• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
GENEVA - Four times as many jobs were lost last year due to the coronavirus pandemic as during the worst part of the global financial crisis in 2009, a U.N. report said Monday.

The International Labor Organization estimated that the restrictions on businesses and public life destroyed 8.8% of all work hours around the world last year. That is equivalent to 255 million full-time jobs - quadruple the impact of the financial crisis over a decade ago.

"This has been the most severe crisis for the world of work since The Great Depression of the 1930s. Its impact is far greater than that of the global financial crisis of 2009," said ILO Director-General Guy Ryder. The fallout was almost equally split between reduced work hours and "unprecedented" job losses, he said.

The United Nations agency noted that most people who lost work stopped looking for a job altogether, likely because of restrictions on businesses that hire in big numbers like restaurants, bars, stores, hotels and other services that depend on face-to-face interactions.

The drop in work translates to a loss of $3.7 trillion in income globally — what Ryder called an "extraordinary figure" — with women and young people taking the biggest hits.

The ILO report expects a bounce back in jobs in the second half of the year. But that depends on a reduction in coronavirus infections and the rollout of vaccines. Currently, infections are rising or remain stubbornly high in many countries and vaccine distribution is still slow overall.

www.thestar.com

Job losses from virus 4 times as bad as ‘09 financial crisis

GENEVA - Four times as many jobs were lost last year due to the coronavirus pandemic as during the worst part of the global financial crisis in 2009, ...

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Been out of work for 6 months. There was no dodging this in my industry.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah this is why we need actual stimulus for the population instead of just corporations. this shit is only getting worse and we better stop putting forward half ass measures.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Been unemployed 7 months. Entry level positions were already few and hard to get, its been much worse lately.

I'm about to start driving for uber eats/door dash/whatever

someone please hire me

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't worked since May 1. Every job I apply to in my field gets like 200 applicants on the first day.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Is a 2008 style recession likely to happen in late 2021 or are we through the worst of it?

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been unemployed 7 months. Entry level positions were already few and hard to get, its been much worse lately.

someone please hire me
my friends have been doing amazon fresh deliveries as a side job and its paying pretty good. i would give that a try before uber or door dash.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I can't even express how grateful I am that I haven't been affected, I hope something comes for you guys soon
My father was hit and now he's driving for Uber, he's 76 smdh I send money when I can but I still don't like that he has to do it. He should be retiring but America.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, 2009. I graduated that year and had a job rescinded about 2 months prior to graduating. Had the offer for about 4 months and didn't spend any time looking. Got lucky and landed the job I'm still at. Fortunately for me, I'm in an industry that serves public works and am therefore basically recession proof.

Really sorry for those still hurting during this time.

Nov 18, 2020

someone please hire me

Have you tried very unpopular careers that will train entry level? Military, police, security, prison guard, etc.? Many people won't consider them but they are still hiring even now.

On-topic, I can believe it. Entry level travel and hospitality jobs have been WIPED OUT. I'd like to think they will come roaring back once everyone gets a vaccine, but that's wishful thinking. It makes the existing jobs in the field exponentially harder to get.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I lost my job in the '09 crisis but so far have been ok with this one (busier than usual in fact). Wish we didn't have to keep going through these every 10 years and my third so far (dot-com bubble, 08-09, Covid...) Edit nearly forgot! I did lose my job in the dot-com bubble when eToys.com closed. Worked there for less than a year though. That means I'm 2 for three so far however the current one isn't finished yet 😱.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I lost my first post-grad job about 5 months before the pandemic hit. It was seemingly impossible to find another one during that time and I ended up working retail.

2021 and I'm still working retail. It's a fucking nightmare.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I'm lucky enough to still be in furlough from Universal Studios. But finding a new job now have been impossible.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Been unemployed for 9 months almost...can't even manage to get a retail or grocery store job lol

sucks but also gives me a lot of time to work on drawing and modeling skills

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Have you tried very unpopular careers that will train entry level? Military, police, security, prison guard, etc.? Many people won't consider them but they are still hiring even now.

Well, I recently graduated with a computer science degree, so its not like there's no jobs, as programming is a big field and can be done remotely. Its just the few entry level positions that come up are very competitive. I had a one year internship 2 years ago, so its not like I have zero experience, but its still tough. I've only been looking in my state though, but that might have to change.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Man, I'm really fortunate the job I currently have has basically all the income derived from government military spending.

Because if there's one thing that America will never do, even in a depression, it is to stop spending money on the military.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Had to switch careers mid corona, but otherwise am doing pretty good tbh

My fiance was furloughed for like 6 months last year but we are actually pretty solid right now

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
What's killing me is I am in desperate need of people at my store. Like I would hire 5-10 people on the spot, but the few people who are applying wont answer or return my phone calls. I've been asking some regular customers if they know anyone who needs a job.

I know it's retail, but damn. It's a job, and the pay is decent enough considering it's retail.

