• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
The ad is super weird. It seems like a play at swing voters. Just trying to blame China. It just doesn't make sense. Why not just attack Trump and leave China out of it? From a tactical standpoint, it takes some of the blame off of Trump and pushes it onto China. All of the blame should be aimed at Trump. He's the main enemy in this campaign.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
It's a dumb ad, They should take it down, and Biden's campaign team should know better. The end.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
"The Russians interfered in our election"
"Russian meddling"
"Russian interference"

Was it also xenophobic then?
Chinese and Asian people in general have been the target of hate crimes due to the virus and rhetoric like this. I did not read about the same happening to Russian people in the US during the investigations but if you have some examples we can take a look.

Oct 27, 2017
It's diversionary political BS to distract from how bad the US is handling this. The Dems can't even be trusted to call on or criticize Trump's handling of the pandemic, they literally have to run cover for him because they're morons that don't want to win.
This ad is racist as fuck, but lets not pretend the aim is anything other than to pin the blame on the Trump administration for it's lack of mobilization against the crisis. They timeline it out, in ad, in order to demonstrate how badly the US Government (specifically the Trump administration) dropped the ball.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dog-whistles-1.jpg

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And it's being taken advantage by the trump supporters who are members of this forums who come out of the hiding to say "see now I wont vote for Biden"

Because for some reason trump is better even though Biden did not personally make this ad or uttered the same xenophobic words that trump has such as calling it the "Chinese virus"
You don't have to be a Trump supporter to not want to vote for Biden, holy shit.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This ad is racist as fuck, but lets not pretend the aim is anything other than to pin the blame on the Trump administration for it's lack of mobilization against the crisis. They timeline it out, in ad, in order to demonstrate how badly the US Government (specifically the Trump administration) dropped the ball.

Then they can't make an electoral argument to save their lives. Shifting attention to China only accomplishes one thing, the outright suspension of their own responsibility, and they know they're doing that by making an ad like this.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
And that is all the Biden team needs to be doing, not trying to out-flank Trump on his deflectionary racism about China.

You could even end the ad with how Trump continues to deflect blame as his failures mount. And in all the ways.

Much more coherent and narratively focused and doesn't attempt to cater to xenophobia to win voters they arent winning anyways.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Just no, the CCP tried to cover up the pandemic and silenced doctors who tried to warn the world, it's because of the CCP mishandling of the situation and them putting their prestige and economy above their international reputation and safety of their own people that we're in this pandemic clusterfuck in the first place.

Other countries failure is their own countries failure.
Everyone knows that China is likely to hide true number and such, which is why Taiwan had sent in it's own expert to acertain the situation, when we heard word of a new coranvirus, and suprisingly, CCP allowed Taiwan's own expert to visit, and we started implmenting step to prevent and protect out citizen in end of December, and we live right next to China, when the lunar holiday(LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE TRAVELING between both our country, more then the 40,000 or what ever number a US ban didn't do anything<WHich is still on the US to screen and check people coming in, not on China or other country>)

Taiwan, Vietnam, Singapore reponded aggresievly to a new coronavirus type situation, there was news already coming out that China is welding people in apartment to shut down in January, other western countries had time to prepare for 1~2 month.

And that's not even getting into the new "information" that US intelligence had word of a new disease in November and had shared with Nato and other country
www.resetera.com

ABC: US intelligence warned of coronavirus in November COVID

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/intelligence-report-warned-coronavirus-crisis-early-november-sources/story?id=70031273 As far back as late November, U.S. intelligence officials were warning that a contagion was sweeping through China’s Wuhan region, changing the patterns of life and business...

Deleted member 35217

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
User banned (1 week): Dismissing concerns regarding xenophobia
Just watched the ad and have no idea how you guys get up in arms so easily about everything. Can he not talk about how Trump handled the beginning of this instead of letting Trump rewrite history per usual? Do we have to pretend China doesn't deserve ton of blame the spread?

MM300

Dec 23, 2018
Just no, the CCP tried to cover up the pandemic and silenced doctors who tried to warn the world, it's because of the CCP mishandling of the situation and them putting their prestige and economy above their international reputation and safety of their own people that we're in this pandemic clusterfuck in the first place.

What the CCP did or didn't do is irrelevant to the discussion. The US literally had months to prepare for a potential outbreak and sat on their hands and did NOTHING. They failed, utterly and completely. This is on them and them alone. Scrounging underneath couch cushions for a scapegoat is pathetic shit. It's just a blatant attempt to deflect how they bungled this entire thing.

