• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Star Wars when the two leads were white men. These two new leads are awful for some reason I can't quite put my finger on...

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be blunt: JJ Abrams does not get to bitch about other screenwriters' writing. That asshat has never told a satisfying story in his entire life and he's not about to start now, so he needs to shut the fuck up and go back to directing music videos, because that's clearly where his headspace actually lives.
This movie isn't even out and some of you all have already lost your fucking minds lmao

The review thread has legendary potential

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Ya and man. The number of times we are all assholes in life is insane. And yes even from those who pretend it's never happened or they are perfect. Sadly since its hard to read people even if you were, with the number of interactions a normal person can have. You could appear like an ass 10 times a day lol.
I have been with Jesse on the Cooptional a couple of times LOVE his attitude and I could see in a hot second how HE could seem to be a huge ass even when not trying. Just like I am sure tons of people have thought that of me.
Nah youre cool Karak...

For now 👀

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its funny. Daisy Ridley denies her privilege in comparison to Boyega, and people trip over themselves to explain what she "meant to say." John Boyega implies Kelly Tran wasn't strong enough, and people are immediately calling him "garbage."

It's almost like Boyega's recent comments about TLJ and Rian Johnson's direction have colored some people's reaction to certain actors.

It's painfully transparent.

It is funny how that works, you had people bending over backwards trying to justify what Daisy said.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
john should know by know that the "fan base " is ready to jump on anything he says lol

i dont think he believes kelly mary tran reaction to the backlash was her fault, but he didnt word that well at all

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit of poor phrasing and that's it. Trying to hang him out to dry over this is ridiculous. People just intentionally choose the most disingenuous reading when there was clearly no malice intended.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea it's very obvious he doesn't mean what this tweet is implying.

Same way it was obvious Daisy wasn't actually straight up denying white privilege.

What the fuck is up with the interviewer's and people looking for gotcha moments with this shit all week? I think we've got enough shit going on right now in the US that actually deserves our outrage. Or do some of you just enjoy being angry all the time?

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This thread is mortifyingly embarrassing. Let humans be humans for fuck's sake. Boyega is a 27 year old actor, not a goddamn political ambassador who has to diplomatically nail every sentence he utters. He's trying to harmoniously bridge the divide between fans in what he's saying, and he's going about it in an extremely clunky and ill advised way. Stop putting so much stock into it. The guy is tasked with answering a million questions a day, some lighthearted, some precarious, some politically charged, all slowly draining him and coming at him with little preparation. I assure you, if any one of you were in the same position you'd eventually catch your foot in your mouth too. That's what humans do. They make mistakes. They misspeak. Give some slack, jesus christ. If Tran is offended by it, Boyega can make amends and apologise to her himself privately.

The amount of toxicity and hatred spewing from this forum is disgraceful. Take a step back, recognise that these words aren't do or die. They're not altering the course of progressive social discourse. In the process of trying to defend Tran from the hateful and vitriolic shit being hurled at her on the internet, you yourselves are hurling hateful and vitriolic shit at Boyega.

Wait, he insulted tran?????

Fuck you finn!! Asshole.

Now I'm glad your character didn't get much screen time in TLJ. That's not cool at all. Hope your short lived career crashes and burns.

What the fuck

He seemed so nice on Hot Ones last week

John Boyega is a garbage?

Boyega has gone from cool guy to total POS in about 3 days eh?

This is some appalling shit right here.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he meant anything by it so I hope he clarifies his comments.

That said, this press tour has been weird.

Deleted member 61538

Alt account
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
It's funny .. people here started giving Daisys comments nuance when she failed to acknowledge her white privilege.. but Boyega is quick to be cancelled when he slips up.

Oct 26, 2017
Reading comprehension is a lost art.

ELjONuEXUAANM_d.jpg:large

Idk why you're trying to act like this is a reading comprehension problem, especially when Boyega clearly used himself as an example of someone who isn't "mentally weak."

