• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. The Finn/Rose/Poe b-plot was just not very good at all. All the effort was put into the Rey/Luke/Kylo A-plot.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I do think Finns arc or maybe the execution of it is maybe the last Jedi's (a film I enjoyed) weakest element but I don't think he was underserved or left to be a janitor.

As a character who has been behind a stormtrooper helmet for his entire life he needed to see the outside world to understand the context for the rebels fight. Secondly he is trying to break in to a ship that will rescue the entire remaining rebel fleet. There is a full arc for his character In the film. He may not be with Poe where the force awakens found a connection with the audience but I can see why Johnson took the character in that direction.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Calling what Poe did an arc is certainly something.

It is an arc though.

Poe was likeable in TFA, but he was a total cipher. There was nothing to him beyond him being a totally awesome pilot who everyone likes. Fun to watch, but hardly fleshed out. A....Gary Stu you could say?

TLJ gave him human flaws and by the end of the film he learns that restraint and not being so gung ho are valuable qualities in a leader. It's an arc.

Jun 17, 2019
So here's the thing, there's a lot more than the whole cutting out the last scenes with Mark going on. It appears that, at least in the orignal take of TFA, Leia was going to know about who Rey really was, and more than likely, JJ, given what we have now (as he is a big star wars nerd) probably would have had Finn and Poe haveing some sort of Han and Luke type adventure with Rose being with them (stowaway) and focusing down on things that were going on for Finn -his connection to Phasma that was set up in TFA and to the troopers. Given the hints we are getting now, I would not be suprised if there was going to be more a focus on how the three connected to the past. Finn with the FO and storm Troopers, Poe with the Resistance and the Republice, and Rey with the Jedi and her past. Instead Rian decided to refilm a russian movie about lovers that were trapped in Siberia. The hand hold thing was actually based on a damn scene. Finns whole plot is a cross between Gungadinn and another movie and Poe's story is 12' o'clock High with Holdo as Gregory Peck's character. She even got the original ending for that film until that was changed to make it less depressing.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It is an arc though.

Poe was likeable in TFA, but he was a total cipher. There was nothing to him beyond him being a totally awesome pilot who everyone likes. Fun to watch, but hardly fleshed out. A....Gary Stu you could say?

TLJ gave him human flaws and by the end of the film he learns that restraint and not being so gung ho are valuable qualities in a leader. It's an arc.
Poe wasn't a character in the first film because he's largely absent for most of it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
He's right.

I was pretty hyped for Rey/Finn as characters when the posters for TFA were coming out:

star_wars_poster_full.0.jpg

star-wars-00.jpg

But Rian Johnson made gave him a horrible comic sidekick role, who has no force sensitivity, no skills, no lightsaber, and no connection to the A plot.

Pairing him with Rose, whose sole purposes seems to be to rob him of agency for the entire film (literally incapacitating him more than once in the movie, and "teaching" him "lessons") was a disaster and completely crashed his character arc into the ground.
They really finessed the shit out of us - gotta hand it to Disney and whoever runs Star Wars - well played.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is an arc though.

Though it's a shame that Poe learning a lesson nearly caused the destruction of the entire Resistance.

In reality Poe really should be locked up in the brig.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
Finn and Poe were boring as hell since the TFA, nothing that happened in TLJ made them any worse.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
I like the TLJ but I laughed out loud of the end bit with him and rose. It's so dumb how she gives that speech then dramatically faints. It's hokier than anything in a new hope

SpudBud

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I blame JJ for the lightsaber bait and switch. Anything after that would be disappointing.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Finn's potential was cut off at the knees in TFA when they gave him the backstory of someone who should evoke tons of pathos but instead turned him into bait and switch comic relief. Rian just ruined him even further by removing the one thing he still had going for him which was his chemistry with Rey(and that small Por scene in TFA)

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
It is an arc though.

It was a waste of time. It developed Poe but Poe's character didn't need to be developed and what was developed was nothing interesting. He just becomes less of a hothead while giving brain-damage to Holdo and Leia in efforts to develop him.

tumblr_p5fmulxyQq1rf03uko3_500.gifv

Ewww, fucking gross.