Again, the US could have contained this from day one. The US could have been a second South Korea, but they did. absolutely. nothing.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Just watched the ad and have no idea how you guys get up in arms so easily about everything. Can he not talk about how Trump handled the beginning of this instead of letting Trump rewrite history per usual? Do we have to pretend China doesn't deserve ton of blame the spread?

But Europe cause a lot more of it?

Either way, not playing into anti-Asian sentiment should be a layup

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He can without exasperating the growing anti-Asian sentiment, yeah.

Oct 27, 2017
Then they can't make an electoral argument to save their lives. Shifting attention to China only accomplishes one thing, the outright suspension of their own responsibility, and they know they're doing that by making an ad like this.
I honestly don't know where you're getting that this ad is intentionally shifting attention to China. The only time it mentions China (again, while full on dog-whistling) is to mention where it came from. It doesn't talk about the CCP's mis-handling and covering it up (which would take away from the point of the ad).

It's clearly SUPPOSED to focus on Trump, but somehow ended up being really racist towards Chinese people, which I think is almost worse, since Biden wasn't even trying to target Chinese people, but his latent racism was too powerful.

And that is all the Biden team needs to be doing, not trying to out-flank Trump on his deflectionary racism about China.

You could even end the ad with how Trump continues to deflect blame as his failures mount. And in all the ways.

Much more coherent and narratively focused and doesn't attempt to cater to xenophobia to win voters they arent winning anyways.
I mean yes. See my previous post that I made saying how this is crazy racist.

It undercuts an ad that would have been otherwise highly effective. It's crazy that in the process of trying to dunk on Trump, team Biden goes "oopies, I guess we also went all racist there." Can't even fcking help himself.

Last edited:

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
With every day I feel more and more that Trump is going to win despite how shit the past 4 years have been. Country sees Trump get up and bullshit his way every day for an hour, building up all the plausible deniability he needs in November. Biden never shows, and when he does, it is always with weak attacks that are problematic. Biden should be on the tv as much as possible saying what he would be doing. Instead, the only thing I have seen from him is people talking about a possible mental decline. It doesn't matter if it isn't true, you build up that much "known truth" in the country for the next 8 months the goal post for Biden to be able to win is going to be moved miles away.

Give the people something to vote for not against.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can people really not hear the dog whistle blaring in their ears? The ad pretty clearly draws a link between the travelers from China and the spread of the virus.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I'm guessing you are not amongst the group that will suffer for a political zeritgeist where both sides normalize xenophobic framings of this highly charged moment?

We have analogies all over our past, recent and more distant, of what this type of lowest common denominator emotional pandering does.

Everything Biden needed to do to make the case against Trump doesn't require pandering to racists or throwing Chinese-Americans under the bus, plenty of strategies to attack the Chinese government without conflating it with the members under their thumb or of Chinese or Asian heritage.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Drop the 40K Travelers from China bit, it's not important. Change all mentions of Chinese to Chinese government or Xi Jinping. Then you have a decent ad.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The 40,000 visitors time lapse cut really grinds my gears, I'm pretty sure this was the play during Brexit as well.

5049.jpg

If I happen to be the victim of an anti-Asian hate crime in the next 2 years I'll be sure to remind my would-be assailant that the CCP is not the Chinese people.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man. This is going to make people on Twitter really start going after Chinese people for no reason. The hell were they thinking?

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
What the CCP did or didn't do is irrelevant to the discussion. The US literally had months to prepare for a potential outbreak and sat on their hands and did NOTHING. They failed, utterly and completely. This is on them and them alone. Scrounging underneath couch cushions for a scapegoat is pathetic shit. It's just a blatant attempt to deflect how they bungled this entire thing.

Again, the US could have contained this from day one. The US could have been a second South Korea, but they did. absolutely. nothing.

Yeah and how does this justify saying that China handled this a thousand times better even tho their deliberate concealment of the pandemic and silencing doctors made this worse? I'm not pinning the ineptitude of the Trump's administration on the CCP, I'm responding to saying that the CCP handled the situation a thousand times better, even tho their actions made the situation, if anything a thousand times worse at the beginning.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

It's specifically the moment where it highlights the travelers coming from China. It attempts to steer clear of racially profiling them by using generic stock footage, but they just don't do enough to make that distinction. The scary music and big text still makes it seem like their intent is to fearmonger about Asian people entering America. Americans of Asian descent and Asian immigrants are right to feel targeted by it, directly or indirectly. Maybe that's not their intent but it looks like it is with how sloppily they made any distinctions between the Chinese government and the Chinese people in this ad.