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is mortifyingly embarrassing. Let humans be humans for fuck's sake. Boyega is a 27 year old actor, not a goddamn political ambassador who has to diplomatically nail every sentence he utters. He's trying to harmoniously bridge the divide between fans in what he's saying, and he's going about it in an extremely clunky and ill advised way. Stop putting so much stock into it. The guy is tasked with answering a million questions a day, some lighthearted, some precarious, some politically charged, all slowly draining him and coming at him with little preparation. I assure you, if any one of you were in the same position you'd eventually catch your foot in your mouth too. That's what humans do. They make mistakes. They misspeak. Give some slack, jesus christ. If Tran is offended by it, Boyega can make amends and apologise to her himself privately.

The amount of toxicity and hatred spewing from this forum is disgraceful. Take a step back, recognise that these words aren't do or die. They're not altering the course of progressive social discourse. In the process of trying to defend Tran from the hateful and vitriolic shit being hurled at her on the internet, you yourselves are hurling hateful and vitriolic shit at Boyega.

He's mentally strong. He'll be fine.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So besides the Ridley thing....absolutely nothing. My lord people are fucking dramatic. Calling Boyega a piece of shut because he flubbed his words? Like yall seriously think hes calling his coworkers weak minded?!

I don't know how to say this without sounding insulting, but I feel like a lot of people on Era are out of touch with the realities of life and human interaction or nature. This drive to sensationalise and berate anyone and everything who does or says anything even remotely questionable, especially those who are orders of magnitude more likely to make mistakes than ordinary people, just by virtue of being under the eye so much more than is typical, is just exhausting.

We're talking about young adults who are probably tired as fuck and doing hundreds upon hundreds of interviews non stop, it's not surprising that every now again they might mess up their words or say something that lacks a particular etiquette or isn't ideally or accurately phrased, especially if they're asked off the cuff, and not prepared.

Boyega in particular is a lad who grew up poor in South London, Peckham, he's not going to be constantly versed or eloquent to an Oxbridge level or whatever, and now and again things may come out a bit messy or hard edged, this being one of those examples.

To quote my post from earlier, I really think a simple fumbling of words is being unnecessarily sensationalised and taken out of context here.

To be fair, he's not specifically calling Kellie Marie Tran weak here, but speaking generally in saying that someone would be weak to believe everything they read online. Essentially that you have to be headstrong in being able to ignore a lot of the online trash and tripe.

Last edited:

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

this aint it, chief.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, he's not specifically calling Kellie Marie Tran weak here, but speaking generally in saying that someone would be weak to believe everything they read online. Essentially that you have to be headstrong in being able to ignore a lot of the online trash and tripe.

i agree with you, the problem here is that the question included kelly mary tran, but i dont think he was thinking about her when giving his answer.

also john, you needed start that answer saying that what happened to kelly was disgraceful man!

Oct 27, 2017

Thank you. It's so clear the agenda some people have against Boyega. People pretend it's in the name of being "progressive" but it's clearly just a proxy on defending thing they like.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Considering he was vocal about all the harassment she got before, what's more likely

1)it was all a sham and this is him taking advantage of this press tour to come and out saying she was weak to get annoyed
2)He mispoke.

I expected a 'THAT KELLY TRAN WAS WEAK MINDED, ME BOYEGA STRONG MINDED MALE'. This is def. a fumble but not much more than that.

Oct 29, 2017

This is the most hateful forum I have ever read. What the fuck happened between the old place and here?

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Boyega on that Tyler wave lol.

Honestly its hard to tell intent from a transcribed interview. Just have to wait and see if he clarifies or doubles down on comments.

Deleted member 42102

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
No, but you did nothing to indicate that this is a reading comprehension issue.

Reading comprehension is a lost art. Just read the thread, the amount of people coming in here, clearly not reading the quote/article and calling Boyega a piece of shit for some shit he clearly didn't say is embarrassing. I'd have to be a fool to assume Boyega's trying to dunk on Kelly here after defending her. So once again, reading comprehension is dead. Bye.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

Yup. Embarrassing.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Off-Topic Trolling
All the shitting on The Last Jedi the cast and JJ Abrams are doing hasn't been helping either.
It really is helping, TLJ was a shit show like we all thought, so we'll not see them go down the same route. Same with Solo, another piece of shit that was rightfully slammed.

Status
Not open for further replies.