• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I watched almost an hour of it and would agree that platforming Jones seems irresponsible. I had never seen him at length (only clips of his craziness) but he's obviously very charismatic and a good talker and I'm convinced that he created a good number of climate change sceptics in that first hour. I think when people boil his stances down to "gay frogs" and his positions the Parkland shooting, that's actually making him seem more harmless than he is because that stuff is obvious nonsense. He gish-galloped the fuck out of Joe, who actually tried to push back and fact check him but the sheer amount of (probable) bullshit is very hard to keep up. I read up a lot on climate change in 2019 and I'm familiar with the IPCC reports well enough but I could have not refuted all of Jones' crap on the spot. Preparing for conspiracy theorists is a waste of time in my opinion and platforming them is irresponsible unless you're extremely well equipped.
This is the problem with Joe Rogan defenders, they think he brings Nazis and conspiracy theorists and other dangerous people to debate them. They think oh no Joe Rogan didn't challenge them enough, he should be better at that. They don't want to wrestle with the reality that Joe Rogan brings Nazis and other bigots in because he wants to platform them and agrees with the shit they believe. Joe Rogan is a white bigot who enables all this because he wants more white folks to be radicalised to become extreme right wing. Humour is one of their main tools to mainstream white supremacy. Just like it was for literal Nazis back in the day, when they weren't taken seriously as they got platformed. Just like when liberals thought letting Trump get platformed would mean they would need to just fact-check him and make fun of him, so everyone else would not vote for him. Spotify is enabling all this. No excuses.

www.newstatesman.com

First they came for Pepe: How “ironic” Nazism is taking over the internet

Over the last year, various internet subcultures have embraced Nazi iconography while simultaneously claiming to hold no Nazi beliefs. Why?
It is also important to note that many who claim to be "satirical" Nazis are simply hiding behind a thin veil of plausible deniability. The word "irony" – however incorrectly it's being used – allows them to spread Nazi messages and iconography whilst denying culpability. It also leaves many on the left unsure where they stand. What's more important: combatting hate speech or protecting free speech?​
Kassie is a 31-year-old graduate student who reached out to me after being mocked for taking Trash Dove seriously as an alt-right symbol - proving that online trends can have real-world consequences. "My friend is liberal but thinks I'm overreacting and don't understand satire," she tells me. "But I don't get why I have to call Nazi jokes satire.​
"The most frustrating part is that my concern is immediately written off as stupid because I don't belong to the community. If we get past that part, then I'm overreacting or dumb because I don't get that it's ironic or I don't understand that it's a joke. But I get that on some level people are saying that it's a joke, and some are 'just joking' and I still think that a joke can be racist and misogynist and alt-right or whatever.​
"I'm just left with feeling like I've fallen down a hole of ironic devils advocates who use that as an excuse to say 'funny' racist and misogynistic things."​

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
He's voting for Trump. He said he's not voting for Biden. Dunno how he can support Bernie who absolutely abhors Truml except out of wilful ignorance and a very distorted view of politics.
I don't know. Rogan kind of gives me the vibe of a guy who will talk a bunch on politics but also has never mailed a ballot or seen a voting booth in his life.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Apple does not pay Joe Rogan.

You can use the Podcast app to download just about anything but Apple doesn't pay This American Life when you download their podcast.

Ah ok. I saw the Joe Rogan Experience on the Apple site, so I assumed they also paid him.

Haven't looked for him anywhere, but it's my understanding he's Spotify exclusive. They paid him a lot of money for that.

He seems to be on the Apple site. I have no idea how this shit works though. I don't do podcasts.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's voting for Trump. He said he's not voting for Biden. Dunno how he can support Bernie who absolutely abhors Trump except out of wilful ignorance and a very distorted view of politics.

He doesn't actually support Bernie. Just one episode after the Bernie one, he pulled way back and said "maybe Trump would be better, I don't know."

Dude is either one of the stupidest people alive or he's a fantastic actor who knows just how to push people towards conservatism. Well, maybe both.

crimnos

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, cool, platforming someone who says his political opponents are literal agents of the literal devil and peddles diet Q-Anon shit in addition to the Sandy Hook bullshit. He also maybe technically killed someone? All good stuff. Both sides am I right

Anyway, that's my Spotify subscription canceled.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Think what you want about Joe and Alex Jones. But Tim Dillon is one of the only decent comedians left in the US. Been following him a good while and one of the good things Joe does is he gives talented people like him a platform which they deserve.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
The fact that Alex Jones can still have a platform or expect to be still listened to after all the heinous bullshit he put the Sandy Hook victims through baffles me. How anyone can find any of it "entertaining" or "informative" even moreso. The fucking turd just said all this shit to get attention and sell his crappy "nutrition" suppliments to fucking shit-heels.

