• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
But Biden hasn't done any of this.
If was out there slamming Republican governors for ending this early and calling for an extension I would 100% agree with you, but he's not.
He did last month, my point was that it's too easy to rile people up here. Case in point below

Classic Democrats. Instead of pushing left policies they always try to appease the right and pass some watered down bullshit. So typical.

Republicans wouldn't dream of watering down any right policy to appease the left. Yet the democrats love to. Classic
What are you even referring to? What was watered down?

Also Republicans compromise all the time when they're forced too.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
how is this thread still going šŸ¤£

I don't understand what is going on. Not even the thread title has been updated.

Classic Democrats. Instead of pushing left policies they always try to appease the right and pass some watered down bullshit. So typical.

Republicans wouldn't dream of watering down any right policy to appease the left. Yet the democrats love to. Classic

Case in point: this person only read the thread title before replying.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He did last month, my point was that it's too easy to rile people up here. Case in point below
If he want voters to think that he's for extending the covid unemployment insurance relief, he should be out there screaming that from every platform.

And like yeah, it's easy to rile people up, that's how Republicans wins elections in this country, I don't like it either but we can't pretend that it doesn't happen.
I really think this mentality of "the voters should know better" is bad.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how is this thread still going šŸ¤£
I don't understand what is going on. Not even the thread title has been updated.

... it's the title of the Huffington Post article? And the thread generated hundreds of posts? I don't understand why there's always a push to have threads critical of Joe Biden closed. We were told we could criticize him after he was elected if he failed the voters. Is that no longer the case?

This kind of posting just comes across as whiny tbh.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
If he want voters to think that he's for extending the covid unemployment insurance relief, he should be out there screaming that from every platform.

And like yeah, it's easy to rile people up, that's how Republicans wins elections in this country, I don't like it either but we can't pretend that it doesn't happen.
I really think this mentality of "the voters should know better" is bad.
Wait, he's not in favor of extending it. I think we're on different pages here. Biden does not want an extension of benefits and no one is claiming otherwise.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, he's not in favor of extending it. I think we're on different pages here. Biden does not want an extension of benefits and no one is claiming otherwise.
I personally never thought there was any evidence that Biden think this unemployment insurance extension is a good thing, and I think that's the problem. I think it's good and popular policy, and I suspect quite a few people will be unhappy that it ends.

I thought you were saying he was in favor of it, sorry if I misunderstood you.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
... it's the title of the Huffington Post article? And the thread generated hundreds of posts? I don't understand why there's always a push to have threads critical of Joe Biden closed. We were told we could criticize him after he was elected if he failed the voters. Is that no longer the case?

Nobody told you not to criticize him before he was elected. There were many posts here pushing the dementia angle, rape and pedophilia and whatever else the right and online left were throwing at him.

I am more surprised that people are surprised this thread with this title is still open than it still being open or unchanged.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I personally never thought there was any evidence that Biden think this unemployment insurance extension is a good thing, and I think that's the problem. I think it's good and popular policy, and I suspect quite a few people will be unhappy that it ends.

I thought you were saying he was in favor of it, sorry if I misunderstood you.
I'm saying he's in favor of the bill he signed in March. He's said he's against Republicans ending the benefits early but that he had no interest in an extension past the September date. I don't think extending this was ever really on the table.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the title of the Huffington Post article is clickbait. It is a lie and it has clearly led to misinformation and confusion.

The HuffPo article's title might be clickbait but it's not inaccurate. Biden's support for his own policy has clearly waned and he's signaled as such, refusing to defend it from Republicans. I think that's fairly characterized as "surrender"?

Look, nothing any one on Era says or does will affect Joe Biden's reelection or Democrats' performance in the mid-terms. I think it's just fine to have these sort of topics. These are powerful people who don't need us to sugarcoat their mistakes.

Nobody told you not to criticize him before he was elected.

This is not true but I'm not going down that rabbit hole. All I'll say is that there were plenty of people saying "do you want Trump to win" if you were critical of Joe Biden leading up to the election.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm saying he's in favor of the bill he signed in March. He's said he's against Republicans ending the benefits early but that he had no interest in an extension past the September date. I don't think extending this was ever really on the table.
I don't think that's a winning message electorally.
Like how you gonna even phrase it?
"it's terrible that Republican governors are doing this thing that I want to happen in 3 months".