I've offered a job to a few of my server friends who have been out of a job for months, and they tell me "No thanks, I don't want to work retail.", and then I watch as they complain every few days on Facebook about being out of work. I OFFERED YOU A $10/HR JOB!!!!

So if any of you need a job in Birmingham, Alabama, hit me up! I got you!

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
What's killing me is I am in desperate need of people at my store. Like I would hire 5-10 people on the spot, but the few people who are applying wont answer or return my phone calls. I've been asking some regular customers if they know anyone who needs a job.

I know it's retail, but damn. It's a job, and the pay is decent enough considering it's retail.

I've offered a job to a few of my server friends who have been out of a job for months, and they tell me "No thanks, I don't want to work retail.", and then I watch as they complain every few days on Facebook about being out of work. I OFFERED YOU A $10/HR JOB!!!!

Who can live off of $20,800 a year?

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
IDK, man, at that point I rather just just be a gig worker. $10/hr was how much I was making as a child.

Is it really appropriate to be a job elitist and basically put down a job as a "child" job? A job is a fucking job, and stable money coming in is better than no money coming in. You don't need to be high and mighty and pretend some jobs are beneath you, or beneath anyone, especially in a time when it could make a difference.

Oct 31, 2017
I believe it.

At the end of 2019, I was working at a newspaper and then quit my job. I quit because my parents were moving halfway across the country to a place with much greater opportunity, my specialized job knowledge built up over the few years I was there was being rendered 85% obsolete, and the newspaper business in general was/is on its deathbed in general.

I quit and moved literally a month before COVID-19 showed up here in the U.S.

I've been unemployed for this whole last year living with my parents as a bum 30 year old.

I tried looking for jobs when we first moved down here, but by about the end of March/start of April, I'd given up on the hopes of gaining a job doing what I was doing (a database admin with a more uncommon db language) and have basically languished in the last year.

It sucks bad but it's mostly my own making. I basically just turned off any attempt at trying to find any kind of new job so long as this disease was running rampant here in the U.S., especially considering my pre-existing conditions/medical history.

Not sure what I'm going to do after I get vaccinated honestly. I'm not feeling too much despair currently, mostly because I'm privileged as fuck to have my parents, but going a whole year without employment, especially after having a nice paying salaried, technical job for the last 5 definitely sucks...

Me personally, I value my health and the health of my family much more than I do a meagre wage and I'm not willing to compromise myself for what would be chump change, especially since I have the privilege to do this.

If I didn't have this safety net, I honestly don't know what I'd do...

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Is it really appropriate to be a job elitist and basically put down a job as a "child" job? A job is a fucking job, and stable money coming in is better than no money coming in. You don't need to be high and mighty and pretend some jobs are beneath you, or beneath anyone, especially in a time when it could make a difference.

Job isn't a job. It's exchanging the most valuable thing you have, time in this earth, for wealth. That ten dollars an hour also means that is one less hour that could be spent finding a job that pays more.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

My unemployment would be nearly $650 a week here. $10 would be far less a week on a 40 hour week, especially after taxes. However, if there's a cut-off of hours I could work and still get unemployment I might would pick up those hours.

I'd have to weigh spending time with my kids, and time looking for another job. I already don't get to see them much working full-time.

I don't know why people without unemployment that need a little income would turn you down though. 🤷‍♂️

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

10 dollars an hour? That's 8 bananas per day.

But seriously. No one is gonna work for $10 an hour. That is just insulting.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Job isn't a job. It's exchanging the most valuable thing you have, time in this earth, for wealth. That ten dollars an hour also means that is one less hour that could be spent finding a job that pays more.

I fucking hate this mentality. It's the same bullshit all the old white people yell at me when I wont give them a discount because they misread a sale sign.

It IS a job. A job that all you people with "real" jobs come to ME for to buy your shit, and not everyone has the same privileges and upbringing as you to get some "better" paying job.

I started this job making $7.25 as a high school drop out who had to leave school to raise my siblings due to my drug addict mother passing, and my poor family never had the financials for me to even THINK of going to college, and I'm now making $20/hr, which is more than I could ever ask for considering I came from literally nothing.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I fucking hate this mentality. It's the same bullshit all the old white people yell at me when I wont give them a discount because they misread a sale sign.

It IS a job. A job that all you people with "real" jobs come to ME for to buy your shit, and not everyone has the same privileges and upbringing as you to get some "better" paying job.

I started this job making $7.25 as a high school drop out who had to leave school to raise my siblings due to my drug addict mother passing, and my poor family never had the financials for me to even THINK of going to college, and I'm now making $20/hr, which is more than I could ever ask for considering I came from literally nothing.
Working for $10 an hour is literally a waste of time. You could invest that time into something part time while looking for work. You could most likely make that type of money just buy bringing in bottles each day from scrounging around town.