It was okay to leave Poe as a side-character. No need to try to promote him. We have limited time in a movie.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We were so hopeful for this Trilogy :-/
Feel sorry for Boyega...imagine being incredible hyped after TFA and then seeing the TLJ script ...damn.
I don't want to make this a race-thing, but I live in a neighborhood full of black kids who saw this trailer - this MOMENT - and couldn't stop talking about it.
tenor.gif

I remember that positivity and excitement hearing all about his character. It was here - a major Star Wars movie starring a prominent black hero in a major leading role. While the Rey swerve was still cool, I also remember the hype for Finn after that was... quieter. A lot of the kids were saying they were hoping he'd come back in a big way in the next movie, because they were invested in him since the first trailer shot of the new trilogy.

And instead he just... was kicked to the side.

We have a new Star Wars movie in about 11 days, and nobody is talking about Finn. And why should they? He doesn't matter anymore. He's not important. He's not in a leading role. He's just... there. Along for the ride.

Another token black sidekick.

Those kids who were so eager for a major hero moved on to Black Panther, and I don't blame them.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
User banned (1 week): Mod-whining, misrepresenting moderation (the cited member was banned for harassing another member, not for criticizing TLJ), derailing and hostility over a series of posts + history of infractions for hostility and mod-whining

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
TLJ finally makes Finn into somebody who gives a shit about the resistance as a whole and not just saving Rey, you know, actual character development, and people can't fucking handle it

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did you see his reactions to TFA trailers? It was hype inducing just watching him.

He obviously thought like we all did that his character would go SOMEWHERE.

well yeah form the trailer anyone would get hyped.

but after finishing the movie in a coma, i would be fucking worried

i actually remember being worried before TLJ that finn would spend most of the movie on a coma, so was very glad when he woke up almost immediately

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to make this a race-thing, but I live in a neighborhood full of black kids who saw this trailer - this MOMENT - and couldn't stop talking about it.
tenor.gif

I remember that positivity and excitement hearing all about his character. It was here - a major Star Wars movie starring a prominent black hero in a major leading role. While the Rey swerve was still cool, I also remember the hype for Finn after that was... quieter. A lot of the kids were saying they were hoping he'd come back in a big way in the next movie, because they were invested in him since the first trailer shot of the new trilogy.

We have a new Star Wars movie in about 11 days, and nobody is talking about Finn. And why should they? He doesn't matter anymore. He's not important. He's not in a leading role. He's just... there. Along for the ride.

Those kids who were so eager for a major hero moved on to Black Panther, and I don't blame them.

JJ is well aware of all that feedback. I'm sure he wrote Finn in TROS with all that in mind.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
TLJ wasted Finn, and it's probably the thing I disliked most about the film. I dont know, speaking as black dude, I just can't help but feel disappointed with how the character has been handled.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TLJ finally makes Finn into somebody who gives a shit about the resistance as a whole and not just saving Rey, you know, actual character development, and people can't fucking handle it

Which is great!

The problem is the actual story he's given is dull and too far detached from the main plot

Jul 18, 2018
We just had a thread about Finn and people just went ham on trying to defend his character and saying how it's so much more than banter. Now you have him coming once again to say he is upset over his own character.

Also btw, his has been back and forth about his character. I think he is also afraid to speak up over times due to job security, happy that he can speak out now.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Poe wasn't a character in the first film because he's largely absent for most of it.

Poe was meant to die in the TIE crash. He was not written as a co-lead from the off. The statement the poster made was dismissing the existence of an arc for Poe in TLJ. It's an arc.

Though it's a shame that Poe learning a lesson nearly caused the destruction of the entire Resistance.

In reality Poe really should be locked up in the brig.

Agreed. Which is why Holdo had no obligation to tell this reckless psycho her plan.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

I honestly thought the second movie would swerve away from the OT. Episode VII was a nice introduction of the new characters and send off of the old charaters, but VIII would bring the new trio into their own and Rey and Finn would both become a wunderkind duo on the road to become jedi. Man.... what a bummer.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I enjoyed TLJ, I didn't like seeing Finn trying to bail so quickly. It just felt so out of character at that point, especially when he fought so hard in TFA to save Rey and help the Resistance.

