• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Is it kinda of a bullshit question? Yes

But I am shocked they weren't ready for it

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd had an answer ready. Something about trying to shine a spotlight on those people and that Joker isn't meant to be glorified or to inspire people.

Oct 27, 2017
The agenda's baked into this movie by design. It's perfect marketing for the movie

Is it really though? It seems to be something that's forced onto this movie in particular for some reason, probably because it vaguely connects with real world type manifesto bullshit, but I don't see what makes this particular movie so special in that regard. It may have an added effect of free marketing but I doubt the intention behind this was that.

Its confusing. There are tons of violent movies and movies about revenge, but a DC movie is getting backlash? What.

Because some people are defining this as Sympathetic Incel: The Movie. I haven't seen it, maybe it is, but that's not anything unique to this film.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd had an answer ready. Something about trying to shine a spotlight on those people and that Joker isn't meant to be glorified or to inspire people.
Yep, cause now it will be all about "Phoenix walked away when asked this question"

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
What a stupid question. Joker isn't the first psychopath depicted on screen.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Joker is not the problem, problem is that you can buy gun as easy as beer in the USA.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Caesar Romero will always be my Joker

Painted over mustache is THE Joker look. Don't @ me.

qwjvDmD.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Makes sense for him to consult with WB PR before answering such a loaded question, some people have it out for this movie to be a mass shooter manifesto.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If he walked off to check with pr then odds are he thinks it will but didn't want to give the answer with out approval.

well, if he just said "no i don't"

you'd probably see headlines like "joaquin phoenix not concerned about joker inspiring bad people"

i cant say what joaquin thinks other than he thought the question deserves an especially delicate answer

i dunno though, this whole interaction seems fine to me

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
i don't agree the question is bullshit.

ive always been a fan of Batman and it's universe but I'm afraid of whether or not It will be celebrated and not consumed as a character study film about a mans breakdown into a psychopath.

I don't have a problem the movie was made. I have a problem with the current state of our affairs as people are embracing nationalism and extremism around the world. I don't think it's fair to point at this film and badmouth it's quality. I'm not doing that.

.... we can have this conversation. Releasing it to groups of mentally ill individuals who are ready to embrace this as "their movie" or champion it as some sort of "apathy for dummies".

this opinion I hold is in no way attacking the quality of the film. I'm sure Phoenix worked his ass off and may deserve an Oscar nod. I'm a big fan of character study movies.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I never understood why people ask questions with such obvious answers. What the fuck is he supposed to respond to some dumb ass question like that?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fandom (screen junkies) just released their review of the movie and they talk about this aspect of the film and i found it interesting

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously people are talking about this so I don't see why it's a dumb question. The fact that he had to walk away and get advice is strange. You'd think they would be gone over this beforehand.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

ive always been a fan of Batman and it's universe but I'm afraid of whether or not It will be celebrated and not consumed as a character study film about a mans breakdown into a psychopath.

I don't have a problem the movie was made. I have a problem with the current state of our affairs as people are embracing nationalism and extremism around the world. I don't think it's fair to point at this film and badmouth it's quality. I'm not doing that.

.... we can have this conversation. Releasing it to groups of mentally ill individuals who are ready to embrace this as "their movie" or champion it as some sort of "apathy for dummies".

this opinion I hold is in no way attacking the quality of the film. I'm sure Phoenix worked his ass off and may deserve an Oscar nod. I'm a big fan of character study movies.

I dunno, if it's one of those endless interview days to promote a film then i think it's a pretty shitty way to ask, a seperate interview doing a serious look at the movie is another thing, i'm not sure what this interview was though.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019

I think the movie will be fine as long as it portrays the Joker as,you know, the Joker. A maniac to such an extreme degree that no matter what his backstory is, it still wouldn't justify his actions.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If he walked off to check with pr then odds are he thinks it will but didn't want to give the answer with out approval. Tricky question when you're supposed to be promoting your film in a positive light.
It's way more complicated than that. This is a very loaded question and almost any way he responds to it would be spun for bad publicity. As we can see above and you're doing right here.

If he straight up said "no." He could seem callous or ignorant. If he provided a rationale, it might not be prepared enough to be based in evidence and thus, seem hollow. If he said "yes," well, I'd have to imagine WB would have some legal problems there.

I'm more surprised that they hadn't already gone over his answers to a question like this.

edit: to clarify, I'm not defending this movie. I'm not really sure what I think about this being a mass-marketed movie. Seems more appropriate for Art-Houses a la The House that Jack Built, where people won't just take the film on face value. No matter how well executed a piece of art, people will misunderstand it--intentionally if they have to.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Loved the old show growing up, it was decades old even then but it was still great kids tv. Wonder if it still holds up nowadays.
If you go in with the right mindset to embrace the completely intentional humor and campiness, I'd argue that you can find Batman 66' engaging in a whole different way then you did as a kid.