• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I can't believe I have to even say this, but what he stands to gain is literally this thread lol.

I would agree if this was some kid trying to go viral and make his Youtuber millions. Problem is it's an older guy who's clearly rich as fuck posting a weekly VLOG that's only sometimes tangentially related to videogames.

Oct 27, 2017
Based solely on OP's video - this guy seems like an entitled douche... like no shit they're going to talk about how small the box, cart, system is.... it is small and that was super impressive at launch! Trashing other content creators while whining about being censored- f this guy.

also these embargoed videos seem to be unboxing videos- not system reviews. This is pretty common isn't it- unboxing like a week or two ahead of launch, review week of? Same thing happened with the series x and ps5 in the last few weeks. If the whole point of the video is showing the box, then the size of the box is likely to come up....

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't sound like Nintendo at all & they send out hardware and software to plenty of outlets that complain about their stuff.

Also I never heard of this guy so it's weird to bring up this story like 4 years later while other systems are launching lol.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I would agree if this was some kid trying to go viral and make his Youtuber millions. Problem is it's an older guy who's clearly rich as fuck posting a weekly VLOG that's only sometimes tangentially related to videogames.

If he isn't on their list of reviewers, I think it's possible that we are looking at a situation where they didn't want him to do a proper review but a sponsored advertorial kind of video instead.

stilgar

Nov 8, 2017
I'm a journalist (not a gaming one), I've covered switch release in France. I'm asked for some big N games for reviewing purposes too.
They were slow sometimes, and sent us the material to late often enough...but never, absolutely never, would they ask for a positive review ahaha that's so unprofessional it's completely absurd

Oct 27, 2017
This is not true. This guy is a notorious liar. Having worked with Nintendo Australia for a long time (and having been one of the Australian outlets sent a Switch prior to launch), there was nothing of the kind in the embargo. It's utterly ridiculous and I can't believe people in this thread are even questioning that tbh.

My memory is that this guy obtained a Switch through other means prior to launch, and was then putting out content, which we all know Nintendo doesn't like.
This is a huge point and one that a lot of people are missing. Again, he got the console through ways that he shouldn't have, and Nintendo tried to gag him. He's obviously still holding a weird vendetta years later.

This guy sounds like a piece of work. Lots of clownshoes stomping around in this thread.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
This is not true. This guy is a notorious liar. Having worked with Nintendo Australia for a long time (and having been one of the Australian outlets sent a Switch prior to launch), there was nothing of the kind in the embargo. It's utterly ridiculous and I can't believe people in this thread are even questioning that tbh.

My memory is that this guy obtained a Switch through other means prior to launch, and was then putting out content, which we all know Nintendo doesn't like.

Surprise Surprise lmao

This like deserves a thread title update or something

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I do have a problem with Nintendo ambassadors. Some are honest like Arlo or Woods but I have seen Nintendo YouTubers spinning every Nintendo decision in something positive. There are legit Nintendo ambassadors who are defending Nintendo's decision to make games only available for a limited time. They also deny any form of drifting problems

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
I do have a problem with Nintendo ambassadors. Some are honest like Arlo or Woods but I have seen Nintendo YouTubers spinning every Nintendo decision in something positive. There are legit Nintendo ambassadors who are defending Nintendo's decision to make games only available for a limited time. They also deny any form of drifting problems

I follow tons of Nintendo-centric youtubers, but haven't come across anyone defending these. Any particular examples?

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I follow tons of Nintendo-centric youtubers, but haven't come across anyone defending these. Any particular examples?
Missclick and player essence for example in a episode of the spawn wave podcast. When the Mario collection was announced Missclick called limited releases "a wonderful thing" and player essence was making funny noises imitating people who critiqued the decision.

They both were really rude to anyone on the cast who didn't agree with them. There are also channels who kept denying that joy con drifting is a reall thing claiming that they haven't experienced it themselves so it must be fake news

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
It's all a joke. I didn't bother looking at a bunch of reviews for new consoles. I'd rather hear from gamers or Digital Foundry post launch, because that's when places are more honest. The early buzz is always one step below ads.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised many are handwaving this away and rather focus on whether he deserves something free or not.

