• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
A great deal of Americans will rally behind him, of all colors and stripes so we don't endure 4 more years of Trump. No amount of AstroTurf pit the left again the "left" shenanigans that happen on forums and twitter will change that.

Interesting scare quotes.

93f.jpg

lmao

would want to see what the actual plan for this past a tweet

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
No way that's happening. The narrative has swung towards opening things back up and getting people back to work. I wouldn't count on even another stimulus check, let alone rent or mortgage freezes.
Actually vast majority of Americans actually think these states are making a mistake. Like undeniable majorities. 65% oppose opening restaurants. 85% oppose opening schools.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Won't someone please think of the poor landlords

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No way that's happening. The narrative has swung towards opening things back up and getting people back to work. I wouldn't count on even another stimulus check, let alone rent or mortgage freezes.

The vast majority of Americans want to still stay in lockdown. When will people learn that Twitter and Facebook =/= real life.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
That can change in an instant once infections sky rocket again. Opening businesses again isn't going to result in the pandemic ending sooner.
I'm not even sure there would be another round of stay-at-home orders if the virus has a second wave. I have very little faith in our elected officials. For example, here in Ohio, Mike DeWine started out with a strong response to the virus. I didn't vote for him and I don't support him, but I was impressed with the speed of his response and his reliance on medical experts to guide his decisions. But lately, he's wavered and shown he's not above bowing to right-wing protests and demands. If things get bad again, I'm not sure he would react with the same quickness; I don't think a lot of people would go along with another lockdown either.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Restera will still rally behind him like they did behind Hillary rather than looking at the bigger picture and apathy towards the broken system.

Or we realize we have been left with a crap choice and one of those choices is way more disastrous than the others and already has done a shitload of damage and things absolutely will not get better and will only get worse if he and the gop get elected in. You aren't going to get the change you want under the gop or trump. Not that Biden is great but less likely to at least not move in an even worse direction. Maybe wait until we don't have a candidate that will absolutely fuck uo this country first? You really think helping trump win (and yes, not voting or voting for some one who has no chance against trump absolutely helps him) will do anything productive?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even sure there would be another round of stay-at-home orders if the virus has a second wave. I have very little faith in our elected officials. For example, here in Ohio, Mike DeWine started out with a strong response to the virus. I didn't vote for him and I don't support him, but I was impressed with the speed of his response and his reliance on medical experts to guide his decisions. But lately, he's wavered and shown he's not above bowing to right-wing protests and demands. If things get bad again, I'm not sure he would react with the same quickness; I don't think a lot of people would go along with another lockdown either.
The second could potentially be worse. That would really fuck things up with no lockdown.

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, we deserve 4 more years, no lessons have been learned and ignorance is still prevailing.
Anyone thinking it's just 4 more years can't see the forest for the trees. If Trump stacks the courts for another 4 years, it will be the death knell for progressive politics for the next thirty or forty years no matter which progressive you'd be willing to vote for in five years time.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Good. He finally has a clear cut good policy with no compromises. Can't even hate on this issue.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I thought most people already had mortgage relief? Aren't there several threads on this? Do landlords not qualify?

Rent relief is a great idea, but announcing the initiative at the end of the month isn't going to help many people tomorrow.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Is Biden actually left leaning or is he just throwing the left a few bones before the elections so as not to split their base?

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
It's good that people know, anyway, both candidates to presidency are alledged rapists so at this point, as fucked up as that sounds, you just gotta pick the lesser evil of the two and that's Biden by a hundred miles.
I got a plan!
vote for Biden in November then ask him to step down in January and let his VP replace him

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't go far enough. You need a rent and a mortgage freeze. Can't do rent without freezing mortgages.

Is Biden actually left leaning or is he just throwing the left a few bones before the elections so as not to split their base?

He is not left-leaning in any way, shape, or form, and he'll give some token policies to the left in order to try and placate them to show up in November.

I got a plan!
vote for Biden in November then ask him to step down in January and let his VP replace him

With what leverage? This is magical thinking.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

CannonBallBob

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Off-topic derailing, antagonizing other users with inflammatory accusations over a series of posts
When will he call for a nationwide call to Believe Women?

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Every Biden thread is gonna he like this, isn't it
The guy's accused of rape and will likely be president in less than a year. Of course every thread about him is going to have this cloud over it. People are going to take shots at Biden for the next 4 years if elected. It will be a stark contrast the Obama threads from 2008-2017 where there was a regular air of optimism and positivity.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He will be the furthest left general election candidate Democrats have ever run. He's left of Clinton's 2016 run who was well to the left of Obama

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't go far enough. You need a rent and a mortgage freeze. Can't do rent without freezing mortgages.

He is not left-leaning in any way, shape, or form, and he'll give some token policies to the left in order to try and placate them to show up in November.

With what leverage? This is magical thinking.
Biden being ousted after winning the office is unlikely, but the idea of him stepping down, either of his own will or because the party forces him too, is honestly even less likely so I guess you'd rather have Trump? Or do you think after 4 more years of Trump people will finally "come to their senses" and realize Republican policies are shit despite the fact that this strategy has provably not worked in 2016, or really any other situation like this because " burning it down" fundamentally doesn't work, because tumultuous times don't make the masses crave radical progressive change, it makes them crave familiarity and stability

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The guy's accused of rape and will likely be president in less than a year. Of course every thread about him is going to have this cloud over it. People are going to take shots at Biden for the next 4 years if elected. It will be a stark contrast the Obama threads from 2008-2017 where there was a regular air of optimism and positivity.

You and I remember the Obama years very differently, especially once the GoP took back congress...

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017

He's always been about a step left of the party consensus overall. It's not uniform across issues because no candidate is.

Won't someone please think of the poor landlords

Careful here. I know the reaction to landlords inevitably turns to Reign of Terror flashbacks on the internet, but there's a lot of long term damage to missing middle housing stocks that can happen if landlords go underwater on smaller multifamily units and convert to renting out single family homes because they can be sold to non-renters once leases are up. And those units will go underwater vs. their underlying property value if no one wants to buy them if the risk of getting a renter who can't pay and can't be evicted is too high due to the regulatory environment.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can we not have another thread just turn into a Biden is a rapist so you shouldn't vote/you need to vote for him anyway thread. And like...actually discuss the topic on hand?

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
You and I remember the Obama years very differently, especially once the GoP took back congress...
Yeah, shit got dark after the 2010 mid-term elections. But people were still very much positive about the man--Obama--himself. I doubt there will be nearly that level of positivity surrouding Biden because: 01.) He doesn't have Obama's charisma, and 02.) You know, that rape allegation hovering over his head.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rather than round 1,223,971 of "Rapist" vs. "If you don't vote for him you must love Trump" maybe we could talk about the politics and policy of this.

As policy, it's nothing, since the federal government doesn't have the power to do this.

It's pretty good politics, though. Hopefully it will force Trump to respond, and this is one area where his populist streak might not prevail rhetorically since he is probably more sympathetic to landlords than tenants.