• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
apnews.com

China didn't warn public of likely pandemic for 6 key days

In the six days after top Chinese officials secretly determined they likely were facing a pandemic from a new coronavirus, the city of Wuhan at the epicenter of the disease hosted a mass banquet for tens of thousands of people; millions began traveling through for Lunar New Year celebrations.

"This is tremendous," said Zuo-Feng Zhang, an epidemiologist at the University of California, Los Angeles. "If they took action six days earlier, there would have been much fewer patients and medical facilities would have been sufficient. We might have avoided the collapse of Wuhan's medical system."

Handled it better my ass, I'd say they're neck and neck in both incompetence and evil, the CCP put more importance on social order and economy rather than the well being and safety of their citizens, just like Trump, it wasn't until they realized they couldn't control the outbreak and the information that they started to act, again just like Trump. Only difference is the CCP saw that finishing off the outbreak is better in the long run rather than reopening the economy unlke Trump, but after what? 6 days of trying to hide it if not more?

Sorry bud but I think that difference you allude to does firmly place the US in the "can't throw stones" category. At least not when their first approach to this problem and their genius idea of how to differentiate themselves from the GOP is thoroughly confused racist dog-whistley shit like this.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Fuck, some of you people can't even let us have a discussion about racism/xenophobia without beating us over the head with "vote blue no matter who tho".
fuckin lol. Like every time, someone has a legitimate issue with Joe Biden they get beaten over the head with this.

If Asian Americans now don't feel comfortable voting for Joe Biden, and ultimately don't vote, yall have no one to blame but Joe Biden, and the electorate who made Joe Biden the nominee. This is the consequence of Joe Biden being your nominee, own it.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Sorry bud but I think that difference you allude to does firmly place the US in the "can't throw stones" category. At least not when their first approach to this problem and their genius idea of how to differentiate themselves from the GOP is thoroughly confused racist dog-whistley shit like this.

I'm not American, I'll criticize both, whitewashing the CCP in how they handled the outbreak is just ridiculous when they were the key in preventing a global pandemic and yet they chose to hide it.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 month): Ignoring staff post, rationalizing xenophobia
The ad is brilliant. It gives the Republicans who genuinely hate Trump due to how he is handling the virus, an out.

It's marketing to a certain demographic of which the posters here don't belong. He's going to need votes from that demographic, though.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not American, I'll criticize both, whitewashing the CCP in how they handled the outbreak is just ridiculous when they were the key in preventing a global pandemic and yet they chose to hide it.

We're allowed to criticize both! But standing by as the Dems try to reframe this issue this way isn't helping anyone. It's exactly the kind of cynical political theatre that I'd expect more from the GOP.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
It was clear to me in the ad this was referring to the Chinese government and not the Chinese population. My mind never even went there until this thread.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
apnews.com

China didn't warn public of likely pandemic for 6 key days

In the six days after top Chinese officials secretly determined they likely were facing a pandemic from a new coronavirus, the city of Wuhan at the epicenter of the disease hosted a mass banquet for tens of thousands of people; millions began traveling through for Lunar New Year celebrations.
Handled it better my ass, I'd say they're neck and neck in both incompetence and evil, the CCP put more importance on social order and economy rather than the well being and safety of their citizens, just like Trump, it wasn't until they realized they couldn't control the outbreak and the information that they started to act, again just like Trump. Only difference is the CCP saw that finishing off the outbreak is better in the long run rather than reopening the economy unlke Trump, but after what? 6 days of trying to hide it if not more?

The "actions" that they were referring to that was delayed 6 days was the complete lockdown of Wuhan and Hubei.

Everyone in the West, including on Era, slammed it as draconian, anti-human rights, and over-reactive. Now we say they should have done it six days earlier?

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "actions" that they were referring to that was delayed 6 days was the complete lockdown of Wuhan and Hubei.

Everyone in the West, including on Era, slammed it as draconian, anti-human rights, and over-reactive. Now we say they should have done it six days earlier?

Also, thank you, it's helpful to have around people who actually remember facts/details of how things happened (as I typically do not).