He was bailing to be with Rey. He didn't give a fuck about the Resistance when he lied to them and lead them into an unprepared situation on Starkiller base. The only reason they all didn't die was because Han guilt tripped Finn to do something. Dude just wanted to save Rey and get out of dodge before he got knocked the fuck out by Kylo. At the end Finn was still very myopic and selfish. TFA ends on a cliffhanger so TLJ cant just yada yada Finns incomplete arc since there's no time jump.

Johnson/TLJ gets a lot of heat for "ruining" Finn but like all of the narrative shortcomings of the sequel trilogy the blame belongs to JJ. From the begining JJ mislead the audience with his mystery box marketing for the Rey reveal guaranteeing that Finn was going to disappoint. By deciding to make Finn non force sensitive in a trilogy so dependent on Jedi JJ confirmed in TFA that Finn was going to be a secondary character and Rey/Kylo the actual leads. He confirmed this at the end by splitting Rey and Finn up at the end. Rey training with Luke was always going to be an A story while whatever Finn did after getting up from his coma was going to be the B story.

I give JJ and co. a lot of credit for casting TFA but he sold out Boyega's character from the start. Finn was a marketing ploy from the beginning and the actual character he gave us was a lying/love sick/janitor coward who gets the courage to save his crush at the end. This is coming from someone who liked that his arc got completed in TLJ but lets be honest.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
Imho TFA already handled him badly. He was basically a bumbling sidekick in that movie, and in the end he is in coma. I expected much more from the trailers.

Such a disappointment, Boyega deserved better.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

He was kicked aside and turned into a side-character that was only involved in a meandering B plot and paired up with character that climaxes with cringe:

rose-win-by-saving-what-we-love.gif

finn-and-rose-smooch-inthe-last-jedi.jpeg

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
He's right.

I was pretty hyped for Rey/Finn as characters when the posters for TFA were coming out:

star_wars_poster_full.0.jpg

star-wars-00.jpg

But Rian Johnson gave him a horrible comic sidekick role, who has no force sensitivity, no skills, no lightsaber, and no connection to the A plot.

Pairing him with Rose, whose sole purposes seems to be to rob him of agency for the entire film (literally incapacitating him more than once in the movie, and "teaching" him "lessons") was a disaster and completely crashed his character arc into the ground.
tenor.gif

Yeuuuuup, black man with a lightsaber advertisements were everywhere and look where it all led, what a waste of potential

Jan 3, 2018
This is another flaw with TFA. Luke should have been found earlier in the movie instead of literally the last moment.

Yep. Don't end a movie in a trilogy with 2 characters first meeting each other. That's on JJ. The end scene should've been Rey flying off to find Luke.

But of course this is Disney, and they had to market Mark Hamill being back to get butts in seats.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Yeah, this hurts. :(

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
It was a waste of time. It developed Poe but Poe's character didn't need to be developed and what was developed was nothing interesting. He just becomes less of a hothead while giving brain-damage to Holdo and Leia in efforts to develop him.

tumblr_p5fmulxyQq1rf03uko3_500.gifv

Ewww, fucking gross.

It was okay to leave Poe as a side-character. No need to try to promote him. We have limited time in a movie.

Your or my feelings on Poe's arc have nothing to do with the fact that the poster dismissed the existence of said arc. It exists.

Nov 17, 2017
tenor.gif

This. I felt cheated when I saw TFA and this whole lightsaber moment was just a marketing fake out, not gonna lie.

Like you said, I thought "Just another black character made into the token sidekick/comic relief" when I saw TLJ.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Agreed. Which is why Holdo had no obligation to tell this reckless psycho her plan.
*after hundreds of them die horribly due to his hotheadness, a few hours later*
7c4c4ba4acf8739efe5a63779c510fb4.gif

Even people who defend Leia and Holdo not trusting Poe typically don't defend them immediately turning around and telling the Resistance to trust his judgment AFTER he got most of them killed, without irony.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Finn had the potential to be the most exciting character in the sequel trilogy. Great actor and cool concept done dirty in TLJ.
Yeah, I was so excited to have a black lead in SW. They did him so dirty. He could've been so much more and his squandered potential took a lot of my excitement for the ST.

I am sure he'll be given cool moments in TROS, but why he couldn't be a Jedi or force sensitive I'll never know.