• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This has been well-known for years, and it's terrible, but, taking him at his word, it's heartening that he was reprimanded and cut that shit out.

I understand that this is coming up again because of Clarke being outed as a predator, but it does feel slightly different- stupid jokes and brainless horseplay rather than abuse and assault. Both thoroughly unwelcome, but of different magnitudes.
Yep. It sounds like almost everyone on set and stuff too knew it was him thinking he was funny and wasn't a creepy predator.

Definitely sounds like a case of a guy needing to grow up.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
I knew people who thought this kind of shit was hilarious when I was ...15? 17? Maybe people in college I knew but couldn't stand being around?

This man was nearly 40 when he was on Doctor Who.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I had heard stories over the years. I have met Barrowman several times, always comes across as genuinely nice. Having met him this also doesn't even slightly surprise me but I am glad to hear he cut it out many years ago. Doesn't excuse it but in the early to mid 00s the idea of this sort of thing for comedy was very common in media and in life. I had more than a few friends who thought surprising people with their junk was the height of comedy. Unless anyone comes forward with any accusations that are worse it mostly just feels like weird, bad, 00s idiocy.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh.. I had a friend who also whipped it out whenever he had the chance (when he was a teenager). Must have been proud or something.
It all ended someday when an older woman went furious at him for doing it in public. She embarrassed the fuck out of him. He suddenly realised what he was doing all those years was never funny in the first place. All people do is laugh from embarrassment, never because it's funny to show your dick. IT IS NEVER FUNNY.

By the way: We have a word in the Netherlands for slapping something with your dick: swaffeling

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Very odd behavior.

This line stood out for me at the beginning of the article:

"the corporation allowed a lax culture on its sets during the mid-2000s."

Umm, just the mid-2000's? Jimmy Savile? The BBC has a long history of looking away.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
He posts vids and pics all the time on his IG where his pants are down or showing off his ass running around hotels at conventions

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This guy sounds like a real dick.

Good he cut it out but there's no excuse anyway. You're still taking your dick out and showing everyone. That's gotta be illegal five times over.
Also:
giphy.gif

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
A couple years ago my friends had a thing if somebody fell asleep then another friend would have to rest his balls on your head and take a picture and everybody laughed

Weird fucking times

thank god they grew out of it

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is crazy seeing posters here referring to these incidents as "odd behavior" or "wild antics".

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I used to have a roommate who did shit like this in college after he showered. "hey does this look weird to you?" and would then open his towel
It was always weird af, but I only ever saw him do it around myself and our other roommates. outside of that, he was the chillest guy I knew. I think he thought he was funny or something. it really wasn't, but myself and the other roommates really didn't make much of an issue of it. looking back on it, I definitely had worse roommates, as weird as it sounds.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
It is crazy seeing posters here referring to these incidents as "odd behavior" or "wild antics".

I mean, is there a much better way to describe a grown man pulling out his genitals for a prank?

Outside of there being a deeper sexual meaning - which there it doesn't seem to be based on the article - it is odd...

gross

but odd

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I remember reading an interview with the Farrelly brothers and Cameron Diaz about 'There's Something About Mary' where they were talking about how one of the directors had taken his dick out for a joke during their first meeting with Cameron. This was talked about publicly and they all seemed to think it was funny, but I have sometimes wondered if they were doing that for other actresses and how that'd go down if the person wasn't cool with it. Cause if you ask me, it's sexual assault if the person wants nothing to do with being shown a dick or slapped with a dick or whatever, whether the person doing it meant anything sexual by it or not.

Sounds like Barrowman stopped doing it the first time it upset someone, so there's that, but any 'joke' that turns into sexual assault if you do it to someone who, say, was flashed at when they were a kid, isn't worth all the laughs in the world to risk pulling.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Didn't Christopher Eccleston and John Barrowman have issues with each other? I remember hearing about that

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen John Barrowman many times at conventions, he's pretty famous for his over the top panels. He thoroughly enjoys making dirty jokes and such. This kind of behavior seems pretty much right in his wheel house unfortunately, and is not surprising in the least.

Not a great look, and a shame because the guy does a lot of great work with the LGTBQ community and is one of the nicest celebrities I've ever met in person, you can tell he really loves his fans.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That shit was everywhere in mid 00s comedy. I knew guys that did this to each other all the time.

Sucks. Glad we got past that and it sounds like he did too.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I've seen a few gay people on TV and in my day-to-day life treat their sexuality as some kind of free ticket to assault people. Obviously it's a tiny, tiny minority but it's weird to see gay men groping women and using "I'm only messing around, I'm gay!" as a get out of jail free card.
Gay guy I worked with had his dick out all the time. I thought it was funny if I'm being honest. He wasn't putting it on shoulders though.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Considering some stuff I've heard at cons about him I'm not surprised. Ugh

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
k9IJi4f.gif

Glad to hear he stopped it, but pretty lame to hear "no no no it wasn't ever intended as a sexual thing." If it involves your genitalia it is a sexual thing.