Non transparent "reviews" that are just marketing are way worse.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just watch the fist few seconds of the video. He owns some of the rarest gaming items. E.g. the first ever Famicom and an actual Ultra 64.

So wait, am I'm supposed to feel bad that some guy who has a videogames room that is literally bigger than any house I've ever been able to stay in couldn't get a freebie? I think I'm good.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I also remember when the world unanimously agreed the Switch was flawless and to this day has the most loved and huge controllers ever.
I know what you're actually saying but...

1485779735_1315035.jpg

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are handwaving this away because someone from another Australian outlet in this thread has said this is nonsense.

People already did it before.

Also, as of now it is one person saying something and another something else. It's way too convenient to just trust the one that fits your opinion.

And it's not even like one if them has to be wrong. Companies tell things differently to people different people all the time.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People already did it before.

Also, as of now it is one person saying something and another something else. It's way too convenient to just trust the one that fits your opinion.

And it's not even like one if them has to be wrong. Companies tell things differently to people different people all the time.
Well we got another from Stilgar on this very page, saying Nintendo has never demanded a positive review from them.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know why he's called an "influencer." What does he influence by having a ton of money and lots of games and showing it off. He's just a guy, there's no reason to have him review anything.

Yep. What entitles this guy to get a free Switch to review? And where's the evidence they made these demands? I haven't seen a single other person come forward with anything like this.

He wanted to review the Switch his way, so he had to buy one like the rest of us. Big deal.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
So from my understanding, he does not belong to the press, he's just a youtuber or nobody who wants be somebody by doing nothing.

Well honey, if you wanted to get a free Switch before launch date just because of your pretty face, it's stupid to think they would give it to you that easily because your name is Joel, it's obvious they would ask you to do publicity, not to give your opinion when nobody asked you to.
If you wanted to do an unboxing video or whatever giving your own opinion, you waited until launch date or later and pay it with your money like all the mortals have done.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the guy is full of shit, Nintendo never does this. I've been getting stuff from Nintendo for over 10 years and this was never a thing.

Vervain

Oct 27, 2017
Well we got another from Stilgar on this very page, saying Nintendo has never demanded a positive review from them.

You can throw me into that as well.

I can back Shancake up in saying that after working with Nintendo of Australia for years that they have never once requested a positive review or asked for anything specific to be included in any coverage of any sort.

For that matter, no developer, publisher or distributor I've worked with at any point has made any sort of demands on the contents of our reviews beyond asking that spoilers be avoided.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
So from my understanding, he does not belong to the press, he's just a youtuber or nobody who wants be somebody by doing nothing.

Well honey, if you wanted to get a free Switch before launch date just because of your pretty face, it's stupid to think they would give it to you that easily because your name is Joel, it's obvious they would ask you to do publicity, not to give your opinion when nobody asked you to.
If you wanted to do an unboxing video or whatever giving your own opinion, you waited until launch date or later and pay it with your money like all the mortals have done.
I think thats pretty much it - he is a youtuber and thought that because of his clout or followers would get the same treatment as IGN, Edge, Gameinformer and co.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen reviewers say mulitple times that nintendo doesn't seem to care what they say and often send them the games to review ages in advance because they're so confident of their games

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
If this is true, why would Nintendo even do that? If anything this would be bad Marketing because you would destroy a good relationship to reviewers in the long term. Many people don't want their opinion to be bought and it is not like Joel Hopkins is implying that Nintendo was offering him money to have a more positive review by him. It would be strange when this many journalists would trowing their integrity over board to get a console some weeks earlier. I mean the switch had reviews by non-gaming media like the guardian or the new york times. They would have no interest in lying about the quality of a gaming console.