I hope he eventually ends up like Milo Y, struggling like the parasite he is.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I want to cancel my Spotify but trying to figure out what service to go with that works with Sonos and Google Home. Also I will miss Last Podcast on the Left. Podcast exclusivity is shit.

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the last one of these and I actually got a lot out of it, you start to see how Jones' lies work, there's a nugget of truth in there that he's just too fucking dumb to understand properly, then he combines it with complete bullshit he's read somewhere else, and frames it in a voice of outrage that sucks people in.

Prime example is the vaccine thing that Rogan tried to use to defend Jones (and himself) on instagram, it went like this:

- Jones sees an interview where Bill Gates admits that 100% of people who received a first round vaccine reported side-effects
- Jones doesn't understand that a lot of vaccines have side effects, antimalarial's for example have some nasty ones, doesn't mean they don't work or that they're a bad idea.
- Jones' fucked up brain conflates 'side-effects' somehow with 'Polio'
- Jones yells on Rogan about how Bill Gates admitted 'ON NATIONAL TELEVISION' 100% of people who take the covid vaccine will get polio or die or both

Rogan fact checks that the interview exists, is amazed it does, is too dumb himself to understand where he's gone wrong and hey presto you've got yourself another 'JONES IS A TRUTHTELLER' moment.

I don't think I ever would have understood this without seeing Jones ramble and rave on for 3 hours (I'm generally pretty dumb and gullible so excuse me for that), so from that point of view I appreciate him being a guest on the show. But after Sandy Hook, after all the fucking horrible shit he's put completely innocent people through, to sit there and say this guy is anything more than a severely mentally ill man who shouldn't be believed at face value ever, is just inexcusable. And the timing of this podcast a week before an election being fought mostly around Covid is a clear sign to me that any liberal leaning Rogan has displayed in the past was just him faking it to make it in LA and now he's in Texas he'll go off the deep end.

It is disappointing because I do agree with things Rogan has said about the issues with the way the public is presented information and people and how long form podcasts are a good antidote some of those problems, but it's pretty clear that his 'show both sides' philosophy is really 'make me feel better about not genuinely agreeing with the left about anything'.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Joe Rogan gonna Joe Rogan. Dude loves Alex Jones. Spotify had to know what they were getting into. That's why they're defending it, I mean they can't have signed him to that contract and not listened to his podcast.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to Alex Jones for longer than 5 mins is genuinely exhausting. I'm blown away that anyone can do it.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
If I want to cancel Spotify and get a service that is similar in interface and listen to podcasts, what's the best option. I will cancel today.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Trolling with irrelevant whataboutism
I wonder how many of you are similarly up in arms over MSNBC platforming as brave truth-tellers Bush-era war criminals and propagandists.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Ah ok. I saw the Joe Rogan Experience on the Apple site, so I assumed they also paid him.

He seems to be on the Apple site. I have no idea how this shit works though. I don't do podcasts.
Literally anyone can be on Apple Podcasts. You host the podcast yourself and just submit the link to them. Spotify is similar, as are most podcast apps. They're basically link depositories for all. If they've got the hosting they're on. Paying people is mostly through ads not Spotify, the Rogan thing was a very specific deal that hasn't kicked in fully yet.

even if you pulled Rogan from showing up on the Apple page you could still just add the podcast manually via the URL (which is how Patreon pods work). Basically as long as he has web hosting he's got a podcast.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Think what you want about Joe and Alex Jones. But Tim Dillon is one of the only decent comedians left in the US. Been following him a good while and one of the good things Joe does is he gives talented people like him a platform which they deserve.
I feel like giving a platform to guys like Gavin McInnes erases any "good" he's done.
And considering that comedian is wearing a shirt supporting a child predator, even as a "joke" makes me question your taste.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You may not want to look at his Twitter feed.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

He will be until end of the year. Then new shows will be exclusive to Spotify, same with YT. His stuff will be on YT until the end of the year and then only Spotify.