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
The posters in this thread and the other saying this wasn't racist at all was making me, a half-Korean, question my own feelings, and my own experience having suffered racism as a result of the situation.

So I showed this ad to my Korean mother, who has also personally experienced racism as a result of the situation, and she agreed it was a racist ad that would stoke the anti-Asian sentiment that has been happening.

I sincerely hope this doesn't turn into a one-upmanship between Trump and Biden over who is more in bed with the Chinese because I hope everyone can see the negative consequences that would have for Asian people. But I think it will. If racism wins votes, that's what will happen.

RockGun90

Jul 28, 2018
Nope what I dont want is white people pretending to be outraged about this. Asian people definitely have the right to complain.
Hold on a second. So because I'm a Latino, I'm not allowed to find this ad offensive? Even though it is obviously racist and is going to get even more Asian Americans hurt, because I am not personally threatened by the ad, my concerns dont matter?

Oct 27, 2017
The ad is brilliant. It gives the Republicans who genuinely hate Trump due to how he is handling the virus, an out.

It's marketing to a certain demographic of which the posters here don't belong. He's going to need votes from that demographic, though.
I wouldn't call blaring dog-whistles "genius".

Craven? Yea sure. Genius? No.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's a bad ad. We are going to have a lot of scapegoating of China to drum up nationalism over the next few years.

Beetroot

Apr 30, 2018
It was clear to me in the ad this was referring to the Chinese government and not the Chinese population. My mind never even went there until this thread.

This.

Edit: And for those who think this will trigger some kind of hate towards the asian-american community, I think that racist people look at it the opposite way: Even if the ad referred to "Chinese Government" instead of "Chinese", they would accuse the asians (all of them).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Nah. I barely saw it at first but once you actually look at the context of the ad's substance, it's out of whack with what they're actually trying to do. They're only trying to criticize Trump and his misleading about how he handled things, as well as the actions of the Chinese government. But it keeps saying "the Chinese" and not making the distinction, and then has this really ambiguous moment where it highlights travel from China not being stopped after Trump's ban was enacted. By that point, they had built up enough anti-Chinese sentiment in the earlier part of the ad to give racially-minded viewers a connection to the "40,000 travelers" bit. That part is way too ambiguous. Dangerously so.

Also if it seemed like I was downplaying that to anyone in the thread earlier before the lock I apologize. My issue with the OP originally was always just the equivocation of Biden & Trump in the title. It's beside the point ultimately in the face of Chinese and Asian posters feeling personally targeted by the ad. I didn't mean to come off like I was siding against you in defending the good parts of the ad versus the fucked up parts, I'm sorry.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
They are going to get away with it arent they? Nothing will change, nobody will hold them to account. Ten to twenty years from now we will probably be dealing with SARS-CoV-3. Whether its huge companies, heads of state, or on gaming boards, China is untouchable.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They are going to get away with it arent they? Nothing will change, nobody will hold them to account. Ten to twenty years from now we will probably be dealing with SARS-CoV-3. Whether its huge companies, heads of state, or on gaming boards, China is untouchable.
Are you not aware viruses pop up all the time? It just so happens this one is virulent enough to infect tons of people.....

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

Maybe you should read up on the timeline of the outbreak to learn what actually went down instead of clickbait articles and conspiracy theories:

Also read this

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Dogwhistled xenophobia is brilliant because it wins elections, I guess.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018

Nope, it's in the article, CCP knew about Human to Human transmission of the virus since December, kept downplaying the severity of the virus until they January, silenced doctors. CCP should be held accountable for this, and for many many other things.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
As a Chinese American person, it's worth noting that 1) the CCP government is actively engaging in an information war seeking to absolve itself from the blame for the pandemic, and 2) the Chinese government doesn't give two shits about what might happen to Asian Americans who are more likely to be harmed.

So, the situation is really complicated. On the one hand, unilaterally disarming in the middle of a war of ideas over who the pandemic gets pinned on would be a less than stellar idea. On the other hand, the people your messaging are most likely to affect are also the people with the least to do with the pandemic. And it's absolutely imperative (IMO) that China be sanctioned heavily for their enabling of the development and spread of COVID-19, even if the western governments failed to prepare for its arrival despite months of warning.