I also don't think that's a good policy, but that's a different discussion.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm just loving all of these extremely nuanced and learned takes in this thread lol

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
the proles must be sent off to work before they get too used to the cushy living wage they've been receiving

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Thread title should be "Biden admin unable to bypass trash GOP governors on $300 payments." Thanks for clearing this up mods. All these driveby shitposts are something else.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's a winning message electorally.
Like how you gonna even phrase it?
"it's terrible that Republican governors are doing this thing that I want to happen in 3 months".

I also don't think that's a good policy, but that's a different discussion.
Personally I'd say something like this

"We passed a bipartisan relief package that would help support Americans during the worst pandemic we've seen in our lifetimes. In the heart of the pandemic the republicans chose to side with big business and cut the benefits from millions of Americans when they needed it most."

I'm sure a seasoned politician can word it better, I'm just some random chick, but it can be easily spun.

Look, nothing any one on Era says or does will affect Joe Biden's reelection or Democrats' performance in the mid-terms. I think it's just fine to have these sort of topics. These are powerful people who don't need us to sugarcoat their mistakes.

Eh, this is what people say when they know they're wrong or are extremely exaggerating. This idea that nothing you say matters anyway so you shouldn't be held accountable for misleading posts is silly. Also I think we're past the point of the internet not having any impact on elections. If we even convince a few leftists to sit out elections due to misinformation and misleading headlines, it does have an effect. Many of the elections in 2020 were incredibly close.

I'm all for criticizing Biden when it's necessary, because I do think what we say here and elsewhere does matter, and if we are to push him and others to the left, we should be vocal about it because it matters. But I feel the criticism has to be valid. Don't use the "no one can criticize Biden" cop out because you know that's clearly isn't what is happening here.

Anytime people try to explain how politics actually work, we get met with pushback. Just admit you didn't understand it initially rather than doubling down on incorrect statements and pushing back. The amount of people here that think Biden can prevent this, or that he compromised with republicans who are ending the benefits are 100 percent wrong and have no idea how this stuff works. They offer no solutions when asked what he should do aside "FIGHT IT". This is why it's so easy for republicans to misinform people. This is an instance of them doing the wrong thing and democrats sticking with the program that helps people and somehow we're bashing Biden.

There are plenty of things to get on him for, this isn't one of them.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Personally I'd say something like this

"We passed a bipartisan relief package that would help support Americans during the worst pandemic we've seen in our lifetimes. In the heart of the pandemic the republicans chose to side with big business and cut the benefits from millions of Americans when they needed it most."

I'm sure a seasoned politician can word it better, I'm just some random chick, but it can be easily spun.
I seriously doubt that "It's awful that they're doing in June what I wanted to do in September" is going to be a winning message, no matter how well they try to craft the wording there, but for real, why do you assume that Biden would do that?
He hasn't even said that he think it's a bad thing that they are cutting it now and Psaki dodged direct questions about it.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

It's a bad title and bad article by Huff Post.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously doubt that "It's awful that they're doing in June what I wanted to do in September" is going to be a winning message, no matter how well they try to craft the wording there, but for real, why do you assume that Biden would do that?
He hasn't even said that he think it's a bad thing that they are cutting it now and Psaki dodged direct questions about it.
I don't think he'll do that, you just asked how could you message it. Maybe they will, maybe they wont. With the majority of Americans against the relief it might not be the best fight to pick. The fact that the bill was always going to expire in September, and many Americans supported it at the time means this messaging could work. I think you're assuming people would be upset over the fact that it's ending at all, and I don't think that will be the case. Personally I'd frame this as the dems supporting the people until the country was ready to reopen and giving you the time to get rehired. No one is expecting these benefits to last forever and there isn't any talk about extending them past September by either party.

