• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
"The Force Awakens I think was the beginning of something quite solid, The Last Jedi if I'm being honest I'd say that was feeling a bit iffy for me. I didn't necessarily agree with a lot of the choices in that and that's something that spoke to Mark a lot about and we had conversations about it. And it was hard for all of us, because we were separated..."

So apparently he spoke with Hamill and they both had reservations about the direction the series was headed?

"... I guess the original Star Wars films there was much more of a trio feel where it was essentially about Luke's journey, but Han and Leia there was a strong dynamic, which I think, I don't know how quickly we're going to be able to establish that longterm dynamic with Nine. But if it's exploring that dynamic, then that would be cool."

This has always been my concern. Nine has a lot of heavy lifting if this thing is going to go out with a bang.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Agreed.

The Finn parts of the film were very weak, and felt convoluted in contrast to everything else. TLJ has some of my favorite SW moments, and when it lands, it has some incredible filmmaking -- but it has HUGE issues IMO, and is a pretty weak film overall.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I attest, even as someone who generally likes TLJ, the way Finn and his story were handled is my biggest disappointment with it. So isolated from anything that mattered. I hope Boyega gets something better in episode 9. And I hope Finn gets a lot more screen time with Poe.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Method

Oct 25, 2017
I talked about this in my first posts after seeing the movie. Finn was by far the most interesting and fun character in FA and they just ditched him in TLJ.
they could have easily done flash back scenes of rey training with luke and learning what luke was doing on that island while present day rey was on an adventure with Finn. Or was that too hard to think up?

Oct 28, 2017
Rian Johnson was enamored with Kylo and Luke above all else. Their backstory plays right into his noir-ish wheelhouse. Finn and Rey both took a backseat to their story.

It's obvious from the TROS media that JJ wanted to course-correct on that and make Rey the dramatic centerpiece of this movie. Watch the first teaser again. It's entirely focused on her.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
TFA separated them. Not sure why that is TLJs fault.

What does separation have to do with the problem? Luke/Leia/Han were separated for most of the second film and they were still considered a trio the entire time. It still gave the other two important things to do while Luke was off on his own.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
To me? sure. alot of potential how a woman in that universe got to that position of leadership.

Rian did nothing with her. JJ didnt either, to be fair.
Having potential to be interesting is not the same as being an interesting character. They should've never brought her back, since TFA did nothing with her and TLJ had enough to do already.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Still blows my mind that this scene was deleted. Obviously it's rough because the direction/editing/voiceover isn't finished, but the idea of Finn convincing troopers to turn on Phasma over her treachery feels like a much stronger connection to Finn's TFA storyline and a fulfillment of the idea that he represents hope to those who want to leave the First Order.

They cut this but leave in the yo mama joke at the beginning...

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Finn went from literally the only reason to watch the sequels to the biggest reason to avoid the sequels.

Him holding the lightsaber in EP7 was his peak. After that, it's all Rey and everyone else.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right, his one redeeming quality ripped out lol

He still had the over protectiveness quality to him, which resulted in that scene at the end, but it felt so rushed. He went from escape podding to a shitty side plot to realizing that now he's no longer scared and ready to sacrifice himself for others?

The pacing and writing for his character in TLJ is by far the worse.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I liked TLJ a lot but this was my number one disappointment with it. I'm glad it seems like they got the characters all back together in the new one.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
I really wanted to know where the new characters go after 7. Now after 8 I couldn't give less of a shit and I'm inherently annoyed by their presence in new trailers. Last movie ruined my enthusiasm for everyone except maybe Kylo (and I guess I'm only neutral towards the main girl whose name I can't even remember right now).

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He isn't wrong, the trilogy really blew with the characters. You got the odd moments in TFA which just shows how good it is for characters to hang about together. TLJ lost that completely for the most part. Characters can go off and do their own things but the OT never felt so disconnected, the friendship seemed real, earned, subtle. Maybe they'll surprise in episode 9 and make up for it, I just hope the dynamic works well given they've apparently spent more time together, it will hurt either way because they wasted the trilogy but at least one and a half of good stuff is better than nothing and may make people excited to see an Episode X.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
The problem with TLJ is that it basically makes Finn goes through the same character arc again.