That's not what the ad or even that specific segment is about, they're not criticizing the Chinese government or people there, but they should have specifically made the distinction in that bit and made it very clear who they were targeting. It's unfairly and maybe even blatantly ambiguous.

It may be a good and effective ad when it comes to blasting Trump, but it's inconsiderate and lazy in how it contextualizes the criticism about his China travel ban and makes Asian people a collateral target. Which - yes - they're targeted by a lot of things the Trump admin says and does, but that doesn't mean the Biden campaign can't be criticized for doing it too and being careless. And it's not out of line to call it racist.

Drop the 40K Travelers from China bit, it's not important. Change all mentions of Chinese to Chinese government or Xi Jinping. Then you have a decent ad.

It is important but it's contextualized badly. The point of the criticism is that Trump uses his China travel ban as the ONE example of something he did right to prevent the spread of the virus. The problem with his defense is that it was already too late, and he was still letting up to 40,000 people enter the Country from China after his ban was enacted. Those weren't all Chinese or Asian people, many of them American citizens of various backgrounds conducting business in China. It doesn't matter who or what race they were - it mattered that Trump lied about how he took action. Because it's literally the one thing he did and he outright failed in every way to prevent this crisis.

40,000 people is a lot of people to let in the country after you've bragged about how you worked so decisively to stop the flow of people coming back into the country. It shouldn't matter what skin color those travelers had, those travelers aren't at fault, and the ad attempts to not focus on it by using generic stock airport footage, but then that as a result makes it too ambiguous and gives some people a lot of mileage to blame Asian people for no reason.

Last edited:

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People gonna go after all Asian people. On twitter or in the streets.

Yep, as someone who is Burmese-American this will affect me just as much as the Chinese because racists don't care.

Can people really not hear the dog whistle blaring in their ears? The ad pretty clearly draws a link between the travelers from China and the spread of the virus.

It's not so much can't hear as don't want to honestly.

Oct 27, 2017
It blows my mind that they had an effective ad that wasn't problematic, and then did these two things leaning hard into xenophobia/racism.

Neither of those things were necessary!

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and how does this justify saying that China handled this a thousand times better even tho their deliberate concealment of the pandemic and silencing doctors made this worse? I'm not pinning the ineptitude of the Trump's administration on the CCP, I'm responding to saying that the CCP handled the situation a thousand times better, even tho their actions made the situation, if anything a thousand times worse at the beginning.

They handled their outbreak internally much better than the US (by blunting the curve) while both the outbreak started there, with a weaker economy relative to the population, and while they had many times the population density of the US. How is that not handling it better in every way that we might talk about, where the US and their own self-reflection is concerned?!

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I wonder if this was some classic Democrat thing where Biden's PR team tried to use Republican/Trump messaging tactics against them, not understanding that it would land with the weight of an anvil with actual Democrats.

If I were American I'd be voting Biden 100 times out 100 in this election, because I simply think Trump is that dangerous and unfit to be anywhere near the White House. But boy oh boy, the Democrats always remind me of that Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob keeps stepping on rakes. They are badly in need to competent strategists.

If they aren't careful, the Mad King is going to successfully hang this entire bungled response around the neck of China and the WHO, with his usual strategy of completely saturating the media's collective bandwidth with nonsense.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Guys you are not just voting for Biden, but you are voting for Dems. Biden is not a great candidate, we all know but he is all we got to get Dems in power. Lets stop fighting within ourselves and do everything we can to take out GOP and propoganda media like Fox and OAN

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
It's specifically the moment where it highlights the travelers coming from China. It attempts to steer clear of racially profiling them by using generic stock footage, but they just don't do enough to make that distinction. The scary music and big text still makes it seem like their intent is to fearmonger about Asian people entering America.

That's not what the ad or even that specific segment is about, they're not criticizing the Chinese government or people there, but they should have specifically made the distinction in that bit and made it very clear who they were targeting. It's unfairly and maybe even blatantly ambiguous.
Ads are made for an audience, what I am struggling with is who was this ad aimed at?

