• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Painted over mustache is THE Joker look. Don't @ me.

qwjvDmD.jpg

Did he dye his hair green or was that a wig?

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I think it's just trying to show that the Joker has never been portrayed as anything other than monstrous.
Except the post was claiming that it meant Mark Hamill's portrayal of the joker isn't a better portrayal than Leto or Phoenix, or at least the only way I can interpret what they said, when if anything the reason people dislike Leto is because the weird gangster look and personality makes him harder to take serious and be intimdated by

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I've stated before my hopes that this movie doesn't turn into a Clockwork Orange/Fight Club type of situation, but even I'll admit that the pre-emptive hand-wringing over this movie has been something else.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
At this point, I think some people WANT something to happen just so they can say "I was right! A movie theater shooting at around the release of The Joker will make those people secretly giddy.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
It's like some blue checkmark assholes WANT something to happen to feel vindicated.
They definitely do. They are awful people who make this movie as some sort of beacon for demented individuals, they should feel ashamed of themselves because they definitely want their views vindicated.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
At this point, I think someone people WANT something to happen just so they can say "I was right! A movie theater shooting at around the release of The Joker will make those people giddy on the inside.
You know, this post is the one that made me finally realise why this movie in particular is getting so much scrutiny. I think its a side effect of the Aurora shooter, so having a movie that the trailers suggest, might try to humanise or justify the Joker in someway, people think back to the real shooting where the shooter thought of himself as the Joker and people are scared it'll happen again

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why people ask questions with such obvious answers. What the fuck is he supposed to respond to some dumb ass question like that?

Something like 'We were careful when making the film not to glorify the violence' or 'I think entertainment is often a scapegoat for horrific acts but the causes lie elsewhere'.

You ask a question with obvious answers to get those obvious answers on record, as not addressing it reads as not considering it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I think some people WANT something to happen just so they can say "I was right! A movie theater shooting at around the release of The Joker will make those people secretly giddy.

I don't think anyone wants it to happen but there's definitely a fear, earned or not, that the film will be idolized and in some way acted out on by individuals teetering on the edge. As others said this isn't the first movie from the point of view of a violent killer, but this one is gonna get a lot of play I think and so it's going to get a lot of the handwringing.

AnythingElse

Oct 25, 2017
The joker has always been a monster, entertaining for some, but there have been acts he has committed that have been definitely been disturbing (just look at his murder of Jason Todd or his acts in The Killing Joke). Therefore, I do not see the issue.

This just feels like whenever the media attempts to blame violent video games for "inciting acts of violence".

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Its confusing. There are tons of violent movies and movies about revenge, but a DC movie is getting backlash? What.

It's because they made a version of the Joker that fits the character traits Incels and the Alt-Right have been projecting on him, and not, you know...The character traits of the freaking Joker.

People feel worried because this movie gives life to the Incel symbol, as Joker has never been depicted as a "Society turned me into this! Look what YOU made me do! Poor me!" in popular media before.

It's not that hard to understand where the worries come from.

I don't personally think this movie will be the reason of any mass shootings, but they deliberately made a movie that features what these people think the Joker is, and not the actual clown prince of crime. I kinda hate that

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Something like 'We were careful when making the film not to glorify the violence' or 'I think entertainment is often a scapegoat for horrific acts but the causes lie elsewhere'.

You ask a question with obvious answers to get those obvious answers on record, as not addressing it reads as not considering it.
But he didn't write or direct the film.

Oct 25, 2017
As he should. What a fucking stupid question.

It's like some blue checkmark assholes WANT something to happen to feel vindicated.
This is some sick shit. Imagine thinking that a movie is what's going to inspire an event in a time where many have happened already.
Events that have happened for reasons we already know of, but these weak fucking idiots are trying to pin it on a film yet to be released?

Last edited:

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
? I feel like this is a pretty common theme in the Batman universe.
True but its never been the Joker's thing specifically because having that be the motivation for the one guy who is meant to be essentially a force of chaos more than a person kinda just feels like a justification for something that can't be justified.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I haven't seen these spoilers, what potentially pro incel stuff are you referring to?
From what I have heard joker is seen as a hero by the public, that he is fighting back against a corrupt Gotham. Of course I will need to view the film to see if that's in the proper perspective. Also this version of the joker seems to be a incel in terms of his motivation for his actions.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Right, which is why every time a season of 13 Reasons Why comes out, nobody makes any fuss over whether or not anyone has ever felt encouraged by the show to take their own lives. Art, as we all know, has no actual influence on anybody.
Gangster rap made me a cop killer in the 90s, video games made me kill even more people in the 00s and Joker is now going to make me an incel mass murderer.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, they shouldn't get a free pass. Obviously it's art and they should be able to make what they want. But in a lot of ways this glorifies the crazy white male loner who is misunderstood by the world, some goes on a killing spree. It's a lazy take on the character and they shouldn't have make him start some movement, as if he's justified.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Gangster rap made me a cop killer in the 90s, video games made me kill even more people in the 00s and Joker is now going to make me an incel mass murdered.
Acting as if people can't be allowed to be concerned about the movies potential impact because some forms of art have been accused of having negative effects in the past and it been wrong while responding to a comment showing an example of a piece of art that is proven to have had a negative impact seems a tad callous and bizarre to me.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
? I feel like this is a pretty common theme in the Batman universe.

Not for the Joker, ever.

Joker gives absolutely 0 shits about who he was and what he lived, that guy wasn't funny anyways.