As for would the messaging work? Well, one misleading title did a number on the people here and convinced them that the democrats are at fault for something that republicans are not only causing, but are pretty open about it. I think this can be spun, if the American people give a backlash to the benefits ending early, dems will jump on it. But they wont take up this fight unless the people make noise.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the proles must be sent off to work before they get too used to the cushy living wage they've been receiving

Yes, this is the crux of it.

Eh, this is what people say when they know they're wrong or are extremely exaggerating. This idea that nothing you say matters anyway so you shouldn't be held accountable for misleading posts is silly. Also I think we're past the point of the internet not having any impact on elections. If we even convince a few leftists to sit out elections due to misinformation and misleading headlines, it does have an effect. Many of the elections in 2020 were incredibly close.

I'm all for criticizing Biden when it's necessary, because I do think what we say here and elsewhere does matter, and if we are to push him and others to the left, we should be vocal about it because it matters. But I feel the criticism has to be valid. Don't use the "no one can criticize Biden" cop out because you know that's clearly isn't what is happening here.

Anytime people try to explain how politics actually work, we get met with pushback. Just admit you didn't understand it initially rather than doubling down on incorrect statements and pushing back. The amount of people here that think Biden can prevent this, or that he compromised with republicans who are ending the benefits are 100 percent wrong and have no idea how this stuff works. They offer no solutions when asked what he should do aside "FIGHT IT". This is why it's so easy for republicans to misinform people. This is an instance of them doing the wrong thing and democrats sticking with the program that helps people and somehow we're bashing Biden.

There are plenty of things to get on him for, this isn't one of them.

Even you are posting hypothetical corrected messaging for Biden. Like, at the very least coming from the left we can agree that his messaging was bad yesterday and that states cutting the benefits early is bad and worthy of criticism? And that bad messaging IS something we can "get" him on? That's been a consistent Achilles heel with Dems, is falling into the right's traps of language and talking about workers in a way that is corrosive and disempowering.

Also, I'm fine with people explaining politics or correcting people when they are wrong. Most of us do not work in Constitutional law! However, a poster saying "no there's absolutely no way to do this through EO" when they do not have the credentials to say so definitively, and in fact it is not a settled question, but Biden isn't trying to force the issue because he no longer supports his previous policy, is quite a different thing.

This whole thing, what spurred this thread, is a political calculation by Biden. And it's an anti-labor calculation, and I will always be critical of the Democrats when they make anti-labor moves. The real answer to the low participation in the work force is employers need to make jobs more desirable, not that labor should be made more desperate to take the scraps.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, this is the crux of it.

Even you are posting hypothetical corrected messaging for Biden. Like, at the very least coming from the left we can agree that his messaging was bad yesterday and that states cutting the benefits early is bad and worthy of criticism? And that bad messaging IS something we can "get" him on? That's been a consistent Achilles heel with Dems, is falling into the right's traps of language and talking about workers in a way that is corrosive and disempowering.

Also, I'm fine with people explaining politics or correcting people when they are wrong. Most of us do not work in Constitutional law! However, a poster saying "no there's absolutely no way to do this through EO" when they do not have the credentials to say so definitively, and in fact it is not a settled question, but Biden isn't trying to force the issue because he no longer supports his previous policy, is quite a different thing.

This whole thing, what spurred this thread, is a political calculation by Biden. And it's an anti-labor calculation, and I will always be critical of the Democrats when they make anti-labor moves. The real answer to the low participation in the work force is employers need to make jobs more desirable, not that labor should be made more desperate to take the scraps.
My messaging was a response to someone asking how they could message this in a way that makes sense. I'm not a politician so I'm not saying my version was better or worse than whatever Biden will say, just coming up with something better than that poster proposed.

And yes, we can agree on several things you listed there. States cutting the benefits early is bad and worthy of criticism. It's why I'd prefer people criticize the republicans who are doing that rather than the democrats who are, in actuality, keeping the benefits going. However I think people are taking this article as Biden's messaging. What he said was that he supports the benefits going on as originally planned. and to be fair, most people aren't attacking his message, they're literally claiming he's compromising or ending the benefits himself. It's just complete misinformation that is constantly being corrected and people keep doubling down on something that is factually incorrect. If you only issue is you think he should speak up more about it, then I don't really have a problem with that.