Spotify paid him for the exclusive. This is a new thing with podcasting. Previously, most podcasters were on everything--Apple Podcast, YT, public RSS. Now Spotify and other players are paying talent for exclusive podcasts as a way to add more content to their offerings.

Oct 25, 2017
Spotify paid him for the exclusive. This is a new thing with podcasting. Previously, most podcasters were on everything--Apple Podcast, YT, public RSS. Now Spotify and other players are paying talent for exclusive podcasts as a way to add more content to their offerings.

While Spotify is the first to do actual platform lockin, locking content behind some kind of app or paywall is not new to podcasts. Stitcher and Earwolf have had similar paid access to backlog content for some time now.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Just disgusting. I'm so sick of the right's contestant coy, uncommitted, bad-faith practice of boosting things that they don't explicitly claim to support, but clearly do support.

"Wellllll I never said I agreeeeeed with him......"

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty.
If I want to cancel Spotify and get a service that is similar in interface and listen to podcasts, what's the best option. I will cancel today.
Apple podcast works fine. I️ have podcast cast which I️ think is free but may have cost a couple bucks (I've been using it for years at this point). Over cast is another popular one.

pretty much any podcast catcher app works better than Spotify tbh. It wasn't built for podcast in mind IMO

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Jones still in court for spreading conspiracy theories about murdered kindergarten children and getting the parents of those children harrassed.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
There's plenty.

Apple podcast works fine. I️ have podcast cast which I️ think is free but may have cost a couple bucks (I've been using it for years at this point). Over cast is another popular one.

pretty much any podcast catcher app works better than Spotify tbh. It wasn't built for podcast in mind IMO

thanks. I have been with Spotify for years so I just need to create these playlists over. I listened to the Joe Budden Podcast, and that is no longer on Spotify.

appreciate it.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Most of those old conspiracy theories still traded in evangelical doomsaying with rampant antisemitism sprinkled in
Sure, but nobody was spared. Yes, they were pretty much all just veiled (or outright...) anti-semitism, but everyone was supposedly in on it.

Now, you've got a bunch of very enthusiastic people who are completely untethered from reality, but are united behind a man who has no qualms about using them as a blunt object against his political enemies.

It's a cult on a massive scale.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

I mean if we're just looking at that tweet I don't disagree. Testosterone develops bone density which is a permanent change to the body. It's not TERFy to think it's insane/dangerous to allow people with such a physical advantage fight other women. Saying the slur word isn't great but also I have the capacity to understand it's a comedian trying to provoke. I don't take my comedians seriously or look at them for ethical guidance. I'm not sure why the world seems to think that's how things should be now.

Besides the point - I think Tim is hilarious most of the time. The best comedians have the ability to completely fuck your moral compass and leave you stunned and gasping for breath. I wouldn't quite put Tim in that category - maybe someone like Hans Teeuwen.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
It's a joke, Tim Dillon a comedian

Tim Dillon sucks. Ive seen him on a few other podcasts and he isnt funny and loves to push his shitty alt-right Qanon hot takes, but when anyone calls him out on it, he hides behind the veil of "its just a joke".

The last time I saw him, he pretty much said we should listen to Qanon because alot of what they say is true and that HIllary will be looked at as an evil person in the history books.

Is Rogan not able to get famous people on his show anymore because he lives in Texas?

Its pretty stupid to move a podcast from LA to Austin because not a lot of guests are going to fly out there but a lot will drive to your studio if it is in the same city.

I wonder how these deals with Simmons and Rogan are going to work out for Spotify.

I wonder what hes gonna do about the constant weed smoking as it isnt legal here. Is he just gonna do it and get away with it because hes a rich white guy? Or will he try and be a spokesperson in Texas to get it legalized? NORML (biggest canabis activist in texas attempting to get it legalized) could use someone like Joe to get these old fucking dipshits to wake up.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if we're just looking at that tweet I don't disagree. Testosterone develops bone density which is a permanent change to the body. It's not TERFy to think it's insane/dangerous to allow people with such a physical advantage fight other women. Saying the slur word isn't great but also I have the capacity to understand it's a comedian trying to provoke. I don't take my comedians seriously or look at them for ethical guidance. I'm not sure why the world seems to think that's how things should be now.