Also he was completely justified in wanting to peace out from a fight he never fucking signed up for.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's any realistic way to do a timeskip. TFA's entire purpose was leading up to that moment.. hearing from Luke himself why he decided to walk away from everything/his reasoning.
I think if TLJ has a timeskip then TFA doesn't end the same way. They were written with each other in mind.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, a lot of this complaint is "the three of us don't mirror the trio in the original films super well" which like, alright I guess you can want that, but how much have people bitched and moaned about these movies overusing themes from the original trilogy? We're gonna complain they're too DIFFERENT now?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't think there's any realistic way to do a timeskip. TFA's entire purpose was leading up to that moment.. hearing from Luke himself why he decided to walk away from everything/his reasoning.

You could but Rian would have to ditch Luke's characterization in that movie as a depressed coward that attempted to kill his nephew and play Luke much more traditionally as a Yoda-like figure.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I mean this is what a lot of people, including myself, have been saying about TLJ - that we didn't like how the characters were treated. I don't think Rian did a bad job directing it at all, it was just problematic writing and story arcs for those characters, Finn quite specifically but most notably Luke who manages to become an attempted nephew/padawan-murderer. People love to claim he's tearing it all down for a new generation, but that doesn't explain why he's doing a bad job with the current generation characters.

Mods merged the threads but kept Bor Gullet's title, making it look like I don't know how to spell "disappointment."

Absolutely disgusting

lol

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You could but Rian would have to ditch Luke's characterization in that movie as a depressed coward that attempted to kill his nephew and play Luke much more traditionally as a Yoda-like figure.
Even if RJ didn't go that route, that major plot thread would still have needed to be resolved. We needed to hear from Luke, it's the story that TFA set up with it's very first line in the opening crawl.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
He added a great element to TFA. I was pretty disappointed when Rose pulled him away from anything relevant in TLJ

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone can disagree that Finn was underserved in TLJ.

I don't really see the bit about TLJ being "realistic", though. It's as silly as any other SW movie.

Dec 31, 2017
TFA made him a janitor
That's what I'm saying.

How can you ruin something that was pretty broken already?

I'm somebody who doesn't necessarily need the characters in my fiction to look like. "Representation" is cool but it's not a deal breaker or motivator for me.

That said I don't appreciate the bait and switch they pulled with Finn at all.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
He's absolutely right.

Dude was a great addition to the franchise and Rian Johnson and his dog shit writing made him into a disposable character who went on a meaningless side quest in the piece of shit that is the last jedi.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Do a timeskip like every other Star Wars movie.
A sequel to TFA did not need to start immediately where TFA left off.

Again, another mistake the sequel trilogy made. No real time skip between TFA and TLJ meant no time for things to happen.

Two films into the final part of the "Skwalker Saga" and everything has taken place over a week. They could have easily given it 6 months and changed the story around that to give the universe time to breath after the events of TFA, and give the characters time to find their place.

Going by the trailers and what they have hinted at, I think we're going to come out of TROS and wonder what the point of most of the TLJ story was in the grand scheme of things.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finn has a wonderful, if slightly underwritten, arc about finding his place in the resistance.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Now that they're done and not interested in Disney+ stuff, they can talk. It's great.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's absolutely right.

Dude was a great addition to the franchise and Rian Johnson and his dog shit writing made him into a disposable character who went on a meaningless side quest in the piece of shit that is the last jedi.
The thing about the last Jedi is that in my opinion on it's own it's a good film about failure and moving on. But how it fits into the trilogy and even setting up the "end of the saga", it's just terrible. Messes everything up.

Dec 22, 2017

I guess they could have stretched out the time she spent trying to engage with him. Establish that she's been there for months, following his daily routine, attempting to connect, but he won't train her.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Even if RJ didn't go that route, that major plot thread would still have needed to be resolved. We needed to hear from Luke, it's the story that TFA set up with it's very first line in the opening crawl.

Not really. TFA just presents Luke as potentially going after some Jedi artifacts/first Jedi temple. Timeskip a year and then have Luke reveal everything to Rey after he completes her training.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not really. TFA just presents Luke as potentially going after some Jedi artifacts/first Jedi temple. Timeskip a year and then have Luke reveal everything to Rey after he completes her training.

no it doesnt.

Han literally says that after what happened to Ben, he abandoned everything because he felt responsible.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
He's right.

And he's right because tlj has a shitty structure, which has always been the issue with it and not people's need to have a culture war.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Finn's arc was building towards him sacrificing himself in TLJ. Rather than run away from his fate and his fears, he was confronting destiny head-on. Rian clearly had second thoughts and relented in the end, having Rose take away the fulfillment of that film's arc from him. I think this all evolves from the film's weird obsession with tying him to the go-nowhere B plot on the gambling planet.