'm not sure why you think this would be different. He's talentless enough to turn an ok script into a terrible movie.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Damn, why Kennedy, WHYYY
Frank Marshall and Spielberg probably recommended Trevorrow off the success of Jurassic World and Kennedy said okay. Trevorrow punched slightly above his weight with a decent first draft, mucked it up on successive drafts, Carrie Fisher died, Jack Thorne was brought in for rewrites and came up with some bullshit, and Kennedy finally broke and gave JJ a blank check to save IX. Throughout all of this, Book of Henry came out and sucked shit, tons of fans complained loudly about TLJ, and Solo bombed.

I don't agree with many of her decisions, but I can at least sympathize with Kennedy's impulse to err on the side of caution by bringing JJ back. Her first mistake was hiring Trevorrow in the first place. It didn't take until Book of Henry for folks to realize he's just another white hack in Hollywood.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what your issue is to be honest. Looking at the entirety of his body of work, he's never made a good movie. Or even an ok one. I'm not sure why you think this would be different. He's talentless enough to turn an ok script into a terrible movie.

That's the thing, I don't have an issue. Not with most of his movies (Book of Henry is indeed a disaster), and not with what he wrote for Episode 9.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
That's the thing, I don't have an issue. Not with most of his movies (Book of Henry is indeed a disaster), and not with what he wrote for Episode 9.
Good for you. I'm glad you enjoyed some of his movies and maybe you would have enjoyed this? Not sure why you keep replying to me telling me I don't understand something though.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017

That report is so poorly written it's really hard to tell whether there's any big stormtrooper uprising in that draft like there is in the first. The first stormtrooper that Finn turns, Rafe, is still there so it's possible the others are too. If only that draft would leak too. At least one person claims to have it. And the sludge monster is in the first, leaked draft as well.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
One of the biggest disappointments of the sequel trilogy for me was how Finn was handled. In particular in The Last Jedi. I actually really love The Last Jedi, but when it comes to Finn, he wasn't given anything even remotely impactful in that story. I really wish they had kept the scene of him trying to convince Phasma's squad to turn against her. Even if he ultimately failed to convince them, it would have laid the groundwork for the Stormtrooper uprising in Rise of Skywalker. Since TLJ was about failure, and growing and learning from failure, having that spark in Finn to rally the Stormtroopers, then, when he meets Jannah in Rise, they could go on their mission (along with Rose and Poe), and manage to turn the tide, not to mention have further development of his Force Sensitivity.

I had called it since TFA that Finn was Force Sensitive. Seeds of it were planted in that film. I was bummed Johnson didn't go deeper into it in TLJ. Then JJ tried to follow through on those seeds in Rise, but there was too much story crammed into that one, and because TLJ didn't carry that forward, it felt like a "reintroduction" to the concept, rather than a payoff.

I love how honest and candid Boyega is in his interviews, and he's spot on about Black representation in film. I've been wanting to see a proper black protagonist in the Star Wars series since I was a little boy, and, well, I'm still waiting. Sam Jackson was a supporting role. Finn in TFA was a co-lead along with Rey, but then he got demoted to supporting cast in TLJ and Rise. I'd 100% be down for a Star Wars series (maybe Disney +), about Finn, where we finally see him fulfill his potential (it's Star Wars, and just because the Emperor is finally dead doesn't mean that the First Order and it's countless Stormtroopers just vanished).

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Oh wow, this would have been so cool especially the troopers switching sides and sueing for peace. Kind of has vibes of the original EU where the New Republic and Imperial Remnant signed a peace agreement.

I still do not understand shoehorning in the half-baked Dark Empire Palpatine story in the last episode.

If they wanted Palpatine, it should have been the entirety of Dark Empire with the Palp reveal at the END of force awakens.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
God damn The Rise of Skywalker sucked. Imagine a movie so bad you're wishing for a Colin Trevorrow version instead. Let that soak in.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
That report is so poorly written it's really hard to tell whether there's any big stormtrooper uprising in that draft like there is in the first. The first stormtrooper that Finn turns, Rafe, is still there so it's possible the others are too. If only that draft would leak too. At least one person claims to have it. And the sludge monster is in the first, leaked draft as well.
You're correct. I did a control+f for Stormtroopers and didn't see the Rafe character. But it seems like Finn's army is a group called the Rustics:
  1. Finn talks with Dade who reveals there's a hundred million rustics hiding out, but could fight and that's what the First Order is afraid of. Finn inspires the room to rise up and resist. His arc is complete from when he was a trooper, then traitor.
No mention of Stormtroopers here except for Rafe -- although, as you say, the article is borderline incomprehensible, so there could be others.