Besides the point - I think Tim is hilarious most of the time. The best comedians have the ability to completely fuck your moral compass and leave you stunned and gasping for breath. I wouldn't quite put Tim in that category - maybe someone like Hans Teeuwen.

It's still dangerous and feeds into rhetoric around people being against Transgender athletes.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

It is, so good job absorbing and regurgitating Gender Critical talking points, I guess. Alongside hand-waving the use of transphobic slurs as 'provocative comedy'. People aren't looking to comedians for ethical guidance they're criticising them for promoting bigoted opinions and whining about not being able to use slurs against trans people.

Both sex hormones are necessary for bone health as once they decline (as in hormone therapy for a transsexual person), bone density begins to be lost. This is because, without the influence of the hormones, the cells which break down bone begin to work faster than the cells making new bone, so a deficiency in bone density occurs.
If an individual is on female hormones, and she's been on them for several years, the hormones decrease the muscle mass, bone density, strength, libido and aggression. Those things are attributed to testosterone, and if she no longer produces testosterone, then she would have the level that an average female would have.
Most measures of physical strength minimize, muscle mass decreases, bone density decreases, and they become fairly comparable to women in their musculature. After as much time as has passed in her case, if tested, she would probably end up in the same muscle mass category as her biologically born female counterpart.
bleacherreport.com

Fallon Fox and the Culture of Ignorance Within MMA

If you have even a passing interest in the day-to-day happenings in mixed martial arts, you have no doubt heard about Fallon Fox , MMA ’s first transgender athlete. The story has been discussed ad nauseam over the past ten days or so...
www.bloodyelbow.com

Bloody Elbow - UFC, MMA and Boxing News

Bloody Elbow has been a leading voice in combat sports since formation in 2007 and has earned a global reputation for expert analysis, opinion and news.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many of you are similarly up in arms over MSNBC platforming as brave truth-tellers Bush-era war criminals and propagandists.

I don't think you can make any implication that Era posters tut-tut "centrists" like Rogan and then excuse "leftist" outlets like MSNBC for similar behaviour. Plenty of people on Era hate all cable news. Hell, it seems like there's more anti-NYT sentiment on this site than pro-NYT sentiment. If you read enough of the political discussion here, Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer are seen as Republican-enablers by many posters.

So yeah, Joe Rogan is right of MSNBC, NYT, and the Speaker of the House, who all spend their time in the barrel on here, so no wonder people are "up in arms" over Rogan.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Transphobia over a series of posts; numerous prior bans for inflammatory behavior including a severe ban for sexism.
It is, so good job absorbing and regurgitating Gender Critical talking points, I guess. Alongside hand-waving the use of transphobic slurs as 'provocative comedy'. People aren't looking to comedians for ethical guidance they're criticising them for promoting bigoted opinions and whining about not being able to use slurs against trans people.]

There is a trend of semi pro males transitioning and dominating the female scene. Whatever mental gymnastics you want to make to think that's fair competition - go for it. There's also plenty of world class female fighters who have accounts of simply "never being hit that hard in my career before". It's dangerous and not fair competition.

I won't continue this debate but I have friends in the LGBT community who are quite literally leaders in their field and are scared to speak up against the competitive sports side of things because they know people just shout them down with nonsense. Plenty of professional female athetes too. It's ridiculous people pretend it's fair competition. This site - and you - are not worth debating with on this subject so back to the gaming side I go.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"but he had Bernie on that one time!"

He's essentially replaced Howard Stern as the go-to shock jock.

I don't recall Stern hosting neo-Nazis or rampaging alt-right psychopaths, but Rogan at least *tries* to act impartial by inviting liberals on as well.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
There is a trend of semi pro males transitioning and dominating the female scene. Whatever mental gymnastics you want to make to think that's fair competition - go for it. There's also plenty of world class female fighters who have accounts of simply "never being hit that hard in my career before". It's dangerous and not fair competition.

I won't continue this debate but I have friends in the LGBT community who are quite literally leaders in their field and are scared to speak up against the competitive sports side of things because they know people just shout them down with nonsense. Plenty of professional female athetes too. It's ridiculous people pretend it's fair competition. This site - and you - are not worth debating with on this subject so back to the gaming side I go.
The usual TERF response to science based conclusions. Have fun listening to the sand.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

No competition is fair. None.

Instead of actually engaging, you'd rather continue to use TERF talking points and leave. I hope you realize how hurtful the rhetoric you're using is.