I do think that the ad clearly implies "The Chinese [government]" rather than "The Chinese [people]", though.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017

Yes because there is nothing that can be done in between full lock down and doing nothing. Maybe like canceling this?
Zhou Xianwang, the mayor of Wuhan, a city of more than 10 million people at the centre of the outbreak, told China's state-owned television that "there was not enough warning" to local residents in a district called Baibuting who attended a huge banquet involving over 40,000 families on Sunday.
That was January 19th during the 6 day window.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Hold on a second. So because I'm a Latino, I'm not allowed to find this ad offensive? Even though it is obviously racist and is going to get even more Asian Americans hurt, because I am not personally threatened by the ad, my concerns dont matter?
As I stated my problem is with white people who pretend to be outraged because they have an ulterior motive. You don't need to be Asian to be outraged about this or anything else.

The internet is filed with right wing trolls who use topics like these to sow discord among Democrats so we must keep an eye out for that.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Nope, it's in the article, CCP knew about Human to Human transmission of the virus since December, kept downplaying the severity of the virus until they January, silenced doctors. CCP should be held accountable for this, and for many many other things.

Again please read the timeline on Wikipedia. Your knowledge of the outbreak is constructed from a series of clickbait articles and shallow reporting.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Again please read the timeline on Wikipedia. Your knowledge of the outbreak is constructed from a series of clickbait articles and shallow reporting.

Read the wikipedia that anyone can edit? So now AP news is shallow reporting? The CCP did not silence doctors and try to hide this?

Thanks but I'll stick to actual reporting from actual news outlets who do their own investigative reporting.

Just tell me to say all hail chariman Xi and get it over with. Fuck the CCP.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
If you're running for president, I fucking expect you to know what words mean.

In what way is "The Chinese" a remotely acceptable way to refer to China's government?

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I mean, it was still deadlier, which is why it didn't spread as badly as this has.

Swine Flu infected hundreds of millions in the world, it's not as deadly. It has a CFR of 0.1%.

Read the wikipedia that anyone can edit? So now AP news is shallow reporting? The CCP did not silence doctors and try to hide this?
Thanks but I'll stick to actual reporting from actual news outlets who do their own investigative reporting.

You can click on the sourced links in the wikipedia timeline to get to the source that did the reporting such as SCMP, BBC, AP, CNN and Reuters. If you're not going to expand your knowledge beyond what limited set of sources you choose to consume, that's your choice. Everyone knowledge is limited anyways.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017

this should be a permanent fucking ban. I'm so sick of this sites members and their very clear lack of understanding around asian and Asian American situations we have to go through. It's marketing to a certain demographic to inspire xenophobia and prop up a boogeyman that Trump caters to. My wife who is Japanese got called a dirty chink at Costco two weeks ago. These ads are targeted specifically at people who don't know fuck all about anything and fosters racism in their hearts. I am Korean American as well and my two children are very clearly Asian. Just because you big brain era posters can sort out the distinction doesn't mean THAT THE VAST MAJORITY of idiots in America can. Stop for a second before you post this "isn't that bad" or the "I get it"

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Just tell me to say all hail chariman Xi and get it over with. Fuck the CCP.
Okay, do you think this thing would have been handled better if it started in the US?

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not even just the racist accusations, it's also the problematic belief that the American government think they should just have the right to intervene in any part of the world, like China are evil for not letting the American government get involved despite us all knowing how that can turn out.

RockGun90

Jul 28, 2018
As I stated my problem is with white people who pretend to be outraged because they have an ulterior motive. You don't need to be Asian to be outraged about this or anything else.

The internet is filed with right wing trolls who use topics like these to sow discord among Democrats so we must keep an eye out for that.
So you're arguing that we should be suspicious of all the Asian Americans offended and concerned by the racism in this ad because there's a CHANCE they might be lying Trump supporters?

