• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
This wouldn't cover people like contractors or self employed people. It may not cover people who are furloughed or have had their hours cut. It's not nearly good enough.
I know a guy in NYC who is work from home with drastic hour reductions. He technically is not unemployed.

But his reduced hours means it is a miracle if he can pay rent, health insurance, and food all in the same month.

See the problem yet?
Well hopefully that is stuff that would be included. This isn't a concrete policy. It's a single Tweet statement from a presidential candidate.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah... it's not a call to abolish landlords.
Gosh I wish...

What Biden is proposing still isn't good enough. Lots of people fall through the hole here. Which is weird because he's not gonna actually be able to implement it. He might as well have gone for the real thing if he's just posturing.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well hopefully that is stuff that would be included. This isn't a concrete policy. It's a single Tweet statement from a presidential candidate.
He would have been more specific if he meant it that way. Considering this is Biden, I expect there to be some extra layer of means testing on top of "losing your job".

Mar 18, 2020
Man, that quick thread ignore feature was timely indeed.

Every thread related to Biden and the GE is just going to decay into the same slurry huh

partyhat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They've already done this in many states in Australia. Laws just passed to stop evictions. The federal government is asking tenants to work with landlords (to reduce rents) and banks. Most banks are helping to freeze mortgages on case-by-case basis.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Political threads in this forum have become stagnantly circular. Just absolutely useless. Leave that discussion in that thread.

You got that right. It's clear some posters care more about shitting on democrats than they do actually loosening the grip of the republican party.

and they'll shit up every single political thread while doing it. This thread is now about Biden's accusations and not policies, because of course it is.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great moderation there, team. Good to see biases not affect actioning...

Discussion guidelines

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread is about the rent freeze policy proposal. This is an important subject of discussion that affects millions of lives.

Politicians are not protected on Era, and are subject to criticism, but the allegations against Biden are not the subject of this thread. This can be discussed in any other thread on the topic - of which there are several. We have no interest in shutting down discussion of Reade's account.

Please do not derail this thread further.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Easy to call it when your not president, but I doubt he would actually enact a Rent freeze if he was president. He seems like too much of a corporate bootlicker

MrPoppins

Oct 27, 2017
Silicon Valley - CA
A rent freeze that's rushed out just like the already available mortgage freeze would be almost useless. So you freeze your 2K a month mortgage for say 10 months...great now you owe a 20k lump payment to your lender. If you couldn't make your mortgage payment for 10 months I'm pretty sure you aren't saving up 20k during that time period. Now I have heard some lenders are moving the payments to the backend of the note instead of a lump being due, but that's optional and neither mandated or the norm. An average rental tenant isn't going to be able to pay back their rent at some magical later date either.

A rent freeze only can work if it equally looks after all the stakeholders (though if someone has to get fucked it should be the banks). It is good in theory, but I don't trust our corrupt and incompetent government to be able to put together a package that is fair and effective to those who need it most.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point is, no more landlords, society has moved past the need for landlords.
giphy.gif

Oct 28, 2018
Definitely need to pause mortgages as well. While some landlords are basically just mega corporations, there are plenty of small landlords that will seriously take a hit if they suddenly can't afford the mortgage and have to default on their loan. I say if we want to make a group of people sacrifice a bit, let it be the banks and Wall Street. They're still making plenty of money and they have direct access to assistance from the Federal Reserve.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
Totally support this idea. But more needs to be done...this country just fucks over tenants on a daily basis

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I know a guy in NYC who is work from home with drastic hour reductions. He technically is not unemployed.

But his reduced hours means it is a miracle if he can pay rent, health insurance, and food all in the same month.

See the problem yet?
The PUA under the cares act should still apply to him. He should look into applying for unemployment under that. Most states are being generous on the applicants right now where many are mass approving applications and will visit verify later tog eat money to them ASAP. Of course he needs to be truthful as the states will likely go back and audit many applicants later down the line.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
This wouldn't cover people like contractors or self employed people. It may not cover people who are furloughed or have had their hours cut. It's not nearly good enough.
The PUA expanded unemployment to these very same people. I know because I'm one of them. My state specifically said that people who are furloughed qualify for it too.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is why the lefts turn against electoralism is very dumb. even liberals will change

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Nice this is a good proposal. And to be politically cynical for a minute, it's hopefully a proposal that he won't even have to implement or fight with congress over if he does actually win, assuming most states will be into "turning the economy back on" mode come January 20, 2021.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Are we in for a nationwide equivalent of Virginia where a controversial mainstream Dem executive desperate for approval signs every progressive bill that hits his desk