Who does Biden's team think this particular ad strategy is going to solidify or persuade?

It comes off as reactionary and without a clear strategy.

Say waht you want about Trump, but his team seems to have a very clearly defined model for how to cater a multitude of messages through specific tools to reach just that audience.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Guys you are not just voting for Biden, but you are voting for Dems. Biden is not a great candidate, we all know but he is all we got to get Dems in power. Lets stop fighting within ourselves and do everything we can to take out GOP and propoganda media like Fox and OAN
Why don't you tell Biden and his campaign to be more competent instead?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"Fighitng with ourselves" in this case being "please don't increase anti-Asian rhetoric"

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
This isn't the audience that needs covincing of that.

Ultimately presidential years are about who is at the top of the ticket and Biden and his team need to shape up if they aren't going to just Hillary themselves, which so far they seem to have dusted off that strategy and are just repurposing it for 2020.

Apr 21, 2018
Is Biden trying to attract Republicans? I guess so huh.

This has been the most depressing election lead-up in my lifetime. I never though in my teenage years that it would get worse.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017

IMO, there's no fight to be had.

It's a shitty ad, take it down and do better messaging. No point in caping for this, especially since we all have only two choices in this election anyway. Vote for Biden or don't and possibly watch the world burn.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
JFC, it's definitely utilitarian and sadly necessary that that guy gets elected rather than Trump, but he's fucking awful. That racist shit is despicable and building bridges to reach racists can go fuck itself.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm defending myself from xenophobia, if you want us to stop "infighting" tell the moderates to knock it the fuck off. I'm not rolling over when they try to throw me under the bus, they can eat my ass.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, some of you people can't even let us have a discussion about racism/xenophobia without beating us over the head with "vote blue no matter who tho".

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
They handled their outbreak internally much better than the US (by blunting the curve) while both the outbreak started there, with a weaker economy relative to the population, and while they had many times the population density of the US. How is that not handling it better in every way that we might talk about, where the US and their own self-reflection is concerned?!

apnews.com

China didn't warn public of likely pandemic for 6 key days

In the six days after top Chinese officials secretly determined they likely were facing a pandemic from a new coronavirus, the city of Wuhan at the epicenter of the disease hosted a mass banquet for tens of thousands of people; millions began traveling through for Lunar New Year celebrations.

"This is tremendous," said Zuo-Feng Zhang, an epidemiologist at the University of California, Los Angeles. "If they took action six days earlier, there would have been much fewer patients and medical facilities would have been sufficient. We might have avoided the collapse of Wuhan's medical system."

Handled it better my ass, I'd say they're neck and neck in both incompetence and evil, the CCP put more importance on social order and economy rather than the well being and safety of their citizens, just like Trump, it wasn't until they realized they couldn't control the outbreak and the information that they started to act, again just like Trump. Only difference is the CCP saw that finishing off the outbreak is better in the long run rather than reopening the economy unlke Trump, but after what? 6 days of trying to hide it if not more?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I am Asian and I support this ad.

me too but it's still problematic as hell. i'd take it off the air until they do a better job making the necessary distinctions. it's also too fucking long lol

they should have cut it in half, done a lot better with their messaging, and then capped it off with a message specifically about the danger of Trump's China talk with regards to Asian Americans and immigrants. it's irresponsible as-is.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
It is important but it's contextualized badly. The point of the criticism is that Trump uses his China travel ban as the ONE example of something he did right to prevent the spread of the virus. The problem with his defense is that it was already too late, and he was still letting up to 40,000 people enter the Country from China after his ban was enacted. Those weren't all Chinese or Asian people, many of them American citizens conducting business in China. It doesn't matter who or what race they were - it mattered that Trump lied about how he took action. Because it's literally the one thing he did and he outright failed in every way to prevent this crisis.

40,000 people is a lot of people to let in the country after you've bragged about how you worked so decisively to stop the flow of people coming back into the country. It shouldn't matter what skin color those travelers had, those travelers aren't at fault, and the ad attempts to not focus on it by using generic stock airport footage, but then that as a result makes it too ambiguous and gives some people a lot of mileage to blame Asian people for no reason.

I can agree with this. Not entirely sure how you can change it to be more focused. Maybe get rid of the scary music and the out of focus sped up stock footage. Make the ad sound more sympathetic to the travelers and put more focus on Trump. Maybe just replace the stock footage with an image of one of Trumps ranting tweets.