• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Update Jan 29th:

Sea of Thieves is now the 9th best selling game on Xbox vs being the 32nd last week.

oCZ9zzz.png

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/top-paid/games/xbox

Original Post:

Nothing too surprising given the status of the game on Twitch, but figured it was worth noting just to get confirmation.

Also addresses the current ban of cheaters (a very small percentage) and the reconfirms the already announced updates.

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
It would be complete nonsense to think the rise in popularity on Twitch and social media wouldn't affect game sales, Gamepass subscriptions and monthly active users.

These streams are like free commercials.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Great for them. Game was definitely lacking content on release, but they've done a good job of providing significant content updates. Personally not up my alley, but I'm glad people are starting to get the experiences they've been looking for.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Also confirming that "Inside Xbox" is returning on the 5th of February? Was this already known?

Oct 27, 2017
If so many people play it I wonder why I always see so little player ships when I play. Would love it to be a bit more crowded in the seas.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was wrong about this game, i'll probably never come back to it but i'm glad its doing well. I thought it'd be dead in the water by now.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
If so many people play it I wonder why I always see so little player ships when I play. Would love it to be a bit more crowded in the seas.
This. It's VERY rare to see a full server in my experience.

Rare was back a year ago when SoT released... then the playerbase dried up... now they're back again? For a few weeks? A month? We know it's unlikely they'll keep the numbers again as this resurgence came out of nowhere for no other reason than Summit began to stream it again and started developing a crazy following. It's been 2 months since the last real update so it wasn't based on new content. The "stuff" added to the game since launch is great (IMO) but not drastically different, or deep enough to keep the players engaged (as most seem to be PvP focused Twitch viewers) until Arena is launched (seems like it's months away from what Joe's said). I'm excited for SoT but still think it should have been delayed a year and come out with everything included so far plus Arena, Pets, Fishing and more islands and mission variety.

SoT has the best "bones"... it would have made an amazing MMO-esq pirate game.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017
Rare should probably give Summit1G a custom cosmetic item or something. He's basically the reason this is happening (obviously Shrouded Spoils was a good update). As I'm typing this Sea of Thieves is the #2 game on Twitch.

Last edited:

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't touched this game since I reviewed it last year and was fairly dissapointing by it. I may reinstall it this weekend to give it a go again.

It was barely alive. Many left it and it was at the bottom of twitch. I remember when it came out it was empty and many shat on it. The game has been improved since but it still has the same problems with the terrible combat and boring fetch quests

Uh oh. Um, this was he main reason I stopped playing, still being the same? Like, I loved just sailing and exploring but the combat and quests killed the joy for me.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
It was barely alive. Many left it and it was at the bottom of twitch. I remember when it came out it was empty and many shat on it. The game has been improved since but it still has the same problems with the terrible combat and boring fetch quests

It has always been in the top 50 most played games on Xbox. But recently it increased from 30-40th place to 20-30th place in most regions.

I haven't touched this game since I reviewed it last year and was fairly dissapointing by it. I may reinstall it this weekend to give it a go again.

Uh oh. Um, this was he main reason I stopped playing, still being the same? Like, I loved just sailing and exploring but the combat and quests killed the joy for me.

The core game is still the same. The game just throws more stuff at you. More krakens, ghost ships, megalodons. More skeleton forts. Added volcanos and fog. It feels a bit more alive.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
I LOVED playing sea of thieves. It was an incredible looking world, which was so much fun... it just needed a single player/coop game with it. That was all. A proper game behind it.

But the world they created, the way it played, it was all too notch, and I hate to see it get bad mouthed. I would rather play it than many of the new big hitters that people for some reason love. At least it was FUN.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
If they can capitalize on this then great for them. I doubt their current dev velocity will satisfy the playerbase for long, though.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'd say wait till february the fifth. They'll talk more about what they are going to add to Sea of Thieves on Inside Xbox that day. It's possible they'll talk about the new content update which will add more storyline and more quest diversity to the game.