People aren't gonna waste a lot of their day on this.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The point is that people in retail are grossly underpaid, not that it's not a real or important job. An argument against raising wages that I've seen is that it's a stop-gap job for young adults, not a job meant for adults with families to support themselves with. Which is obviously outrageous and naïve.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Guess I'll just fuck off then, I guess.
Or you could pay people more and higher less people if that's an option? Like, it's retail and $10. That's automatically going to make a lot of people who have working experience flinch. Like, have you seen what skip/uber/doordash/etc pay people to just drive around and deliver stuff? Probably more than $10, so why would they want to work retail?

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Or you could pay people more and higher less people if that's an option? Like, it's retail and $10. That's automatically going to make a lot of people who have working experience flinch.
If the current budget is to pay 5-10 additional people at $10/hour, but there aren't any candidates applying, it sure seems like management should target fewer hires but pay them more.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York

There's jobs where taking $10 an hour would be acceptable despite making more potentially just being on unemployment, for example working as an intern in a laboratory. Working retail at a grocery store isn't one of them. Of course what you, and what you are offering is a real job. However there potentially are better uses of a person's time for long term or possibly even short term success than what you're offering. It doesn't inherently mean they're turning their nose up at you but trying to just position themselves better for career growth.

If the current budget is to pay 5-10 additional people at $10/hour, but there aren't any candidates applying, it sure seems like management should target fewer hires but pay them more.

Also this.

Nov 18, 2020

This seems like an unpopular opinion here, but I kind of agree with you.

Like I'm the first person who will tell you $10 / hour is a bullshit wage that exploits labor.

But personally I value working continuously and having a steady living more than the uncertainty and depression that accompanies rampant unemployment. Even if it's beneath my worth, it gets me out of the house and rebuilds my confidence. That is worth the sacrifice, even only temporary. I've lived through unemployment hell and I would take anything not to experience it ever again. It just destroys you.

There are jobs nowadays that people overlook because they think it's beneath them. That's your right to believe that, but there are technically jobs out there. You might be bored out of your mind or working something you hate, but entry-level jobs still exist.

It can be very hard to see that when you've worked your entire life in a particular industry and it's suddenly vanished, though.

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
10 dollars an hour? That's 8 bananas per day.

But seriously. No one is gonna work for $10 an hour. That is just insulting.

Yep. I watched my old job for years struggle to get anything done while being constantly understaffed. The company suits would constantly ask my boss what they could do to help get the store staffed back up. Her answer was always the same: "offer more than $10 an hour." Which despite them saying they would do anything to help, they wouldn't do that.

You can say "a job is a job". But, what's the difference between not being able to afford my bills while working 40 hours a week, and not being able to afford my bills while not working?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

someone please hire me
A work friend quit our corporate office job to do Doordash full time, as he was making more than enough money to survive. Planned to buy a cheap electric car like a used Prius to up his profits. Kid really had it calculated out. Started making more money than our job while working half of the hours.

Will depend on your area of course but definitely give it a shot.

Don't lose hope.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Or you could pay people more and higher less people if that's an option?

It's not possible in my store unfortunately, We're not a grocery store or a big box store like Target/Best Buy/Walmart. We don't have the funds to throw more money at people. We also have a wide range of hours to cover across multiple different positions that people can't just pull double duty on, and just hiring less people and paying more isn't an option because I need several people in every position so that there is overlap and back up for those spots so that the staff ISN'T overworked.

Not every retail store is some evil monster that makes butt loads of money. We're a retail store that caters to a particular type of customer, and there's very little margin on the products we sell, and very little is actually charged for most of it. We do not sell a single item that people "need."

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not possible in my store unfortunately, We're not a grocery store or a big box store like Target/Best Buy/Walmart. We don't have the funds to throw more money at people. We also have a wide range of hours to cover across multiple different positions that people can't just pull double duty on, and just hiring less people and paying more isn't an option because I need several people in every position so that there is overlap and back up for those spots so that the staff ISN'T overworked.

Not every retail store is some evil monster that makes butt loads of money. We're a retail store that caters to a particular type of customer, and there's very little margin on the products we sell, and very little is actually charged for most of it. We do not sell a single item that people "need."

Your goal is to hire more people so that your staff isn't overworked but because you're not willing to pay a bit more to retain workers either your existing workers or you are being overworked to make up. How are you guys managing to keep the store open now? Are people working extra hours, possibly overtime? If you're paying overtime wages, hiring a few extra people for maybe $12 an hour instead would net you reliable workers and you don't need to pay overtime. Are your guys doing 40hrs now and the added workforce will let you provide ~30hr weekly shifts to everyone? That'd be easier on the surface but makes for a chaotic schedule with hours that certainly take it below a livable wage. And if money's so tight how can they afford to pay you $20/hr?

The things you state here sound like typical excuses small business owners give in lieu of raising wages for his employees.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I spent more than half of 2020 trying to get my job--while I'm extremely thankful for it, I'm starting to get nightmares over losing it due to this recession.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017

Opening a store full of things people don't need that requires many underpaid workers on the floor which will cause high turnover.
Sounds like a shitty business plan.

Probably a good reason you aren't saying what your store actually sells.