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
I remember an old Ricky Gervais XFM show from 2001 where they had Jonathon Ross on as a guest, and as he entered the studio, he flashed his cock and everyone laughed and apparently it was a very common thing for him.

www.youtube.com

15/12/01 - Jonathon Ross' 'Massive Member' (2) - Ricky Gervais XFM Series 1

"The Ricky Gervais Show" on XFM 104.9 - Series 1 Episode 6 - 15/12/01Jonathan Ross pops in to drop off tickets for an award show and exposes his "massive mem...

It was a very, very common thing 20 years ago.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Glad to hear he stopped it, but pretty lame to hear "no no no it wasn't ever intended as a sexual thing." If it involves your genitalia it is a sexual thing.

Is urination sexual?

I think the point here is that while John probably intended no sexual meaning, it wouldn't be clear to the people inadvertently seeing his exposed dong that that was the case.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
This dipshit in little league used to do this after practice and everyone got tired of it. Our shortstop snapped one day and swung a bat at his nuts. Kid was out for a few weeks and honestly everyone was kind of relieved. I think one of his nuts got smashed in too.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Is urination sexual?

I think the point here is that while John probably intended no sexual meaning, it wouldn't be clear to the people inadvertently seeing his exposed dong that that was the case.
If I whip my dick out on front of someone and pee yes it is absolutely sexual, and here in certain states will lead to you being put on the sex offender list.

I understand their point that John didn't intend for it to be sexual, but when other people are forcibly exposed to his genitalia, his intentions don't really matter much. It is an act of sexual assault to expose yourself to others without their foreknowledge whether it's for funsies or gratification.

Shackleton

Banned
Mar 19, 2021
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory Accusations, Downplaying Sexual Harassment; Account in Junior Phase
I can't help but feel that criticism of barroman is just sly homophobia. It was apparently tomfoolery, should we be making judgement years after the event?

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I can't help but feel that criticism of barroman is just sly homophobia. It was apparently tomfoolery, should we be making judgement years after the event?
If a regular 40+ year old person was going around the office taking their dick out for a laugh no one would give them the benefit of the doubt. Flashing people is gross and it's not like he was some young child who didn't know better.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Damn I've hear of mooning and to be honest use to do it to friends in high school, but like your Wiley come on. Then I read he slapped them with it like what the bloody fuck is wrong with you!!!

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
absolutely NOT forgiving the behavior, but I think it's very interesting that noone pulled him aside and said "yeah, this is not OK"....and when someone finally did, it sounds like he stopped. It's as if he really didn't see anything wrong with it, thinking that noone was bothered by it, but when he was reprimanded, he straightened out.
I find it very hard to believe that none of the crew felt like it was crossing the line, but until someone says as much we won't know for sure. He will probably (rightfully) be under more scrutiny going forward though.

I understand their point that John didn't intend for it to be sexual, but when other people are forcibly exposed to his genitalia, his intentions don't really matter much. It is an act of sexual assault to expose yourself to others without their foreknowledge whether it's for funsies or gratification.
I think in most places exposure would be considered sexual harassment unless it was explicitly sexual. That said there's plenty of examples of him making contact with people which would be considered assault.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

people shouldn't be getting their genitals out for a joke in a workplace, regardless of their sexuality

if someone felt uncomfortable/called him out, and he's learnt from it and doesn't do it anymore, then that's absolutely fine and good on him - better to learn and correct yourself than to not!

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I find it very hard to believe that none of the crew felt like it was crossing the line, but until someone says as much we won't know for sure. He will probably (rightfully) be under more scrutiny going forward though.

I think in most places exposure would be considered sexual harassment unless it was explicitly sexual. That said there's plenty of examples of him making contact with people which would be considered assault.
I don't really care to fixate on the details, but flashing is considered sexual assault by many. Whether his dick touched someone or not didn't meaningfully differentiate the actions performed, the sexual nature implied, or the possible repercussions - if you're okay with defining someone setting their dick on a shoulder as sexual assault, then someone waving their dick inches away from the shoulder should be considered with the same standard.

I'm not speaking legally or from any great font of knowledge, I just googled it before my initial post for the distinction and find I agree with those that consider flashing sexual assault. If it's an inappropriate use of the phrase then that's my bad, but either way flashing someone for funsies or gratification is still sexual in nature, and it's not up to the perpetrator to define whether or not it was sexual.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
His orientation shouldn't give him a pass for behavior that his co-workers found uncomfortable and that almost everyone in the world understands is not ok in a professional setting.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
I went to see the image of John barrowman and fans gropping each other at cons. It's some real hard gropping lol.

I can't imagine people at work dick slapping left and right like they're 15 in high school and even then it's always the weird dude doing it.... I remember a guy in high school who would tear some of its dick hair and throw it on people desks ... Or another that would constantly slap the desk with his junk. That shit was so uncomfortable then... How can you still do it when you're like 40 or so

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
I... I didn't know. Thank you for correcting that.

Oddly, this is an example of Barrowman's style of humor. Supposedly, he wasn't getting out of the actress, and the director said "Say something extreme, and see if that lightens her up." He said that, thinking it was only for the crew, and it made it into the move, because who gives a shit. It's a Syfy Original.