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
Was it every video or just the videos of the games on the system he obtained illegally? That's a very important distinction.
According to the video, he's alleging that he got takedown notices on everything Nintendo-related, regardless of the actual video content. Of course, there's no way to verify that what he's saying is true, so I'm taking it with a pinch of salt.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes possibly but I kind of get the idea this dude is obscenely wealthy YouTube channel or not.
He's probably not seeking money, he's just trying to spin a tale that makes him look like the hero fighting back against big bad Nintendo, and getting validation from people falling for it. Like they are in this thread.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
It's all marketing. And at the end of the day it's hobbyist media at best. Who cares really.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
it's pretty amazing that we have verified press on this thread debunking this dude but we still have people going "mmmh but what if Nintendo was big bad"
I guess some people really love their conspiracy theories that much.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's pretty amazing that we have verified press on this thread debunking this dude but we still have people going "mmmh but what if Nintendo was big bad"
No it's more simple than that, it's just people not having read the debunking post.

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
People see what they want to see. And there's a lot of people unhealthily obsessed with Nintendo being big bad here.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I can't confirm or deny this particular story but I've been working with Nintendo for more than a decade and while they can be... particular in some ways, I can't remember them ever trying to influence coverage or withholding early products because of negative coverage.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they'd send a Switch to someone with such a modest Youtube presence, to be honest, but I don't know the Ozzie YT situation.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
This is a weird video. Like, I sorta' agree with him in that I wouldn't entirely feel right being Nintendo's mouthpiece but after listening to this guy, he does come off a bit entitled and sound a bit slighted during his review, and honestly, it makes it hard to agree with him.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Missclick and player essence for example in a episode of the spawn wave podcast. When the Mario collection was announced Missclick called limited releases "a wonderful thing" and player essence was making funny noises imitating people who critiqued the decision.

They both were really rude to anyone on the cast who didn't agree with them. There are also channels who kept denying that joy con drifting is a reall thing claiming that they haven't experienced it themselves so it must be fake news
Those two would still be as bias even without being ambassadors honestly. Reason why I don't care listening to them.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Just watch the fist few seconds of the video. He owns some of the rarest gaming items. E.g. the first ever Famicom and an actual Ultra 64.

I've seen his tour video before... I always wonder just how large his house much be to have that much space dedicated to gaming (or he lives in a converted warehouse or something).

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
While you are right in saying that Nintendo doesn't owe anyone a review product - however we should be aware that when we watch embargoed reviews, there will be restrictions on criticism from the reviewers.
I have a huge problem with this practice, for example the Eurogamer review of the PS5 was changed after publication because Sony claimed one part of it (the error screen when you insert an m2 drive in the console) violated their review guidelines.
Eurogamer were clear that they had changed the article but it raises the question of how games journalists can be honest about the products they are covering if the manufacturers have final say on content.

We should demand transparency from anyone publishing a review and no manufacturer or publisher should have final say on any product review.

Last edited:

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020

I follow Playeressence and he only makes fun of people that complain and complain, and end up buying the thing. Which is stupid, honestly. I can't speak for the other one though.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I follow Playeressence and he only makes fun of people that complain and complain, and end up buying the thing. Which is stupid, honestly. I can't speak for the other one though.
It was in a episode of the spawn wave podcast. Nate was arguing that limited releases are anti consumer. Missclick and OJ acted extremely rude towards him. It was uncomfortable to watch.

After that I stopped following both.

The vote with your wallet thing I find difficult. I was sceptical about Pokémon S&S. People said I had to play the game first otherwise you can't have a opinion. Bought and played the game and did not like it. Now people are saying I'm part of the problem since I complain but still buy it. It's a lose lose situation

Deleted member 60135

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 21, 2019
It was in a episode of the spawn wave podcast. Nate was arguing that limited releases are anti consumer. Missclick and OJ acted extremely rude towards him. It was uncomfortable to watch.

After that I stopped following both.

The vote with your wallet thing I find difficult. I was sceptical about Pokémon S&S. People said I had to play the game first otherwise you can't have a opinion. Bought and played the game and did not like it. Now people are saying I'm part of the problem since I complain but still buy it. It's a lose lose situation

Yeah that's always a weird fanboyism, that there's essentially no correct way to criticize a game without your decision regarding playing it somehow undermining it. Either you don't play it, so you're wrong, you do buy it and it's "well they got your money so haha," you borrow/play at a friend's and "you didn't get the full experience," or you outright pirate it and your opinion is invalid because you Did A Bad.

I'm genuinely curious how this Missclick persion spun a limited release as positive, since most defenses are basically that it's a neutral decision.