As for the EO, Biden already said his legal team looked into it and there is little they can do. Most experts agree. If you truly think this isn't a settled question that's fine, but I'm not really going to debate who has the power here. I'm fairly sure I'm right about it and I'm not willing to debate something that is all but agreed on.

What is the anti-labor calculation that Biden made? Maybe this is where I'm misreading you, but you're calling this an anti-labor move by the democrats? They're the ones keeping the benefits going. What exactly is the anti-labor move in relation to this topic? That seems pretty different from bad messaging to me.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
This whole thing, what spurred this thread, is a political calculation by Biden. And it's an anti-labor calculation, and I will always be critical of the Democrats when they make anti-labor moves.
This whole thing is spurred by Republican governors refusing UI money being offered by Democrats. You should definitely be critical of Dems when they make anti-labor moves. This isn't one. The headline is clickbait garbage.

The real answer to the low participation in the work force is employers need to make jobs more desirable, not that labor should be made more desperate to take the scraps.
I 110% agree.

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
What's the update here for someone who hasn't been following the thread and just seen the last posts on how the title hasn't been changed?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
What's the update here for someone who hasn't been following the thread and just seen the last posts on how the title hasn't been changed?
The title says Biden surrenders on federal benefits.

The reality is he still supports them but republican governors are ending the additional benefits. Democratic ones are not. Biden cannot force the states to do otherwise. So basically, the republican party is being trash per usual, the dems are sticking to the bill that was passed and a headline made everyone here think Biden ended the program and caved.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Says a lot about the moderation on this site if nothing has been done about this thread, not even something as small as a title change.

Can't wait for my post to receive a warning for calling out mods though.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I hope some businesses took away from all of this that they need to stop paying shit wages to workers.
Unfortunately I think the lesson will simply be further cemented that barring pandemic level circumstances, lobbying the government is an effective means to get the government to act as the boot on workers necks to force them into their draconian arrangements.

These benefits were finally forcing many companies to increase their compensation and treatment of workers because workers essentially had the equivalent of a strike fund to force better pay and conditions.

Now Biden is basically saying I'm ready to pull that out and force people to accept whatever capital will give them.

It's despicable.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
How has the title of this thread not been changed by now?
Says a lot about the moderation on this site if nothing has been done about this thread, not even something as small as a title change.

Can't wait for my post to receive a warning for calling out mods though.

It should truly just be closed due to the clickbait nature of the article itself and the misinformation it's spreading.

I think the moderation on Era is generally fantastic and it's not possible to be perfect. But the thread being open for a full 24 hours is absolutely bewildering. It's hard to believe that no one has seen any of the reports.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Millions of people are going to lose unemployment benefits but reading this thread you'd think he biggest issue is that the thread title is unfair to Biden.
Like who cares it's the title of the article, I donno, open a thread about how the US media is shit (I'll have stuff to contribute, I promise).

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017

The reality is he still supports them but republican governors are ending the additional benefits. Democratic ones are not. Biden cannot force the states to do otherwise. So basically, the republican party is being trash per usual, the dems are sticking to the bill that was passed and a headline made everyone here think Biden ended the program and caved.
Thanks for clarifying!

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Millions of people are going to lose unemployment benefits but reading this thread you'd think he biggest issue is that the thread title is unfair to Biden.
Like who cares it's the title of the article, I donno, open a thread about how the US media is shit (I'll have stuff to contribute, I promise).

Losing unemployment benefits is the issue, but poisoned, deceptive discourse is why Americans vote as stupidly as they do, and headlines like this one further that.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Could Armadilo add this to the OP, as it explains the truth behind this article and will hopefully stop misinformation from being spread?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Thread title should be "Biden admin unable to bypass trash GOP governors on $300 payments." Thanks for clearing this up mods. All these driveby shitposts are something else.

If it works so well on liberals here, no wonder Mitch has been so successful with the general public. I mean God dammit Biden you DINO!

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
There is much to criticize about the Biden administration's response to GOP governors ending unemployment assistance in red states early, negatively impacting millions of people. However, the framing of the headline and article have made it difficult for this thread to stay on topic and the facts centered, and now that the thread has been derailed, it will be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.