Has it ever occurred to you that there is division in the party because marginalized groups' concerns about Biden are being ignored and that they are being threatened and blackmailed into voting for him?

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
This is the second time that a deadly worldwide outbreak has originated from a Chinese wet market in less than 20 years.

Expert is not sure the specific origin of the current coronavirus.

"Prof Stephen Turner, head of the department of microbiology at Melbourne's Monash University, says what's most likely is that virus originated in bats.

But that's where his certainty ends, he says.

On the hypothesis that the virus emerged at the Wuhan live animal market from an interaction between an animal and a human, Turner says: "I don't think it's conclusive by any means.""

The study Holmes worked on suggested that the scenario in which a human at the Wuhan market interacted with an animal that carried the virus was only one potential version of the Covid-19 origin story. Another was the possibility that a descendent of the virus jumped into humans and then adapted as it was passed from human to human.

Analysis of the first 41 Covid-19 patients in medical journal the Lancet found that 27 of them had direct exposure to the Wuhan market. But the same analysis found that the first known case of the illness did not.

www.theguardian.com

How did coronavirus start and where did it come from? Was it really Wuhan’s animal market?

It’s likely Covid-19 originated in bats, scientists say. But did it then spread to pangolins and humans?

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
You can click on the sourced links in the wikipedia timeline to get to the source that did the reporting such as SCMP, BBC, AP, CNN and Reuters.

yeah and the article I linked to is an investigative story by AP, which you called shallow reporting, so which is it?

Okay, do you think this thing would have been handled better if it started in the US?

No, relevance? Also, the US isn't authoritarian regime which puts millions in torture and rape camps while dissapearing dissidents and doctors, the US government wouldn't be able to cover up the outbreak at its outset like the CCP did.

Oct 30, 2017
User banned (3 days): drive-by trolling
As an outsider looking in, ye lot could have chosen Bernie Sanders as your Dem nom but ya'll went with the status quo and chose Joe fucking Biden.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Fucking exactly! We're literally reaching a point where we can't vote for the Dem presidential candidate for fear of endorsing something as egregious as this. Because, surprise surprise, the two parties have (or should have) different standards, and so it actually does mean more when the Dems lean racist than when the GOP does. And that's how low the long winding path of "harm reduction" has brought us, to a place that is effectively in bipartisan support of Trump! In substance, if not in person or personality.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Or we can just not assume everyone has an ulterior motive and just call out shitty takes when they happen? I mean, I'm still trying to figure out if the secret Trump supporters are the those who've been sexually assaulted and don't like Biden for being an alleged rapist or if it's those that are telling them to vote no matter what their "feelings" are, and now I have to worry about the Asian-American community here and any allies being them too? /s.

It's just not a healthy approach at all, and there being no way to prove it without vulnerable communities revealing themselves and risk being singled out and targeted by those who monitor this site and organize such efforts. I empathize with not wanting people, ill intentioned or otherwise, to hijack a community they have no stake in, but there's just no way to determine or enforce such a thing. Feels like we're further dividing over seeking out that sort of "gotcha" or putting that over huge swaths of this community, when ultimately most of this site, especially here that frequents EtcetEra, are not supporters of the GOP or right wing politics.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
So you're arguing that we should be suspicious of all the Asian Americans offended and concerned by the racism in this ad because there's a CHANCE they might be lying Trump supporters?
You are welcome to see things however you want. My opinion is simply that topics like these are used by right wing trolls, who are predominantly white, to cause divisions in our community. Trump getting reelected would be far worse for any minority.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Why is it whenever there's a thread about racism towards Asians on this forum people like to come and post "I don't know if it's actually racism" or "i don't see any racism here".

Racism towards Asians has been excused on this forum for a very long time. And I'm white, so if it's obvious to me I can only imagine how obvious it might be to those affected. But you'd think the reports of Asians being assaulted and having their faces broken, people would be a little more sensitive and know when not to minimize this kind of rhetoric.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Make better ads Joe. There are a myriad of ways to display Trump's failures when it comes to covid than to bring China into it.