Which is exactly the problem, this kind of movie could've worked with many Batman villains, the whole "Gotham is a cursed city" thing and all that. You could've made this movie with the Riddler, Poison Ivy, The Penguin, Mr Freeze, anyone that Gotham has fucked over and left them angry about it

But they chose to use the one character who doesn't constantly try to paint himself as some victim of the injustices of society, but the one that incels and the alt-right have made into some sort of symbol because they THINK he does and that those injustices he fights against are women not giving them sex.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Acting as if people can't be allowed to be concerned about the movies potential impact because some forms of art have been accused of having negative effects in the past and it been wrong while responding to a comment showing an example of a piece of art that is proven to have had a negative impact seems a tad callous and bizarre to me.
The only thing that's bizarre is this film turning progressive liberals into hand wringing right wingers scared of art.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gangster rap made me a cop killer in the 90s, video games made me kill even more people in the 00s and Joker is now going to make me an incel mass murdered.
I know you have more than the intellectual depth of a puddle and can appreciate that people and the world generally are just ever so slightly more complex than that. Surely.

Or do you reject the notion that, for example, mass killings should be reported without glamour, because to report it in certain ways may result in a knock-on increase in similar events? Do you think that sexist, sexualizing, objectifying media has no effect whatsoever on the way women are treated? Do you think that racist propaganda has zero effect on the way racial minorities are treated?

Do you really think that media and art have zero ability to affect the way and things that people think and feel?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
TBH I'm def on the idea that it seems there is a sizeable portion of people trying to will this into exisitance and make it a thing moreso than there actually being a legitimate concern to be aware of

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I know you have more than the intellectual depth of a puddle and can appreciate that people and the world generally are just ever so slightly more complex than that. Surely.

Or do you reject the notion that, for example, mass killings should be reported without glamour, because to report it in certain ways may result in a knock-on increase in similar events? Do you think that sexist, sexualizing, objectifying media has no effect whatsoever on the way women are treated? Do you think that racist propaganda has zero effect on the way racial minorities are treated?

Do you really think that media and art have zero ability to affect the way and things that people think and feel?
So is the conversation now about the media or is it about art?

I'm getting dizzy from the jumping and spinning in your post.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
TBH I'm def on the idea that it seems there is a sizeable portion of people trying to will this into exisitance and make it a thing moreso than there actually being a legitimate concern to be aware of
You genuinely think its more likely people WANT a shooting rather than are concerned by the possibility of one?

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what solutions those whom are against this movie propose? Censorship? I mean I'm trying to understand the logic behind it but I just can't.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So is the conversation now about the media or is it about art?

I'm getting dizzy from the jumping and spinning in your post.
You must have a delicate constitution. The film is both, and both are capable of doing those things. There's no great leaps being made in my post, unlike your response to my original post where you turned my "art can be influential" into "I've played GTA and I'VE NEVER KILLED ANYONE."

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Notice how he used this funny, very uncommon word known as AND to show he was talking about both media and art
The conversation was about art. Suddenly jumping to media coverage is an entirely different conversation and not what we were discussing.

It was an attempt to pivot the conversation and muddy it. It's like I'm in the fox news Twitter comment section.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Man those joker gamer memes really broke some people.

Do someone really compare this film to birth of a nation up above?

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I wonder what solutions those whom are against this movie propose? Censorship? I mean I'm trying to understand the logic behind it but I just can't.
IF, and this is an if, the movie glorify's its version of the Joker then the best solution would have been to not make the film in the first place. Since that obvously didn't happen then if does do that, the next best thing is for people to make it clear that it doing so was not okay and shouldn't be done. Doesn't need banned or anything like that. It would just need to be
Man those joker gamer memes really broke some people.

Do someone really compare this film to birth of a nation up above?
Only bringing it up to show how film's can have negative societal impacts so people acting as if it being art should mean people can't be concerned about its impact is silly.
A movie over 100 years old. Ah yes, I too remember the forum conversations when that film came out.
Its age doesn't change the fact it is an example of how art can affect society negatively

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
You must have a delicate constitution. The film is both, and both are capable of doing those things. There's no great leaps being made in my post, unlike your response to my original post where you turned my "art can be influential" into "I've played GTA and I'VE NEVER KILLED ANYONE."
My post was calling attention to the fact these conversations are bizarre and have been happening my entire lifetime and have always been stupid and an attempt to attach blame to art instead of examining the root causes.

Joker is getting attention because its holding up a mirror to what is already there. And people are upset because it is easier to attack the film than address the real issues.

I will always call out that stupidity and brainless conversation.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
IF, and this is an if, the movie glorify's its version of the Joker then the best solution would have been to not make the film in the first place. Since that obvously didn't happen then if does do that, the next best thing is for people to make it clear that it doing so was not okay and shouldn't be done. Doesn't need banned or anything like that. It would just need to be

Only bringing it up to show how film's can have negative societal impacts so people acting as if it being art should mean people can't be concerned about its impact is silly.

Its age doesn't change the fact it is an example of how art can affect society negatively
The US was doing so well on race relations before that fim too. Shame.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Title is misleading. The article says this:

"Joaquin Phoenix later came back and finished the interview after talking with Warner Bros. PR over the question."

So the reason he left is because he was caught off-guard and didn't quite know how to answer, so he went to check with PR over the question. Title makes it seem like he flipped the table and ragequit the interview or something.
HOLLYWOOD Star LOSES it and RAMPAGES out of interview, returns later to FINISH the job.